PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/caster and PrC requirements

Kaje
2010-08-01, 12:06 AM
Ok, so as we know, the warlock benefits from PrCs with the "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" benefit, but they don't qualify for PrCs that require a certain level of spellcasting, as they don't actually learn spells.

But what if I had something like a warlock/wizard who can cast the required level of spells? Could I then choose to advance the warlock invocations instead of the wizard spellcasting? Is that against RAW or RAI?

Prodan
2010-08-01, 12:08 AM
RAW yes. RAI no. Ask your DM, he might rule that you don't even need to multiclass to qualify for prestige classes like that.

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-01, 12:10 AM
Personally I let Warlocks qualify for whatever PrCs they want, as long as they don't abuse discrepancies between their casting and normal casting.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-01, 12:12 AM
RAW yes. RAI no. Ask your DM, he might rule that you don't even need to multiclass to qualify for prestige classes like that.

How can something be RAW but not RAI?

Anyway AFAIK all the prestige classes that advance spellcasting say that if you had more than one spellcasting class previous to taking the prestige class you can choose which of them to advance.

Prodan
2010-08-01, 12:13 AM
How can something be RAW but not RAI?

Open your PHB. Note that Monks do not actually get proficiency in Unarmed Strikes.

Kaje
2010-08-01, 12:15 AM
Wow, thanks for swift answers.

Anyway AFAIK all the prestige classes that advance spellcasting say that if you had more than one spellcasting class previous to taking the prestige class you can choose which of them to advance.Well yes, but the grey area here is that the spellcasting class I'd advance is the one that doesn't even qualify for the the prestige class in the first place.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-01, 12:19 AM
Open your PHB. Note that Monks do not actually get proficiency in Unarmed Strikes.

Touché......

anyway can you please explain in this particular case it is RAW but not RAI?

Prodan
2010-08-01, 12:20 AM
It's more of a gray area I interpret in my favor...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-01, 12:23 AM
I see....sorta

Prodan
2010-08-01, 12:24 AM
I see....sorta

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/toddsun/RulesInterpretations.jpg