PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Shield Fighter and Dagger Thrower Builds

Dralnu
2010-07-31, 02:15 PM
I'm joining a new campaign soon. Level 1, core + complete and I'll ask if ToB is okay. No flaws or cheese.

I had two ideas for characters. First, a dagger thrower. I've never seen it happen in my groups and thought it would be cool to make one.

I'm thinking something like this:
Halfling
1-3: Halfling Rogue (RoW), Weapon Focus (Dagger), Point Blank Shot
4-?: Something
Then into Master Thrower or Invisible Blade if the campaign goes on long enough

I also think it would be cool to play a Captain America type of guy. Someone who uses his shield as his primary weapon. Dunno how to make that though. Any ideas?

Prodan
2010-07-31, 02:19 PM
There's in fact a Captain America build somewhere. I'm sure it will be linked to shortly.

Dagger thrower can be done with Bloodstorm Blade.

jguy
2010-07-31, 02:35 PM
I know of a good shield build that caps at level 6. Its based around shield bashing and shield charging. On hits you can daze someone. Pretty good low level control and with a Shield of Bashing and a spiked shield, you do 2d6 damage on a bash

Dralnu
2010-07-31, 02:49 PM
Capping at 6 is good with me. I want the character to be good from level 1 and up. No idea when the campaign will end but I doubt we'll go over level 10.

Machiavellian
2010-07-31, 02:55 PM
If you want to hurt people, I also suggest a Captian America build (since a Thrown Shield deals seriously crazy damage for a weapon)

Dralnu
2010-07-31, 03:05 PM
I would LOVE to throw shields at people. Teach me the ways!

JaronK
2010-07-31, 03:07 PM
This might be relevant to your interests: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1532.0;wap2

JaronK

Machiavellian
2010-07-31, 03:12 PM
I would LOVE to throw shields at people. Teach me the ways!

in essence, it requires a ToB class with Ironheart Discipline (Crusader or Warblade), Master Thrower, Bloodstorm Blade, Throw Anything Feat, and a magic shield. To stick with the Captain America theme, Valorous and Collision are your primary, though Sundering could help. And be sure its a Heavy Spiked Shield.

balistafreak
2010-07-31, 08:24 PM
in essence, it requires a ToB class with Ironheart Discipline (Crusader or Warblade)

Nitpick: Iron Heart is a Warblade-only school. :smallbiggrin:

gorfnab
2010-08-01, 02:57 AM
With the books you have available (I'm assuming you have access to Races of the Wild since you mentioned it in your OP)

Halfling
1. Halfling Rogue - Point Blank Shot
2. Swashbuckler - B: Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Precise Shot
4. Rogue
5. Swashbuckler
6. Swashbuckler - Weapon Focus Dagger
7. Fighter - Two Weapon Fighting
8. Master Thrower - B: Quick Draw
9. Master Thrower - Far Shot
10. Whisper Knife - B: Rapid Shot
11. Whisper Knife
12. Whisper Knife - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
13. Master Thrower
14. Master Thrower - B: Snatch Arrows
15. Master Thrower - B: Improved Critical, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
16. Invisible Blade
17. Invisible Blade
18. Invisible Blade - Improved Precise Shot or Combat Reflexes
19. Invisible Blade
20. Invisible Blade

IF you can get other resources approved

Strongheart Halfling
1. Rogue - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
2. Swashbuckler
3. Rogue - Craven
4. Rogue - Penetrating Strike (DS)
5. Swashbuckler
6. Swashbuckler - Two Weapon Fighting
7. Fighter - Targeteer (DragMag 310) - Vital Aim
8. Fighter - Targeteer (DragMag 310) - Far Shot
9. Swordsage - Shadow Blade
10. Swordsage
11. Master Thrower
12. Master Thrower - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
13. Master Thrower
14. Master Thrower
15. Master Thrower - Greater Two Weapon Fighting
16. Invisible Blade
17. Invisible Blade
18. Invisible Blade - Rapid Shot
19. Invisible Blade
20. Invisible Blade

Demons_eye
2010-08-01, 04:04 AM
Person mans guide to Shields (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630)

Shneekey's Cap build

Build Concept:

Captain America

Warblade14/Bloodclaw Master 2/Bloodstorm Blade 4

The Tactic: Use your Shield as a viable weapon in melee and at range.

Bloodclaw Master allows your off-hand weapon (that is to say, your shield) to deal full Str damage (rather than 1/2) and negates the -2 penalty for TWFing. Of course, it only applies to Tiger Claw weapons, but there are ways around that little restriction

Bloodstorm Blade 4 allows you to throw your shield at anyone and have it return instantly. You can also treat a thrown weapon as a melee weapon, which means you can Power Attack with them while throwing them, if you like.

Also, I'm surprised you haven't made a bigger mention of Dungeoncrasher, which can do some pretty awesomely synergistic things with bull rushing with a shield.

Also, another cheezy tactic:

Heavy Shield +1 with Shield Spikes +1 Defending

Shield Spikes are considered weapons which may be separately enchanted. So you enchant them with Defending, to get even MORE AC out of your shield. With a Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestments, your shield can be pimping out with +7 Shield AC and another +5 UNNAMED bonus to AC from Defending for a total of +12. Not too shabby.