PDA

View Full Version : Items for a level 1 Invoker?

Maho-Tsukai
2010-08-01, 01:04 PM
When making a character, the hardest part for me is locating the right items out of all the books, thus, I need your help. I desire a list of all items a level 1 invoker should have and can buy with his starting 100 gold. So, can anybody please lend me a hand in this?

Critical
2010-08-01, 01:12 PM
When making a character, the hardest part for me is locating the right items out of all the books, thus, I need your help. I desire a list of all items a level 1 invoker should have and can buy with his starting 100 gold. So, can anybody please lend me a hand in this?

Invoker? Evoker, perhaps?

Get a crossbow, some bolts for it, spellbook, spell component pouch, some food, waterskin, metal tongs(A&E, what wizard doesn't have it's own set of tongs?) and a lots of marbles(A&E) for what you have left.

Caphi
2010-08-01, 01:16 PM
Adventurer kit, basic armor and implement? Level 1 characters can't really go unique with gear any more than anything else in the game.

arguskos
2010-08-01, 01:17 PM
Back in the day in AD&D, a mage that specialized in Evocation was called an Invoker, for he invoked the power of evocation spells. :smallcool: /historical

EDIT: Also, in 4th Edition, there is a class called the Invoker, IIRC.

Marnath
2010-08-01, 01:19 PM
My thought was he meant invoker, as in a person who uses invocations. Warlock? They dont really need much gear do they?

wick
2010-08-01, 01:25 PM

Get a crossbow, some bolts for it, spellbook, spell component pouch, some food, watersking, metal tongs(A&E, what wizard doesn't have it's own set of tongs?) and a lots of marbles(A&E) for what you have left.

You get your 1st spell book gratis unless your 1st overall character level is not wizard (i.e. you start as a rogue and later pick up wizard, then you have to buy your own book). May i ask what the tongs are for?

Crossbow is a good choice or if you have decent strength you could uses a sling or daggers. Most mages usually use Strength as their dump stat so starting gear is usually minimal. I had a 1st level mage so weak she had to flirt with the fighter to carry her spellbook and some other gear, no joke.

You really don't need to carry a whole lot. the only must item is Spell component pouch. You may want to stock up on the expensive spell components you need. Such as, pearls for identify (which you won't have the cash for at this time but there maybe other spells that require less expensive components.)

Marnath
2010-08-01, 01:46 PM
Even the spell component pouch is not neccessary if you took Eschew Materials. Expensive components can be carried in a mundane belt pouch which is cheaper.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-08-01, 01:57 PM
Guys, it is highly likely he is talking about the 4e class, which is outright called "Invoker."

In which case, you're level 1, don't worry too much. Grab an Adventurer's Kit for your walking around needs, buy some armor, a weapon, and an implement--you don't have the money for anything magic.

arrowhen
2010-08-01, 03:57 PM
Rope. You can never have too much rope.

Excession
2010-08-01, 05:11 PM
Obvious purchases are a Staff or Rod Implement, Chainmail, and an Adventurer's Kit. That leaves you with 40gp to spend.

Dragon 373 had a range of mundane gear that makes a nice addition to level 1 gear. The Eberron Player's Guide added a few more. What is useful to you depends on the skills you've trained.

For example an Inquisitive's Kit adds a +2 to Perception checks to search an area for 40gp. You have the Wis for it, but Perception isn't an Invoker class skill so that might be someone else's "job" in the party.

You could pool your excess gold to buy the defender or a mobile striker a healing potion (50gp) for emergencies. Depending on where you're adventuring extra food might be useful. You could just keep the extra gold as gold, and buy something after you next get some cash loot, though the way 4e's treasure parcels work devalues savings pretty quickly.