PDA

View Full Version : MITD- a piece of the Snarl???

toastywes
2010-07-31, 02:56 AM
Just some wild theory I came up with.

Omergideon
2010-07-31, 03:25 AM
I doubt it. The MiTD haas so far displayed both magical and physical abilities that have never been associated with the snarl and it would be a rather odd thing. Plus Xykon said he recognised the type of creature that MiTD is.

Rad
2010-07-31, 04:45 AM
This is theory really has some merit, but I have to disappoint you by telling that it has already been discussed and abandoned (not by everyone, of course). It is fascinating and fits nicely with the inability of :mitd: to even spot the gates.
The main problem is that the Giant himself wrote in a commentary that :mitd: is not a creature that he made up but someone else's (probably a standard fantasy or D&D creature). The Snarl is the only creature that the giant has made up himself for the story. (other than the winged buffaloes, which are hardly plot-crucial)

Dr.Epic
2010-07-31, 04:53 AM
Just some wild theory I came up with.

Rich said the MitD is not a monster he made up. The Snarl is something Rich created. Sorry to ruin your theory.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-31, 06:27 AM
This is theory really has some merit, but I have to disappoint you by telling that it has already been discussed and abandoned (not by everyone, of course). It is fascinating and fits nicely with the inability of :mitd: to even spot the gates.
The monster could see Dorukan's Gate just fine, once it was pointed out to him. He's just not smart enough to put two and two together and realise that it actually was a gate. The "piece of the Snarl" theory doesn't even make any sense, quite apart from the fact that it contradicts what Rich has said on the matter.

In any case, the MitD discussion thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156178). This theory is possibly the most commonly-suggested idea of all, and is listed in the first post under Section 3b: "Frequently Proposed Discarded Ideas".

Lord Bingo
2010-07-31, 09:12 AM
The monster could see Dorukan's Gate just fine, once it was pointed out to him. He's just not smart enough to put two and two together and realise that it actually was a gate. The "piece of the Snarl" theory doesn't even make any sense, quite apart from the fact that it contradicts what Rich has said on the matter.

I am not sure we should put the MitD's apparent inability to spot the gates down to him not being smart enough. There is plenty of evidence that the MitD is indeed rather clever when he wants to be. We already know he has a knack for recognizing arcane stuff as he identified the ritual that had been troubling Tsukiko with a glance. It might be that the MitD just does not recognize the gates as being gates at all.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-31, 09:30 AM
It might be that the MitD just does not recognize the gates as being gates at all.
I just said he didn't recognise it as a gate. I was arguing against the idea that he can't see the gate at all, which is a surprisingly common misconception.

Bongos
2010-07-31, 11:43 AM
Nah, not a piece of Snarl, more like a pizza pie!

Lord Bingo
2010-07-31, 02:11 PM
I just said he didn't recognise it as a gate. I was arguing against the idea that he can't see the gate at all, which is a surprisingly common misconception.

I understood that you argued against the misconception that the MitD cannot see the gates but you leveraged your argument upon another misconception -that the MitD is too stupid to recognize the gates. It was with that last bit I took issue.

LuPuWei
2010-07-31, 02:12 PM
The Snarl is the only creature that the giant has made up himself for the story. (other than the winged buffaloes, which are hardly plot-crucial)

Didn't winged buffaloes appear in Farside once? Or were those balloon-buffaloes?

Skorj
2010-07-31, 02:18 PM
This is the thread you're looking for. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156178)

Snarl Jr is perhaps the most frequently proposed idea, and it works no better than the other frequent guesses: Tarrasque, Grue, or Snorlax. He's not any of those 4 - really. :smalltongue:

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-31, 04:03 PM
Even if the MiD is an established creature, say a Grue for instance, that doesn't mean that in this setting Grue (Grues?) don't have something to do with the snarl.

Rich might take an established monster and add story-related details as he pleases, without changing the basic details of the monster. He could say, for instance, that the first kobolds were created by Tiamat out of little gingerbread kobolds that she baked to life with her dragon breath, and that as a result, kobolds have a strong aversion to ginger.

They're still kobolds, but he has given them a setting-specific detail. Perhaps the legendary Tarrasque first walked the stick-world that we know after departing its home-world (the world within the snarl) and emerging from a rift. The Tarrasque and its descendants (one-of-a-kind-creature, I know, its just an example) are now unable to perceive the gates due to their snarl-based origins.

I'm just sayin' there's a lot of room for Rich to play in, while still remaining true to his assertion that the MiD is not something that he made up.

LuPuWei
2010-07-31, 04:10 PM
He also said it was possible to guess.

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-31, 10:59 PM
This is the thread you're looking for. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156178)

Sheriff of Moddingham: Yes. Please use existing, active threads when one on the same topic already exists.