PDA

View Full Version : AC Issues

TechnOkami
2010-07-30, 08:35 PM
So, say I have two classes which enable me to add my wisdom modifier to my AC. Since I'm receiving this bonus from two separate classes, do I gain this twice, or once since it only involves one stat?

Prodan
2010-07-30, 08:36 PM
What kind of a bonus is it? What are the classes?

Starbuck_II
2010-07-30, 08:38 PM
So, say I have two classes which enable me to add my wisdom modifier to my AC. Since I'm receiving this bonus from two separate classes, do I gain this twice, or once since it only involves one stat?

Monk and Ninja do not stack.
Swordsage can't because you can't wear light armor while not at same time.

Prodan
2010-07-30, 08:39 PM
Didn't the TOB errata modify the Swordsage's armor bonus description?

Tengu_temp
2010-07-30, 09:26 PM
Swordsage's AC bonus doesn't stack with monk's or ninja's. Even if it does by RAW (and I'm not sure if it does), it doesn't by RAI, and very few DMs will let you pull it off.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-30, 09:31 PM

HA HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! ToB? ERRATA??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

:smallsigh: You WISH there was ToB errata!

Prodan
2010-07-30, 09:34 PM
Stop mocking me.

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-30, 09:49 PM
If they are separate abilities from separate sources that can both apply under the same circumstances, and do not specifically state they don't stack, then yes, they would stack. There's no rule against getting a stat to a bonus more than once.

Monk + Ninja, Monk + Swordsage, and Ninja + Swordsage do not fulfill these requirements however, for reasons covered above.

SparkMandriller
2010-07-30, 10:05 PM
Stop mocking me.

I don't think he's mocking you so much as the errata. Because, it's, well, have you read it? It's pretty hard not to mock.

Prodan
2010-07-30, 10:06 PM
Yes, but I'm sure the half of it that applies to the topic on hand is relevant.

SparkMandriller
2010-07-30, 10:18 PM
I just checked, and it doesn't get up to Swordsages before it starts talking about spells. Doesn't look like we're getting any help from errata.

TechnOkami
2010-07-31, 12:03 AM
From a homemade class my GM and I are working on, which allows you to add your wisdom as an insight bonus to your AC. The second would be something like the Swordsage.

Douglas
2010-07-31, 12:31 AM
In that case, it's entirely up to you and your DM's homebrew design. The default would be for it to stack, but RAW for it is whatever you two decide it is.

JaronK
2010-07-31, 12:36 AM
RAW Swordsage and Monk don't stack because Monk is no armor only, while Swordsage is Light Armor Only. RAI they don't stack as per the CustServ answer (yeah, that's dependable) because while Swordsages were evidently supposed to get AC in no armor it wasn't supposed to stack with Monks.

JaronK

Morph Bark
2010-07-31, 04:14 AM
From a homemade class my GM and I are working on, which allows you to add your wisdom as an insight bonus to your AC. The second would be something like the Swordsage.

If it is an insight bonus, it'll stack. The Monk/Ninja/Swordsage Wis bonus to AC is more like an untyped increase of the Dex bonus to AC.

Tshern
2010-07-31, 04:37 AM
CustServ or the FAQ did, there is no ToB erratum.

Acanous
2010-07-31, 05:23 AM
If you're a monk looking for a higher AC, I'd suggest taking a look at Fist of the Forest. Adds Con to AC.

As for the situation with homebrew, depends on the type of bonus.

Morph Bark
2010-07-31, 09:10 AM
If you're a monk looking for a higher AC, I'd suggest taking a look at Fist of the Forest. Adds Con to AC.

As for the situation with homebrew, depends on the type of bonus.

Better yet, Chaos Monk/Battle Dancer/Fist of the Forest/Paladin of Slaughter/Blackguard for insane defenses. (Thank you for stacking, Divine Grace and Dark Blessing.)

Snake-Aes
2010-07-31, 09:19 AM
Wis to AC from monk/sage abilities are not typed nor untyped bonuses. It's "You add your wis mod to ac", not "you have a bonus equal to your wis mod to ac", thus behaving like dex. Any sort of typed/untyped bonus would stack with it.