PDA

View Full Version : Half-orc and Half-elf Modification Thread

Andion Isurand
2010-08-01, 01:08 AM
What existing modifications have you for these two unfortunate races?
Feel free to link any old threads on this same subject to help reclaim them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

HALF-ORC

+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
A half-orc's starting Intelligence score is always at least 3. If this adjustment would lower the character's score to 1 or 2, his score is nevertheless 3.
Medium: As Medium creatures, half-orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Half-orc base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Half-orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
+2 racial bonus on Intimidate and Survival checks.
Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-orc takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

HALF-ELVES

Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
+2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.
+1 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks.
+1 racial bonus on skill checks that benefit from a synergy bonus.
Immunity to magic sleep effects.
Trance: Half-elves that trance for 6 hours gain the same benefit a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.
Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-elf takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.

Bhu
2010-08-01, 01:51 AM
For half races Ive always thought it's easier to take either one race or the other (whichever you more closely take after) ad take some sort of Heritage Feat. It doesnt work for some things though.

Zaydos
2010-08-01, 01:57 AM
For half-orcs I did the same except without the bonus to Survival checks. For half-elves I just added the human bonus skill points and constantly dithered over whether it was too much, but it only came up once and the player kept forgetting it (I reminded him multiple times). I also gave them both Human Blooded as suggested in Races of Destiny.

Yora
2010-08-01, 07:41 AM
I added bonus skill points to Half-elves, and removed the Int-penalty for Half-orcs. Today we know that Strength really isn't the most important ability, and half-orcs have so few racial traits, that +2 Str, -2 Cha seems quite balanced. And compared to orcs, they are supposed to be smarter.