PDA

View Full Version : Getting Permission to Write a Novel

Sir Yvain
2010-07-31, 12:18 AM
I want to write a novel set in the D and D universe. I know this has been done a lot for many RPG universes. I don't know how to get permission to write an OFFICIAL D and D novel. Would I have to talk to Wizards or something.

This may seem very silly, but I really want to have a go at it. I love writing and being into D and D, it seems an obvious course of action.

Anyone know anything?

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-07-31, 12:23 AM
I haven't checked in a long while, so I don't know if they still do it, but WotC used to have a sort of open season for writers to send in submissions. Such submissions could be pretty much anything the writers wanted. They asked for the first 30 pages of a novel, and basically promised to read them, but not necessarily to reply. Poke around their website for more info.

Brewdude
2010-07-31, 12:50 AM
The only open submission universe I'm aware of is www.runesofgallidon.com. I'm pretty sure someone's made a d20 conversion of the universe as well. Though not exactly D and D, you can write anything from 1000 words to novellas and novels for it, so long as you agree to their terms and conditions should the IP get used in a money making manner.

snoopy13a
2010-07-31, 09:59 PM
You'd need permission from the copyright holder. The best way to find out is to write Wizards a letter asking about their policy on the manner.

Flickerdart
2010-07-31, 10:01 PM
D&D has a whole bunch of settings - Dark Sun, Eberron, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Planescape...

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-07-31, 10:30 PM
D&D has a whole bunch of settings - Dark Sun, Eberron, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Planescape...

Ooooooh, writing a Planescape novel would be fun...

Sir Yvain
2010-08-01, 01:45 AM
Thanks guys.

I'll try that.

Prodan
2010-08-01, 01:48 AM
Anyone know anything?

The more people you know higher up in the company, the better your chances are of getting anywhere in the business.

Prime32
2010-08-01, 08:08 AM
What exactly did you mean by "the D&D universe"? There's not much of a universe beyond certain iconic creatures (like beholders) - most of the stuff in D&D is just generic fantasy.

Jimorian
2010-08-01, 10:08 AM
These days, you won't get permission unless you're an established professional writer. This applies to any franchise that you'd find books in a store for. Keep an eye out for writing contests, however, because sometimes they'll have something like that that's open to all. Star Trek for example has had their Strange New Worlds contests where the winners were put into an anthology.

But basically, they find writers, usually via contacts with agents.

However, don't let this discourage you. This is exactly how I began my writing journey. I wanted to write a Star Trek novel, found out you already had to be pro, so I decided I'd go ahead and do that first. :smallsmile:

Haven't fully made it, but I have sold an original short story professionally, enough to join Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America as an associate member, and I'm still plugging away on a number of projects (including the poor neglected fantasy novel in my sig).

Viera Champion
2010-08-01, 11:29 AM
I want to write a novel set in the D and D universe. I know this has been done a lot for many RPG universes. I don't know how to get permission to write an OFFICIAL D and D novel. Would I have to talk to Wizards or something.

This may seem very silly, but I really want to have a go at it. I love writing and being into D and D, it seems an obvious course of action.

Anyone know anything?

Writing novels can be fun. I'm on my second attemt at writing one, not to mention I'm in the proccess of right another more personal non-fiction book. And I'm only 13.

This may sound stupid, especially since if your book is rejected, you just did a whole lot of work for nothing. But I'd say, write the book first, find someone to back the book, then bring it to WotC.

PhoeKun
2010-08-01, 11:47 AM
This may sound stupid, especially since if your book is rejected, you just did a whole lot of work for nothing. But I'd say, write the book first, find someone to back the book, then bring it to WotC.

That's not true at all. If you write a novel that gets rejected by the group you submitted it to, you just did a whole lot of work to write a novel. So what if it isn't being published and put on shelves? I understand that Sir Yvain's (and possibly his lion's as well) goal is to have an officially licensed work, but that's an act that's going to take time, and every novel written, rejected or not, moves him one step closer to achieving that goal.

I believe it is true that WotC et al aren't accepting open book submissions these days, but to be perfectly honest there's zero harm in trying, and the act of writing it in the first place is going to teach you a lot about writing a book that is of publication quality. Odds are strong that you'll need a couple of books under your belt before you can step into the magic zone.

So yeah. Go ahead and write it anyway. If it's something you're interested in enough, your dogged efforts will eventually carry the day. :smallsmile:

DSCrankshaw
2010-08-01, 11:56 AM
Haven't fully made it, but I have sold an original short story professionally, enough to join Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America as an associate member, and I'm still plugging away on a number of projects (including the poor neglected fantasy novel in my sig).

Nice. Who'd you sell it to? Where can we find it?

For those who don't know, SFWA only allows you to join if you sell a story to a select group of publications. Selling a qualifying story is a big deal.

Getting back on topic, I'll back up what others have said. To the best of my knowledge, WotC no longer accepts open submissions. But don't let that stop you from writing. If you want to write D&D novels, first learn to write. Sell some short stories. Write a novel even though it won't get anywhere. It takes a lot of practice to become good at writing.

Finally, don't be discouraged. Even good writers start out as terrible, as Brandon Sanderson ably demonstrates in his latest podcast (http://www.writingexcuses.com/2010/07/25/writing-excuses-4-29-line-editing/). (My own trivial comments here (http://www.donaldscrankshaw.com/2010/08/writer-pick-me-up.html).)

snoopy13a
2010-08-01, 12:35 PM
This may sound stupid, especially since if your book is rejected, you just did a whole lot of work for nothing.

Not necessarily. Most people will become better writers as they write more. Thus, a few failed attempts could improve one's skill enough so that a future work gets published.

Granted, getting published is an extreme long shot and even if one gets published, most published works do not sell well. However, there are much worse hobbies out there than writing and it is better to give it a shot and fail than to spend one's life wondering what might have been.

Viera Champion
2010-08-01, 02:19 PM
That's not true at all. If you write a novel that gets rejected by the group you submitted it to, you just did a whole lot of work to write a novel. So what if it isn't being published and put on shelves? I understand that Sir Yvain's (and possibly his lion's as well) goal is to have an officially licensed work, but that's an act that's going to take time, and every novel written, rejected or not, moves him one step closer to achieving that goal.

I believe it is true that WotC et al aren't accepting open book submissions these days, but to be perfectly honest there's zero harm in trying, and the act of writing it in the first place is going to teach you a lot about writing a book that is of publication quality. Odds are strong that you'll need a couple of books under your belt before you can step into the magic zone.

So yeah. Go ahead and write it anyway. If it's something you're interested in enough, your dogged efforts will eventually carry the day. :smallsmile:

Not necessarily. Most people will become better writers as they write more. Thus, a few failed attempts could improve one's skill enough so that a future work gets published.

Granted, getting published is an extreme long shot and even if one gets published, most published works do not sell well. However, there are much worse hobbies out there than writing and it is better to give it a shot and fail than to spend one's life wondering what might have been.

So, in the end you argued unnecessarily because your main point I'd that he should write anyway, and even though our reasons for it are different, that's all he's asking is if he should write it, so where it matters you agreed with me.

Logic!^_^

PhoeKun
2010-08-01, 02:34 PM
So, in the end you argued unnecessarily because your main point I'd that he should write anyway, and even though our reasons for it are different, that's all he's asking is if he should write it, so where it matters you agreed with me.

Logic!^_^

On the contrary, dear friend. It was your contention that he should write his novel despite the possibility that it might not get published and he would have wasted his time. It is my contention that no matter what happens, it would not be a waste of time because it would still be a worthwhile and educational experience.

You might think I'm arguing semantics since the bottom line is that we're both shouting, "go write!" at the top of our respective lungs, but there's a fairly significant difference. You would agree that someone writing a novel should have some love for the work apart from the idea of being published and paid for it, n'est pas? :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2010-08-01, 02:38 PM
I'd like to see some D&D novels set the the new standard 'verse, rather than Greyhawk, Faerun, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, and so on.

The wars between Arkhosia and Bael Turath, the fall of Nerath, maybe even going right back to Tharizdun, the Queen of Chaos, and Asmodeus falling to evil.

Done well, they might help give the setting traction.

Maybe, the OP should practice writing fan-fiction- see what about their writing style gets criticism and what's liked? And hone their writing skills that way?

Viera Champion
2010-08-01, 02:39 PM
On the contrary, dear friend. It was your contention that he should write his novel despite the possibility that it might not get published and he would have wasted his time. It is my contention that no matter what happens, it would not be a waste of time because it would still be a worthwhile and educational experience.

You might think I'm arguing semantics since the bottom line is that we're both shouting, "go write!" at the top of our respective lungs, but there's a fairly significant difference. You would agree that someone writing a novel should have some love for the work apart from the idea of being published and paid for it, n'est pas? :smalltongue:

Why of course. I wouldn't be writing the novels I am now if I didn't want to. What I meant by it, is that he hould write even if afterwards he feels like he wasted his time. Of course, if he feels like he's wasting his time NOW, than he probably is.

Danne
2010-08-02, 10:47 PM
Pardon me for not reading everybody's replies (it's late and I'm exhausted) but your best bet is to find someone who works for the parent company, get to know them (read: let them get to know you), and give them a sample of your work. At least, that's what a writer who works for WotC said when I sat in on a panel at the local con a few years ago. In fact, cons are great places to meet important publishing people in general, either to make connections or just to sit in on a panel, ask questions, and hear what they have to say.

And good luck. :smallsmile: