PDA

View Full Version : Snufflers, Orkish Trackers

LOTRfan
2010-07-31, 10:29 AM
Another LOTR-based Orc. This is based on the tracker Orc in Return of the King.

Snuffler, 1st Level Warrior
Medium Humanoid (Orc)
Hit Die: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+2 leather armor +1 Dodge), touch 10, flat footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Dagger +1 melee (1d4 damage), or longbow +2 ranged (1d8+1 damage)
Full Attack: Dagger +1 melee (1d4 damage), and longbow +2 ranged (1d8+1 damage)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: ----
Special Qualities: Light Blindness, Scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Survival +4 (+10 when tracking), Listen +2, Spot +2, Craft (Siegecraft) +5
Feats: Track, Dodge
Environment: Mordor
Organization: Solitary, or tracking group (1-2 Snufflers plus 1-5 Warrior Orcs)
Challenge Rating: ˝
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

Light Blindness: Sudden exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds Snufflers for 1 round. In addition, they take a –1 circumstance penalty on attack rolls, saves, and checks when in bright light (as though dazzled). In addition, for every hour left in the sun, a Snuffler must make a fort save (DC 10 + number of hours in sunlight), or suffer 1d6 nonlethal points of damage. This damage does not heal until the Snuffler is in complete darkness, and even then, the damage heals by one point per hour.

Scent (Ex): Snufflers can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. When a creature is detected, the Snuffler does not know its exact location.

Skills: Snufflers get an extra +2 racial bonus to Survival skills when tracking, and gains an additional +4 from the scent quality. Like all Orcs, Snufflers gain a +5 bonus to Craft (Siegecraft).

Feats: Snufflers gain Track as a racial feat.

History
The Snufflers of Middle-Earth were bred by Sauron from the fastest, most perceptive of Orcs. They make perfect trackers, often used to follow fleeing soldiers in the constant battles in Osgiliath and Ithilien. With their overdeveloped sensory organs (and one large nostril), they tend to be highly effective in their tasks. Generally, they are deployed with the stronger common Orcs that eliminate a threat once it has been found. Still, Snufflers are able to skillfully slay inexperienced adventurers, using their enhanced dexterity and knowledge of the surrounding wilderness.

Campaign Notes (War of the Ring)
Almost all of the Orc tribes of Middle-Earth have access to at least one or two Snufflers. If a party of adventurers or heroes ever bite off more than they can chew and flee, it can be guaranteed that a Snuffler and company are not far behind.

Sample Descriptions:
An Orc, slightly smaller then the others, appears ahead, sniffing the ground and growling. It seems to pick up a scent, and convinces his companions to follow.

An Orc with pale red skin and a large nostril appears. He seems to have unnatural talent at noticing his surroundings, as he knows that someone is watching him. He just doesn’t know it’s you.

A black orc stares down at you from atop a hill ten yards away. He starts shouting, “They’re o’er here!”

I wanted to use a system from this forum for the track-by-scent ability. Unfortunately, I don't remember who posted it (only that the thread had to do with Dinosaurs). as soon as I find it, I'll ask permission to post it.

Calmar
2010-07-31, 11:35 AM
Why did you decide to create them as a separate race instead of using classes such as ranger, rogue, scout, or any combination thereof, to create orcish trackers?

All in all I like your orcs, though. :smallsmile:

LOTRfan
2010-07-31, 12:41 PM
Why did you decide to create them as a separate race instead of using classes such as ranger, rogue, scout, or any combination thereof, to create orcish trackers?

All in all I like your orcs, though. :smallsmile:

Well, Tolkien mentions that Sauron bred different types of Orcs for varying purposes thought the LOTR trilogy, and I wanted to have that feel instead of just Orcs trained for different tasks. It really gave the different varieties of Orcs much more meaning. Of course, the Snufflers are going to be rangers more than any other class (if they will even be any other class), but now the difference between different Orcs are much more apparent. For example, a mere Orc Hunter (Ranger 1) is not as threatening as one of the elite Tracker Orcs bred specifically to be optimized as a ranged-weapon wielding rangers.

And thanks for the compliment :smallsmile:

Jjeinn-tae
2010-08-01, 01:05 AM
Wow, you really get these out quickly, how many LoTR things have you "brewed" on here now? Is it more than 3?

For the Snufflers, +4 to survival when tracking actually seems kind of low, you see about that much for things with scent when tracking by scent. With a combination of being bred to track, and having scent as part of that, I'd up it to +6, +4 for the scent ability, and +2 for a natural aptitude.

Then throw one at the players and they'll never shake him, it gives a great sense of "Sauron is after you."

Calmar
2010-08-01, 02:33 AM
Well, Tolkien mentions that Sauron bred different types of Orcs for varying purposes thought the LOTR trilogy, and I wanted to have that feel instead of just Orcs trained for different tasks. It really gave the different varieties of Orcs much more meaning. Of course, the Snufflers are going to be rangers more than any other class (if they will even be any other class), but now the difference between different Orcs are much more apparent. For example, a mere Orc Hunter (Ranger 1) is not as threatening as one of the elite Tracker Orcs bred specifically to be optimized as a ranged-weapon wielding rangers.

You're right, I forgot about that. Well, then it's definitely a cool subgroup of orc.

LOTRfan
2010-08-01, 06:30 AM
Wow, you really get these out quickly, how many LoTR things have you "brewed" on here now? Is it more than 3?

For the Snufflers, +4 to survival when tracking actually seems kind of low, you see about that much for things with scent when tracking by scent. With a combination of being bred to track, and having scent as part of that, I'd up it to +6, +4 for the scent ability, and +2 for a natural aptitude.

Then throw one at the players and they'll never shake him, it gives a great sense of "Sauron is after you."

Yes, currently it is four, and I'm working on two more right now (Black Uruk-hai and Scatha the Long-worm). I'll make your suggested stat changes immediately.