PDA

View Full Version : The Metasculptor (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

Magicyop
2010-07-30, 07:08 PM
The Metasculptor
"What is magic but a method of shaping the universe? Through my craft, I shape magic itself. Mages wield magic as a tool, as a weapon. I have advanced past that."
-Korlak, a Metasculptor

Metasculptors are true adepts who master the craft of magic items, wielding less limited magic from items of their own creation. They are mages who give up their power in order to imbue it into items.

Entry Requirements:
Spellcasting/Manifesting: Able to cast 3rd level spells or manifest 3rd level powers.
Feats: Any two item creation
Skills: Craft(Sculpture) 8 ranks, Knowledge(Arcana) 8 ranks

Hit Dice: d4
Skills: The Metasculptor gains skill points at each level equal to 2 + Int Modifier.
Class skills for the Metasculptor include Knowledge(any), Craft(any), Profession(any), Decipher Script, Use Magic Device, Spellcraft, Psicraft, Autohypnosis.

Metasculptor
{table=head]Level|Base AttackBonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Magesculpt, Item Specialization, Improvised Enchanting|-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Magesculpt, Bonus Item Creation Feat|-

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Magesculpt, Creative Enhancement|-

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Magesculpt, Li'l bit left|-

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Magesculpt, Runewrought Companion|-

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Magesculpt, Bonus Item Creation Feat|-

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Magesculpt, Tinkerswift|-

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Magesculpt, Legendary Companion|-

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Magesculpt, Bonus Item Creation Feat|-

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Archsculpt|-[/table]

[B]Class Features

Spellcasting: The Metasculptor does not gain spells known, powers known, spells per day, or power points. They do not gain caster/manifester levels for the purpose of casting spells or manifesting powers. However, for the purposes of crafting items, their caster level/manifester level increases each level of Metasculptor.

Magesculpt: Magesculpt is the most powerful ability of the Metasculptor. Each level of the prestige class, they may choose one ability(listed below). Each time you level up, you must sacrifice one spell slot of the highest level you know to gain your magesculpt ability for that level. Your magesculpt abilities permanently bind an item to you- other people can possess it, but they may not use it or take advantage of its abilities. You can still create items for other people, but may not use magesculpt.
Ease: -1/4 of the total EXP cost for crafting an item. You may take this ability multiple times, two times subtracting -1/2 from the item's base EXP cost. You may take this more than three times, but every time past the third simply subtracts half of the remaining EXP cost. So taking it 4 times would subtract -7/8 of the EXP cost.
Deftness: -1/4 of the total time taken to craft an item. You may take this ability multiple times, two times subtracting -1/2 from the item's base time. You may take this more than three times, but every time past the third simply subtracts half of the remaining time. So taking it 4 times would subtract -7/8 of the time.
Ingenuity: -1/4 of the total gold cost to craft an item. You may take this ability multiple times, two times subtracting -1/2 from the item's original creation cost. You may take this more than three times, but every time past the third simply subtracts half of the remaining cost. So taking it 4 times would subtract -7/8 of the cost.
Creativity: There is no additional cost for creating items granting a bonus type other than the normal type. This only works for bonuses indicated in the table on creating magic items in the Dungeon Master's Guide.
Advanced Knowledge: You craft items at +1 caster/manifester level.
Irresistible: You give +2 DC to items you create that allow a save.
Item Specialization: You figure out how to fit more magic on your body. You create a new slot on your body. This can be anything that makes sense(a tattoo, some kind of membrane that wraps around you, etc.). You may hold one magic item in this slot, but it must be a magic item specially crafted for that slot. Only you can create magic items for your slot, and only you can use items created for that slot.
Improvised Enchanting: You can craft items even if you don't have the spells required. You can make a Craft(Sculpture) check instead, with the DC equal to (the base cost of the item to be created divided by 3,000).
Bonus Item Creation Feat: You gain a bonus item creation feat at levels 2, 6, and 9.
Creative Enhancement: You can craft items for slots other than their natural body affinity without additional cost. Normally to make something like Boots of Intelligence you would multiply the cost by 1.5, but you can find creative ways to make odd item combinations.
Li'l Bit Left: You can squeeze extra charges out of items that most people would think were exhausted. If you take any item which is either expended permanently of all charges, or expended of its charges for the day, you may squeeze one extra charge use out of it. If this is because it is out of charges for the day, you may do this on the same item each day.
Runewrought Companion: You craft a companion for yourself in the only way you know how- from your items. You may choose one item, and it becomes an intelligent item. It has mental ability scores of 10 + your class level + your modifier for that ability score. It gains communication as indicated on the table for mental ability scores. You can choose two lesser powers for it. You are not subject to be taken over by the item's ego, but anyone else who takes the item is.
Tinkerswift: You may quickly craft an item to help in any situation. Any item which would normally have a creation time of one day may be crafted not only as if there were no minimum, but as if its creation time was one tenth of what it would be. Additionally, you may craft it on minimal materials. As long as there are domestic objects nearby worth 1/2 of what you would pay to make the item, you may craft it using those. You may do this once per day.
Legendary Companion: Your companion item becomes an item of legend. Its lesser abilities can be used at will if they were picked when you created the item, or it gains 5 more ranks in the skills it already has. It gains one more normal lesser power. It also gains one greater power and one special purpose power. However, you must pay the required cost modifier for the dedicated power, but not for any of the others. Additionally, if you call its name, it will leap to your hand as long as there is some unblocked route from it to you. This works at a maximum distance of 10 ft. * class level. The item travels at 30 ft. per round.
Archsculpt: You gain one incredible ability that can be used just like your magesculpt abilities, only you must give up a variable number of spell slots. If you take more spellcasting levels after taking levels of metasculptor, you get back the spell slots you previously lost and lose spell slots from your new highest spell level.
Metaenchantment: You enchant your items with one metamagic feat(you do not need to know this feat.) You must give up a number of spell slots equal to the amount the spell level would be raised by the feat.
Charge Mastery: Charged items are created with either double charges, or if its charges are refreshed daily, double charges per day.
Duration Mastery: For the purposes of crafting continuous items, the duration is treated as though it was one category lower.

I hope it looks alright, please comment and let me know what you think! Even if you hate it. I'm a little worried about balance issues, but I'm not sure, so I'd like some outside opinions. Do you think it's balanced or not? If not, how could I fix it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :smallsmile: I'm new to homebrewing, and any ideas you have that could improve this would be much welcomed. ESPECIALLY more Magesculpt and Archsculpt abilities.

Magicyop
2010-08-01, 09:41 AM
Wow, okay, I think this has fallen low enough that I can safely say I'm not going to get any comments, unless I bump the topic. Which is what I'm doing with this post.

I'd be overjoyed at any comments at all, don't be afraid to post! :smallbiggrin: