PDA

View Full Version : Aeden the Oasis City ~ IC~

Doombringer
2010-08-01, 03:29 AM
The Desert was all around you for miles around as you made your way to Aeden once more. The palm trees could be seen in the distance greeting you to their cool shade. The oasis city or the desert's flower as it was called was impressive in the fact that it held over ten thousand citizens..and freely used fountains and intricate sewers..nothing like it in the desert would ever or has ever been found the wizards who started the city proudly boasted. You know that the closest town or even village is weeks away. The closer you get that familiar white brick wall of the city looks comforting as you enter with merchant caravans you see the massive wooden doors carved with a rose..you are now free to roam about and take in some unusual comforts.

The 16:

•1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? 4th edition D&D
•2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Homebrew style 4th edition.
•3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 4 or 5 max...will take the the best rounded group.
•4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? This Forum
•5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? 6th or 7th you decide as a group and let me know.
•6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Standard for 4th.
•7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Use the books..no hombrew...no hybrids.
•8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Any allowed in 4th edition yes that means goblins and orcs etc.
•9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 4th does it for you...
•10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? No evil.
•11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Maybe later..4th edition doesnt make as much sense to multicalss IMO.
•12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Honor system..you always hit I will look at you funny :P.
•13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. None just the world.
•14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Yes a small background is nice.
•15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? 4th is more combat but rp and puzzles will be included.
•16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Any class allowed save hybrids.

The World:

Aeden the Oasis City or as some call it the desert's flower. Your adventure will start here recently an outbreak of poison has spread panic throughout the city and several of the temples have begun to worry that they might not be able to contain it much longer. A reward has been offered for brave souls to find the root of this problem. The only thing is can you find out who is behind this tragedy before it is to late?

OOC Thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9050113#post9050113

THIS GAME IS NOW CLOSED SORRY NO ACTIVITY

the_truthseeker
2010-08-01, 06:01 AM
Paik
Paik appeared to be the first one returning to Aeden. The possible variant of the common word Eden, and what this oasis place stood for was not lost on him, but neither was the thought of what can kill even the mightiest of civilizations and his home for the last several years. His thoughts were as grim as the situation:

Yes, perhaps nobody in recorded history has done what they have with aqueducts and fountains and sewers, but poison and disease know no barrier and leave only the creations behind while the civilization is long gone. Now it is up to me and the others of us chosen-often we labeled the "savages"-to save this civilization, perhaps even all they know of their world.
Not all of us can withdraw to the more savage lands and expect to adapt. I have not seen one being besides I call upon the vestige of Zutwa and its boundless energy. Many of the hairless humanoids are simply too...soft for that now. And survival allows only the toughest to survive....

Approaching the gates with the Goblin, Half-Orc, Warforged and Dwarf moving at their respective paces, Paik wasn't even sure how long he had traveled there and back again. The shimmering of the bright sands behind him made it difficult at best to look back and see who was there and where they were if they were there.

His voice as he spoke was slightly gruff-sounding, but it actually was from the dryness of his throat.

*Cough* "Open the gates. We are the ones investigating the epidemic of poison! It is I, Paik, channeler of nature's power and the leader of the Bloody Claws that have defended this city so well. Let me know what to report and to whom, then I must rest and resupply before seeing my family and colleagues again!"

Lord Raziere
2010-08-01, 08:38 AM
Tannak Halftooth

"Oy, Paik don't be don't be so rude...."
Tannak strode up to the gates, passing Paik, politely knocking smiling like everything's fine and asking.
"Oy y'alls, pardon me crewmate's rudeness, me and the crew heard about yer lil' poison problem, an' we have decided to do someting 'bout it, can ye kindly let us in?"
Tannak's thoughts, were a bit lighter.
Man this desert is hot, I remember Sharkside- nice and cool, smell of the sea, place was filled with jerks and evil peoples but it was nice there. I remember me and Sani filching those con men outta their money and giving it to all those smiling faces, we made a lot of people happy that day. Hopefully if we can solve whatever behind this plague, me and the crew can make even more people happy methinks.
Tannak had always referred to their group as "the crew" from where he was from, any kind team was called a crew, Sani and him was a crew, a bunch of con men was a crew just like a bunch of pirates were a crew, this group of warforged, hobgoblin, goblin, dwarf, and orc, was also a crew- just in the desert.
He leaned on the wall, smiling lopsidedly at Paik, taking the situation with a pinch of optimism to help himself through.

Anansi33
2010-08-01, 09:14 PM
Darrak Salketill, stout dwarf, all around ladies man, and for right now, a lowly caravan guard, sits on the back of the last carriage, feet dangling over the sand. Taking a drink of ale from one his waterskins, he glances back to the front of the caravan by the gates. "What's takin' so long," he grumbles to no one in particular, "It's gettin' hot out here now tha we've stopped... and I don' wanna boil ta death in my armor." It's always somethin', he thinks, looking around the dunes for any possible threats. Not like we can be attacked at any moment or anythin'.

Doombringer
2010-08-02, 03:50 AM
The doors opened and stayed that way once more after the group entered. The gates were just opening for the day to allow others in. The guards looked to them as they were dressed in leather armor and little else save spears in hand with khopeshes to the sides of their waist. "Hello and welcome to the city of Aeden." They then went back to greeting the others and setting up post as the city was already coming to life.

(still waiting on two players post..)

tacocat
2010-08-02, 12:26 PM
Rune the Warforged

Rune stood close to Tal Kai, the half-orc, since they arrived at the city gates, waiting for the others who were called upon to end the city's subtle problem. The warforged was an unusual sight anywhere in the world, being that there were so few left operational, and even moreso in the desert where a machine would likey become sand-blasted and worn much more quickly. And yet with the usual silent resolve, 'she' was there.

That also made her different. The modfications made to the warforged made it appear like a heavily armored female warrior. It also took to the peculiar habit of dressing itself. While its armored plating was built straight into its form, it felt the need to cover itself, wearing a simple, white-cowled robe, necklace, and a plain harness for the hammer it carried. Even through the shroud, its runed designs showed through, glowing ever-so-slightly.

Unblinking eyes surveyed the group at hand, it was hard to tell what she was thinking, if she even did. She regarded them with a tilt of the head and a three-fingered wave.

The expresionless, masked face (http://www.magicofvenezia.com/catalog/V1s_a.jpg) turned to face Tal. "Are we ready to proceed? I am anxious to begin a search of the city before we continue with our mission."

Arq Kujos
2010-08-03, 09:10 AM
OOC: The mask. *shudder*

Tal snorted and spat on the ground. "I guess. Come on. We can't stand out here in the open. Those nut cases aren't just sitting around waiting for us."

Part of Tal felt bad for Rune. She had done nothing to him, but for some reason, she made him feel very uneasy. Still, like him, she was simply looking for her place in this world. Being woken up from centuries of slumber had to be difficult on the mind, mechanical or not.

Tal grabbed Rune by the arm and lead her down the street. "Now don't touch anything. We have even to worry about without someone screaming in panic at you."

Doombringer
2010-08-03, 10:14 AM
The city is grand the lights that show the path at night are dimmed. The mages here apparently use magic to make sure the large city is well lit for one reason or another. You see the massive temple up ahead and remeber that is the place where you are suppose to meet with the High Priest to discuss the mission you all have decided to undertake. The city is full of fountains intricately carved though everyone is keeping a wide berth from them apparently now. When you arrive at the step you see that the temple is dedicated to Ioun..it is openpavilion type in structure and several tables are covered with scrolls and ot her interesting scriptures soon a priestess dressed in a thin white robe speaks to you. "Morning...please right this way."

Lord Raziere
2010-08-03, 12:42 PM
Tannak Halftooth

The goblin looked around at the city with an observing eye as he followed the priestess
"hm, all posh an' pretty these lights are, smart actually. There's a lot of thieves out in the desert, keeping the city well lit lets ya see their faces better so you can catch em better."
He then said at his crews potential annoyed looks
"What? You know the only time I stole something was from a bandit, and I gave it back to the girl he stole it from didn't I?"
He then rolled his eyes and said "Sheesh."
When they came to the High Priest, Tannak said
"Greetings yer Holiness, Nice meeting ya. How might we help ya with yer poison problem eh?"

Doombringer
2010-08-05, 12:49 PM
The priestess leads you to a man studying what appears to be a vial of water with a disheartened look upon his face. He then looks up seeing the group and its makeup.. needless to say you are not a typical group of adventurers. "Welcome to the temple of Ioun..I have heard that you are here to help us with the problem concerning the water..please come in and have a seat so we can discuss the issue."

tacocat
2010-08-07, 10:48 PM
Rune the Warforged

Much to Tal's chagrin, the warforged looks around at the temple, her footsteps echoing heavily against the stone. She strays off, eyeing the carvings along the pillars of the structure. Almost too gently for her form, she runs her fingers along the carvings.

"Beautiful...," she says, almost whistfully.

The masked face finally settles on the man. "Greetings. It is a pleasure to meet you, sir. I am also a follower of the Mother of Knowledge, for my own reasons. It is an honor to be here."

Lord Raziere
2010-08-07, 11:10 PM
"Hi, M'names Tannak Halftooth yer Holiness. What do ya know of the poison so far? I'm making the assumption that if yer calling on us that its deadly, Is it fast or slow? How strong? Painful or no? How diluted is it? Tell us all you can."
Tannak asked, scratching his chin thoughtfully. A person in his profession needed to know his poisons to survive, you never know when some guy with a poisoned dagger would get you and if you didn't know what the poison did, you didn't know what the poison was and you couldn't get a cure for it then you died.

Arq Kujos
2010-08-08, 12:09 AM
Somehow, in all the crowds, Tal and Rune had be seperated, much to his displeasure. Still, Tal made his way up to the temple to see Rune conversing with goblinoids and priests. Its going to be one of those days. Tal walked up beside Rune and frowned his usual frown. He listened to the questions of the goblinoid and sighed. "You ask a lot of questions, Halftooth. Let the priest answer one of those before you bombard him with 9 more." Tal then turned to the priest and bowed a half bow. "Names Tal Kai. A pleasure."

Anansi33
2010-08-08, 04:05 AM
Darrak softly jabs the half-orc in the leg with his elbow. "Ey, he can't help it, all gobbos are like that... at least the ones I've met," he finishes with a laugh toward Tannak. Turning to the priest, shrugging his shoulders to move around the scale plates itching his back, he says, "Must be gettin' out of hand if the churches are gettin' involved, how bad is it?"

Doombringer
2010-08-08, 10:55 AM
The priest looked to each of you and smiled as several questions came forth he tried to answer each one to his best ability before saying."The problem is that the poison is magical...and we have yet to find out who is doing such dreadful deeds..that is where you come in...for a fair price the temple is willing to hire you to find out." The priest offers you all to have a seat before saying "We are willing to offer you each two hundred gold to find out the problem..any other treasure you might find is yours." He looked to them "If you find a way to cure the poison in your deeds we are prepared to offer an extra hundred gold to each of you."

(Anansi33 think you mispelled your characters name in your last post.)

Anansi33
2010-08-08, 01:09 PM
(Yep, my mistake. :smallredface:)

"Why, that's mighty kind of ya, sir," Darrak says, "but I think I'll do this one for free, unless ya insist of course." After all, this was supposed to a vacation of sorts, and Darrak is a dwarf of his word. Besides, it might be pretty refreshing to work for a good cause than some of his more recent jobs.

tacocat
2010-08-08, 01:26 PM
Rune the Warforged

The machine eyed the priest for a moment, nodding at him. "Two-hundred gold coins sounds acceptable, perhaps even superfluous, for my needs and maintainence. But I still give my thanks."

"I am in agreement with my smaller companions. More information would be optimal..."

She noticed a look coming from Tal.

"I mean, that would be appreciated. Thanks."

Arq Kujos
2010-08-08, 01:44 PM
"Yeah, thanks." said Tal, rolling his eyes. "The money is good and all but I was wondering if you could look into something for me. A friend of mine," Tal said, looking over at Rune, "Well, of ours was last seen heading this way. He's an Eladrin who goes by the name of Thearion. Could ask around and see if he was here?" Tal decided it would be best not to mention the fact that Thearion had been kidnapped by a crazy cult or that the same cult was on a manhunt for himself and Rune. Yeah, those were things that would probably not need to be said.

Lord Raziere
2010-08-08, 02:51 PM
Tannak

"Hrm? Magical poison? Eh, not my area of expertise, I'm leaving it to Paik or Rune to figure this out, they deals with the magic, I'd be able to help ye if it was mundane but..."
Sharkside had never been a place for the magical arts- the only people there who had known anything about the arcane were those eccentric possibly crazy people who said "The dragons are singing to me" or proclaimed loudly "I am one with the storm!". They were fun at parties though.
Tal asking for the "Eladrin" friend reminded him.
"Oh, right, anyone see a tan human girl with brown hair and purple eyes who is wearing an outfit that looks like the red bandana on my head would go well with it anywhere around here? Just checkin'."

Doombringer
2010-08-10, 03:19 PM
The high priest looked to the people asking about some random people and arches a brow. "I am afraid I am confused..you are asking me if within this whole city I have seen not one but two people ? ..I will look into it." He then went on talking about the problem telling you they have traced it back to the well in the poor side of the city..the priest also tells you that the sewer system starts there and moves throughout the whole city. The offer is made for you to investigate the question is will you accept?

Arq Kujos
2010-08-10, 04:11 PM
"I know my request is a strange one, but if you could at least look into it, I'd be happy to stop whatever is making your water go bad." Tal turned to Rune. "If you got questions for the priest, ask 'em now."

Lord Raziere
2010-08-10, 07:53 PM
"The Sewers eh? Makes sense actually, where else could you distribute such massive quantities of poison? I say that we go to down to the bad side of town then start asking around about that well, who could've done it and all that. Who knows? The culprit could be closer than you think, and on the poor side of town, one could have all sorts of motivations to do it. In fact I'll be going down there now, poor side o' towns are my natural environment, this temple is fine and dandy but it makes me feel uncomfortable, too bright and clean."
Tannak started to turn around and walk out to the poor side of town.

Doombringer
2010-08-12, 10:26 AM
The poor side of town was suprisingly upkept the sewer grates were visible from the small narrowing road. The road darkens and turns left before coming to a dead end a large sewer grate is before you though it is slightly ajar as if someone or something is using it to come and go as they please.

Lord Raziere
2010-08-12, 05:47 PM
Tannak

Tannak walked quickly up to the sewer grate, looking at it.
"hmm. Someone has been using this recently. but who? The only way to find who has been doing this is to.....go in....down into the sewers...."
Tannak turned to see if his companions had followed asking with a grin
"Well, anyone in armor want to go first?"

Arq Kujos
2010-08-12, 05:51 PM
"Step back. I'll go first if you're scared." Tal stepped up and looked at the sewer. "If it smells this good up here, then down there is going to be barrels of fun." Tal huffed and pried the gate out of the way. "Here goes nothing." he said, hopping in.

Anansi33
2010-08-12, 09:51 PM
"Well, I ain't looking forward ta this," Darrak says, following Tal into the sewer.

tacocat
2010-08-12, 10:24 PM
Rune The Warforged

If the mechanized woman could smile, she would've. A tell-tale tilt of her head to the side would alert at least one of the party to her amusement as Tal lead the excursion into the sewers, followed by the dwarf. Clanking and clattering, she followed after the two.

"Truly, sewage could not be the biggest danger we shall face," Rune said in a tone that almost sounded humorous.

Lord Raziere
2010-08-13, 01:10 AM
Tannak

"Ey, I just have a bad feel about this, ok? Streets are dangerous and sewers are downright perilous, you never know mates, you never know..."
Tannak entered after Rune, stepping cautiously and keeping his eyes and ears open as he gone into the sewers.

Doombringer
2010-08-14, 12:42 PM
You fall into a puddle of water but luckiliy a solid surface is beneath your feet. You slowly let your eyes adjust to the darkness using the light dfrom the sewer grates you know a light source is going ot be needed...across the way there is a small fire with a few creatures huddled around it...you search for a way to get across but all you see is a few old planks leaning against a wall.

Arq Kujos
2010-08-18, 06:12 AM
"Someone give me a hand." Tal walked over to the boards and started to move them across the sewer way, trying to make a bridge.

tacocat
2010-08-18, 10:35 AM
Obediantly and without question, Rune stepped over beside Tal. Grabbing the boards with three fingers she helps him lay the boards down, though probably a little louder than anyone would've liked.

"Sufficient?"

Lord Raziere
2010-08-18, 11:14 PM
Tannak

Tannak tries to walk stealthily across the plank-bridge and check out who the creatures around the fire are without being seen or heard.

Stealth check:
[roll0]

Doombringer
2010-08-21, 02:49 AM
The boards are placed quietly down the creatures across the way none the wiser. Upon sneaking close you realize that they are halflngs..seeing you they have an evil smirk on their faces and ready themselves for a fight but only after slowly their form changes and you see ratmen before you...

OOC:

(Init!Please)

Arq Kujos
2010-08-21, 11:14 AM
OOC:

Initiative: [roll0]

tacocat
2010-08-21, 12:01 PM
Rune looks at the halflings, initially going to bid them greetings but then stops. The mechanical woman tilts her head and slowly readies herself as they transform before her.

Initiative: [roll0]

Anansi33
2010-08-21, 02:02 PM
"Tricky."

Initiative
[roll0]

Lord Raziere
2010-08-21, 02:51 PM
"Frack it, I knew I should've let Tal lead the way."

Initiative:
[roll0]

Doombringer
2010-08-23, 02:14 AM
The creatures look to you those daggers brandished before they readied for the attack looking to each of you and wating. The hatred in their eyes was burning deep.

Defenses and Abilities of Wererats:
31 hp
16 AC
13 Fortitude
14 Reflex
11 Will
Regneration 5

Initiative Order:
Tannak
Wererat 1
Rune
Tal
Darrak
Wererat 2
Wererat 3

Battle Map:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll51/Lane5485/OasisCityMap1.png

Lord Raziere
2010-08-23, 02:19 PM
Tannak draws his red short sword, going over to the nearest wererat he makes a slash then takes advantage of an opening and stabs him

Move Action:F0 to G-1
Standard action: Attack Wererat 3 with Sly Flourish
Attack roll:
Damage roll:[roll]1d6+7+7+2
sneak attack damage: [roll1]

Lord Raziere
2010-08-23, 02:21 PM
OOC: whoops, let me redo the damage roll:

damage roll: [roll0]

Doombringer
2010-08-24, 08:23 PM
The wererat looks to Tannak and quickly jumps into the fray..dagger slices at the goblin wildly. The wound that it has taken slowly start to heal some.

Attack Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Anansi33
2010-08-27, 09:06 PM
Darrak readies his craghammer and runs into the battle, not quite reaching any were-rat immediately though, much to his disappointment.

Move Action: Moving to F0 from F5
Standard action: Total Defense