PDA

View Full Version : "Fixed" Dread Necromancer Spell List.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-07-30, 08:29 PM
The Dread Necromancer spell list, while actually decent, has some major issues with it. Of course there are some of which most people know(Planar Binding and no magic circle come to mind.). However, there are also a few other flaws with it which I have *attempted* to fix, such as the lack of desecrating abilities. Thus, I have here a subtle altered DN spell list which fixes both the big problems with the lists and also clears up some minor issues. Changes made are in bold.

1st Level: Bane, bestow wound, cause fear, chill touch, detect magic, detect undead, doom, hide from undead, inflict light wounds, ray of enfeeblement, summon undead I, undetectable alignment

2nd Level: Blindness/deafness, command undead, darkness, death knell, Desecrate, false life, gentle repose, ghoul touch, inflict moderate wounds, scare, spectral hand, summon swarm, summon
undead II

3rd Level: Animate Dead, Crushing despair, halt undead, inflict serious wounds, Magic Circle against Good/Evil/Law/Chaos, ray of exhaustion, speak with dead, summon undead III, vampiric touch

4th Level: Bestow curse, contagion, death ward, dispel magic, enervation, Evard’s black tentacles, fear, giant vermin, inlfict critical wounds, phantasmal killer, poison, summon undead IV

5th Level: Blight, cloudkill, fire in the blood, greater dispel magic, insect plague, lesser planar binding, magic jar, mass inflict light wounds, nightmare, oath of blood, slay living, summon undead V, undeath to death, unhallow, waves of fatigue

6th Level: Acid fog, circle of death, create undead, eyebite, geas/quest, harm, mass inflict moderate wounds, planar binding, waves of exhaustion

7th Level: Control undead, destruction, finger of death, greater harm, mass inflict serious wounds, song of discord, vile death

8th Level: Create greater undead, horrid wilting, mass inflct critical wounds, symbol of death

9th Level: Energy drain, imprison soul, mass harm, plague of undead, wail of the banshee

The changes: There are not a lot, and in fact, I only changed four things. The first was of course, adding magical circle so the DN can actually use planar binding spells. That one is self explanatory. The other changes made are rather easily explained as well. The first one is desecrate. Desecrate is a fundamentally essential for any necromancer, and the DN not getting it always struck me as rather, odd. One of the other changes, moving animate dead to level 3, actually has two purposes. The first is simply to make DNs able to compete with clerics effectively as Necros at lower level. The second? Death Ward actually appears TWICE on the DN spell list. While this is most likely a typo on wizard's part, I decided to just move animate dead down to level 3 and at the same time make the 4th change of removing the 3rd level death ward, since a DN will just get it at level 4.

So, any comments on this spell list? Like it better then the standard DN one? Or dose it make the DN too powerful?

Machiavellian
2010-07-30, 08:33 PM
THANK YOU! I love DN, but the spell list was atrocious. You fixed it!

-Hands you a plate of triple chocolate fudge cookies-

Maho-Tsukai
2010-07-30, 08:43 PM
Yeah..I've actually had this fix for a while, and used it in all games I DMed. It's an extremely simple fix and takes care of every issue with the DN's spell list. It's also a fix that, thankfully, most DMs won't deny you, especially since the DN spell list is quite crazy otherwise. Though it makes me wonder if Wizards actually had anybody proofread Heroes of Horror. I mean the double death ward is such a glaring typo that a 5 year old should be able to spot it. Maybe the proofreader was drunk?

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 08:44 PM
O_____O Dread Necromancer's don't get Desecrate?

Other than that I already house ruled the Death Ward and Animate Dead problems. My final ruling on Magic Circle was: you have 3 other casters in the party have one of them cast it for you.

One question though: Isn't Magic Circle usually Lv 3? Why would Dread Necromancers get it at Lv 2 or is it just a typo?

Maho-Tsukai
2010-07-30, 08:46 PM
Thats a typo on my part. XD I will go edit.

Hyooz
2010-07-30, 10:14 PM
I'd strike Greater Harm from the "fixed" spell list just because it's such a bad spell, and it really tarnishes the Dread Necro to have it on there.

Eurus
2010-07-31, 12:05 AM
One word - Deathwatch.