PDA

View Full Version : Fey Domains and Spells (PEACH)

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 09:55 PM
Okay I had a long running campaign a few years ago and I still have a lot of old homebrew for it that never really got critiqued so I've decided to start posting parts of it here. I'm starting with these because a thread got me thinking about my old fey deities and I wanted the spells I made for them (2) to be critiqued and the domains as well (most spells from PHB, SpC, or PHBII... I forgot to mark the Song domain). This stuff was made a few years ago and nobody had ever looked up stuff online or tried to optimize much so I wouldn't be surprised if I totally mis-rated the power on things. My original design notes are included.

Spells marked with an * are described below, those marked SC are found in the Spell Compendium, CM indicates they are in the Complete Mage and PHBII indicates the Player’s Handbook II.

Domains.

Song Domain
Granted Power: Perform is added to your Cleric (or priest) skill list. You gain a +3 bonus on all Perform checks.
Spells:
1st: Sonic Blast
2nd: Sound Burst
3rd: Sonorous Hum
4th: Battle Hymn
5th: Love’s Lament
6th: Sonic Rumble (uses DF instead of a Focus)
7th: Holy Word/Dictum/Blasphemy/Word of Chaos/Word of Balance (if Deity and priest are both TN)
8th: Lion’s Roar
9th: Wail of the Banshee.
Design Notes: I wanted more song based spells then I ended with (only Lv 3-5) and the remainder are sonic spells. It works though for a bard-priest feel I hope, with Wail of the Banshee being the only non-PWK 9th level word/sound based spell, and at least a banshee’s wail is sometimes described as its song.

Archery Domain:
Granted Power: Weapon Proficiency in one martial bow of choice (not a crossbow) and Weapon Focus in the same. If you also have the War Domain in the same weapon you instead gain Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat.
1st: Arrow Mind (SC)
2nd: Blessed Aim (SC)
3rd: Arrow Storm (SC)
4th: (Melf’s) Slumber Arrows (CM)
5th: Wind Tunnel (SC)
6th: Cat’s Grace, Mass
7th: Arrow of Bone (SC)
8th: Prismatic Bow (CM)
9th: Spirit Arrow*
With this domain I tried to make mainly spells that improved archery with a few that created magical arrows. Mass Cat’s Grace is probably the spell that fits the least, as it is the only one not made specifically for archery but even so it is a staple archery spell.

Fey Domain:
Granted Power: You cast enchantment spells at +1 caster level, Knowledge (Nature) is added to your cleric skill list.
1st: Charm Person
2nd: (Tasha’s) Hideous Laughter
3rd: Deep Slumber
4th: Modify Memory
5th: Dominate Person
6th: Nixie’s Grace (SC)
7th: Greater Bestow Curse (SC)
8th: Nymph’s Grace*
9th: Programmed Amnesia (SC)
With this domain I tried for some general fey-ish spells. Charm and Sleep were obvious choices as were spells to create forgetfulness. Tasha’s Hideous Laughter has always been a pixie spell, and I rounded it out with spells that grant Fey traits.

And spells.
Nymph’s Grace:
Transmutation
Level: Fey 8, (Dru 8, Sor/Wiz 8 see below)
Component: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes/level
The elf maid grins as the weave of mana falls over her. Somehow her beauty seems greater and the orcs howl and scream. They attack, blindly and their blows bounce off. Even those hitting fail to bite through the skin of the nymph.
You take on some of the qualities of a nymph for the duration of the spell (and no this spell does not change your gender). You gain a +8 enhancement bonus to Charisma, low-light vision, DR 10/cold iron, a deflection bonus to your AC equal to your Charisma bonus, a resistance bonus on saves equal to your Charisma bonus, and the ability to make Wild Empathy checks with a +6 racial bonus. Any creature within 30-ft and looking at you must make a Fortitude save or be permanently blinded, if they succeed on their save they cannot be blinded by you and you may suppress or resume this part of the spell as a swift action throughout the duration. Finally as a standard action you may stun a creature within 30-ft with a look, such a creature must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for 2d4 rounds.
A Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard with the Fey Heritage and Fey Power feats or with the fey type may add this spell to their class spell list.
Focus: A lock of hair from a nymph, freely given.
In Setting: This spell is most common amongst the priests of Titania and those of the Queen of Air and Darkness. It is also found in use by many High Elves a breed of elves representing a greater endowment of their natural magical powers. While born of elven parents of any of the three main subraces on the surface of the Three Worlds (i.e. Torivilian elves, normal elves, and Coast elves) they have slightly greater abilities and are truly fey not humanoids. Note Torivilian High Elves are identical to normal High Elves.
The priesthood of Freya would like to be able to perform this spell but thus far it eludes their efforts.

Spirit Arrow
Evocation
Level: Archery 9
Component: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100-ft +10 ft/level)
Effect: 1 Arrow of spiritual energy
Duration: 1 instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
In the elf’s outstretched hands an arrow suddenly forms. Shimmering white and pink it shoots forward striking the dragon in the chest. With a wail the creature dies.
This spell creates an arrow of spiritual energy that attacks the target’s soul directly. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit the target and then the target must make a fortitude save. If it fails its save it dies, this is not a death effect but pure spiritual energy. If the creature makes its fortitude save it takes 10d6 damage +1d6 damage/3 caster levels (max 20d6) and is stunned for 1 round. This spell functions even on constructs (which have an animating spirit) and undead and other creatures without Con stats but does not function on objects. Any creature killed by this spell cannot be revived with anything short of True Resurrection, Miracle, or Wish.
In Setting: This spell is primarily used by the elven priests of Frey. Its history dates far back but it has never been very common and rarely more than a single living mortal can cast this spell at one time.

Chambers
2010-07-30, 10:42 PM
Spirit Arrow should be a death effect. It's okay that it can affect creatures normally immune to death effect, but it should have that exception written into the spell instead of making it not be a death effect, which it is.

Example of what I mean:

Spirit Arrow
Evocation (Death)
Level: Archery 9

Spirit Arrow is a death effect that targets the animating spirit of each creature. Therefore it can effect creatures that are normally immune to death effects, such as constructs and undead.

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 10:57 PM
Thanks. I honestly don't know why I didn't have that already. Anyway is it too strong or too weak for a 9th level spell? Also a bit worried the Nymph one might be too strong for sorcerers.

Chambers
2010-07-30, 11:16 PM
They're powerful, but they're also 8th and 9th level spells. Compare the 8th to Iron Body, and the 9th to Wail of the Banshee, or the lower level Cleric spell Slay Living. The power level seems fine to me. By that I mean they fit into the "Casters Win" category which is the norm for D&D.

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 11:34 PM
Thanks. And well yeah "casters win" is the category that high level spells always fall under, but if they're playable that's what I was theoretically aiming for (I forget what my ultimate aim was, it was 2 [3?] years ago).

Andion Isurand
2010-07-31, 12:11 AM
The original Fey Domain can be found in Book of Exalted Deeds on pg. 86.