PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Mount: Drakkensteed VS Dragonnel [3.5]

Volos
2010-08-01, 03:53 PM
I have an amazing player who week after week brings an amazing energy and depth of story that I have never seen before and almost hope to never find again, just to preserve his utter and complete awesomeness.

My current problem is that he is unsatisfied royally pissed off about the disproportionate levels of kickassery between the Drakkensteed and the Dragonnel. For those of you who don't spend hours every day poring through 3.5 source books, the Drakkensteed is the obvious fluff choice over the Dragonnel. The Drakkensteed looks like a dragon, has similar HD to a horse, and looks like a ****ing dragon. The Dragonnel... (forgive me Bahamut for mentioning this failure of Io) ...looks like a cross between a drunk Pegasus and very lucky fiendish crocodile. It is literally impossible to look at the damn thing without either cracking up or murdering the closest thing to you. The conflict is that the Drakkensteed, as far as stats are concerned, is far inferior to the pants-on-head retarded Dragonnel.

The Drakkensteed has a crap fly speed and poor maneuverability, one bite attack, a trample, and low light vision.

The Dragonnel has a decent fly speed and average maneuverability, one bite and four claw attacks (but all it has is hooves on its feet), darkvision, immunity to sleep and paralysis, scent, a roar special attack, improved initiative, and speaks Draconic.

I'm sure that most of you will suggest to simply flip the stats around to make the more draconic looking Drakkensteed the more awesome of the two mounts, but I'm more concerned with the game-play balance involved in giving such a powerful paladin mount to a half-dragon character. Being that the Dragonnel (or the Drakkensteed if I switch the stats) is a dragon, it would be able to take dragonic feats and do impressive battlefield maneuvers, potentially outshining the other characters of the group. (That is before he does his paladin shiny effects) So, does it seem that the Drakkensteed is nerfed for a decent reason or were WOTC just hitting the bong a little hard that week?

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-01, 04:23 PM
Seeing as the Dragonnel can be had with a single feat, I would say just switch the stats.

Volos
2010-08-01, 04:45 PM
Seeing as the Dragonnel can be had with a single feat, I would say just switch the stats.

Okay, that wasn't really helpful. I know I can just switch the stats, what I wanted to know was whether or not the stats for the Dragonnell are broken or not. The only thing keeping my player from getting this mount is the intense fuglyness that comes with riding on a Dragonnel. That along with the sudden loss of his alignment and paladin powers for killing his mount. Being that he would be riding the damn thing when the urge to murder the closest thing to him takes over.

Flickerdart
2010-08-01, 05:05 PM
What he's saying is Dragonnels aren't broken because you can get one with a feat. Just let him take the feat but have his mount resemble a drakkensteed instead.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-08-01, 05:16 PM
the answer, the picture of a dragonnel in the book is not the picture you have to use. . . for example

Thishttp://www.elfwood.com/art/j/c/jcjc/dragonhorse.jpg

just go find a picture you like better. . . POOF dragonnels no longer suck.

aivanther
2010-08-01, 05:23 PM
He's a paladin, even if it IS broken, you really can't fault giving him one thing that actually will give him a leg up.

Frosty
2010-08-01, 05:24 PM
You shouldn't worry about the half-dragon paladin PC being overpowered. Seriously.

Paladin

Half Dragon

Volos
2010-08-01, 07:32 PM
He's a paladin, even if it IS broken, you really can't fault giving him one thing that actually will give him a leg up.

You shouldn't worry about the half-dragon paladin PC being overpowered. Seriously.

Paladin

Half Dragon

Being that I am using a custom built two level class for half-dragon that stacks with any caster levels for spellcasting and that with his current selection of feats he is the most powerful member of the party, I am concerned about giving him too much.

But I have found my solution. He is a large size character (due to the increase in size from his half-dragon heritage...again, custom stuff) so he needs at least a huge size mount. The stats won't advance the mount to huge size untill 13 HD, which at his level he will not get. There are no rules for the Drakkensteed advancement, so I could just give him that for the moment and let him work his way up to the better stat block.