PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to play Exalted (second edition)?

Jeivar
2010-07-31, 04:16 AM
I have the core rulebook but it leaves a lot out. What book do I need to get more info on the other types of exalted, the mecha-things and whatnot? Also, having more enemies to choose from wouldn't be half bad.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-31, 04:22 AM
Well, first of all, buy a lot of d10s. A lot. Like, 20 per player.

After that, you need Manuals of Exalted Power to create detailed enemies and PCs other than Solars, or Storyteller's Companion to create good-enough enemies. Rolls of Glorious Divinity are also helpful. Other Books of Sorcery give you more spells, artifacts and hearthstones. Scroll of the Monk gives you more martial arts styles, though they are largely (not by me) considered broken and unbalanced.

Zaakar
2010-07-31, 07:03 AM
In most campaigns you don't meet all potential enemies of Exalted. Apart from the good advice The Rose Dragon offered, I would pick what kind of BBEG the cirkle (party) will be against and buy a book that explains his/her/it's kind further. While I really like the GitP forum, you might also want to take a look here (http://lore5.patternspider.net/), and in the forums you can find from there.

MickJay
2010-07-31, 08:36 AM
Scroll of Heroes has merits and flaws that can help with customizing characters more.

Oadenol's Codex is great if you're looking for more hearthstones and artifacts.

You didn't specify which type of Exalted you're going to be playing, I'm assuming Solars? Generally speaking, the Dragonblooded run everything, since they're by far the most numerous (if relatively low on the power scale of the Exalted), so getting that rulebook might come in handy if you'll be fleshing out the world. Then there are Compasses, describing various areas of the world. Getting the one describing the part of the world where your campaign is going to take place is also a good idea.

Sanguine
2010-07-31, 11:48 AM
Since no-one has said it yet.

The "mecha-things"* can be found in the back of the book: Wonders of the Lost Age. Which is the first Book of Sorcery.**

*Called Warstriders

**Don't let the series name fool you only one of the books actually deals with Sorcery

Jeivar
2010-07-31, 01:02 PM
In most campaigns you don't meet all potential enemies of Exalted. Apart from the good advice The Rose Dragon offered, I would pick what kind of BBEG the cirkle (party) will be against and buy a book that explains his/her/it's kind further.

You didn't specify which type of Exalted you're going to be playing, I'm assuming Solars? Generally speaking, the Dragonblooded run everything, since they're by far the most numerous (if relatively low on the power scale of the Exalted), so getting that rulebook might come in handy if you'll be fleshing out the world.

Well, I was mostly thinking of Terrestrials and maybe some Abyssals thrown in. Does the storyteller's companion have any further info on those two, or will I have to buy the specific books for each in order to flesh them out some? I can't afford to buy a whole lot of books, so I'll just have to buy the one that will help me the most.

And yes, if I get this off the ground the party will consist of Solars.

Well, unless we decide to do things wacky sitcom-style, with one of each type. They would argue with the ornery landlord, struggle with the rent and make periodic attempts to kill each other over the last slice of pizza.:smallsmile:

Reynard
2010-07-31, 01:37 PM
Abyssals are nega-Solars. So for building them, you can just use Solar charms and give them a necrotic fluff twist.

Sanguine
2010-08-02, 09:28 AM
Abyssals are nega-Solars. So for building them, you can just use Solar charms and give them a necrotic fluff twist.

But then she misses out on the cool non-mirror Abyssal Charms and the two Martial Arts Styles. However I agree if you are strapped for cash this is a decent way to go.

Kylarra
2010-08-02, 12:09 PM
Storyteller's companion has a bunch of prebuilt char skeletons with a set of "kits" for lack of a better term, of abilities/charms that you can use to quickbuild npcs. IIRC it has stripped down explanations of charms intended for quickuse that may or may not exactly mirror the official charms, as I believe the companion was released before some of the other manuals, however, unless your group is familiar with the charms of other exalts, it shouldn't be a problem in actual play.

Teln
2010-08-05, 04:02 PM
Scroll of Heroes has merits and flaws that can help with customizing characters more.

And the merits/flaws system is horribly prone to munchkinning (Essence 5 at chargen with points left over, anyone?).

EDIT: Gaaah, sorry for the necro.