PDA

View Full Version : 3:10 to Wroat [IC]

Chambers
2010-08-01, 02:46 PM
3:10 to Wroat
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162578)

Zilspar, Breland
The Dusty Road Inn
Late Afternoon

The hot sun bakes the ground outside, but inside the Dusty Road Inn there's shade and cool ale. The long mirror set behind the bar reflects the motley group of people taking refuge in Zilspar only tavern. Large and spacious, it seems even more so because of the lack of current occupants. Only a handful of travelers are here, all taking their rest from the scorching sun. The bartender, a raven haired beauty named Clara, leans agains the far end of the bar, hands idly fanning a deck of cards and making them disappear then appear again. No one's in the mood today for three dragon ante, and the only sound beside your own creaking chair is the slow ticking of a clock on the wall, it's tick...tock...tick seeming to match your heartbeat.

It's the middle of summer and with no winds to carry in the sea breeze Zilspar is a dead town.

As you empty your drink and debate whether you should order another or try and grab some sack time upstairs you hear boots thudding on the wooden floorboards outside. The saloon's door is flung open and two serious looking men stride in, swords and wands drawn. They're covered in trail dirt and wear the Dark Lanterns badge on their chest. Clara does a double-take and nearly drops the cards, standing up. The men sweep their eyes over you then check out the other patrons, not stopping to stare as they walk into the tavern. Clara walks over. "What the hell are you all so jumpy about?" She asks one of the Dark Lanterns. He looks at her for a second and then back to the other man. He gives the saloon one more once over and heads back out the door, letting it swing back and forth in their wake.

The remaining Dark Lantern turns back to Carla. "We caught Kin Fade." Clara gasps and drops her cards. As they spill out on to the floor your mind reels with the news. Kin Fade. The infamous wanted articifer, leader of the Silver Grips outlaws. They've terrorized Breland and Zilargo for years, hiding out in the Kings Forest.

Thuds on the floordboards outside tell you the men are coming back and all eyes turn towards the door as it swings open. In walks Kin Fade, hands bound and clamped with silver manacles in front of him. Two Dark Lanterns walk behind him, wands pointing at his back, their dark red cloaks hanging limp against their backs. Fade smiles at everyone in the saloon and walks over to the bar. "Afternoon, ma'am." He says to Carla, slowly lifting up his hands to take off his wide-brim hat. He nods his head, and slowly places the hat back on his head before leaning up against a stool. The two Dark Lanterns keep him covered with their wands while the third turns back face the patrons. "Good afternoon, folks." He says. "I'm Captain Holstat, kings service." He smiles. "How would y'all like to earn some gold?"

balistafreak
2010-08-01, 03:04 PM
Celes

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs9/300W/i/2006/062/3/6/Medieval_Archer_by_Son8of8Man.jpg

Seconds after the dramatic entrance, a head gradually slides back into view from underneath a table, its owner having thrown himself to the floor at first sign of trouble. A mop of blonde hair appears first, but it's not a face that follows it, but a solid mask, eyes shielded from view by a pair of reflective lenses.

"... Kin? Kin Fade?" A small amount of time slips by, as if he was taking it to blink repeatedly in shock and surprise. Whether or not that was actually what he was doing was a moot point, however, as he suddenly picked himself completely off of the floor, brushing his ragged attire off.

Taking a few tentative steps forward, he tilts his head curiously and makes a small movement to the side, as if circling the miscreant. "My goodness, is it really him?" A couple of sidelong glances at the Dark Lanterns tell him that it's the real deal. "... color me impressed."

At Captain Holstat's words, he immediately snaps to attention. "A job, you say? Lemme guess, it's got something to do with Sir Kin Fade here, right?" His head moves subtly from side to side, as if he's scanning the Dark Lanterns and judging them. "... ya know, this seems like a reaaaaaally thin guard for a wanted criminal. I presume that this offer of gold has something to do with that?"

josh13905
2010-08-01, 03:23 PM
At the bar sitting a man hears the entrance of the guards and out of the corner of his eye sees they're armed. A slight adjustment to his posture and his hands were now holding several small objects, then he hears the Captain, and his news of Kin Fade. Considering the job he hears Celes speak, and he spins to face the Captain standing, and then finishing his drink. "But there must be a reason there aren't more of you." He says more a statement than a question.

The man stands just inches over three feet, although that does nothing to diminish his confidence, stubble covers his chin, and his dark black hair hand just down to his neck below his own brown cowboy hat. He wears a black duster jacket over his casual clothes.

esorscher
2010-08-01, 03:40 PM
Snipe neither feared the sun nor enjoyed the shade and ale provided by the inn, but his weary joints welcomed the relatively clean air. Sitting beneath the shadows of the stairs, his eyes opened, two points of red light, at the sound of the doors opening. He's silent, watching closely as the scene opens before him. Those asking the questions are asking the same questions he'd ask, and so he keeps his metal mouth shut.

Chambers
2010-08-01, 04:21 PM
Holstat walks over to bar and slides a few coins onto the varnished top. Clara moves back and pulls a bottle down from the shelf and places it in front of him. "Y'all are a sharp bunch." He says before taking a short pull from the bottle. He grimaces and then wipes his mouth. "We set a trap for him, drew him away from his gang."

Fade's smile drops as stares at Holstat. "Any man that wouldn't track a down a rumor of his missing mother....well, I couldn't call him a person. You got me now..." He says, holding up his chained hands, "But I wouldn't count on it stayin that way."

Holstat grunts. "I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out then." Turning back to the patrons, he says "Too many guards around would have spoiled the setup. So now we've only got us three to get him to Sharn and put him on the Lightning Rail to Wroat..." He turns back to Fade. "...where he'll be brought before the king and then hung from the neck, until he dies."

"We need some extra muscle. Can't count on his gang not trying to stop us before we get there. So here's the deal. Everyone gets 10 platinum now, and the rest when we get him to Sharn."

Powerfamiliar
2010-08-01, 04:26 PM
Samuel was resting his face on a table, he'd had one drink too many. His search for the Silver Grips outlaws was going nowhere, and he was running out of money, only ale made that go away.

He doesn't even bother to look up at the commotion until he hears "Kin Fade", then his head darts up and a drunken smile forms in his face when he notices the man in chains does really appear to be Fade. He holds back his laughter, but can't hold it for long. "HAHAHA so they finally yah!" He turns to face the captain. "Screw money, promise me I'll see him hang and you've got yourself some free labor."

josh13905
2010-08-01, 04:33 PM
Ten Platinum, he must be pretty desperate. Conor looks Holstat in the eye, nods once, and extends his scarred hand to the taller man. The handshake was a ritual less often performed between his race and the tallfolk, but Sharp was the kind of guy that wanted to know who he was dealing with. "I'm your man, names, Conor Sharp, but you can call me Sharp."

esorscher
2010-08-01, 04:39 PM
"I'm in," says a dusty voice from the shadows, its owner soon appearing as the warforged leans forward, allowing his bald head to be seen. He walks over to the Captain, using a cane to support him as he walks. His left leg ends at the ankle, a shining silver cap placed over an unsightly black stump.

balistafreak
2010-08-01, 05:55 PM
Celes

With a leery eye - err, eyepiece - Celes watches the rest of the bunch ooze their way out of the tavern woodwork. Ten plats would do that to people.

Letting the halfling sharp finish his introduction, he slides into the conversation immediately afterward.

"Ya know, Captain, you're not being very subtle about this. You'd want to transport him back as discreetly as possible, and yet you make an open call to a tavern full of unsavory adventurers?"

For a moment, he throws back his head and laughs - laughs hard, clutching his sides for almost an entire minute, clogging up the conversation in the establishment with his awkwardly long bout of humor.

When it ends, though, he pulls himself up, suddenly all business. "Just like in the tales - walk into a tavern, get a small private army. Well, I think I'll come along for the ride. You got yourself a warm, breathing body to help you, mate."

Like Sharp, he offers his hand to Captain Holstat. "We can discuss details and tactics later. I'll want to hear everything about our group's capabilities as soon as possible." His eyes trace across the other approaching adventurers - a man with a scarred face, a hobbled 'forged. "It looks like we're attracting quite the crowd."

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 01:23 AM
Reukheim

A handsome brown haired man with a sharp jaw pushes in the front door. Clara! I need an ale! I hope you got your cards warmed up because I'm gonna...umm....oh...hello?

The man looks from the officer to the guards, then to the man in the manacles, then back to the officer, then to the others, then to Clara, then back to the man in the manacles, then back to Clara, then back to the others, then back to the man in manacles, then back to the officer, then back to Clara.

Hmmmm, whats going on here? I haven't seen a lynching since I left Khorvaire. I thought they did away with that in Breeland. Special occasion?

Chambers
2010-08-03, 12:56 PM
The two guards whip around and point their wands at Reukheim, faces surprised. Holstat holds his hand up, and they relax, turning back to cover Fade.

He looks at the newcomer but answers Celes question. "I work with what I got. And right now, what I got isn't much. So I'm asking ya for some help." He raises an eyebrow at Reukheim. "This ain't a lynching party, son. I am Captain Holstat, King's Service, and these are my lawfully appointed deputies." He says, nodding towards the two guards. "These citizens you see around you have agreed to accompany me and my men back to Sharn, so we can get Kin Fade here safely on the rail to Wroat." He smiles. "Then he will be judged, and hanged."

"Offers open to you as well. 10 platinum now, 90 more once he's on the train. You in?"

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 01:48 PM
Reukheim

Bowing deeply, Reukheim appologizes. My most sincere appologies. Coming in from the back, I seem to have missed seeing your badges.

Looking at the prisoner, Hmmmm, you do look familiar. Have you ever been to Aundair? I could have sworn I've seen your face on a wanted poster somewhere. Artist really did a good job capturing your eyes. Too bad they'll soon be lifeless and glassy. he finishes almost whimsically.

Back to the officer, Reukheim extends his hand, Pleasure to meet you, I'm Reukheim. Going to Wroat you say? I was just there, but who knows, it could be fun! I'll acopany you, if you'll have me. Airship passage doesn't come cheap, y'know, and I've always wanted to see the dinosaurs of the Talenta Plains.

balistafreak
2010-08-03, 11:27 PM
Celes

Celes looks interested at the mention of the Talenta Plains, his shift in posture and subtle leaning telegraphing such motives instead of turned eyes.

"Well, regardless of what we want to do afterward," although his foot shifts restlessly, "we need to solve this little prisoner problem first. So, Captain, what's the plan? Now you've got a posse, but I daresay any cover you had 's now been blown to hell and back. Gotta wagon or something?"

An awkward pause later, he turns to Kin Fade, as if embarrassed. "Sorry to discuss you like a side of meat for now... but a leader's a leader, and a job's a job."

If at all possible, Celes shifts close to him at the earliest possible opportunity to murmur, "I'd like to speak with you sometime before you hang. I need to understand how a man who still loves his mother... can turn to robbery as such. Circumstances don't seem to add up."

josh13905
2010-08-04, 08:21 AM
Sharp walks back to the bar, and sits back on his stool. "I have a steed of my own, so unless we're traveling in the air, I won't be needing assistance in the area of travel." Not a lot of wanted men, could summon a pay of thousands of gold pieces, after being caught. Its not going to be easy. Turning to the barman, "Another drink please." while sliding a gold coin across the counter.

Powerfamiliar
2010-08-04, 09:39 AM
Samuel quickly finished whatever he was drinking, and tentatively tries to stand up. He seems pleased his legs decided to hold his wieght without any major issues.

"I have a cart..." He glares at Fade in anger. "...a new cart, and a couple of horses. Will any more lawment be joining in the trip?"

Erad
2010-08-04, 10:17 AM
Karis stands up as he sees who came in. He listens closely to Captain Holstat and then says: "As a paladin, it's my duty to help you to take this criminal into custody and just punishment he deserves! I give you a vow, that I'll help you get infamous Kin Fade to Wroat! I promise to do my best in guarding him."

With those words paladin bows.

"I'll usually reject offer of money, but even paladins have to eat. The remaining money I'll donate to the poor."

Chambers
2010-08-04, 12:47 PM
Clara absently fills Connor's glass with the liquor from Holstats bottle, eyes locked onto Fade. She blinks away and stops pouring just before the shot glass overfills.

Holstat turns to Celes and says "The plan is to leave as soon as possible. We've got an armored wagon round the side, next to your horses." He shakes his head at Samuel. "Nah, we're the only law round these parts. Shouldn't need more if we hustle."

Fade raises an eyebrow at Celes. "Like you said, a job's a job. Some people get the nicer ones. Other times you gotta take what you can get." He fixes his eyes on Celes. "And even bad men can love their mother. Ain't no law against that."

The captain grunts and raises his eyebrows in surprise at Karis. "Well, ain't this a fine turn for us?" He nods at him. "Glad to have ya aboard."

josh13905
2010-08-04, 04:31 PM
Sharp finished his second glass, and nodded seriously. "Then lets saddle up." Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a pair of worn gloves, and slips them over his hands. Then he walks boots lightly tapping the ground. Eventually he comes to a stop to the ajar door, and leans all 3'1.0" of his frame against the door and taking another look at his allies.

esorscher
2010-08-04, 06:09 PM
The small warforged walks to the door, a hobbling half-step that takes some time. He emits a whistling screech, bringing a brown pony galloping to the front of the saloon. "What're you waiting for?" he says to the halfling in the doorway. "An invitation?" The warforged hops up onto the back of his horse.

Erad
2010-08-05, 09:19 AM
Karis leaves the main room of the inn and goes upstairs to his room. After a few minutes, he returns, with a long spear and backpack on his back and plate armor on him. He goes out, claps his hands and says aloud: "Come Lightning!" A moment later a heavy war horse appears out of nowhere. Karis is ready to travel.

Chambers
2010-08-05, 01:31 PM
Karis hustles down from upstairs, gear in tow. Holstat eyes him for a moment and then nods. "Allright, let's get moving." He glances at the guards and they start moving towards the door. "They'll bring the wagon up front. Don't want him exposed any longer than necessary."

Fade smiles and bows lightly to the Dark Lantern. "I appreciate the concern for my safety, Captain." He says, his mocking tone clear. Just as Holstat opens his mouth to reply the front doors explode open and fire sweeps into the tavern.

The two guards are blown back by the explosion and thrown against an empty table. They hit hard and land with a thud, clothes smoldering and bodies unmoving.

Connor and Snipe hit the deck an instant before the fireball fills the room and the fire sweeps over them, leaving both of them unscathed.

Fade chuckles but remains perfectly still. "Ya think I came to town by myself, Holstat?"

The party is up first. Please remember to post your combat stats, including your location, in a spoiler at the bottom of your post.

Map

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/bar1.png
The brown blocks are tables, the dark red L block is the bar. The solid black line above Karis is the door to the upstairs. The two solid black lines next to Connor and Snipe is the main entrance, and the solid black line at 9A is the rear exit.

josh13905
2010-08-05, 02:11 PM
Leaning against the doorway sharp hears the telltale whistle of something moving his way fast, he immediately hits the deck beside the doorway to get some cover.

His ears ringing from the explosion Sharp's mind jumps to combat mode, and he flips up from his prone position. "There a back exit to this place?" Suppose this couldn't easy if I'm getting paid this much. Noticing the dead guards Sharp weighs his options, to glances out the side of the doorway at their attackers.

Move: Stand up from Prone
Standard: If looking around the door frame doesn't eat it up then readied attack against enemy coming in door.

Character Summary:

Stats:
All From Memory, as I can't get to my sheet atm:
HP: 43/43; AC: 23, 21 Touch, 11 Flat-Footed I think...
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +12, Will +8

Keld Denar
2010-08-05, 02:27 PM
Reukheim

YEEEE HAWWWW! Gather round real quick for a buff. Connor, Karis, mind Fade!

Reukheim moves to G6 and readies an action to cast Haste when Karis moves to within 30' of him.

Conditions
Stats
HP: 36/36
AC/Touch/FF: 20/19/18
F/R/W: +4/+4/+5
Active Effects: Mage Armor

Powerfamiliar
2010-08-05, 04:30 PM
Samuel

Samuel recoils back from the explosion knocking his empty glass off the table, shattering it. He pulls out his trusty peacemaker crossbow while singing a sad song in honor of the broken glass.

Move action: Draw crossbow
Standard action: Inspire courage
Swift Action: Use one charge from the badge of valor to give inspire courage an extra +1

Everyone gets +3 to hit/damage and saves vs fear.

Stats:
HP: 38/38, AC: 21, Flat 15, Touch 16
Saves: Fort +4, Reflex +9, Will +5
Active Effects: Inspire Courage (+3)

balistafreak
2010-08-05, 05:06 PM
Celes

Flinching away from the blast, Celes peers around his hand to see the two guards motionless on the floor.

"Oh for heaven's sake, that's just embarrassing. Holstat, get over here, I need to move."

If Holstat can take over keeping Kin Fade down, Kyr bounds onto the table next to Reukheim, whipping out a bow from extradimensional space in the process. (Move, Draw Weapon.)

"Sharp! Snipe! Pull back from the door and get over here! Lemme get some boosts on ya, and let's pull out from the back and get to the armored wagon and your mounts!" Waving his hand in the air, he murmurs a few trite words of "good luck out there", or something like that. Despite the lack of ceremony, it certainly feels like certain someones are watching out for them. (Cast Interfaith Blessing, Relevant Immediate Action.)

Round Summary:
Move, Draw Weapon: Celes moves from D6 to I6 as a move action, drawing his bow in the process.
Cast Interfaith Blessing: Celes readies a casting of Interfaith Blessing, a 20-foot burst radius around him, once everyone gathers into range. You've already picked your buffs from the OOC thread. Duration is 5 minutes (50 rounds).
Relevant Immediate Action: Should any attack rolls be made against party members, Celes activates Protection Devotion as an immediate action, providing a +3 sacred bonus to AC in a 30-foot radius around him. Duration is 1 minute (10 rounds).
Character Summary:
Stats:
HP: 48/48; AC: 20, 12 Touch, 18 Flat-Footed
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +10
Active Effects: Inspire Courage: Celes can hear Samuel sing, giving him +3 morale to attacks and damage. Duration: Ongoing.
Interfaith Blessing: Celes has +2 untyped to attacks. Duration: 50 rounds.
Position: D6 I6.
Spells Prepared:
0th Level
Detect Magic
Create Water
Light
1st Level
Shield of Faith
Omen of Peril
Ebon Eyes
Sign
Expeditious Retreat
2nd Level
Lore of the Gods
Close Wounds
Interfaith Blessing
Cat's Grace
3rd Level
Magic Circle Against Evil
Resurgence, Mass
Haste

Erad
2010-08-06, 06:03 AM
Karis covers from the blast. When he opens his eyes again and sees the picture, he gasps in horror.

- Stop this criminal from getting away! - yells he.

Then he jumps on the table bar and runs towards the back entrance, wishing to block the escape route for Fade. While running he takes the spear from his back, ready to strike.

Ready weapon and move as close to A9 as possible, while running atop of bar table.

AC 21
Speed 20
Total attack: +9/+4
HP 40
Longspear flaming +1: 1d8+1d6
Anything else needed?

esorscher
2010-08-06, 08:50 AM
Snipe looks around wildly for the source of the fireball, readying to hit him with an eldritch blast if he spots him.

I'll be gone this weekend, my posts will be bare-bones.

Spot: [roll0]
Eldritch Blast (v touch): [roll1], [roll2]

If Interfaith Blessing is in effect, +1 to attack.

Chambers
2010-08-06, 12:47 PM
Holstat turns to Fade and says through clenched teeth. "Their deaths are on your hands, Fade." Grabbing the outlaw by the manacles he hustles down the bar, slamming Fade against the wall. Fade merely grunts as he impacts with the wall, but offers no resistance and wears a thin smile on his face. Clara shrieks and drops prone behind the bar.

Moving next to the fallen guards, Celes is able to see with a quick glance that they're not moving. Their eyes are open but lifeless and their skin and clothes still smolder.

Connor and Snipe spot a figure rise up above the roof of the south corner of the general store and fly into the air. Snipe fires a blast of eldritch energy, scoring a hit on the flier. The man cries out in pain but keeps flying, dark colored robes flapping in the wind as he soars out of sight around the south corner of the tavern. Moments later a melodious voice can be heard from that direction and the back wall of the tavern starts smoking. Flames lick through the back door and begin to eat at the wooden door and entire back wall.

Map

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/bar2.png
Ignore the black box on the map at S6.

josh13905
2010-08-06, 01:04 PM
Connor swears loudly as the enemy flies out of sight, and he flies around the door. "I'll try and distract him." He moves around the door frame, and grasps at the saloon's wall to try and climb to the roof, in order to see if he can get a shot.

Map's not working,
Move: Exiting through front, and starting climb building,
Standard: Continuing Climb if needed, If he gets there in the first action, then attack with Shuriken, +5 BAB, 6 Dex, 2 Weap Foc, 1 Belt, 1 Small, 1 Halfling, 1 Haste, 2 Interfaith
+19, 1d2+15 Range increment 40 Ft.

40ft move with Haste,

Powerfamiliar
2010-08-06, 06:02 PM
Samuel

Samuel continues singing, though he changes the lyrics a little. "...♪ Miss bartender should exit through the front door...♫.." He readies his crossbow to shoot at anyone entering through the back door or wall, all the while slowly moving towards the front door.

Move action: Move to N-5
Standard action: Readying shot.
Shot:[roll0] (+3 from inspire courage, +2 from interfaith blessing)
Damage: [roll1] (+3 from inspire courage)

Stats:
HP: 38/38, AC: 21, Flat 15, Touch 16
Saves: Fort +4, Reflex +9, Will +5
Active Effects: Inspire Courage (+3), interfaith blessing (+2 to hit)

balistafreak
2010-08-06, 08:39 PM
Celes

Celes recognizes the words and motions of the mage outside. "Oh bloody - the back wall of the saloon has had a magic fire cast on it! This place is burning, and there's a mage better than any of us outside! Stay on guard!"

"Karis, Holstat, time to go! I'll take point! Now, the lethal hit locations on a humanoid are roughly located at..." (Knowledge Devotion.)

Rushing out of the building, Celes bounds stupidly fast out of the front door, bow already raised in anticipation of another target. (Move.) His footwork is immaculate, ready to zoom him into cover at the first sign of trouble. (Relevant Immediate Action.)

Round Summary:
Knowledge Devotion: As a non-action, Celes makes his Knowledge Devotion check. Seeing as the foes appear to be humanoids, the relevant skill is Knowledge (local), to which Celes has +12. He got a 30, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9093657&postcount=84) giving him +3 insight to attack and damage.

Move: Celes uses 13 tiles of movement to get from N7 to W11-12, as a move action, as needed to get to cover. Should there be ranged-attack capable enemies that can ignore Celes' cover at W11-12, Celes simply runs farther south for a more complete recon. This won't place him dangerously in the open, since he'll be using Travel Devotion to retreat into the (admittedly on fire) saloon.

Relevant Immediate Action: Should any attack rolls be made against party members, Celes activates Protection Devotion as an immediate action, providing a +3 sacred bonus to AC in a 30-foot radius around him. (The attack will be made against their new AC.) Duration is 1 minute (10 rounds). Note that this does not interfere with Travel Devotion, as an immediate action uses next turn's swift action.

Celes has yet to take his standard action.
Character Summary:
Stats:
HP: 48/48; AC: 20 21, 12 13 Touch, 18 Flat-Footed
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +2 +3, Will +10
Active Effects: Haste: Celes has been hasted, for +1 untyped to attacks, +1 dodge AC, +1 dodge to Reflex saves, and +30 feet enhancement. Duration: 6 rounds.
Inspire Courage: Celes can hear Samuel sing, giving him +3 morale to attacks and damage. Duration: Ongoing.
Interfaith Blessing: Celes has +2 untyped to attacks. Duration: 49 rounds.
Knowledge Devotion: Celes has +3 insight to attacks and damage against humanoids. Duration: Rest of encounter.
Position: N7 W12.

Spells Prepared:
0th Level
Detect Magic
Create Water
Light
1st Level
Shield of Faith
Omen of Peril
Ebon Eyes
Sign
Expeditious Retreat
2nd Level
Lore of the Gods
Close Wounds
Interfaith Blessing
Cat's Grace
3rd Level
Resurgence, Mass
Haste

balistafreak
2010-08-06, 08:59 PM
Seeing the mage flying high in the sky, Celes smiles grimly. "I have sight to the mage, he's flying in the air down south!" he calls out, pointing. "Firing!"

True to his word, an arrow streaks toward the mage half a second later. (Attack.)

Round Summary:
Attack: Celes shoots his bow at the high-flying mage in K17. I don't think the mage is more than 110 feet away, so no range penalties.

Attack Roll: [roll0]. Celes has +10 to hit base, with +9 to hit in buffs.
Damage Roll: [roll1] damage. 1 of this is acid, the rest piercing. +6 of this is from buffs. In addition, the Precision Strike ability adds an additional 1d8 damage, as I presume this mage has a "discernable anatomy".
Precision Strike Damage: [roll2] additional piercing damage.

Battle Mastery: The attack has hit, so Celes will have +1 dodge AC and +1 morale to saves for the rest of the encounter.
Character Summary:
Stats:
HP: 48/48; AC: 21 22, 13 14 Touch, 18 Flat-Footed
Saves: Fort +8 +9, Ref +3 +4, Will +10 +11
Active Effects: Haste: Celes has been hasted, for +1 untyped to attacks, +1 dodge AC, +1 dodge to Reflex saves, and +30 feet enhancement. Duration: 6 rounds.
Inspire Courage: Celes can hear Samuel sing, giving him +3 morale to attacks and damage. Duration: Ongoing.
Interfaith Blessing: Celes has +2 untyped to attacks. Duration: 49 rounds.
Knowledge Devotion: Celes has +3 insight to attacks and damage against humanoids. Duration: Rest of encounter.
Position: N7 W12.

Spells Prepared:
0th Level
Detect Magic
Create Water
Light
1st Level
Shield of Faith
Omen of Peril
Ebon Eyes
Sign
Expeditious Retreat
2nd Level
Lore of the Gods
Close Wounds
Interfaith Blessing
Cat's Grace
3rd Level
Resurgence, Mass
Haste

esorscher
2010-08-07, 01:14 PM
Snipe hobbles feebly out the door, rushing toward the stable.

Double Move action to S9

Keld Denar
2010-08-07, 02:20 PM
Reukheim

Dashing out the front door, Reukheim moves to the edge of the building. Seeing the flying mage there, he casts a simple invocation. That done, he calls out to the temple: Fire at the tavern! Bring buckets! Bring water!

Single move to T12, thanks to Haste, and then cast Fell Draining Sonic Snap (1st level spell). No save, 1 damage plus 1 negative level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#energyDrained). Don't forget to knock off 1 of his highest castable spell slots, chosen at random.

Conditions
Stats
HP: 36/36
AC/Touch/FF: 22/21/19
F/R/W: +5/+6/+6
Active Effects: Mage Armor, Haste, Interfaith Blessing
Spell Slots remaining: 0th:6 1st:7 2nd:6 3rd:3

Erad
2010-08-08, 09:11 AM
Karis assembles all his courage. Yes, the nearby wall is burning, but he can't move, not now! If he moves now, notorious criminal will escape! So, Karis moves moves his spear back a little, for the momentum and... stops. Executing the criminal now is not his business, he must stand a legal trial. At the last moment Karis turns his spear and uses it as a quarterstaff, only to knock Fade unconcious.

AC 21
Speed 20
HP 40

Chambers
2010-08-10, 01:37 PM
Round 3

Fade grunts as the side of the spear whacks him. Holstat stares at Karis in disbelief before grabbing Fade and shielding him with his body. "Dammit, son! I got him under control, let's get the hell out of here!" Holstat pushes Fade in front of him and rushes toward the front of the bar, crouching next to the door.

Clara scrambles over the bar top, holding a dusty bottle she grabbed from underneath. She runs for the front door but is knocked to the ground by falling timber and cinders as the back wall buckles and wavers from the intense heat. It finally incinerates in a loud boom and intense heat fills the tavern from the wall of fire that covers the entire back of the tavern. With it's support gone, part of the ceiling cracks and falls on the bar, spilling plaster and peices of burning wood.

Without the wall to hold it back the heat from the fire pours into the room, burning Karis. The bar begins to smolder as well from the heat.

The mage laughs at Reukheims pitiful spell but cries out in pain as it hits him. He points a finger a space beyond Reukheim and says "Burn!" A bead of energy hurls itself towards the ground and explodes in a ball of fire, scorching the dirt street. With a smile he flies off behind the burning tavern.

A woman dressed in a blue robe runs out of the temple just as the fireball hits. She flinches back and then stares at the burning tavern. "Host protect me." She whispers and a light yellow glow covers her hand. Touching her forehead the mellow glow transfer to her head and expands to cover her whole body. "Is there anyone still inside?" She says as she hustles up to the tavern.

Reukheim takes 13 fire damage.
Celes and Connor take 27 fire damage.
Snipe saves and takes no damage.

Karis takes 2 fire damage and his square is counted as difficult terrain.

Map

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/bar3.png

Keld Denar
2010-08-10, 01:44 PM
Reukheim

I'm ok. There are still a couple inside, adventurers and a couple innocents. Try to help them, I'm gonna try to follow the arsonist.

Move west along the south end of the building until the mage comes into view again. Hit him with a Fell Draining Magic Missile (2nd level slot).
3d4+3 plus 1 negative level, no save.

Conditions
Stats
HP: 23/36
AC/Touch/FF: 22/21/19
F/R/W: +5/+6/+6
Active Effects: Mage Armor, Haste, Interfaith Blessing
Spell Slots remaining: 0th:6 1st:7 2nd:5 3rd:3

Erad
2010-08-10, 01:58 PM
Karis is silent, he tries to save his own life. As fast as he can, he puts his weapon on his back and moves through the burning debris towards the center of the bar, as far as possible from fire. On his way he sees wounded barmaid, gasps and rushes to help her.

Move as close to Clara as possible, if still can move drag here towards R7.

AC 21
Speed 20
HP 40
HP 38
F/R/W: 6/3/5

josh13905
2010-08-10, 04:39 PM
Conor remains standing blistered and burnt, and smoke coming off his duster coat. Bloodied and coughing, he waits to sight on the enemy, and then takes a step closer to his target when in sight, and seemingly from nowhere begins throwing tiny metal shuriken from his hands, fast as a blur. The four metal object fly dangerously seeking to right the wrongs of the mage.

Full-Round Action: Full Attack Hovering Mage
5-Foot step closer if it will negate range penalties.

Full Attack:
+12/+12/+12/+12
+2 Interfaith, +1 haste, +3 Inspire
+18 total

Attacks and DamageAttack1[roll0]
DMG1[roll1]
Attk2[roll2]
Dmg2[roll3]
Attk3[roll4]
Dmg3[roll5]
Attk4[roll6]
Dmg4[roll7]

Note: +1 Attack and Damage if withing 30 ft, Range increment 40, please adjust for penalties if applied.

Stats
HP: 17/44
AC/Touch/FF: 24/23/14
F/R/W: +10/+13/+9
Active Effects: Haste, Interfaith Blessing +2 Attack, Inspire courage +3 Attack/damage

esorscher
2010-08-10, 04:47 PM
With grace unrecognizable from his disability, Snipe avoids the fireball and continues to race toward his horse. "Easy, Silver."

Double move to whichever stable his horse is in. Hasted

balistafreak
2010-08-10, 08:32 PM
Celes

The masked man stands for a moment, silhouetted in the flames. He screams in pain, an eerie sight without a visible mouth.

His response is to streak out of the fireball, speed so great the flames on his clothes extinguish. (Travel Devotion.) "Bloody hells, that hurt! I'll get you - "

Wheeling around the corner in record time, he spots the mage behind the tavern and looses a volley before one can say "pincushion". (Full Attack.)

Round Summary:
Travel Devotion: Celes activates Travel Devotion. As a swift action, he can travel his base land speed, which he does, moving 14 tiles from W12 to N19, just barely giving him a shot to the mage in A7. The building would be giving the mage cover, if not for Celes' Goggles of Foefinding.
Full Attack: As a full-round action, Celes shoots three shots, for great justice. Celes has +10 to hit base, with +9 to hit in buffs, -2 for Rapid Shot. The shot is >22 tiles (110 feet) away (upward distance counts for something, I suppose) so that's another -2 distance penalty. I presume I can still hear Samuel singing.

Attack Rolls: [roll0].
[roll1].
[roll2].
Damage Rolls: [roll3].
[roll4].
[roll5].
Critical Confirm Rolls: [roll6].
[roll7].
[roll8].
Additional Critical Damage Rolls: [roll9].
[roll10].
[roll11].
Whoops: Bows are x3 critical, not x2. Rerolling in OOC thread, here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9118095&postcount=137) Rolled 27 additional damage.

Relevant Immediate Action: Should any attack rolls be made against party members within a 30-foot radius (including Celes himself) Celes activates Protection Devotion as an immediate action, providing a +3 sacred bonus to AC in a 30-foot radius around him. (The attack will be made against their new AC.) Duration is 1 minute (10 rounds). Note that this does not interfere with Travel Devotion, as an immediate action uses next turn's swift action.
Character Summary:
Stats:
HP: 48/48 21/48; AC: 22, 14 Touch, 18 Flat-Footed
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +11
Active Effects: Haste: Celes has been hasted, for +1 untyped to attacks, +1 dodge AC, +1 dodge to Reflex saves, and +30 feet enhancement. Duration: 5 rounds.
Interfaith Blessing: Celes has +2 untyped to attacks. Duration: 48 rounds.
Travel Devotion: Celes can move his base land speed as a swift action. Duration: 10 rounds.
Position: W12 N19.

Spells Prepared:
0th Level
Detect Magic
Create Water
Light
1st Level
Shield of Faith
Omen of Peril
Ebon Eyes
Sign
Expeditious Retreat
2nd Level
Lore of the Gods
Close Wounds
Interfaith Blessing
Cat's Grace
3rd Level
Resurgence, Mass
Haste

Chambers
2010-08-11, 01:26 PM
Round 4

Reukheim's magic missile strikes true and the mage is rocked back by the blast. As he falls to the ground unconscious Celes hits his floating body with two arrows, the second piercing the mages throat. By the time he hits the blood-spattered ground his body lays there lifeless, unmoving.

With the assistance of Karis Clara gets up from the ground. "Thank you, sir! I'm going to kill that bastard for burning my bar!" She says, staring at Fade as Holstat grabs him and the pair run out of the bar.

In the street Holstat pushes Fade towards the stables. "Any more tricks for us, Fade?" Holstat grins as he hears the death screams of the mage. Fade looks at Reukheim and Celes for a moment before replying. "You never know what could happen out on the trail..."

Inside the stables Snipe sees the horses panicking, bucking up and trying to escape their hobbles. The smell of the fire is strong in here and it would only take a few sparks to set the hay aflame.

The woman from the temple rushes over to Clara. "Clara! Is there anyone still in there?" She glances up at the tavern. About half of the inn is completely covered in flames, and the intense heat can be felt out in the street.

esorscher
2010-08-11, 01:35 PM
Snipe lets the horses free from the stables, starting with his own. "Easy, easy." he says, worried, trying clumsily to calm the beasts.

Handle Animal: [roll0]

Keld Denar
2010-08-11, 01:42 PM
Reukheim

Rushing forward to the fallen mage, Reukheim grabs him by the collar and starts dragging the body back around to the front of the inn toward the temple. Maybe someone can ID him?

balistafreak
2010-08-11, 03:07 PM
Celes

Not at all amused by the situation, Celes remains standing, bouncing on his heels a little bit as he pulls back an arrow, searching for another target.

"Surely there's not just one of them!" he calls out. "A mage with that capability suicides himself against us? That's hardly an efficient use of resources, and I don't think Fade's crew is that stupid - or desperate."

"I'll keep you covered! Clear out the bar! ... and get those guards' bodies out, if you can," he adds, expression unreadable.

Round Summary:
Ready Attack: Should any obviously armed, dangerous, and hostile foe appear, Celes will ventilate him with an arrow.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Critical Confirm: [roll2]
Additional Critical Damage: [roll3]
Precision Strike Damage: [roll4]

Relevant Immediate Action: Should any attack rolls be made against party members within a 30-foot radius (including Celes himself) Celes activates Protection Devotion as an immediate action, providing a +3 sacred bonus to AC in a 30-foot radius around him. (The attack will be made against their new AC.) Duration is 1 minute (10 rounds).
Character Summary:
Stats:
HP: 21/48; AC: 22, 14 Touch, 18 Flat-Footed
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +11
Active Effects: Haste: Celes has been hasted, for +1 untyped to attacks, +1 dodge AC, +1 dodge to Reflex saves, and +30 feet enhancement. Duration: 4 rounds.
Interfaith Blessing: Celes has +2 untyped to attacks. Duration: 47 rounds.
Travel Devotion: Celes can move his base land speed as a swift action. Duration: 9 rounds.
Position: N19.

Spells Prepared:
0th Level
Detect Magic
Create Water
Light
1st Level
Shield of Faith
Omen of Peril
Ebon Eyes
Sign
Expeditious Retreat
2nd Level
Lore of the Gods
Close Wounds
Interfaith Blessing
Cat's Grace
3rd Level
Resurgence, Mass
Haste

Erad
2010-08-12, 08:52 AM
Now, when both him and Clara are safe, Karis immediately returns to his prime concern - to Fade.

- People died there because of you, infamous murderer! Do you value your safety so high that you are ready to walk on corpses to freedom? Have at least honor not to drag others to grave with yourself!

Now tell me how many of others are waiting for your signal! I am a paladin and I can sense lies and partial truth, so you better not hide anything! And if you do - don't be sceptical - I'll make you pay for that. You already tasted my spear - it burns to the touch. I can burn your hair just by putting my weapon on it, and no one will stop me.

Karis won't ever torture someone, but he really wants Fade to believe that he will. He eyes the criminal, trying to see the truth by his eyes and body language.

Not sure what to roll, so:

Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]
Intimidate: [roll2]
Gather Information: [roll3]
Sense Motive: [roll4]

Natural 20 on Intimidate!

josh13905
2010-08-12, 11:01 AM
Patting the flames off his body, Sharp runs back to the others in the front of the tavern. "I saw not anyone else, though I may have missed them."

Double Move to Front of Tavern.

Powerfamiliar
2010-08-12, 12:55 PM
Samuel

"♫ Run run from the burning building ♪" Samuel hurries to exit the building and heads to check on his horses and wagon.

Once outside Samuel stops singing, and heads towards Fade. "You're not escaping boy, one way or another in a few days you aint gonna be breathing anymore."

I should be back home saturday, and back to a regular PC and my books.

Chambers
2010-08-29, 05:06 PM
Clara and the priest stand back across the street as the front of the inn collapses into the fire. The inn is now a huge furnace and the heat is intense, making an already hot day even worse.

Inside the stable the small warforged manages to free his horse before it crushes him in it's wild frenzy. Before he can free the other horses the tavern wall of the stable bursts into flames. The already frightened horses panic and increase their efforts to free themselves. Fortunately the collapse of the wall also freed the bar the horses were tied to and they burst out of the stable, dragging flaming pieces of wood behind them.

Reukheim drags the dead mage back to the temple, one hand rifling through his pockets. Aside from a small pouch that Reukheim instantly recognizes as containing standard spell components, he notices a dull bronze ring on the mages left hand. An inside pocket on the robe reveals to be deeper than it appears and Reukheim pulls out a trio of scrolls, each wrapped with a different color of thread each, red, blue, and yellow.

Holstat takes Fade over to the alley where Celes fired from and crouches in the shadow. He opens his mouth but shuts it again when Karis threatens Fade, raising an eyebrow at Karis and then turning to Fade. "Well...how 'bout it?"

Fade smirks at Holstat but his smile fades as he sees Reukheim drag the mage over. He stares at the dead mage for a moment before looking up to Reukheim. He nods once, then looks at Karis.

"I wouldn't be taken anyone to the grave if this'n didn't want to kill me." He says, nodding towards Holstat. "And I've already killed more people than you've met in your life boy. What's a few more?"

"As for the others...I honestly can't say." He shrugs and smiles. "I've got no signal, Jerlain acted on his own. More the fool him. Look what it got him."

Karis

It feels like the statements Fade made are true and not lies.

Keld Denar
2010-08-29, 09:54 PM
Reukheim

Any other surprises you'd like to tell us about? Or should we just wait till we kill them too? I'm ok with it either way. Reukheim ends the sentance with a spit on Fade.

Erad
2010-08-30, 07:11 AM
- Before we start our way, - said Karis, - We must somehow deal with Fade, to make sure he won't cause us problems. I say we drug him or force to get drunk and keep him in that condition all the way to the capital. If he will be oblivious to the world, he won't cause us problems. And even if his another ally will attack, he won't be in condition to run away.

josh13905
2010-08-30, 07:14 AM
Sharp walks back to everyone, and spits blood at the dusty ground,

"Shoot, that hurt." The burns on his body pain him as he moves, but he ignores it for now.

"So what's the next plan Holstat?"

Chambers
2010-08-31, 08:42 PM
Fade slowly raises his manacled hands and wipes the spit off his face. He locks stares with Reukheim. "I'd have forgiven you for Jerlain...he was trying to kill you. Fair enough you fight back. But this...this I'll remember."

Holstat keeps a hand on Fade's shoulder as the captain glances around, looking for signs of trouble. The burning inn has settled into a roaring blaze now, flames reaching high into the sky, turning into thick black clouds of smoke. "Well, if he don't have anyone else here now, they sure as hell will see that from wherever they are." He nods to you all and stands up, pulling Fade with him. "Time to get movin'." He nods to the horses that Snipe has managed to lead out of the stable. They ran out but once clear have settled down and are at the soutern end of the temple.

As he leads Fade over to the horses and wagons Holstat answers Karis. "He can't do anything now except punch, kick, and bite. Those manacles shut down his ability to make magic, less I say so." He pauses a moment. "We could get him drunk, but that'd probably make him more ornery and harder to handle. And it be a damn waste of whiskey."

Clara, all but forgotten standing outside her ruined tavern suddenly screams in rage and runs down the street towards Fade, waving the dark bottle in one hand. "I'm gonna kill you Fade!" She screams. Holstat steps in front of Fade, trying to keep himself in between her and the captive.

Keld Denar
2010-09-01, 01:26 AM
Reukheim

Ma'am, with all due respect, I do believe you might have to get in line. Seems a lot of folks want our new "friend" here dead. You'll get your wish soon enough.

Would you like me to bring his ear back as proof? Reukheim adds with an impish grin.

Erad
2010-09-01, 04:57 AM
- You won't kill any more people, Fade, - says Karis, - your days are already counted. You may enjoy the rest of your life, or you may suffer. It will depend on how you will behave. We can make you sorry for whatever you do. Remember my words, fiend.

He turns to Holstat.

- Then don't feed him while we are on our way and force him to run after us all the time, don't give him a horse, tie him behind one.

Karis stands at some distance from others and claps his hands.

A warhorse fully equipped appears. Karis sits in a saddle and says "Let's ride, Lightning!".

OOC: Yes I know that I must play Lawful Good. But I think anything except those measures will be already Lawful Stupid. Like trying to redeem him for example.

josh13905
2010-09-01, 06:44 AM
Sharp saddles up on his own smaller mount, the warpony casually sweeps its eyes over the rest of the people.

"I think death is punishment enough, there's no point in tiring him out, they'll want him fresh for the execution. Now if we didn't have another mode of transportation, maybe he should walk, but while we've got a carriage he might as well ride. Besides it would slow us down, and I don't want that."

esorscher
2010-09-01, 09:35 AM
Snipe is silent as he rides over on his own mount. Listening to the rest of the conversation, he says, "We could use the carriage as a decoy. Send it off in the opposite direction. Maybe his gang will chase after it, and by the time they figure it out, we'll have a commanding lead."

Chambers
2010-09-06, 12:32 PM
Clara lets herself be stopped by Holstat. She glares at Fade then turns to Reukheim. "Allright then." She grins. "Bring me an ear."

Holstat releases a sigh and says "Allright, let's get moving. Anyone who doesn't have a horse can ride with me. Fade, you're shotgun. Not letting you out of my sight. Get up there." He says, and Fade awkwardly clambers up the coach and sits on the bench.

Holstat turns to Clara before climbing up. "I can't promise anything, but I'll talk to some people and see what we can do about your tavern." He says, nodding towards the pile of burning wood that used to be the tavern.

"Reukheim, you holding on to him for sentimental reasons?" He says with a smirk, pointing to the body of the dead mage.

Celes hops up onto the riding board of the coach and peeks inside. "Nice digs, Captain." He pats the outside as well. "Reinforced walls. Those should hold up well against any unforeseen unfortunate incidents."

By my count Reukheim and Celes don't have mounts. Both of them can ride in the coach, as it seats four inside. Or they could ride on top, on the luggage rack. Might be a bumpy ride though.

esorscher
2010-09-06, 01:49 PM
Snipe takes up a position at the back of the party.

josh13905
2010-09-06, 08:22 PM
Sharp mounts his warpony, and nods to Holstat, WE have to get moving before Fade's other men catch up.

Erad
2010-09-07, 11:55 AM
Karis is ready to ride and follow Holstat orders.

Keld Denar
2010-09-07, 05:16 PM
Reukheim

Looking at Holstat, Reukheim asks: What did the wands do? I'm a bit of a magic user myself. As much as I lament the loss of your guards, they might be best in the hands of a competant user until we get back to Wroat.

After asking, Reukheim climbs up on the coach, keeping his wary eyes on Fade.