PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Thunderlance?

Dragannia
2010-07-31, 08:15 PM
I'm working as an Abjurant Champion so the force lance is quite good with me, but since I can't enchant it, what ways are there to improve upon the lance? I'm thinking things like the pyro or the elemental warrior's weapon aflame abilities, but more broad, applying to other enchantments. Specifically I'm looking for something that might grant it Bane or Holy. Someone on the forums suggested Magic Weapon which is good, but anything that goes further? Any ideas?

arguskos
2010-07-31, 08:17 PM
Artficier, using infusions to buff it through Personal Weapon Augmentation? Casting time on the infusion (1 minute) might hurt though.

Boci
2010-07-31, 08:18 PM
Artficier, using infusions to buff it through Personal Weapon Augmentation? Casting time on the infusion (1 minute) might hurt though.

You can hold the charge / burn an action point on it.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-07-31, 09:58 PM
I'm working as an Abjurant Champion so the force lance is quite good with me, but since I can't enchant it, what ways are there to improve upon the lance? I'm thinking things like the pyro or the elemental warrior's weapon aflame abilities, but more broad, applying to other enchantments. Specifically I'm looking for something that might grant it Bane or Holy. Someone on the forums suggested Magic Weapon which is good, but anything that goes further? Any ideas?

That would be me who suggested casting magic weapon on it. Anyway many weapon enchantments have a spell that duplicate the effects. You could use weapon of energy to make your lance flaming, shocking or other elements.

With some UMD you could us a wand of Undead Bane[clr4] to make a weapon count as good aligned and bane against undead. The paladin spell Holy Sword could make your thunderlance holy, but once again you'd need an item to UMD with. [if your a sorcerer gish a few cross ranks in UMD+your charisma could let you do wands]

Other things you can do, persistent wraithstrike so all your melee attacks are touch attacks. I can say from personal experience that it is very effective on conjunction with power attack. Plenty of mighty creatures have crappy touch AC's.

Bladeweave is also a spell that enhances your weapon it makes your attacks run the risk of dazing the target, very useful on a gish build.
So you just have to find stuff you could cast on your weapon

Sanctify spell should make half the damage from thunderlance holy, however as a metamagic feat that could cause you problems.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-01, 12:24 AM
If you can include 3-4 Incantatrix levels in your build you could make Thunderlance Persistent via Metamagic Effect. A Wizard 4/ Fighter 2/ Spellsword 1/ Incantatrix 4/ Abjurant Champion 5/ EK 4 gets 9th level spells and +16 BAB by level 20, for example. In that case, you can use Metamagic Effect to Persist spells like Bladeweave and Wraithstrike, and of course use (Extended) Greater Magic Weapon on the Thunderlance. With Wraithstrike you can two-handed Power Attack with it, which would put out a lot more damage than extra dice. Take Leap Attack to get an even greater bonus to damage, along with Combat Reflexes since you'll have a 20 ft. reach and your Leap Attack damage will still be applied even on AoOs until your next turn. You could also (Persistent Draconic) Polymorph into a Cave Troll to get its Dazing Blow ability along with Pounce.