PDA

View Full Version : Dire Tiger Question.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-31, 12:11 PM
It says that its claws deal 2d4 points of damage, and that it has the improved natural attack feat...how did it get that number? Shouldn't it be 1d8?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-31, 12:14 PM
2d4, 1d8, it's not that big of a different. Sure, with 2d4 you'll never get 1, but the odds of rolling 8 are 16 (twice that of 1d8).

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-31, 12:22 PM
2d4, 1d8, it's not that big of a different. Sure, with 2d4 you'll never get 1, but the odds of rolling 8 are 16 (twice that of 1d8).
RIght, just wondering where they got it, or when you take improved natural attack can you choose between the two...RAW or RAI.

tyckspoon
2010-07-31, 12:25 PM
A lot of creatures have seemingly random numbers that you won't get if you actually generate them strictly by the rules. Presumably this was done in the name of 'balance.' I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-31, 12:27 PM
RIght, just wondering where they got it, or when you take improved natural attack can you choose between the two...RAW or RAI.

Sometimes I think the writers/creators just switch the two out. Look at great swords and great axes:

great sword: 2d6 damage; crit 19-20
great axe: 1d12 damage; crit x3

Do I want to use a great sword and know I'll have the chance of rolling two dice to do more damage or a great axe and know the odds of getting a higher number are better? Do I want to crit more often or have the potential of doing more damage when I crit?

Machiavellian
2010-07-31, 12:53 PM
Sometimes I think the writers/creators just switch the two out. Look at great swords and great axes:

great sword: 2d6 damage; crit 19-20
great axe: 1d12 damage; crit x3

Do I want to use a great sword and know I'll have the chance of rolling two dice to do more damage or a great axe and know the odds of getting a higher number are better? Do I want to crit more often or have the potential of doing more damage when I crit?

I think that this was done simply due to Accuracy (something that most people don't think of)

Yes, axes do more damage, but its a brutish way of fighting, whereas swords tend to be more accurate. Granted: both are large, cumbersome weapons, but the Greataxe is more so. If you want to just swing and pray, then Greataxe is your friend (like me ;P), but if you want to be more likely to hit vitals, the Greatsword is more your choice.