PDA

View Full Version : Character ideas [3.5]

Daelen
2010-07-31, 04:30 PM
I will hopefully be starting in a new game soonish, and I need some ideas. What I know about the game is as follows:

28 or 30 pt buy
Core 3 books plus Stormwrack
1st level

the world is based on the Tang dynasty of China. There is an Emperor, an Imperial Council, a Senate(Which you buy your way onto, instead of getting voted on), Citizens, and Subjects. You have to buy your way into Citizenship, and the amount is too high for a 1st level character so we will start as subjects. Basically this will mean that we have to pay any time we want to vote, and unless we can find a citizen to sponsor us, we can't plead cases in court. I am sure there are other problems, but those are the ones I know about.

The only character I know for sure will be around is a Barbarian, Elf of some sort (hoping the DM allows subraces)... this is a long standing character for that player and she plays her beautifully. There will be at least 5 players, and I have no idea where to take this character. Any ideas that pop into peoples minds?

Prodan
2010-07-31, 04:52 PM
Monk. You will feel right at home.

Machiavellian
2010-07-31, 04:59 PM
Okay, since you are only allowed Core and Stormwrack, I actually suggest the following:

Race: Darfellan (Stormwrack)
Class: Ranger 5/Barbarian 10/Leviathan Hunter 5

Use a combo of Dual Scimitars, rage (and with another feat, your companion also rages), and be the "Ultimate Big Game Hunter"

gbprime
2010-07-31, 05:11 PM
Warbalde/Swordsage/Master of the Nine

Someone... is not listening. :smallamused:

Two questions...

(1) Is the GM including stormwrack just because he/she owns it, or because it is important to the setting/plot?

(2) What kind of character are you interested in playing? fighty, sneaky, skilly, divine, arcane...

Prodan
2010-07-31, 05:12 PM
Oh ho ho! Think again!

gbprime
2010-07-31, 05:13 PM
Oh ho ho! Think again!

Someone... bought ranks in Hindsight. :smallbiggrin:

Daelen
2010-07-31, 05:46 PM
Someone... is not listening. :smallamused:

Two questions...

(1) Is the GM including stormwrack just because he/she owns it, or because it is important to the setting/plot?

(2) What kind of character are you interested in playing? fighty, sneaky, skilly, divine, arcane...

The game is being referred to as High Seas and Political Intrigue, so Stormwrack is going to be central to the plot. I'm hoping that the races out of it will be allowed because that Darfellan build actually looks like fun

So far I've only come up with character ideas, not mechanics.
The two I'm leaning towards are the simple dockworker who is not the most intelligent, or wisest, but everyone seems to like (lowest stats in Int and Wis, probably a Barbarian so high Str, Con, maybe Dex but making sure Cha doesn't take a hit.)

And the high society type. A character who is a son of one of the Senators, but has adventuring in his heart. I'm not sure how I'd play that character but he might be more fun than the other.

Prodan
2010-07-31, 05:49 PM
And the high society type. A character who is a son of one of the Senators, but has adventuring in his heart. I'm not sure how I'd play that character but he might be more fun than the other.

Easy. Bard.

Daelen
2010-07-31, 06:16 PM
Easy. Bard.

Would a Bard/Dread Pirate(if I can get it allowed) be a good combination?

Prodan
2010-07-31, 06:20 PM
Not really.

bravebonebook
2010-07-31, 07:00 PM
An aquatic Druid or Mage or Sorcerer going for Sea Witch PrC.

Xyk
2010-07-31, 07:03 PM
If you want dread pirate, go with mostly rogue levels. Take perform if you want.

gbprime
2010-07-31, 07:19 PM

Heck, this could be Bard, Paladin, or even Aristocrat. Depends on where you want him going and what powers you are looking to pick up. To be truly swept away with a new career, Aristocrat might be a fun lvl 1 class, then switch out to whatever else comes your way that you latch on to. (Since it doesn't sound like you're looking for optimization here...)

Daelen
2010-07-31, 07:34 PM
I'm looking for optimization within what I have to choose from, but I'm also just looking to have fun. I'm at a complete loss for what to do with this character... though the more I'm looking at it, the more I'm leaning towards a spellcaster, probably arcane.