PDA

View Full Version : Overoptimized wizard in party with a poorly built monk- spell selection?

faceroll
2010-08-01, 06:57 AM
I've got 3rd level casting and buckets of spells slots- what spells should I be using to buff the monk?

Sir Giacomo
2010-08-01, 07:06 AM
Mage armour, fly, haste, magic weapon, stat boosts, enlarge, heroism seem like a good start.

- Giacomo

Ferrin
2010-08-01, 07:07 AM
What books do you have access to? The complete series, spell compendium?

faceroll
2010-08-01, 07:12 AM
What books do you have access to? The complete series, spell compendium?

And more. PHB2 is not in the collection, but we've got just about everything else.

Sir Giacomo
2010-08-01, 07:24 AM
And more. PHB2 is not in the collection, but we've got just about everything else.

Then greater mighty wallop (I think races of dragon companion or some such, do not have rules with me right now) is what you are looking for. Combine with enlarge and the improved natural attack feat and your fellow monk pc is going to do 12d6 damage per unarmed strike. Not bad for your level.

- Giacomo

Edit: just noticed the size increase will be for large only at your level, but then the monk would still have around 4d6 per attack, rising fast as you progress

Ferrin
2010-08-01, 07:28 AM
Ah allright, blood wind might be fun, though I'm not sure if it's any good. Other then that there's Greater Mage Armor, also from the SpC.

Enlarge Person, Bull's Strength, Haste, and... *cackles* Shrink Item on a few really big shuriken which you let the monk throw. That's just the Player's Handbook, let's see...

Well, those are the ones I can find.

HunterOfJello
2010-08-01, 07:43 AM
1 spell to kill the Monk so that the player will make a better character, and the rest of the spells as whatever you like

AmberVael
2010-08-01, 07:46 AM
Then greater mighty wallop (I think races of dragon companion or some such, do not have rules with me right now)

Races of the Dragon, page 114-115.

It's a first level spell with a one minute per level duration though, so my advice is to find some way to easily quicken it, or extend its duration so you don't need to cast it every battle.

Boci
2010-08-01, 07:47 AM
Races of the Dragon, page 114-115.

It's a first level spell with a one minute per level duration though, so my advice is to find some way to easily quicken it, or extend its duration so you don't need to cast it every battle.

The 3rd level version is hour / level though.

AmberVael
2010-08-01, 07:52 AM

Ah, that's true.
Crazy adjective stacking on spells always throws me off.

faceroll
2010-08-01, 08:49 AM
Then greater mighty wallop (I think races of dragon companion or some such, do not have rules with me right now) is what you are looking for. Combine with enlarge and the improved natural attack feat and your fellow monk pc is going to do 12d6 damage per unarmed strike. Not bad for your level.

- Giacomo

Edit: just noticed the size increase will be for large only at your level, but then the monk would still have around 4d6 per attack, rising fast as you progress

Stupendous!

Wow, that's quite omgx.