PDA

View Full Version : Yes we have an IRC channel. And yes, we've been waiting for you

Starsinger
2010-07-31, 01:50 PM
In continuation of NEO|Phyte's IRC threads such as this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115696), I'd like to take the time to remind people that, yes, we do indeed have an IRC channel! In order to alleviate concerns about the complexity of setting up an IRC client, we've simply set up a widget that allows you to connect to the channel in two clicks, so that forum-goers who haven't even heard of IRC can join in.

1. Go to the widget page here (http://gitp.afsmg.co.uk/).
2. Pick a nickname, preferably similar to the one you use here for easy recognizability.
3. Hit Connect. Let the widget warm up, and you're in!

It's a great community, with recognizable members such Fax Celestis, Gralamin, AstralFire, NEO|Phyte and SweetRein, as well as many other frequent visitors to the forum. Ongoing games are semi-frequent if that's your thing, and we've got an in-channel dicebot to help with such things.

Probably best of all, you get to interact with other GITP forum-goers, even if the boards are down, without having to worry about furious debate over the monk's merits, and with more freedom to work with - less moderation, no scrubbed posts, and no locked threads!

If you have a traditional IRC client, you can reach us at the server irc.gamesurge.net, channel #giantitp.

With that, join us here at the IRC chat, and have fun!
~~~~~~~~~
This message brought to you by the unofficial Giant In the Playground IRC channel. Offer void where prohibited.

Mr. Mud
2010-07-31, 02:33 PM
I'd like to motion for a sticky. As I always try and find this thread, 'cause I never remember how to get on, but I can never find it.

Flickerdart
2010-07-31, 02:38 PM
We also organize and run many games, D&D or otherwise. Real-time is so much better than PbP. Better enough that you should drop by.

Mr. Mud
2010-07-31, 02:42 PM
We also organize and run many games, D&D or otherwise. Real-time is so much better than PbP. Better enough that you should drop by.

How often are these run? And is it the entire IRC, or only a select few?

Flickerdart
2010-07-31, 02:47 PM
How often are these run? And is it the entire IRC, or only a select few?
Games usually run weekly, almost every day of the week in fact. The games themselves don't happen in the channel itself (usually on another channel or MapTool) but they're organized through the main channel.

Mr. Mud
2010-07-31, 02:53 PM
Games usually run weekly, almost every day of the week in fact. The games themselves don't happen in the channel itself (usually on another channel or MapTool) but they're organized through the main channel.

I see. I'll have to look into these :smallbiggrin:.

Vortling
2010-07-31, 06:11 PM
Come join us. We have cookies and regular games! I would also like to motion for a sticky. Please

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-31, 07:14 PM
/me steals cookies and hides at msn.

Maybe, maybe I'l fire up MIRC again, but last time I checked this, it was pretty dead. Then again, that was uhhh, already a couple of years ago? o.0
Time goes fast.

Break
2010-07-31, 07:22 PM
Maybe, maybe I'l fire up MIRC again, but last time I checked this, it was pretty dead. Then again, that was uhhh, already a couple of years ago? o.0
Time goes fast.

41 users in the channel, at the time I make this post. It's pretty lively.

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-31, 07:56 PM
As the owner of the channel, I suppose I'd better post here too. Not sure the exact date I registered the channel, but it's certainly over four years since my first IRC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12321). Maybe we'll come up with something fancy for the 5 year anniversary. Assuming we don't forget by the time it gets here.

Anuan
2010-08-01, 01:53 AM
31 people.
All idle.

SO RONERY.

Break
2010-08-01, 05:08 AM
31 people.
All idle.

SO RONERY.

Noooot for long.

It -is- pretty late for most of the users in chat now, though.

lesser_minion
2010-08-01, 06:29 AM
The channel becomes most active between from about 1700 to 0200 (GMT), since a lot of people there are American or Canadian.

There are usually a couple of people with their eyes on the channel no matter what the time is, however.

Castaras
2010-08-01, 06:54 AM
I've been waiting for you... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFbx5U0qRc)

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-01, 08:41 AM
AIM chat's where it's at.

YPU
2010-08-01, 02:46 PM

It is? Gods this forum is fragmented.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-01, 03:15 PM
No man, MSN is the place to hang out.

I currently have around 120 playgrounders on msn, 30 of which are online at the moment.

Dvil
2010-08-01, 03:18 PM
I dunno, the IRC's not bad. Just if it gets crowded you can get lost in the group.

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-01, 03:36 PM

I currently have around 120 playgrounders on msn, 30 of which are online at the moment.

MSN has sooooo many people in the chat and like 50 conversations going on at once it is so confusing. And no one noticed me when I went in there.
AIM's got at most 10 people in the chat, usually more like 5 or 6, it's very cozy and personal.

Gralamin
2010-08-01, 03:41 PM
I'd like to motion for a sticky. As I always try and find this thread, 'cause I never remember how to get on, but I can never find it.

When in doubt, you could find a few of our signatures - we leave links in there.

As for games: Generally we end up with around 7 people in a game. Some DMs might allow more or less. But we always need more DMs.

Calamity
2010-08-01, 03:45 PM
MSN has sooooo many people in the chat and like 50 conversations going on at once it is so confusing. And no one noticed me when I went in there.
AIM's got at most 10 people in the chat, usually more like 5 or 6, it's very cozy and personal.

And Mauve is usually the only person around when I log in. If I'm lucky. It's usually dead when I'm on it (which is rare, I'll admit) :smallfrown:

MSN chats are confusing though. And usually end up in discussions about FFRP, leaving me completely lost. Pros and cons of both!

Anyway, I'm glad you posted this thread, Starsinger, because the last time one of these threads was around I didn't have IRC. So by the time I got one I'd completely forgotten about this.

YPU
2010-08-04, 04:30 AM
The chat is remarkably alive at any time of the day, as far as I know for the past few days. This is impressive.

Dispozition
2010-08-04, 05:12 AM
Man, I may as well get active on this...Expect to see me in there as often as I can be (:

drakir_nosslin
2010-08-04, 05:35 AM
Well, looks like I've found something to do my last weeks at work. Awesome!

Arang
2010-08-05, 04:00 PM
If you want to check this out but are worried about there not being anybody on, a good time would be now. As we speak!

Andraste
2010-09-26, 12:40 PM
I downloaded the client that was in the old thread, joined, said "hi", then accidentally closed it, and now it won't let me connect because it says that my name is already in use.

Flickerdart
2010-09-26, 01:20 PM
I downloaded the client that was in the old thread, joined, said "hi", then accidentally closed it, and now it won't let me connect because it says that my name is already in use.
GameSurge is a big network - there might be another Balford somewhere. Alternately, it may not have disconnected properly, which means that you just have to wait a bit until your ghost pings out (a few minutes at the most).

Octopus Jack
2010-09-26, 01:56 PM
Ok I went on with it just before a big warforged-alter self debate, msn seems more fun but more confusing than this. Despite the fact I only have 20friends on msn and only 1 is on Giantitp :smallfrown:

Haruki-kun
2010-09-26, 01:58 PM
MSN chats are confusing though. And usually end up in discussions about FFRP, leaving me completely lost. Pros and cons of both!

I agree with this. However, MSN chats are easy to derail. :smalltongue:

HEY CHAT! Look! I got cookies!

Flickerdart
2010-09-26, 02:33 PM
Ok I went on with it just before a big warforged-alter self debate, msn seems more fun but more confusing than this. Despite the fact I only have 20friends on msn and only 1 is on Giantitp :smallfrown:
We don't always talk about D&D, but when we do, we talk about 3.5.

#giantitp, the most interesting IRC channel in the world.

Octopus Jack
2010-09-26, 03:33 PM
I got that it was 3.5 it's just how fast the topic changes which is confusing.

Eon
2010-09-26, 04:34 PM
just snuck in :smallcool:

Eldan
2010-09-27, 07:17 AM
So, when are people actually online? Whenever I was on, no one else was.

Flickerdart
2010-09-27, 08:41 AM
So, when are people actually online? Whenever I was on, no one else was.
Constantly. There's consistently at least 30 people whenever there's not a netsplit.

Or do you mean, not idling? The chat slows down sometimes but people are talking more or less 24/7.

ghost_warlock
2010-09-27, 10:49 AM

Meh. I'm on Yahoo. BUT only on Friday and Saturday nights. AND not this next Friday/Saturday because I'll be at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival.

So there.

Eldan
2010-09-27, 12:07 PM
Constantly. There's consistently at least 30 people whenever there's not a netsplit.

Or do you mean, not idling? The chat slows down sometimes but people are talking more or less 24/7.

I was on a few hours this week, but except today, everyone was idling, and no one replying. Might try again later.