PDA

View Full Version : Glaistig

unimaginable
2010-07-31, 07:44 PM
Several sessions ago I came up with a good plot, a Glaistig feuding with an mad-scientist Eladrin in the Beastlands, a byproduct of the Eladrin coming in to fight off Tanar'ri who are there to hunt down an escaped Obyrith.

Now we've had a break and substantial turn around, so need to reimagine things somewhat.

Has anyone ever had a Glaistig in their game before? Basically a Dryad, except with a pond instead of a tree, and she likes to seduce men and suck their blood vampire style -- but she's not malevolent about it so she isn't actually evil.

Marnath
2010-07-31, 07:48 PM
How is this fey going to contribute to the party's missions? Don't they, like, die if they leave their pool or it's immediate vincinity?

unimaginable
2010-08-01, 04:20 AM
The Glaistig is a central player. Basically, she has a really beautiful singing voice, and the other fey love to make music with her. The Eladrin has been unleashing massive amounts of positive energy to provide healing for Eladrin wounded, but that combined with the already ridiculous plant growth in the Beastlands has caused the evolution and rampant propagation of a new kind of vine that grows over everything, including itself, impossibly thick because its leaves have adapted to feed off of ambient Positive energy rather than light, and the stalk itself acts as an attractor for the energy. That vine now threatens the Glaistig's pond, and thus the Glaistig wishes the party to kill the Eladrin, or at least prevent him from continuing to use his device. If the party doesn't do what she wants, the fey that tricked them into coming to the beastlands in the first place will not allow them to leave, and if they kill her, the other fey will avenge the loss of her beautiful voice.

On the other hand, they could take the side of the Eladrin instead, and help them close the portal to the Abyss. That, of course, is impossible to do through straightforward combat (or it would've happened already): Tanar'ri have surprisingly fortified the portal quite tightly and aren't simply pouring through... they're looking for something: an escaped Obyrith who they wish to hunt into extinction. The fey know where that Obyrith is... and won't be helpful unless progress is first made stopping the spread of the vine; the Eladrin on the other hand won't stop using their healing machine until the Tanar'ri are completely driven back and the portal closed.

Thus we have a complex situation the PCs can solve any number of ways. The Tanar'ri, the Fey and the Eladrin could all provide them with portals to go anywhere... or they could just wander the Beastlands, even set up shop (the party has a druid, after all, maybe they'll like it there :-P).

Point is... there are two important fey: a Faery Dragon (their trickster of a guide who never gives useful information) and a Glaistig (who would backstab any male character who visits her alone, which is unlikely because there's currently only one male out of four in the party, and he's both a coward and too knowledgeable to get tricked like that). What I'm after is advice on how to roleplay the two.

Runestar
2010-08-01, 06:09 AM
My only memory of the glasitig was my group laughing over how it was given a LA in MM3. Is there some campaign which is supposed to revolve around a body of water from lv1-20? :smalltongue:

Tanuki Tales
2010-08-01, 10:08 AM
My only memory of the glasitig was my group laughing over how it was given a LA in MM3. Is there some campaign which is supposed to revolve around a body of water from lv1-20? :smalltongue:

Put the entire body of water into a kind of reverse Decanter of Endless Water?

Flickerdart
2010-08-01, 10:31 AM
There's a spell, I believe, that removes special qualities, the dependence on water or trees being one of such qualities.

Serpentine
2010-08-01, 10:35 AM
I would like to mention that that sounds like an excellent plot. Lots of options, and lots of shades of grey.

As to your question, what exactly is it you need help with? What's the turn around? When you say "in your game", do you mean as a party member (as others appear to have assumed), or "as a monster/npc/anything"?

unimaginable
2010-08-01, 01:20 PM
I would like to mention that that sounds like an excellent plot. Lots of options, and lots of shades of grey.

As to your question, what exactly is it you need help with? What's the turn around? When you say "in your game", do you mean as a party member (as others appear to have assumed), or "as a monster/npc/anything"?By turnaround I mean that two players have left the group, and at least one is joining.

Thanks for the compliments on the plot... concept has always been my strength. Implementation I'm not always quite as good at (sometimes)... hence the request for help. Specifically, ideas for describing things, and ideas for how to RP things.

Not looking to have her leave the pond. Just looking for ideas on how she should act/talk. Same with the other fey. My brother suggested the idea of having Fey take things "too literally," which amuses me: his example was the question "may I have your name?" resulting in the character's name actually ceasing to be theirs and becoming the name of the one who asked. I like the concept, but not sold on the specific example, so I need others.

Marnath
2010-08-01, 02:00 PM
I like the idea of fey taking things too literally. Off the top of my head i can think of only a few examples. Like, if you asked when her birthday was(assuming that she hasn't existed since the dawn of time :smalleek:) she'd reply "at the beginning of my life, of course:smallconfused:." Another could be if you asked her for payment for helping her have her give you a fish(which happens to be an extraplanar fish native to her pool which the name of it's species sounds exactly like the word payment.)

unimaginable
2010-08-01, 02:39 PM
Something more surreal would be cool, too. It's just hard to come up with. I want to reinforce the otherworldly feeling of fey, like they simply don't follow the same rules as mortals, aren't concerned about the same things, and where there's confusion it always comes out in favour of them.