PDA

View Full Version : Recettear: Who Wants to Run an Item Shop?

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-31, 02:27 PM
http://www.carpefulgur.com/recettear/

I've stumbled across this thanks to a blog post...it's one of the most unique things I've seen. It's a JRPG (Japanese RPG) that's being ported over into English. What makes it unique is that it gives us another side of the "item shop" that shows up in so many of these games.

Recette is a little girl tasked with running an item shop out of her home, in order to pay the enormous debt her father has left her with, after he went off into an adventuring career. So, the fairy tasked with collecting the loan (yes, there is a fairy who works for the loan company) has shown up to help her start up a shop that sells items to adventurers.

There's a demo on the website that lets you play the first in-game week for free. (You can start as many games as you want, they just never go beyond Day 8, when your first payment on the loan is due) What I've seen has been enormously fun, although most of the funny dialogue is in the beginning of the game, and a bit more sparse throughout. It's mainly text dialogue, with a few voice clips in Japanese, which I find to be nice punctuations.

The writing is great, in my opinion, and the gameplay is a novel concept. (The item-selling can be complemented with a hack-and-slash dungeon crawl, where you hire an adventurer to go in and fight monsters and collect loot for you to sell) Personally, I can't wait for them to finish translation.

Domochevsky
2010-07-31, 05:44 PM
Played through the demo... quite cute. :smallsmile:
(Got my ass kicked in the dungeon once and became homeless on day 8 once... good thing i had so many items to just barely make it the second time around. >_> )

That being said... those damn children! Can't pay for crap! *shakes fist* :smallannoyed:

Irbis
2010-09-06, 03:14 PM
Yes, damn these kids. Really, they're there only to serve as sale breakers :smallannoyed:

I can endorse the game, too, I liked it very much. I hope to get full version as soon as it appears :smallsmile:

I only wonder why people sell me stuff then buy it from me at twice the price.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-06, 03:26 PM
On one hand, this game is pretty amazing.

On the other hand, I think I'd have to kill myself if anyone I knew caught me playing it.

I'm kinda torn here.

Kiren
2010-09-06, 03:34 PM

On the other hand, I think I'd have to kill myself if anyone I knew caught me playing it.

I'm kinda torn here.

Risk playing it then, dispose of everyone that catches you.

Blayze
2010-09-07, 06:58 AM
If RPGs have taught me anything, it's that item shops buy everything, presumably up to and including corpses. You can easily get rid of the evidence via completely legal methods while the authorities are busy checking riverbeds for concrete shoes.

Ranielle
2010-09-08, 06:43 AM
This is awesome.

Drascin
2010-09-08, 07:30 AM

I'm kinda torn here.

Dude, you play Touhou :smalltongue:.

As for me, I already have the game preordered, and if you hadn't started a thread, I probably would have done so myself. After trying the demo, I couldn't not do so! The dialogue is really funny (Capitalism, ho!), and the gameplay gets really fun. I ended my demo by paying the debt with a comfortable 20000 pix to spare - abusing the dungeons makes for crazy profit :smallamused:.

Knaight
2010-09-08, 08:02 AM

I'm kinda torn here.

My solution was to get a copy of the demo to the people most likely to make fun of me for it. Now they are horrible hypocrites if they do, as they got addicted. :smallbiggrin:

MoelVermillion
2010-09-08, 08:30 AM
This game sounds cool, I've just downloaded the demo and am giving it a try now.

EDIT: Just finished playing through the demo, I am in love with this game, it has been pre-ordered.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-08, 10:05 AM
Dude, you play Touhou :smalltongue:.

Touhous aren't embarrassing, they're just subpar shooters. This game is anime girls being silly at each other aaaaaaall the time. Someone's gonna walk in and they'll find my character talking with a fairy about how cute she is or something and it'll just be ohhhhhhhh.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-09-08, 10:57 AM
Yeah, ever since I saw it up on Spirits of Eden, I knew it was gold. Well, after I tried the demo. Lol. I was very excited not only to see that it was up on Steam, but also that it had captured top billing on those rotating ads on the Steam main page.

Capitalism, ho!

Malek
2010-09-08, 04:47 PM
Touhous aren't embarrassing, they're just subpar shooters. This game is anime girls being silly at each other aaaaaaall the time. Someone's gonna walk in and they'll find my character talking with a fairy about how cute she is or something and it'll just be ohhhhhhhh.
Judging by various forums, myself and two people I exposed to the game, this situation would end up with more Recettear converts :smallbiggrin:

Join us... you know you want to :smallamused:

Knaight
2010-09-08, 07:04 PM
Judging by various forums, myself and two people I exposed to the game, this situation would end up with more Recettear converts :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, that's people walking in when the game is at its most awesome. Other than the Organ line.

Mewtarthio
2010-09-08, 10:25 PM
Preordered!

So, er, any pointers on the Jade Level 15 boss? I can damage her fairly consistently, it's just that she damages me more. Do I just need to bring more food to the fight, or is there a trick to her?

Domochevsky
2010-09-08, 10:41 PM
...Jade who? In the demo? >_>

Mewtarthio
2010-09-08, 10:52 PM
...Jade who? In the demo? >_>

Jade Way, the second dungeon. You unlock it by clearing all four levels in the Hall of Trials.

Domochevsky
2010-09-08, 11:04 PM
Oh. I just beat the stuff for your first Merc (whatever his name was... the poor guy. >_> ) and then killed some things on the paths of grass after that. I didn't encounter the second boss. (Was more preoccupied with getting rid of the crap i already had instead of accumulating more.)

Malek
2010-09-09, 08:11 AM
Preordered!

So, er, any pointers on the Jade Level 15 boss? I can damage her fairly consistently, it's just that she damages me more. Do I just need to bring more food to the fight, or is there a trick to her?
You'll need to dodge her attacks or conter her before she attacks as much as possible. Other than that getting as much food as possible is indeed recommended (I'd also advise going shortest route so to minimize chances of HP hit). I've also found that vacuum blade (Louie's 10th level special) can be a bit useful here - it doesn't do much damage, but you can spam it a few times when she's far away for some safe damage on her.

catchthesun
2010-09-10, 04:01 AM
Add one more to the pre-order crowd!

Also, quick question, everyone. How do you retreat from dungeons again? Or can you? I'm getting kinda sick of getting bashed up and ending up taking only one item away.

Malek
2010-09-10, 04:41 AM
You get an exit door every 5 levels (with last level being boss level, with exception of Hall of Trials)

Zabel_Zarock
2010-09-10, 05:00 AM

I'm kinda torn here.
Why do you care, if people judge you over a game.

Trixie
2010-09-10, 06:58 AM

Because most uneducated people who see screens from Recettear are going to think it might be something for pedophiles? :smallconfused:

Not everyone knows what 'moe' is, or how 'little girls doing stuff' in Japanese productions are normal.

Dragonus45
2010-09-10, 07:02 AM
I am in love with this game, its really the most fun you can have with capitalism. But yea grinding up the dungeons makes for insane and illogical profit. I can only assume that later payment are enough to bankrupt small countries.

Tono
2010-09-10, 08:03 AM
So yesterday i finished up the demo, with 3k pix overboard and 11k worth of stuff in my shop nobody bought. (Two soups that sell for about 4.8 base and the 1k amulet) Apparently during the first week no one has 5k to spend on soup. :( I do like how Louie(So I am assuming other adventurers too) will come into your shop and buy stuff to equip themselves better. It just feels like the game is paying me to use better equipment. I like that. I like it allot.

Although I do have a feeling that with this game, unless I find some godly item, i will be resetting when ever I die. The amount of stuff you loose is just too enormous.

Ranielle
2010-09-10, 08:04 AM
Capitalism, Ho!

<3 loving it

Esser-Z
2010-09-10, 08:10 AM
I need to get this game. It seems utterly amazing.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-10, 08:56 AM

Because they might go on internet forums and try to make me question the way I act.

wait noooooooooooo

Jahkaivah
2010-09-10, 09:28 AM
Because they might go on internet forums and try to make me question the way I act.

wait noooooooooooo

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/saxcsa/EYES.gif

I'm judging you so very hard right now.

Fluff & Napalm
2010-09-10, 12:19 PM
This game is so good, and so addicting.

NeonBlack
2010-09-10, 01:16 PM
Just started playing this. I think "Yayifications!" is my new favourite (non-) word :smallbiggrin:.

Drascin
2010-09-10, 02:08 PM
Continued from where I left off in the demo, decided to go into the third segment of Jade way.

Well, that boss was a pretty big surprise, after all the previous pushovers. Had to spend all three pieces of food I'd found during the run.

MoelVermillion
2010-09-10, 02:29 PM
My over equipped Louie rolled through that boss with no difficulty it made me feel better about spending all my surplass money on equipment. Since this game came out I have been playing it, it is now 3:30 AM and I don't know when it got so late :smalleek:, damn addicting game...

Drascin
2010-09-10, 02:37 PM
My over equipped Louie rolled through that boss with no difficulty it made me feel better about spending all my surplass money on equipment. Since this game came out I have been playing it, it is now 3:30 AM and I don't know when it got so late :smalleek:, damn addicting game...

Well, the fact that I was still rolling Louie's absolutely basic equipment probably did help the difficulty a bit, yeah. I mean, I was hitting her for only 8 per hit, in a boss with 420 HP... that's a lot of hits for something that you can't really get more than one hit in each time :smalltongue:.

Zabel_Zarock
2010-09-10, 05:29 PM
Because most uneducated people who see screens from Recettear are going to think it might be something for pedophiles? :smallconfused:

Not everyone knows what 'moe' is, or how 'little girls doing stuff' in Japanese productions are normal.
Because once again who gives a flying ****. Anyone who jumps to that conclusions is most likely a person most people would rather not associate with.

MoelVermillion
2010-09-11, 01:50 AM
Well, the fact that I was still rolling Louie's absolutely basic equipment probably did help the difficulty a bit, yeah. I mean, I was hitting her for only 8 per hit, in a boss with 420 HP... that's a lot of hits for something that you can't really get more than one hit in each time :smalltongue:.

Yeah Steel Sword, Parade Armour and Helm, Big shield. Louie will hit her for 20 - 25 she will hit Louie for 1 - 3 on regular attacks and about 5 on that flame skill she has.

Man I love the fluctuating market, when sweets went down in price I bought every fruit in the market I could, suddenly sweets normalized and food itself went up... those watermelons I paid nothing for? I'm selling them at 260%! Only problem I had was this huge period where weapons were worth a pittance and half my stock was weaponry :smallfrown:.

Celesyne
2010-09-11, 03:26 AM
Wow.. this can kinda be hard. How do you use food items when your in a dungeon? I'd be in better shape if I could keep Louie alive, but I always seem to die and can only walk away with 1 item. made the first payment easy, and its looking like I'm going to fail the 2nd one spectacularly.

oh, and I hate you guys.... just what I needed another addicting little game :smalltongue:

MoelVermillion
2010-09-11, 03:51 AM
W by default and I think also Esc brings up the menu, from there you can go "item" select your food and use it.

Talkkno
2010-09-11, 04:23 AM
How do you get out a dungeon?

Drascin
2010-09-11, 04:38 AM
Beat five floors of it, you'll get a chance to get out.

Also, godfreakingdamnit, people seem to have misplaced their wallets in the second week. Nobody buys anything over 115% except the friendly Guildmaster. I'd actually started the week with almost enough money to make the 30000 payment comfortably, so I restocked, hoping to sell stuff and get more money.

Ha ha ha. Silly me. Now it looks like I might actually fail. Grumble.

MoelVermillion
2010-09-11, 05:17 AM
So I already past story mode :smalleek:, I've gotta stop playing games so fast. Luckily there seems to be quite a lot of post game content so I've still got a fair amount of stuff to do.

Vauron
2010-09-11, 07:53 AM
Beat five floors of it, you'll get a chance to get out.

Also, godfreakingdamnit, people seem to have misplaced their wallets in the second week. Nobody buys anything over 115% except the friendly Guildmaster. I'd actually started the week with almost enough money to make the 30000 payment comfortably, so I restocked, hoping to sell stuff and get more money.

Ha ha ha. Silly me. Now it looks like I might actually fail. Grumble.

I suggest you don't put your prices so high. 104% is almost always a Near Pin, regardless of who is buying, and getting as high a merchant level as possible is more important in the long run.

Also, if you have not yet started to redecorate the shop, and you are trying to sell items that cost several thousand pix, than they simply might not be bringing enough money to your shop. Try redecorating to make the place a little more gaudy if that is the case.

Sleverin
2010-09-11, 10:03 AM
Didn't notice this thread until now. I pre ordered the game since it was slightly cheaper and it had a cute gimmick of "run an item shop while kicking ass!" This game is almost sickeningly cute, but I wouldn't really expect much else from the screenshots I saw. As a player of JRPGs I must say, I am thoroughly impressed with the translation of the game. Most big budget games that are translated (at least when I was a kid) were horribly done, with the jokes being near unintelligible, plot points being wtf, and the jokes sounding so terrible you wonder how they pay "experts" to do a job like that.

I definitely like the difference between Recette and Tear. Even though Tear cares about appearance she seems to have the opinion of "THESE PEOPLE ARE WALKING CONSUMING MOUTHS WITH CASH COMING OUT THEIR ASS ABUSE THEM FOR MONEYZ." While Recette retains some sort of cute innocence about the whole thing. Also did anyone else get the WoW joke about the green item? I liked it :P Oh, that and the phat lewt joke, man these designers are some nerds.

Tono
2010-09-11, 10:05 AM
Didn't notice this thread until now. I pre ordered the game since it was slightly cheaper and it had a cute gimmick of "run an item shop while kicking ass!" This game is almost sickeningly cute, but I wouldn't really expect much else from the screenshots I saw. As a player of JRPGs I must say, I am thoroughly impressed with the translation of the game. Most big budget games that are translated (at least when I was a kid) were horribly done, with the jokes being near unintelligible, plot points being wtf, and the jokes sounding so terrible you wonder how they pay "experts" to do a job like that.

I definitely like the difference between Recette and Tear. Even though Tear cares about appearance she seems to have the opinion of "THESE PEOPLE ARE WALKING CONSUMING MOUTHS WITH CASH COMING OUT THEIR ASS ABUSE THEM FOR MONEYZ." While Recette retains some sort of cute innocence about the whole thing. Also did anyone else get the WoW joke about the green item? I liked it :P Oh, that and the phat lewt joke, man these designers are some nerds.

My favorite joke so far has been the Go-hom Persona joke. I don't know why, but that one pretty much made my day.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-11, 10:26 AM
I love it: it combines RPG + shopping.
Still only have demo: best week yet made 12.7K, granted you lose 10K from debt.
Louie has +2 worn sword, common shield, and some hat over normal stuff.

Tengu_temp
2010-09-11, 06:10 PM
Okay, made the cash for the second week 3 days before the deadline. I think I'm good at this.

This game is very fun (and diabetes-inducingly cute, but that's besides the point). But you know what isn't fun? This computer. It loves to crash during the dungeon segments, especially when I get a lot of loot. I thought I managed to fix it, but no, it crashed right before the boss at level 10. I feel like Deceased Crab in the Hell Temple.

Cubey
2010-09-11, 06:29 PM
Okay, although my first impression when I heard about Recettear was "Spice and Wolf the video game!", it's actually not that similar. Which doesn't mean it's bad, oh no. I am enjoying myself a lot right now.

Only problem I had was this huge period where weapons were worth a pittance and half my stock was weaponry :smallfrown:.
I take that back.
Spice and Wolf! Spice and Wolf! Spice and Wolf!

Eliirae
2010-09-11, 07:20 PM
Okay, made the cash for the second week 3 days before the deadline. I think I'm good at this.

The first two payments are very very easy, actually. The third is alright if you know what you're doing, but the 4th and 5th are brutal unless you know exactly what to buy, when to buy it, who to sell it to, and how much to sell it for.

Sleverin
2010-09-11, 08:31 PM
Heh, I totally failed the first week payment my first time. I almost made my second week payment, but my adventurer got knocked out near the due date and it botched my pix amount and I lost some nice loot. Speaking of phat lewt, where can I find a slime liver? I got a bat wing and a charred lizard....

Trixie
2010-09-11, 09:08 PM
Liver is only found on the boss, afaik.

So, what do you guys think: Tear: poor, misunderstood fairy, who tried to help Recette all she was able to, or ruthless, lying debt executor? :smallamused:

Before anyone protests, not mentioning how big exactly the debt is, and its size, weight a bit against her. Just what exactly Recette's dad bough for that? An army?

There's also Griff's big speech 'all fairies are lying, backstabbing monsters hiding from genocide' coupled with explanation why he thinks so, and since he knows fairies much better than Recette, well...

Though, I have only managed to trigger one speech, maybe he later explains that better.

As for why would loan collector help Recette... Maybe she, being fairy, has no chance of using physical force, thus reasoned pushing her into obligation would work better, and figured the citizens of the city would help Recette by letting her sell them stuff she just bought from them for much more?

Plus: I have no idea how anyone can finish the game with one playthrough. I managed to barely pass the half million requirement by 2.000 pix, and I have spend very little time recruiting other companions, unlocking scenes and playing in dungeons. I was too busy for them. Only later, using well functioning shop, I invested heavily in Charme (level 30, 290 HP from bottles, 2x ring of healing) and begun beating the dungeons.

Frankly, I have no idea how people can claim the dugeon brings any profits at all (6 hours, and I only found one item worth more than 1.500) compared to shop. The amount of money the adventurer devours until he is ready to play is absolutely appaling, at least for me. Before that, dungeons are a chore.

I still have no idea how to fully unlock the Robot Girl, Demon, or Elf, despite getting their scenes; I have only unlocked Rogue and Mage so far. In fact, Louie hates (? :smallconfused: ) that I go only with Charme in my game, as he strangely ceased coming to the shop and is no longer free in the picking screen. There was never scene saying so, though.

By the way, game never crashed for me, but it displays strange errors from time to time (then works fine after 3 second freeze).

Hawriel
2010-09-11, 09:50 PM
HAH! Steven Sigal. badass and corny. :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2010-09-11, 10:24 PM
In fact, Louie hates (? :smallconfused: ) that I go only with Charme in my game, as he strangely ceased coming to the shop and is no longer free in the picking screen. There was never scene saying so, though.

Louie stops being free as soon as he's a full-fledged member of the Guild (ie after you clear the Hall of Trials). His decreased visits to the shop might be because you're stocking more expensive wares, which he can't afford.

Cubey
2010-09-11, 10:44 PM
Ah, Louie. Will you ever stop living in poverty? Even little girls can afford better items than you can.

Joro
2010-09-11, 11:09 PM
I think Elan is pretty much my favorite adventurer: more able to take a beating than Charme, faster than Louie, and it's very satisfying to run around punching everything to death. Shame the skill that isn't the burning kick takes so much SP, it's pretty darn sweet.

Caillou is fun, but I either need to give him all my HP meds or learn to actually play cautiously. My excessive grinding and having to start over from week 3 meant Louie was an unstoppable juggernaut and able to simply tank through anything and everything; going back to <30 hp was something I failed to adjust to with sufficient speed.

I hope Arma is unlocked the normal way of "you deal with her a bunch -> she gives you her card," because I can't wait to see how she plays in the dungeons. I'm a huge sucker for robots. I had met with Nagi 3 times before I had to go back to day 2, now I've only seen her once. Need to do longer stretches of dungeon, I guess.

Drascin
2010-09-12, 02:15 AM
Frankly, I have no idea how people can claim the dugeon brings any profits at all (6 hours, and I only found one item worth more than 1.500) compared to shop. The amount of money the adventurer devours until he is ready to play is absolutely appaling, at least for me. Before that, dungeons are a chore.

Um, what? Adventurer eats money? Being mildly decent with Louie, you don't actually even need to equip him - just beat Amber Way 15-20 with my trusty initial Worn Sword. And you can get very good profit from dungeoneering - both because you find good stuff, and, much more importantly, because using Fusion with the ingredients you find there is mad profit. I just sold a pendant that cost me 1080 to do (had to buy a necklace to fuse) for well over 25000 pix to Alouette. I'm in the middle of Week three, four days to the 80000 pix payment, and I'm rolling around with 170000+ :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2010-09-12, 02:20 AM
Seriously, guys, I just want Louie to buy something he can use!
The dude buy spears from me. Spears! He can't use spears!

MoelVermillion
2010-09-12, 02:25 AM
I kept putting out all these great knives for Charme and Louie would buy Every. Single. One of them. He also had a hat fetish, every time I got new hats in Louie would buy one, no swords though, definitely no swords :smallsigh:.

Eliirae
2010-09-12, 02:31 AM
So I failed horribly the first time around on the final payment. When I went through the game again, however, I ended up with 700k to spare after the 500k payment. Even bought a few ridiculously overpriced items (500% sale value much?) from some crazy person for the lols.

Failing near the end and starting all over from Day 2 is pretty cheap, I must say.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-09-12, 02:31 AM
Hey, Louie! Hi, you're in my store again! This is great! Remember that Longsword +3 and Iron Armour +2 we looted from the dungeon together? For you, great price, low price.
What's this? You're walking up to my counter, no doubt to talk about my superb selection of arms and armour and...
Wait. What? You want to sell me a candy apple?

Just... Just get out.

Drascin
2010-09-12, 02:45 AM
Heh, yeah. I found a Breaker Sword in a dungeon once. An old man ended buying it, because much as I tried, Louie would never buy it. I'd have been willing to give it to him for 200 pix if necessary, really. But the AI is a little dumb :smallsigh:

Eliirae
2010-09-12, 02:53 AM
Reminds me of how I bought this very nice dagger for Charme and tried selling it.

She never came to my shop and some old guy bought it for 75k >_>

Trixie
2010-09-12, 04:48 AM
Even bought a few ridiculously overpriced items (500% sale value much?) from some crazy person for the lols.

She asks 500%, but if you talk to her a few times, she will accept 130-140%, just give the same price to her three times.

Heh, yeah. I found a Breaker Sword in a dungeon once. An old man ended buying it, because much as I tried, Louie would never buy it. I'd have been willing to give it to him for 200 pix if necessary, really. But the AI is a little dumb :smallsigh:

Yeah, a pity that there's no option to give the NPCs a gift :smallsigh:

Um, what? Adventurer eats money? Being mildly decent with Louie, you don't actually even need to equip him - just beat Amber Way 15-20 with my trusty initial Worn Sword. And you can get very good profit from dungeoneering - both because you find good stuff, and, much more importantly, because using Fusion with the ingredients you find there is mad profit. I just sold a pendant that cost me 1080 to do (had to buy a necklace to fuse) for well over 25000 pix to Alouette. I'm in the middle of Week three, four days to the 80000 pix payment, and I'm rolling around with 170000+ :smalltongue:

First, to even know this one particular recipe is so profitable, you need to read a spoiler. Second, it requires extremely rare drop (a lizard, from guys who drop almost only nuts and rarer nuts mixes). Third, unless you're high level merchant, which is rather hard to do if you waste time in dungeons, it also requires necklace which is even rarer drop, or is found in one shop, and even then only one.

And, well, since most fusion recipes are massive losses of money and dungeon inventory space...

I suspect you read spoilers, which is kind of like using exploits :smalltongue:

Plus, when you have 30-50 HP, dungeons are boring. There are far too many monsters that can hit you no matter what if you play Louie, forcing you to invest in the healing items, which eats away almost all the profit, you have to play very conservatively, and a simple stroke of bad luck can waste your whole day. No, to me, playing dungeons without geared up adventurer simply isn't fun and is in no way profitable :smallsigh:

That's why I dislike Mage, btw - he might be strong, but is so slow and has attacks requiring extremely high degree of precision that I found playing him so not fun that I thanked myself I tested him in the first, tiny dungeon :smallsigh:

As for being profitable, by third week my shop bring in 400.000-600.000 pix every single day, sadly, I end up investing almost all of this back, to modernize shop, to satisfy customer's orders and to keep inventory which allows me to satisfy random demands.

By the way, I noticed that since I decorated my shop all-heretical (costs 350.000+), little girls ceased to come, and I have less clients, but richer. Hmmmm. I wonder why would anyone decorate it in 'dark' way, then.

Eh, when all these extra NPCs are going to unlock? I'm on day 70 and still no luck! :smallmad:

Malek
2010-09-12, 05:09 AM
I still have no idea how to fully unlock the Robot Girl, Demon, or Elf, despite getting their scenes;
Robot Girl - as far as I understand she's available in post game content, I think you might need everyone else for her
Demon - you'll need to unlock his dungeon, you might also need to beat him in there, not sure
Elf - she's a boss of third dungeon

Oh and I'll also have to disagree on dungeons being unprofitable. I always come out of them with pack full of items that are worth at least a decent bit (with occasional nuggets like Grand Naginata worth 11k, Breaker Sword for 14k - Louie bought it O.o - or ingridients for fuuuusion :P), didn't really spend too much on adventurer gear, and I have had no problems with pix so far (ended week three with almost another 80k to spare... and no I'm not using guides or following min-maxed "104% sales for maximum xp" route)

Drascin
2010-09-12, 06:18 AM
First, to even know this one particular recipe is so profitable, you need to read a spoiler. Second, it requires extremely rare drop (a lizard, from guys who drop almost only nuts and rarer nuts mixes). Third, unless you're high level merchant, which is rather hard to do if you waste time in dungeons, it also requires necklace which is even rarer drop, or is found in one shop, and even then only one.

And, well, since most fusion recipes are massive losses of money and dungeon inventory space...

I suspect you read spoilers, which is kind of like using exploits :smalltongue:

Plus, when you have 30-50 HP, dungeons are boring. There are far too many monsters that can hit you no matter what if you play Louie, forcing you to invest in the healing items, which eats away almost all the profit, you have to play very conservatively, and a simple stroke of bad luck can waste your whole day. No, to me, playing dungeons without geared up adventurer simply isn't fun and is in no way profitable :smallsigh:

A-nope. Why would I need to use spoilers? The game itself tells you what you need if you've ever seen that ingredient. I just use trial and error to see what fusions are the best - but they all tend to be worth the money you spend on them. It's plenty enough. By the way, the mouse with a crowbar drops the charred lizards pretty much every time in my experience, in case you're interested.

And there are no monsters that can hit you no matter what, as well. Everything's actually pretty easy to dodge, excepting maybe Charme when she decides to insist - I only ever bring one healing item into dungeons (lately, usually a Beef Bowl), for those rare emergency moments when you get surrounded by six Tentacle Monsters. I rarely actually use it, but it's good to have a 50HP buffer just in case. But then, I'm rank G*** in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Dodging and countering is second nature to me by now, as is keeping massive lists of odd ingredients just in case they can be good for making stuff later :smalltongue:, and the idea that "playing conservatively" could be bad or boring is alien to my ears.

Trixie
2010-09-12, 06:49 AM
Robot Girl - as far as I understand she's available in post game content, I think you might need everyone else for her
Demon - you'll need to unlock his dungeon, you might also need to beat him in there, not sure
Elf - she's a boss of third dungeon

Thanks, but I have already did all this, and they haven't shown up.

Oh, well, started New Game+, first converting my 600.000+ in pix to stock (money doesn't carry over). Huh, it's weird to see Recette's shop so small again, with the best upgrades already :smallwink:

A pity the starting dungeon doesn't recognize I'm playing Charme, and instead played the standard scene with Louie finishing it as in standard game.

Oh and I'll also have to disagree on dungeons being unprofitable. I always come out of them with pack full of items that are worth at least a decent bit (with occasional nuggets like Grand Naginata worth 11k, Breaker Sword for 14k - Louie bought it O.o - or ingridients for fuuuusion :P), didn't really spend too much on adventurer gear, and I have had no problems with pix so far (ended week three with almost another 80k to spare... and no I'm not using guides or following min-maxed "104% sales for maximum xp" route)

That's the key - nuggets. Sure, you can find them (hell, I found a treasure worth 50.000), but you can find 10 rusty daggers instead, and your profit goes to China. It's too unreliable for me.

And the first weeks are easy, we'll see how you fare in the last :smallwink:

A-nope. Why would I need to use spoilers? The game itself tells you what you need if you've ever seen that ingredient. I just use trial and error to see what fusions are the best - but they all tend to be worth the money you spend on them. It's plenty enough. By the way, the mouse with a crowbar drops the charred lizards pretty much every time in my experience, in case you're interested.

Why? I've looked once on fusion recipes to see why Dungeon is claimed profitable - and while there are two good recipes, and five somewhat profitable, there is also a good number of massive traps that end up costing you money (up to 10.000 loss) which are doubly insidious as they eat ingredients for the good ones.

So, no spoilers, only old save&load method? Ok, my bad :smalltongue:

As for lizard, he only dropped once or twice for me, and low level shopkeeper still has trouble with necklace.

And there are no monsters that can hit you no matter what, as well. Everything's actually pretty easy to dodge, excepting maybe Charme when she decides to insist - I only ever bring one healing item into dungeons (lately, usually a Beef Bowl), for those rare emergency moments when you get surrounded by six Tentacle Monsters.

No? No random jumps from slimes, wasps and rabbits? No high-damage attacks from tentacle-things as soon as you close in? No pumpkins damaging you despite landing an inch away?

Sorry, there's no way to avoid all damage, especially when monsters surround you.

But yeah, later, with better adventurer, the reliance on rings and food decreases. Now, on 300 HP, Charme usually lasts full XP level gain, allowing her to auto-heal.

But then, I'm rank G*** in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Dodging and countering is second nature to me by now, as is keeping massive lists of odd ingredients just in case they can be good for making stuff later :smalltongue:

I guess practice and good gamepad can help, but it doesn't change the fact computer reacts faster than you :smalltongue:

and the idea that "playing conservatively" could be bad or boring is alien to my ears.

It is time consuming. I have various obligations, I don't have the time I had as teenager to maximize anything, minmax every single detail, sit in every dungeon for hours, do single monster runs, nor aim every single attack.

Which is why I like Charme - speed and killyness, and with right equipment she can easily tank, too.

Malek
2010-09-12, 08:00 AM
Thanks, but I have already did all this, and they haven't shown up.
I can confirm the elf since I got her just now. Go to level 30 of Amber Garden, beat her. There will be event afterwards and she'll appear in shop once or twice before giving you the card. If she doesn't come to shop after event then my guess would be that your shop atmosphere is off. Actually atmosphere might also be the problem for demon-guy.

That's the key - nuggets. Sure, you can find them (hell, I found a treasure worth 50.000), but you can find 10 rusty daggers instead, and your profit goes to China. It's too unreliable for me.
Um, no. Nuggets are just that - lucky bits of pure profit. What is keeping me going is the consistent haul of 1.5k-3k items that I get full bag of every time. Perhaps last week it won't be enough, but so far these hauls + working with what events market throws at me was enough :smallsmile:

Drascin
2010-09-12, 08:12 AM
Why? I've looked once on fusion recipes to see why Dungeon is claimed profitable - and while there are two good recipes, and five somewhat profitable, there is also a good number of massive traps that end up costing you money (up to 10.000 loss) which are doubly insidious as they eat ingredients for the good ones.

So, no spoilers, only old save&load method? Ok, my bad :smalltongue:

As for lizard, he only dropped once or twice for me, and low level shopkeeper still has trouble with necklace.

Eh, I have made half a dozen fusions already and none of them have been money traps at all. One of them has been massively profitable, and in every other I've broke... at least a 5000 pix benefit, I think was the one that gave me the absolute least benefit.

And I rarely have reloaded. I just see and try what it makes and sell it. I probably would load if I did jump into a money trap - but since it's not happened yet, it's not been necessary. I actually load more when doing normal selling - mostly in those moments when you get a rush of little girls in your shop, which means you ain't going to be able to sell a thing for anything over maybe 105% and you're not going to get a chance for a decent Just Combo at all unless you start selling everything at like 90%.

No? No random jumps from slimes, wasps and rabbits? No high-damage attacks from tentacle-things as soon as you close in? No pumpkins damaging you despite landing an inch away?

Sorry, there's no way to avoid all damage, especially when monsters surround you.

Oh come on. I can understand sudden surprise bees - those are usually the ones that whittle my HP the most, and they are rather annoying until you get the trick to them. But I refuse to believe anyone can get hit by slimes after the first time. Rabbits you can shoo away easily - just get them into a corner. And tentacle things are killed by staying in place and smacking them when they get near, unless there's more than four, in which case, you run a lap around them to get them to bunch up and then stay still to smack them all at the same time, making it fast business. And since chances are you'll level up at least once per run, healing fully, a little whittling (bees hit for about 1/8th of your HP at the very absolute most having base armor) doesn't really hurt all that much.

I guess practice and good gamepad can help, but it doesn't change the fact computer reacts faster than you :smalltongue:

Faster reaction time doesn't help them when I get diagonal reach and they don't :smalltongue:. It's why I love Louie a lot more than Charme - just approach the enemy a bit by the side, and you can hit almost everything without any risk of reprisal, because the enemies tend towards grid movement. Reach is better than killing speed here.

But really, it's mostly a matter of preference. I find the dungeons fun and easy, and it's a neat way to get a 100% profit instead of a 20% with minimal effort and avoiding the need to keep a million items at the shop at all times. You find them a drudge, so you prefer to focus on the buy/sell part.

By the way, since you've beaten the game, you'll probably know - what are these Vending machines that appeared in the market recently? I didn't buy them because 21000 pix is a hefty amount to spend in something I'm not sure what it does (that's one very-rare-treasure sell, or two more normal items at a good margin!), but I'm curious about what they do.

Ranielle
2010-09-12, 08:27 AM
You dump stuff into them and people can buy their stuff off it. Only the base price though, but they don't get in the way of maximum customers you can have per time slice.

When you buy, say, 2 expansions you'll have more tables than you can reasonably use by timeslice, so the vending machines start earning you pix.

Drascin
2010-09-12, 09:01 AM
That sounds pretty neat, yeah. I think I'll buy one.

Also, mixed blessing just happened. I finally got Louie to buy a goddamn sword (a Steel, nothing too fancy, but still!), but at the same time, the price of armor and treasures just got cut. This would sting less if I hadn't done a hat and treasures' sections restocking yesterday :smallannoyed:. I'll have to wait for it to pass, I guess...

Attilargh
2010-09-12, 11:11 AM
In yo' face, debt! Loli 1 - Cardboard box 0!

Well, to be honest, the box beat me two or three times before I managed to score the required 150,000 profits on the last day, but whatever!

Now, time to have some fun and try out Charme and Bratty Wizard Guy.

Cubey
2010-09-12, 11:12 AM
Okay, just a confirmation - the news that Lamia Arma is a robot are surprising to absolutely no-one, but can you actually form a pactio adventurer pact with her? Awesome if that's the case.

Malek
2010-09-12, 11:45 AM
Okay, just a confirmation - the news that Lamia Arma is a robot are surprising to absolutely no-one, but can you actually form a pactio adventurer pact with her? Awesome if that's the case.
As far as my knowledge goes - yes, you can get her, but only in endless mode, and you need cards for all other adventurers.

Trixie
2010-09-12, 12:39 PM
So, just as I predicted,

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_THRVNyZ8xf0/TI0MxTWPpUI/AAAAAAAAA30/dXkS8Yf2UWg/Charme.jpg

Charme ends up fighting herself. Drats :smallannoyed:

Thought, it wasn't a fight, 2 damage vs 65 wasn't a contest at all.

I'm beginning to feel 'New Game' mode was another demo, and 'New Game+' is the actual game without cut elements.

By the way, Elf girl is fun. Nowhere near as fast as Charme, but I liked her enough to invest 200.000 into her, we'll see how she will fare then. Sure beats Louie and the Mage, though.

By the way, since you've beaten the game, you'll probably know - what are these Vending machines that appeared in the market recently? I didn't buy them because 21000 pix is a hefty amount to spend in something I'm not sure what it does (that's one very-rare-treasure sell, or two more normal items at a good margin!), but I'm curious about what they do.

They're automated dump stations, that I use mainly to get rid of low value junk I cannot bothered to haggle over (say, typical dungeon loot :smallamused: ). A pity they only deal with standard prices. But, your 21K is the worst model, with 6 slots; Better, with 10, costs 85.000.

Here's how shop with 4 machines looks:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_THRVNyZ8xf0/TI0MxVr5uuI/AAAAAAAAA34/_URpt0NBYJw/Shop.jpg

Though, I think the right window is bugged, as I can only show three items on it, and besides, it was unreachable with standard table positions, so I had to move one table.

Eliirae
2010-09-12, 12:46 PM
Though, I think the right window is bugged, as I can only show three items on it, and besides, it was unreachable with standard table positions, so I had to move one table.

Have you tried moving the table below it down a space? That should be enough to let you squeeze through to place a 4th item in a default table formation.

Trixie
2010-09-12, 12:48 PM
Have you tried moving the table below it down a space? That should be enough to let you squeeze through to place a 4th item in a default table formation.

I did, but it looks worse, and then the far right item ceases to glitter.

Unless that's a bug that only happens to me, or the item is still 'displayed' despite not glittering.

Eliirae
2010-09-12, 01:41 PM
I did, but it looks worse, and then the far right item ceases to glitter.

Unless that's a bug that only happens to me, or the item is still 'displayed' despite not glittering.

Mm...No, it's not just you. I just checked myself since my front tables are in the same formation as yours...One item isn't glittering either. HOWEVER, if you move it enough so you can fill the table with items, then move it back into the corner, all items will sparkle. It's a pain, but if you really want all those items to be showcased, that's the way to do it.

Brother Oni
2010-09-12, 02:28 PM
Because once again who gives a flying ****. Anyone who jumps to that conclusions is most likely a person most people would rather not associate with.

The problem is that last I checked, being suspected as a paedophile has something of a social stigma attached to it, to put it lightly.

That person may also report it to the authorities who are generally notorious for not having a sense of humour about such things. Even if they find nothing to prosecute you for, it still doesn't look good and private authorities can be stricter than public ones.

If Trixie is in the unenviable position of having to be careful about what they can play, then I'm not going to push it.

That said, I've just downloaded the demo and I'm getting cavities already... :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2010-09-12, 03:30 PM
Wait, are you saying there are people who would seriously call the police and claim that you are raping children just because they see you playing a game that has a girl in it?

That is slander. You should seriously consider taking legal action against them.

Tono
2010-09-12, 04:48 PM
OKay. Heres where we are? See it? Its amazing. All the way over there? Thats where you have blown this.

Malek
2010-09-12, 05:02 PM
Welp. I'm done with so called "main" game. On the first loop too. I admit that last week was uphill battle, but with some luck, awesome dungeon drops and one reload for last slice I managed to get the 500k pix. Haven't started post-game content, but amount of options for it looks nice :smallbiggrin:

Trixie
2010-09-12, 05:35 PM
Side topic of child drawings spoilered for OT.

Wait, are you saying there are people who would seriously call the police and claim that you are raping children just because they see you playing a game that has a girl in it?

That is slander. You should seriously consider taking legal action against them.

You mean before of after you get arrested and temporarily thrown in prison praying no one learned "charges" against you? :smallconfused:

I'm not saying the situation is as bad here, but there are a lot of countries where you can be thrown into a prison for possessing child pornography, even drawn one. What? Recettear doesn't have any such elements in it? Well, good, but if police gets rapport from someone convinced he/she saw such a thing (and to a lot of people, anything drawn Japanese style is child pornography) you are going to have serious problems until they check it fully, and even if they do it quickly, the damage can already be done, even grievous one.

Remember the case of man arrested for possessing manga starring children in US? Last time I checked, the sentence wasn't that big, but he was put into 'sexual offenders' list, and that is going to seriously ruin anyone's life thanks to cretins who harass everyone on it, no matter if guilty or not.

As far as I know, there was no such case in my country, and I hope there won't be, ever.

On topic, I still haven't managed to unlock the Demon or Robot :smallsigh:

Well, at least I unlocked Elf. That's a big improvement. Eh, I'd like a list what decors attract what customers/NPCs. I made my shop a lot richer, and people stopped to come. In the end, only rival Girl and Elf were stopping in my shop, others being very rare, despite me not having anything they couldn't buy :smallsigh:

Also, a list of client's demands. What the hell are 'warm clothes'? 'Holy items'? 'House decorations'? Some demands are so weird I had no idea what they want, and experiments revealed their attraction to seemingly random items. Why Cat Statue is 'sinister object'? Why Wool Hat is 'heavy armor'? :smallsigh:

I wonder, is the Scam Girl also an adventurer you can unlock? :smallconfused:

Also, apparently, you can create artificial storms on the market. My order of 60 wands created artificial market rush for wands. My mass sale of apples crashed the market for them (complete with 'no demand' tab in the marketplace). Hmmm, must investigate further. Maybe there's a possibility of speculation?

Sigh, I begun doing all the fusions, from A do Z, out of boredom. I'm sick of my shop, so I went to crash all the dungeons. Sadly, I can't unlock the one after 'Amber Way'. Any ideas?

And one last thing, I'm ashamed I noticed the option for 'boss rush' so late. Huh, you can fight all of them in the arena, maybe a good way of getting their items?

Eliirae
2010-09-12, 07:12 PM
Is there a way to force an adventurer to buy equipment so I don't have to carry a weapon and a few armors every time I go exploring? I wanna get the elf equipped but all she does is buy books and sell me walnut bread...I'd even sell her super expensive bows/armor for dirt cheap >_>

Thanatos 51-50
2010-09-12, 07:26 PM
So... I want the lady with the spear. How do I get her?

Vauron
2010-09-12, 07:32 PM
You need to meet her in a dungeon 4 times, than she will start coming to your shop and you can treat her like the other non-Louis adventurers as to how you get her to fight for you.

Sorry, I don't know if you need to be in specific dungeons to meet her, I do know she shows up randomly.

Edit: Eliira: Sorry, not really. You could try only leaving out the stuff you want her to buy, but if she doesn't have enough of a budget to buy an item on the shelves, than she wont bother with it. Do you have a high enough relationship level with her that she can afford the equipment? The game can't tell that you're willing to give it to her at 30-40%, after all.

deuxhero
2010-09-12, 07:44 PM
Hmm, I enjoyed the demo and want to support the devs after reading about them. Which of the 3 sites selling it should I get it from?

Teutonic Knight
2010-09-12, 07:45 PM
You had me JPRG. Just looked at and I will try soon, when I have less work to do. May buy, eventually, once I've played out the demo.

@^: Steam, I would say.

Irbis
2010-09-12, 07:53 PM
Is there a way to force an adventurer to buy equipment so I don't have to carry a weapon and a few armors every time I go exploring? I wanna get the elf equipped but all she does is buy books and sell me walnut bread...I'd even sell her super expensive bows/armor for dirt cheap >_>

Exploit the 'orders' system?

I sold her bow at 8% the value that way :smallredface:

Also, Steam Sucks.

Eliirae
2010-09-12, 08:28 PM
So...How exactly do I unlock the final dungeon? I've beaten all 3 and am in endless mode. Do I need to finish up boss rushes for all the dungeons?

Ranielle
2010-09-13, 05:02 AM
As for unlocking Arma ( robot girl )

You gotta complete the game and then keep playing on endless mode. When you have the cards for all the adventurers other than Arma will come and tell you about a new dungeon. When you beat that dungeon ( 100 floors, I know ) she will give you her card.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-09-13, 06:24 AM
You need to meet her in a dungeon 4 times, than she will start coming to your shop and you can treat her like the other non-Louis adventurers as to how you get her to fight for you.

Sorry, I don't know if you need to be in specific dungeons to meet her, I do know she shows up randomly.

I've never actually recruited anybody but Louis.
Also, I consistantly run into Spear-lady between levels 6 and 14 of Jade Way (but only once).

Celesyne
2010-09-13, 06:44 AM
Jade way is where I found here. Just run through any section of Jade Way several times, she shows up randomly. You need to look in every corner of each level.

Vauron
2010-09-13, 10:26 AM
I've never actually recruited anybody but Louis.
Also, I consistantly run into Spear-lady between levels 6 and 14 of Jade Way (but only once).

Ah, thought you would have Charme already. To obtain another adventurer, first you need to get them to come to your store. For Nagi you need to talk to her 4 times in a dungeon, for the mage you need to fill the order he gives you, for Elan, the pugilist, you need to see a few events at the pub and the park concerning him, etc etc.

Once they start coming to your store, just keep selling to them, trying for pins and near pins. Eventually, they will hand over their card. You're store's atmosphere affects who will come. I don't know what makes Nagi more likely to appear, though I'd expect Plain and some Light would work.

Eliirae
2010-09-13, 10:41 AM
Once they start coming to your store, just keep selling to them, trying for pins and near pins. Eventually, they will hand over their card. You're store's atmosphere affects who will come. I don't know what makes Nagi more likely to appear, though I'd expect Plain and some Light would work.

I've managed to get Nagi, Louie, Charme, Tielle (The elf), Elan, Arma and the mage guy to come at a store atmosphere of (-1, 1). For those that don't get coordinates, slightly (and I mean slightly) to the northwest of the middle of the graph. So...Slightly gaudy and light.

Sadly I can't get the demon guy to appear with it, so I need to get my store dark for him to come in during the evenings. I think you also need to beat the Obsidian Path or whatever it's called dungeon after Louie tells you about it to get him to come again.

Brother Oni
2010-09-13, 12:50 PM
Finished the demo, am going to get the game soon as my next paycheck clears.

The bit I'm really liking is the Samurai Pizza Cats level of dialogue re-writing as 'Yayification' as a translation for 'Yatta' had me in stitches.

It also took me a while to work out the shop name mis-pronunciation as I say 'Recette' with a soft 'c' rather than a hard one in the game. Admittedly the joke only works with a hard one though.

Cubey
2010-09-13, 05:24 PM
Yeah, Recette's name is pronounced with a soft c, it's only Tear who is concerned people will mispronounce it with a hard one and get a wrong idea of what the shop is supposed to be about.

Irbis
2010-09-13, 05:58 PM
You know, I read this discussion and wonder why most languages (including mine) simply use 'k' and 'c' properly instead of this mish-mash :smallconfused:

Pardon my intrusion, but here 'c' is simply 'c', not 'k', and the whole joke is lost.

Anyway, how do you unlock/attract Elan?

Vauron
2010-09-13, 06:31 PM
You need to have two events happen. First, you see him in the pub at night. Than, during the day (I don't recall exactly what time slice, but not at night), an event will fire when you go to the build. After the two events have happened he can start to appear at your shop. Keep in mind that he will have very low budget, and I think he is more likely to come if you have a plain and light shop, with candy in the window.

Tengu_temp
2010-09-13, 08:00 PM
Victory get! I had over 200.000 cash more than needed for the last payment, though I admit that I got lucky with a few price increases of weapons and armor (though to balance it out, accessories had a low price for a long time, after I bought 30 healing rings...). Now it's time to play more in dungeons and unlock more adventurers - I didn't go adventuring at all in the last 2 weeks, and only got the basic 3 heroes (though at least I got Louie's true card).

I love this game. It's cute, very funny, offers fair challenge and has some nice, relaxing music. I only wish it was longer, but that's what optional content is for.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-09-14, 01:08 AM
Yeah, Recette's name is pronounced with a soft c, it's only Tear who is concerned people will mispronounce it with a hard one and get a wrong idea of what the shop is supposed to be about.

Or the right idea.
Buying a candy apple (base price: 1600) from a dude for 400 and selling it back to the same guy (Guild Master) the very next time slice for 2200 is a racket, no?

Dispozition
2010-09-14, 07:19 AM
So, how do you pick up more adventurers? I have Louie, being all awesome except that he still has a worn sword (I just always carry a Crystal Sword around and let him use it) and I've met Charme at the end of Jade...whatever. How do you get to go adventuring with more people?

Thanatos 51-50
2010-09-14, 07:29 AM
So, how do you pick up more adventurers? I have Louie, being all awesome except that he still has a worn sword (I just always carry a Crystal Sword around and let him use it) and I've met Charme at the end of Jade...whatever. How do you get to go adventuring with more people?

See:

Ah, thought you would have Charme already. To obtain another adventurer, first you need to get them to come to your store. For Nagi you need to talk to her 4 times in a dungeon, for the mage you need to fill the order he gives you, for Elan, the pugilist, you need to see a few events at the pub and the park concerning him, etc etc.

Yayifications!

Dispozition
2010-09-14, 07:40 AM
Thanks (:

I figured it was probably something like that, but couldn't be sure.

Cubey
2010-09-14, 08:27 AM
Or the right idea.
Buying a candy apple (base price: 1600) from a dude for 400 and selling it back to the same guy (Guild Master) the very next time slice for 2200 is a racket, no?

Or how about that one time when Louie bought a watermelon - yes, I was surprised he was able to afford it too, only to sell it back to you a week later? He called it his treasure. Apparently it was too costly to eat. Well, it's mine now! And I earned on the whole transaction, too.

Okay. I got nothing.

kR1pt0n1t3
2010-09-14, 09:11 AM
I see few ppl are trashtalking Louie that hes poor and doesnt buy anything. This is my louie day 26 with 178k money. First time playing so far didnt fail with payments.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4503/louie.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/louie.jpg/)

He buyed almost every weapon i had with base price over 5k. Also i made tons of new stuff with fusion ( mermaid boots, rainbow cloak , 5-6 sword. sold it all over 80k ). Also got lucky on last boss in Amber Garden. She dropped some insane item with base price 20k . And i sold it for 36k to some guy dont remember quite well who it was. I tried killing her like 10 more times and she never dropped it ever... she now drops only some book with price 4.6k i think. Also once some dude came in shop and wanted to sell me item with base price of 64k and unluckly i wanted to buy it for 32k and he just turned around and went without giving me a 2nd chance to raise the price :(

So far game is quite fun althought i got tired with same dungeons.. hope new ones opens within few ingame days or ill go nuts. Yea also i got now 4 characters... Can't figure out how to get that orphan guy and that nub chick that wanted to just take items from your shop without paying. Also other chick which appears lost in dungeon... can't get her also.... :(

Any1 knows what happens if you pay 500k ( highly doubt ill manage to pay that one ) on day 36? game finished or?

Tengu_temp
2010-09-14, 09:40 AM
Louie starts with little money, but if you sell him stuff at affection prices (around 100-105%, higher for some characters like little girls), his budget will quickly grow. Same is true for all other characters.

When you pay the last rate, you can continue playing ad infinitum (the game doesn't block any new content to my knowledge, in fact it unlocks a few new dungeons and stuff), and you also get access to several new game+ features, including a survival mode.

kR1pt0n1t3
2010-09-14, 11:36 AM
I didn't sell him stuff at 100%-105% .. so far i've always sold stuff around 120-130%. If its high price then i sell around 160-180% depends whos buying it.... usually those little girls want it cheap as it goes...

btw. do you get any negative points or bad reputation or something when you dont sell something. Also what do you get when it says near pin or just combo?

how does it affect you , shop, characters? i couldnt find anything about it. some1 care to explain? Also walls, floor .. does that also affect buyers? i guess it does but in what way?

Is it possible to complete the game in first run... i just payed 200k and got 76k left ^^ and like 6-7 days to pay back 500k. I don't think ill be able to pay it back unless i get lucky with drops in dungeon. Did any of you manage to do it?

TIA

Cubey
2010-09-14, 11:48 AM
Pins and near pins increase the character's affection level. The higher the affection, the more money they're willing to spend.

Also note that there's a difference between selling a particular item the buyer picks and wants (when they are generally willing to spend at least 100% of its value, often a lot more), and when they just say they want "a hat" or "a weapon" and you're the one who makes a decision. You can pick an item that is too expensive for them, and then it will be a very hard sell, even if you set the price at 70% or less.

Walls, floor and counters affect the atmosphere of the shop. The gaudier, the more expensive items the buyers will expect. But it also means you may get less of them, because the poorer ones will stay away. The dark/light axis mostly affects appearance of special characters, not generic buyers.

Mewtarthio
2010-09-14, 12:40 PM
ISo far game is quite fun althought i got tired with same dungeons.. hope new ones opens within few ingame days or ill go nuts.

You've cleared Amber Gardens, you say? In that case:
Have a look outside the shop at night. If the Park is glowing, go there, and you should meet a demon. You need to meet with him twice, then get your store's atmosphere to "Dark" and he will visit the store. After he's visited your store once, just wait a bit and Louie will eventually announce a new dungeon.

btw. do you get any negative points or bad reputation or something when you dont sell something. Also what do you get when it says near pin or just combo?

how does it affect you , shop, characters? i couldnt find anything about it. some1 care to explain? Also walls, floor .. does that also affect buyers? i guess it does but in what way?

"Just Combo" means that you've been making haggle-free sales. If your customers' transactions go through on your first offer, they like you more, and you get a bit more experience. The "combo" occurs when this happens with multiple simultaneous customers, and its experience bonus increases exponentially. Large combos are pretty much the only way to make a dent in the experience bar at high levels. Note that customers who leave break the chain, even if you have good reason to turn them away (eg Euria and her overpriced "art").

"Near pin" involves guessing exactly what the customer intends to pay. I think it's mostly luck-based. Apparently there are certain percentages that are more likely to come up for each customer, but I haven't bothered with it.

The store atmosphere attracts different types of customers. Gaudier stores get fewer but richer customers. Dark stores attract NPCs that aren't particularly fond of the church elders, like Caillou and the demon.

kR1pt0n1t3
2010-09-14, 05:23 PM
Crap i got few times alot of xp on sale and was wondering why has that happened.... now it finaly makes sense...Don't remember tear saying anything about combos in her tutorials and i didnt think much i guess else i would've figured it out myself ^_^

Usually when that little girl comes i just kick her out since she gets on my nerve so i never noticed increase in amount of xp you get when selling items. :P

btw. can you see how much affection you got with characters anywhere?

btw2. So what happens when you fail to pay back? I probably wont be able to pay 500k since it seams impossible to get that kind of money in 6 days i got left.

thx guys.

@Curey - I've met that demon guy. So far he didnt come to my shop... i've met him twice.... you sure there isnt something you forgot?

A Rainy Knight
2010-09-14, 05:41 PM
btw2. So what happens when you fail to pay back? I probably wont be able to pay 500k since it seams impossible to get that kind of money in 6 days i got left.

You start back at Day 2 with your original 1000 pix, but you get to keep all of your items, merchant levels, and level-ups earned with your adventurers. If you're going to give up on making a payment, you should try to spend everything on more inventory before the payment comes due so you can start again with a leg up.

Mewtarthio
2010-09-14, 05:51 PM
@Curey - I've met that demon guy. So far he didnt come to my shop... i've met him twice.... you sure there isnt something you forgot?

What's your store atmosphere like? I think you need to be fairly dark before he comes. Try puttin out some Heretical decorations and see if that helps.

kR1pt0n1t3
2010-09-14, 06:09 PM
What's your store atmosphere like? I think you need to be fairly dark before he comes. Try puttin out some Heretical decorations and see if that helps.

That might actually be a problem since i didn't know about combo system my merchant lvl is only 9 :( also i dont have money to buy it now ^_^I'll try to buy it in those 6 days i got left then ill have to start all over again :(

Any of you managed to finish game on their first run without failing to pay your fathers bills... ( who would want to have dad like that, Bastardo... )

Bad Situation
2010-09-14, 06:11 PM
Hey, what Store Atmosphere affects Charme's appearance? I've been trying to upgrade her things but she's stopped showing up as of late.

EDIT: Yeah, I beat it on my first run though. I managed to make 620k by the end of week 4. I had to toy around with the store decorations a lot to find a good balance though.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x44/Napkin183/420kSuckIt.png

Dispozition
2010-09-14, 06:51 PM
So, I'm seeing all this talk of selling for 105% or 180% when it's expensive...Why would you ever sell that cheap, even early game. Little girls will always pay 113%, women about 118%, Louie 115%, men 125%, old men 124%. The other characters I haven't exactly pinned. I think Arma is 132%. When prices are high each one pretty much doubles. Oh, the rich girl (I forget her name) buys at like, 160% base price on normal items, 300+ on expensive ones.

So, yeah...What are you all going on about 110% :-/
I've always sold at this, and my characters will get hearts...A lot. I think Louie has like, 5 now?

On another note, I beat the game on my first run, only had to reload...3 times? The last payment I was about 20k short on the last time block with nearly everything I owned down in price >.<

@^: Charme shows up at the end of the second dungeon. Or, for me she did at least. After that she comes into your store.

Bad Situation
2010-09-14, 07:04 PM
@^: Charme shows up at the end of the second dungeon. Or, for me she did at least. After that she comes into your store.

No no, I know how to get her. I'm running her through the Tower of Obsidian right now but I'm trying to get her into my shop more often so that I have more chances to upgrade her gear. She still has scrap plate, I have to loan her armor every time and this gets in the way of my ingredients hunting.

Malek
2010-09-14, 07:26 PM
So, I'm seeing all this talk of selling for 105% or 180% when it's expensive...Why would you ever sell that cheap, even early game.
It's because people calculated, during the time that only demo was available, that selling at 104% and selling at 70% maximizes chances of Near Pin/Just Bonus, which in turn maximizes speed of merchant level and buyer reputation gain, which makes long term moneymaking supposedly easier.

In other words it's min-maxing of sorts :smalltongue:

Pins and near pins increase the character's affection level. The higher the affection, the more money they're willing to spend.
Actually they just affect the reputation/affection level faster. Buyers will increase reputation and thus their wallets even if you don't get these, though it will happen (probably much) slower

Dispozition
2010-09-14, 07:39 PM
The fact that I made 200k in my last repayment day speaks as to my method being awesome.

But I can see why people would like to min/max exp and stuff like that.

Bad Situation
2010-09-14, 07:45 PM
The fact that I made 200k in my last repayment day speaks as to my method being awesome.

But I can see why people would like to min/max exp and stuff like that.
It gets pretty easy making money later on though. On a good day with a stock full of items I could probably pull off 500-700k and 1-2 merchant levels. Although I am on day 72 (Endless Mode) now so this doesn't mean much. After I get my adventurers a little higher I'll try out New Game Plus.

In other news, Double-Experience maps are awesome.

EDIT: I put 42 instead of 72.

Trixie
2010-09-15, 03:54 AM
I see few ppl are trashtalking Louie that hes poor and doesnt buy anything. This is my louie day 26 with 178k money. First time playing so far didnt fail with payments.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4503/louie.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/louie.jpg/)

Our NPCs used to suck, too :smallsmile:

Sorry, no offense, but this picture is so nostalgic. Level 2.5 gear... Haven't seen that in a while. Cute ;)

So, I'm seeing all this talk of selling for 105% or 180% when it's expensive...Why would you ever sell that cheap, even early game. Little girls will always pay 113%, women about 118%, Louie 115%, men 125%, old men 124%. The other characters I haven't exactly pinned. I think Arma is 132%. When prices are high each one pretty much doubles. Oh, the rich girl (I forget her name) buys at like, 160% base price on normal items, 300+ on expensive ones.

Why? Because money means nothing in the game. Eventually, you'll have so much you will not know what to do with it. XP, though, is invaluable, priceless, even, and I'm perfectly well prepared to lose however much I have to to maximize my gains. You need to be level 50 to gain last bonus, and you'll never gain this if you gouge the clients.

As people above mentioned, I usually sell at 104%, even during the high price periods, because I'm too lazy to pin various people and because this helps the wallets grow. Eventually, 95% of your profits will be in vending machines and orders, not in what you sell in the store.

By the way, I have begun to wonder if buying all expansions is indeed the way to go, or if it isn't better to let the shop stay small.

Well, with my method, I can earn 600k-700k on a good day, at mentioned 104%. Had I bothered, I'd pull 1200k, but why would I need to? At this point, you literally cannot invest fast enough. And, too much real time lost that way.

---

By the way, beat New Game+ as well. Man, I hate green/orange and white/purple tentacle monsters! :smallannoyed: They literally deal 10x as much damage as bosses! I don't know if they're bugged or not, but that's literally the only monster I use character's special skills, too.

And I agree, hidden dungeons, unlike first three ones, are actually profitable. They drop enough good stuff make them worth my while, which means I abandoned my shop as of late to make all sorts of boss runs.

And no, bosses don't drop the items all the time. Whoever told this, lied.

By the way, the fusion items you sold? It was a trap. Turns out, to produce level 4 and 5 fusion items you'll need all the items you just sold - because the end product requires enormous amounts of materials. If you didn't let these items accumulate, it will be ages before you can produce the highest tier :P

Malek
2010-09-15, 06:43 AM
Why? Because money means nothing in the game. Eventually, you'll have so much you will not know what to do with it. XP, though, is invaluable, priceless, even, and I'm perfectly well prepared to lose however much I have to to maximize my gains. You need to be level 50 to gain last bonus, and you'll never gain this if you gouge the clients.

As people above mentioned, I usually sell at 104%, even during the high price periods, because I'm too lazy to pin various people and because this helps the wallets grow. Eventually, 95% of your profits will be in vending machines and orders, not in what you sell in the store.

By the way, I have begun to wonder if buying all expansions is indeed the way to go, or if it isn't better to let the shop stay small.

Well, with my method, I can earn 600k-700k on a good day, at mentioned 104%. Had I bothered, I'd pull 1200k, but why would I need to? At this point, you literally cannot invest fast enough. And, too much real time lost that way.

The catch here is that any way you look at it the "sell 104%/buy 70%" is way of optimization/min-maxing/however you want to call it. And it's perfectly possible to win without it. In the end it's up to personal preference - if you prefer squeezing out every benefit and getting merchant level benefits as soon as possible (or simply cannot win the game otherwise) then 104/70 percentage is way for you. But if you are like me and don't care about optimal way it's still possible to win and enjoy the game without it :smallwink:

By the way, beat New Game+ as well. Man, I hate green/orange and white/purple tentacle monsters! :smallannoyed: They literally deal 10x as much damage as bosses! I don't know if they're bugged or not, but that's literally the only monster I use character's special skills, too.

Have you updated your game to version 1.106? Prior to that many monsters were bugged, and it sounds like you're still playing pre-patch version. If you have Steam version you should have the update downloaded automatically, but for impulse or direct download from GamersGate you probably need to download it from games website and apply it manually.

Cubey
2010-09-15, 08:20 AM
I'd say this game is easy enough that you don't have to minmax your way through, at least as far as normal campaign is concerned. Just know what you're doing and you'll be fine.

Trixie
2010-09-15, 08:25 AM
The catch here is that any way you look at it the "sell 104%/buy 70%" is way of optimization/min-maxing/however you want to call it.

No it isn't. I started selling at 105% because my 130% from the demo was useless and I noticed some customers won't go above this (at first, at least) so I started selling to anyone to not bother myself witch checking who wants to buy at what level. Only later I noticed it brings more money as well.

The customers like me enough to buy much higher now, but new NPC's are still at 105% stage and I don't want to bother checking how much anyone will accept.

And it's perfectly possible to win without it. In the end it's up to personal preference - if you prefer squeezing out every benefit and getting merchant level benefits as soon as possible (or simply cannot win the game otherwise) then 104/70 percentage is way for you. But if you are like me and don't care about optimal way it's still possible to win and enjoy the game without it :smallwink:

Meh, it means much less money earlier, much more later. I'd do it even simply because this grants me more options and I want to see what the level 50 bonus is. As I said, money ceases to matter as soon as toy can reliably earn 6 digits per day.

Which is much easier with high tiers, orders, trust and other stuff high merchant level gives you.

Have you updated your game to version 1.106? Prior to that many monsters were bugged, and it sounds like you're still playing pre-patch version. If you have Steam version you should have the update downloaded automatically, but for impulse or direct download from GamersGate you probably need to download it from games website and apply it manually.

I thought the info that I hate Steam with a burning passion is pretty much public knowledge now.

Knaight
2010-09-15, 04:57 PM
I thought the info that I hate Steam with a burning passion is pretty much public knowledge now.

There is some degree of identification by avatar though. Which vanished with sufficiently dramatic changes.

Vauron
2010-09-15, 06:33 PM
Meh, it means much less money earlier, much more later. I'd do it even simply because this grants me more options and I want to see what the level 50 bonus is. As I said, money ceases to matter as soon as toy can reliably earn 6 digits per day.

Its not that good, by the time you get it you have no excuse to ever have it used.

Trixie
2010-09-15, 06:34 PM
There is some degree of identification by avatar though. Which vanished with sufficiently dramatic changes.

I'm identified precisely by sudden avatar changes :smalltongue:

But ok, maybe this MP themed avatar is a bit too far from my usual set. Will fix in the morning.