PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Psionic Knowstones/Runestaves?

balistafreak
2010-07-30, 06:46 PM
Sorcerers can get Runestaves to expand their spell selection, and if Dragon Magazine is allowed can get Knowstones to flat out increase their spells known. Do any such items exist for psionic classes?

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-30, 07:02 PM
Keep a collection of kidnapped rival psions. You can manifest powers from their unconscious minds.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-30, 07:33 PM
Any powerstone can be used to manifest a power without burning the stone by spending three rounds and useing your own power points. There are some checks involved.

The rules are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#manifestAnUnknownPowerFr omAnothersPowersKnown)

FMArthur
2010-07-30, 07:49 PM
You can also use an Erudite, who can learn powers from Power Stones.

And he doesn't even need them, although it is convenient: craft all of your powers into Power Stones, then use Psychic Reformation to choose new powers. Repeat as much as you feel you need, then re-learn all the powers you put into Power Stones (and remove the crafting feat if you don't want it anymore). This is a fairly wasteful use of experience, though. You may end up more than a level behind.

Mawhrin Skel
2010-07-31, 06:16 PM
Any powerstone can be used to manifest a power without burning the stone by spending three rounds and useing your own power points. There are some checks involved.

The rules are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#manifestAnUnknownPowerFr omAnothersPowersKnown)

That's a very poorly written section that lurches from talking about characters and creatures only to power stones too. The key section on manifesting excludes power stones:

Upon successfully making contact with another willing psionic character or creature and learning what he can of one power in particular, the character can immediately attempt to manifest that power even if he doesn’t know it (and assuming he has power points left for the day)

I'd be inclined to rule that manifesting from a stone always burns the stone: it'd be way too overpowered otherwise as a psionic character could manifest any power (and with psychic reformation and imprint stone wouldn't even need to collect stones to use).

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-31, 06:53 PM
I'd be inclined to rule that manifesting from a stone always burns the stone: it'd be way too overpowered otherwise as a psionic character could manifest any power (and with psychic reformation and imprint stone wouldn't even need to collect stones to use).

Keep in mind that the manifesting from an outside source thing both requires three seperate Psicraft checks, and is limited to once per power per day.

balistafreak
2010-07-31, 07:02 PM
Keep in mind that the manifesting from an outside source thing both requires three seperate Psicraft checks, and is limited to once per power per day.

Could you carry multiples of said stones, though, just in case you booch the rolls? (If I failed a Psicraft check on one of the stones, could I pick up a stone with an identical power in it and try again?)

Because that would help reduce the strain of powers known for hour/level buffs and such. As far as I read, they're manifested at your own ML. Being able to carry around a couple powerstones of Share Pain to manifest out of instead of having that power clog up a power known slot would be priceless for a Wilder. ('Course, then I'd have to find a way to get my Psicraft check up to +16 or so.)

This is a silly houserule because then you might as well just manifest straight from the powerstone as normal. :smalltongue:

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-31, 07:51 PM
Could you carry multiples of said stones, though, just in case you booch the rolls? (If I failed a Psicraft check on one of the stones, could I pick up a stone with an identical power in it and try again?)

If he doesn’t manifest the power, fails the Psicraft check, or manifests a different power, he loses his chance to manifest that power for the day.
It's not explicitly called out, but it certainly sounds like you have one shot a day for any given power, regardless of how many friends/rocks that know it you have available.

balistafreak
2010-07-31, 08:16 PM
It's not explicitly called out, but it certainly sounds like you have one shot a day for any given power, regardless of how many friends/rocks that know it you have available.

But the thing is, is the "that" in "that power" referring to:

1. That particular power in the stone/friend.

OR

2. That power in general, as a whole.

I can see a good case for reading it the first way.

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-31, 08:22 PM
But the thing is, is the "that" in "that power" referring to:

1. That particular power in the stone/friend.

OR

2. That power in general, as a whole.

I can see a good case for reading it the first way.

Of course you can, it works out better for you in the end :smalltongue:
Much like the Erudite's Unique powers per day possibly being powers PER LEVEL per day.

Analytica
2010-07-31, 08:24 PM

According to Complete Psionics, this is also how it works. In my opinion, Complete Psionics has as much claim to Core status as the XPH, so I would not call the above a house rule.

balistafreak
2010-07-31, 08:32 PM
EDIT: Forget it, I'm just talking myself in circles, I see what you're saying now. :smalltongue: