PDA

View Full Version : Burrow Speed on the cheap

Chrono22
2010-07-31, 01:18 AM
I'm trying to find a way to get an inexpensive form of burrowing. I'm going to be playing a psion 2/swordsage 2, and the 3600 gp limit is... well, limiting.:smallredface:
It doesn't have to be fast (even a speed of 5 ft/round would be acceptable). I'm open to any suggestions you have. It is preferable that my character have the burrow speed, as opposed to a summoned creature or mount.

TroubleBrewing
2010-07-31, 02:47 AM
I'm sure there's something in the MIC to suit your needs. You used the word "cheap", so I assume you mean a magic item of some sort. Otherwise, I'd suggest a variety of races and templates.

JaronK
2010-07-31, 03:19 AM
If you can figure out a way to use an Eternal Wand, Alter Self will do it for you (Earth Mephling).

JaronK

DwarvenExodus
2010-07-31, 03:45 AM
Try to get a magic item of the second level druid\ranger spell, Burrow (SpC).

Moogleking
2010-07-31, 08:38 AM
A shovel :smalltongue:?

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-31, 10:49 AM
Look in Sandstorm and Planar Handbook. I know one of them has such a race.

PH should have two. Earth mephling and some sort of half dwarf half badger thingy.

IdleMuse
2010-07-31, 10:54 AM
A badger Hengeyokai has a 10ft burrow speed in hybrid form, and with the 3.5 update to Oriental Adventures, no level adjustment.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-31, 11:27 AM
Try to get a magic item of the second level druid\ranger spell, Burrow (SpC).

...and a second one of the 1st level druid spell rapid burrowing.

Darrin
2010-07-31, 12:43 PM
I'm trying to find a way to get an inexpensive form of burrowing. I'm going to be playing a psion 2/swordsage 2, and the 3600 gp limit is... well, limiting.:smallredface:
It doesn't have to be fast (even a speed of 5 ft/round would be acceptable). I'm open to any suggestions you have. It is preferable that my character have the burrow speed, as opposed to a summoned creature or mount.

Hmmm... tricky. Phylactery of Change (A&EG p. 135, 11200 GP) offers all-day polymorph, but is definitely out of your price range. So you're probably stuck with some kind of summoning item.

I thought Amber Amulet of Vermin (MIC, 500-1200 GP) might offer some burrowers, but none of the MM vermin can burrow. Aberrant Sphere (MIC, 2800 GP) can get you a carrion crawler, but they don't burrow either. Oddly enough, neither does an earth elemental (Elemental Gem, DMG, 2250 GP). Bag of Tricks (Rust, 3000 GP) has a 30% chance of summoning a wolverine, but I don't think it leaves behind a usable tunnel.

Your best bet is probably a Bead of Beckoning from a Necklace of the Wild Beast (AE&G p. 135, 2000 GP). This is a one-shot item that allows you to cast summon nature's ally IV, which could get you 1d4+1 dire badgers, and those things are some of the best digging machines in the game.

However, the item description appears to suggest this item can only be used by someone who can cast animal friendship, which doesn't exist in 3.5 anymore. This could mean only druids and rangers can use this item... actually, the text is ambiguous. It says the necklace appears as ordinary jewelry until someone who can cast animal friendship puts it on, but then it doesn't specify what happens after that. I assume the wearer is at least informed that the necklace is magical, or if we're using the strand of prayer beads as a guide, then the magical properties and how to activate them. The text doesn't specify if you must be a druid/ranger to use any of the beads. If druid/ranger is required, a UMD check DC 20 should allow you to emulate the necessary class feature. (If you have trouble hitting this DC, buy a potion of guidance of the avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) for 300 GP, +20 competence bonus on a skill check).