PDA

View Full Version : The Slednder Man

Algerin
2010-08-01, 03:26 PM
Anyone want to stat up The Slender Man for Call of Cthulhu, 6th edition?

More info: http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Slender+Man

thanks in advance

Shinizak
2010-08-01, 03:33 PM
Anyone want to stat up The Slender Man for Call of Cthulhu, 6th edition?

More info: http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Slender+Man

thanks in advance

Eh, all I'll say is that he doesn't may you lose much sanity except that he is QUITE persistent about scaring the living **** out of you before he gets you. So what he does do, h makes count.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-08-01, 03:39 PM
Well, this' probably be better served in the Homebrew section, first of all (report your own post and the mods will probably move it for you). Also, not sure how similar the systems are, but somebody here made him in D&D 3.5, and you might be able to use that as a start.

Hyooz
2010-08-01, 04:15 PM
Well, this' probably be better served in the Homebrew section, first of all (report your own post and the mods will probably move it for you). Also, not sure how similar the systems are, but somebody here made him in D&D 3.5, and you might be able to use that as a start.

That was me!

But yeah, I have no idea how different 3.5 and CoC are, but I'll link it anyway.

Slendy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7707638&postcount=11)

Hope it helps.

Octopus Jack
2010-08-01, 04:17 PM
I hate you, now I've read alot on the slender man and I am refusing to sheath my sword until morning

Hyooz
2010-08-01, 05:21 PM
I hate you, now I've read alot on the slender man and I am refusing to sheath my sword until morning

He watches during the day too :smallamused:

Algerin
2010-08-01, 06:19 PM

exactly why I decided I had to have him in my CoC game :smallamused:

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-01, 07:02 PM
Eh, all I'll say is that he doesn't may you lose much sanity except that he is QUITE persistent about scaring the living **** out of you before he gets you. So what he does do, h makes count.

Yeah, this.

He's pretty hard to pin down, but he isn't exactly an 'instant wibble' creature. He should be able to mess with your mind, both figuratively and literally and is very much the sort of thing to have kind of...always nearby. Chipping away at your sanity rather than carving great elder-god chunks out of it.

Can't really help with the statting, though.

Algerin
2010-08-01, 07:10 PM
Yeah, this.

He's pretty hard to pin down, but he isn't exactly an 'instant wibble' creature. He should be able to mess with your mind, both figuratively and literally and is very much the sort of thing to have kind of...always nearby. Chipping away at your sanity rather than carving great elder-god chunks out of it.

Can't really help with the statting, though.

Luckily my game is set in and around Spokane, WA of the 1920's... the woods around here can be VERY creepy...

So would he be something that just shows up every now and then? A little bit of unexplained horror that never gets fully explained? I think that would be rather neat.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-01, 07:18 PM
Either that, or kinda...a mixture of that and a genuine and more pressing problem. If they deal with the (apparently unrelated) problem enough, then eventually they will come into more and more contact and possibly conflict with Slendy, till the next thing they know they've lost a period of several weeks memory, one of them is missing their right hand, another has a series of 'scribbled' cryptic warnings cut into his back and there's not a child left in their local town.

Which is on fire.

[edit]
I'm going to assume you've already seen it, but I'd recommend giving the slenderman related 'Marble Hornets' a watch, if any of you haven't already.

The Twitter Feed (http://twitter.com/marblehornets) links to all of the videos, the mysterious replies and contains the in-charactertotally real musings and thoughts of the uploader. You'll have to expand downwards for a while to get to the start, though.

Ponderthought
2010-08-01, 07:18 PM
I support this madness.

I think he would probably either be a lesser known avatar of nyarlathotep, or a sort of independent creature. I imagine he would be rather low on the Cosmic Totem pole, but rather insidious and more subtle than most. Perhaps is a creature that develops from a gene locked away in human junk DNA, and steal children to make more of itself.

Algerin
2010-08-01, 07:22 PM
Either that, or kinda...a mixture of that and a genuine and more pressing problem. If they deal with the (apparently unrelated) problem enough, then eventually they will come into more and more contact and possibly conflict with Slendy, till the next thing they know they've lost a period of several weeks memory, one of them is missing their right hand, another has a series of 'scribbled' cryptic warnings cut into his back and there's not a child left in their local town.

Which is on fire.

GREAT ideas!

We all live in Spokane, and one of the characters plays a bootlegger that lives all alone on mount Spokane, with his dog. They are also frequently.."visited" by men in black. I'm thinking a single, lone figure slowly getting closer and closer to the bootlegger. the bootlegger thinks its a man in black...

I'll finish up the investigations I currently have, dropping a little bit of Slendy in as we go =P more Ideas will be appreciated of course.

EDIT:also, I have heard of Marble Hornets, I just haven't watched it yet. I'm waiting for it to get dark...

boj0
2010-08-01, 07:37 PM
Watch marble hornets on youtube to get a feel for his scariness.
But he needs an ability where you have to look at him to contain him to our reality, but of course looking at him drives you crazy.
FOUND YOU

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-01, 07:42 PM
Those he takes are put away in a pocket dimension, isolating them, keeping their muscles weak and tender unable to move until very old age, where he unhinges his jaw and swallows them whole from the legs up. Sort of like a super long process of human veal.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-01, 07:45 PM
Those he takes are put away in a pocket dimension, isolating them, keeping their muscles weak and tender unable to move until very old age, where he unhinges his jaw and swallows them whole from the legs up. Sort of like a super long process of human veal.

Well, that's what Old Graham down at the Spokane Woodland Serenity retirement home claims. You know, the one in the wheelchair, all gangly and soft. Silly old begger has lost his marbles completely, acts almost like a ten year old. What does he know?

Wonder how he affords that place, anyway. They say he never has any family come visit him...

Demons_eye
2010-08-01, 08:25 PM
I am not sleeping tonight if you all are happy!

The Dark Fiddler
2010-08-01, 08:38 PM
That was me!

So it was, and I want to tell you it was a great job yet again. :smalltongue:

I'd also like to note that statting up the Slender Man Himself might be a bit of a challenge, because He varies a lot based on who's telling the story. Gives a lot of creative freedom, but also a lot of confusing (sometimes conflicting) starting points.

I am not sleeping tonight if you all are happy!

Yes, yes we are.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-01, 09:31 PM
God. Damn. You. I'm on #5 of marble hornets and am already terrified. THANKYOUSOMUCH.

Demons_eye
2010-08-01, 09:52 PM
God. Damn. You. I'm on #5 of marble hornets and am already terrified. THANKYOUSOMUCH.

Get the **** out! I am on number five right now

Ponderthought
2010-08-01, 10:29 PM
Prepare for mind rape in the later episodes.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-01, 10:31 PM
I wish I could stop... :smalleek:

Algerin
2010-08-01, 11:44 PM
Starting Marble Horntes right now =)

Admiral Squish
2010-08-01, 11:47 PM
HOLY F***! HOLY F***!
YEah, it's WAAAAY to late for this s***. I'm going to bed. Don't kow if I can sleep after 18/19...

Lycan 01
2010-08-01, 11:53 PM
I might be running a Slender Man Call of Cthulhu game tommorrow, ironically. I've been planning it for awhile. I used him in a DnD game once. The Bard's player didn't sleep for 36 hours.

I'm not giving him stats or anything. He'll just be there. Can't be fought, can't be killed. He can be outrun, but he'll only show up again later on. They'll be investigating some missing hikers, and end up having to ask around about old legends. Then the people who tell them the legends start dissappearing...

In fact, I want the players to escape. Then, once they get back to the city, they'll go about their daily lives... 'til they start catching glimpses of Slender Man in their windows and mirrors, always looming over their shoulders, but never really there...

Ponderthought
2010-08-02, 12:24 AM
Thats actually a great idea..coc is all about atmosphere and less about confrontation. Ive run a few sessions like that, though mine involved The Worms that Walk. It was great, just giving the players enough lead up, bank records from the 1700's, house deeds, birth certificates, all paper documents about a mans strange and extraordinarily long life..then when i started leaving strange symbols and the occasional mass of dead bugs and grave dirt around, the players freaked.

Im starting Twelve Tribes now, lets see if its any good.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-02, 12:38 AM

You underestimate The Slender Man.

See: Marble Hornets

Hyooz
2010-08-02, 01:10 AM
Im starting Twelve Tribes now, lets see if its any good.

Twelve Tribes or Tribes Twelve or whatever they're calling it these days is pretty bad. It's like if the marblehornets guys lost all sense of suspense, drama, and all ability to act.

Slendy seriously shows up in like, every video, in plain sight, and there's operator symbols all over the place for no readily apparent reason.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-02, 02:01 AM
So, two hours after watching #18, I still can't let myself separate from some form of distraction. I've got every light in the house on, radios and TVs on everywhere, and I still can't let myself not be online or in a book for more than thirty seconds without the rampant paranoia starting again.

Ponderthought
2010-08-02, 04:22 AM
It happens, most horror is easily forgetable, but some strike a deep nerve.

Hyooz
2010-08-02, 08:10 AM
Another series worth checking out: everymanHYBRID

It's actually pretty unique how they go about it.