PDA

View Full Version : Stats for Riddick's Saber Claws

Andion Isurand
2010-08-01, 03:16 PM
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6072/21ydypllwl.jpg

What stats would you give these?

Hyooz
2010-08-01, 03:18 PM
I'd just call them daggers. They didn't seem to do anything other than stab, so... yeah.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-01, 03:19 PM
They do have a protected grip, which would help against disarm attempts.

arguskos
2010-08-01, 03:27 PM
Personally, I'd give them just dagger stats, but if you want to give them unique stats, let's roll with the following:

Saber Claw
Type: light one-handed martial weapon
Damage: 1d4 slashing
Critical: x3
Special: +2 to resist disarms, +2 on attacks made due to the Cleave or Great Cleave feats

They sliced well, were likely very hard to disarm, but such a blade won't do that much damage compared to say, a battleaxe, or even a short sword.

Machiavellian
2010-08-01, 03:37 PM
1. They are called "Uklaks." They were named in Dark Athena
2. I'd say 1d6 with a 19-20 x3 crit
3. They are a special kind of "punching dagger" that are more defensive

Mathis
2010-08-01, 04:41 PM
1. They are called "Uklaks." They were named in Dark Athena
2. I'd say 1d6 with a 19-20 x3 crit
3. They are a special kind of "punching dagger" that are more defensive

No way those puny things would do as much damage as a handaxe and have a higher crit range. You have put them on the same damage scale as Rapiers and Scimitars, weapons that are realistically way deadlier. The reason for this is their cutting-edge and piercing length, they can cut and pierce far longer and better than those small daggerlike edges.

So, in DnD 3.5 terms they would be a dagger ( 1d4 damage, 19-20 x2 crit range) with a +2 bonus against disarm attempts, and probably deal slashing instead of piercing damage. You would not be able to throw it accurately like you could a normal dagger and should suffer a -4 on attack rolls for such an attempt. It would have no range increment.

Edit: Also, the reason they seem to slice well and kill so much as they do, is because of Riddick's skill, not the weapons themselves. This will not translate into an ingame bonus from the weapon itself.

Xallace
2010-08-01, 05:17 PM
I'd make it a light 1d4 // 20/x3 crit, personally. I haven't seen these in action, but from the looks of it, effectively attacking vitals would be difficult... but it'd hurt a lot when you did. I might also say a +2 against disarm checks and a +1-+2 bonus to AC when fighting defensively or taking a full-defense action; it looks good for parrying.

So basically it'd be an exotic punching dagger.

sigurd
2010-08-01, 09:54 PM
So, in DnD 3.5 terms they would be a dagger ( 1d4 damage, 19-20 x2 crit range) with a +2 bonus against disarm attempts, and probably deal slashing instead of piercing damage. You would not be able to throw it accurately like you could a normal dagger and should suffer a -4 on attack rolls for such an attempt. It would have no range increment.

Edit: Also, the reason they seem to slice well and kill so much as they do, is because of Riddick's skill, not the weapons themselves. This will not translate into an ingame bonus from the weapon itself.

+1

You can't fall in love with something in isolation. It has to be brought back into line with the existing system.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-01, 10:08 PM
yeah, I'd agree that with the loss of throwing capability... along with its exotic nature....

Exotic Light Melee Weapon
1d4 dmg // 19-20 crit // slashing

+2 bonus against disarm attempts

+1 dodge bonus to AC, same as the dodge bonus provided when the using combat expertise or fighting defensively with a Broadblade Shortsword (complete adventurer)

Edit: errata brings the Broadblade Swortsword dodge bonus to +1

TheVileVillain
2010-08-01, 10:32 PM
I, personally, would stat them like the Cutlass from Stormwrack except that they deal Piercing Damage. That would give them:

Uklak: one-handed martial weapon
1d6 piercing (1d4 small), 19-20/x2 crit, RI 0, Weight 3lb.
Special: +2 Circumstance bonus to resist Disarm Checks made to disarm the wielder of the Uklak.

Functionally I'd say Riddick was able to dual-wield defensively with them so effectively because he had a High base attack bonus and the two-weapon defense feats.

Ouranos
2010-08-01, 10:39 PM
I say take dagger stats. Add in the +2 resist disarm. But also, allot it to do bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing at will. Pierce through stabs, slash is a dug, but bludgeoning from punching out into someone's face. Also, make them a monk weapon.

I would also add the +2 to ac WHEN fighting defensively, because they are very well formed for defense. However, due to their obviously extremely exotic nature, give them a much higher base cost then normal, say 50g, to compensate for the rarity such a weapon would have. it may not be much, but it helps balance it.

Kurtmuran
2010-08-03, 11:56 AM
well in my oppinion you maybe want to take a few tricks chose the weapon you like if you want to trait like a dagger you want to improve the damage dice aumenting the size and so on, you can chose special metals or material to do best daggers and why not imbue it whit magic effects like keen or whatever you like

EdroGrimshell
2010-08-03, 12:07 PM
I say take dagger stats. Add in the +2 resist disarm. But also, allot it to do bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing at will. Pierce through stabs, slash is a dug, but bludgeoning from punching out into someone's face. Also, make them a monk weapon.

I would also add the +2 to ac WHEN fighting defensively, because they are very well formed for defense. However, due to their obviously extremely exotic nature, give them a much higher base cost then normal, say 50g, to compensate for the rarity such a weapon would have. it may not be much, but it helps balance it.

+1 tencharacters

Andion Isurand
2010-08-10, 04:42 PM
As per errata for Complete Adventurer

Page 117: Broadblade Short Sword
The dodge bonus to AC should be +1, not +2.

sigurd
2010-08-10, 09:02 PM
I have no problem with them being a monk weapon.

I just think they're sort of awkward. A kukri - with some chopping power or even a long single edged blade held against the wrist seem a lot more lethal.

But so long as they fit into the scheme of things they'd only add to the game.

S

Ouranos
2010-08-10, 11:27 PM
Also, being the owner of a set of these, most people don't realise how huge they are. I'm 5'10" and those blade go about halfway down my forearm. The overall blade length after the curve is I'd say 7-8 inches if not more. While the slash may not do much damage, a downward stroke into a skull or near the neck would be VERY lethal. I'd even say, x3 crit lethal. Thse are NASTY, and I've kinda played around with them and you can easily reverse the grip and make them a real nasty stabber weapon too.

Hyooz
2010-08-10, 11:47 PM
Also, being the owner of a set of these, most people don't realise how huge they are. I'm 5'10" and those blade go about halfway down my forearm. The overall blade length after the curve is I'd say 7-8 inches if not more. While the slash may not do much damage, a downward stroke into a skull or near the neck would be VERY lethal. I'd even say, x3 crit lethal. Thse are NASTY, and I've kinda played around with them and you can easily reverse the grip and make them a real nasty stabber weapon too.

So they're... daggers? But with an inexplicably increased crit multiplier?

Ouranos
2010-08-11, 09:57 AM
It's the curve that makes them so much more lethal then normal. At least that was my thought. You'd end up ripping and tearing alot of tissue after a stab with these suckers.

Morph Bark
2010-08-11, 10:08 AM
So they're... daggers? But with an inexplicably increased crit multiplier?

By the sounds of the length it seems almost short sword, considering the stated length is after the curve.

To be honest, when I first saw the picture, I thought they seemed rather kukri-like.