PDA

View Full Version : Word for a government controlled by psychics?

Gamerlord
2010-08-01, 04:19 PM
OK, this might be the strangest question you will ever be asked on this forum, anyway, so I am making a sci-fi tabletop RPG and there is a government controlled by a crazy psychic dude, and I do not know of a word for such a thing. Mages have a mageocracy, clerics have a theocracy, what is a word for a government controlled by Psychics, does one even exist? Tried googleing, could not find anything.

YPU
2010-08-01, 04:20 PM
Psychocracy?

Seriously tough, "I googled for the correct term for a governments of psychics and google failed me!"

Flickerdart
2010-08-01, 04:22 PM
Mentocracy?

Player_Zero
2010-08-01, 04:26 PM
How does a "government controlled by physics" work exactly?

They play Plinko to decide which bills to pass or something?

YPU
2010-08-01, 04:27 PM
What that movie again with psychics predicting crimes that get prevented before hand?

Player_Zero
2010-08-01, 04:29 PM
Minority Report.

Xyk
2010-08-01, 04:30 PM
You want to use the greek word for psychic which is roughly psychikos. You want a psychocracy. That follows the same pattern as theocracy.

Gamerlord
2010-08-01, 04:36 PM

In this government, being physic is the only way to advance to a position in life besides "Cannon Fodder" or "Slave". And all physics are snatched away from their parents within hours of being born. And the crazy dude reigns supreme, but any bill he tries to ram through can be stopped if at least 75% of the other physics are opposed to the bill.

Zevox
2010-08-01, 04:42 PM
The Forgotten Realms campaign setting had such a nation in its history. The nation of Jhaamdath, ruled by noble Psions and Psychic Warriors. It was referred to as a Psiocracy.

Zevox

Gamerlord
2010-08-01, 04:44 PM
The Forgotten Realms campaign setting had such a nation in its history. The nation of Jhaamdath, ruled by noble Psions and Psychic Warriors. It was referred to as a Psiocracy.

Zevox

Because of indoctrination and subtle psychic suggestion by the crazy guy, the psychics are SO NOT noble. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2010-08-01, 04:53 PM
Because of indoctrination and subtle psychic suggestion by the crazy guy, the psychics are SO NOT noble. :smalltongue:
That's "noble" in the "rich, powerful families" sense, not the "good, just people" sense.

Zevox

GenericGuy
2010-08-01, 05:05 PM
If its a nation ruled by a select few its an oligarchy, but if they are psychic why don't they brainwash the populace into worshiping them as gods and become a theocracy?

Emperor Ing
2010-08-01, 05:09 PM
The way I see it, it's gonna be a Dictatorship, Theocracy, or maybe a Monarchy depending on how said psychic maintains control and models his State.

Player_Zero
2010-08-01, 05:10 PM
In this government, being physic is the only way to advance to a position in life besides "Cannon Fodder" or "Slave". And all physics are snatched away from their parents within hours of being born. And the crazy dude reigns supreme, but any bill he tries to ram through can be stopped if at least 75% of the other physics are opposed to the bill.

...Psychics.

Psy. Chics.

Worira
2010-08-01, 05:31 PM

You're the first person in the thread to refer to it as ruled by physics.

Player_Zero
2010-08-01, 06:00 PM
You're the first person in the thread to refer to it as ruled by physics.

Then I suppose I'm going insane. What's new.

YPU
2010-08-01, 06:02 PM
Then I suppose I'm going insane. What's new. You making mistakes is new, people, reach for your scrabble moments. Hit him while he's weak!

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-01, 06:18 PM
Attack his weak point for massive damage!*

*Based on actual GitP history

Player_Zero
2010-08-01, 06:18 PM
You making mistakes is new, people, reach for your scrabble moments. Hit him while he's weak!

You're quite the comedian. Care to try your luck during this 'period of weakness'?

Obrysii
2010-08-01, 06:26 PM
Psiocracy?

Psyocracy?

Gamerlord
2010-08-01, 07:12 PM
The way I see it, it's gonna be a Dictatorship, Theocracy, or maybe a Monarchy depending on how said psychic maintains control and models his State.

He has his goons place mind control chips into people whenever they are in hospitals (Which is at least once, because he has secretly placed a rather nasty but easily cured virus in the air.) These mind control chips allow him to use his psychic powers on pretty much the whole populace.

Coidzor
2010-08-01, 07:24 PM
^: Why not just cut out the middleman and have them implanted at birth?

This gives the added bonus of having all of the psychics in his thrall anyway, even if they think they aren't.

Dictatorship. :smalltongue:

Neo-Orwellian Dystopia.

littlebottom
2010-08-01, 10:19 PM
conspiricy! ..... or government controlled by psychics (GCP) that do? make it an abreviation.

deuxhero
2010-08-01, 10:40 PM
Espercracy?
Espership?
Whatever the social and economic beliefs and method of choosing leaders of the nation are instead of it's rulers special ability?

Moff Chumley
2010-08-01, 10:55 PM
Then I suppose I'm going insane. What's new.

The arrogance, the lack of respect of other people as human beings, and the sarcasm? That's not anything new. Nor is the insanity.

The being incorrect is what's so shocking. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-08-01, 11:15 PM
Heh. Or a Mulocracy, if you want to make a Foundation reference...

arguskos
2010-08-01, 11:20 PM
Heh. Or a Mulocracy, if you want to make a Foundation reference...
Haha, but only if you're a genetic mutant who is sterile and gonna die young. :smallcool:

Cheetah109
2010-08-02, 12:18 AM
Seerocracy? (from "seer")
Divinocracy? (from "divine/diviner")
Willocracy? (from "will")
Mandocracy? (from "mandate/mandatory/demand")

Honestly, sounds more like a hive than anything else. Mr. Leader being basically the same as a queen bee.

Soo...hivocracy maybe?

Or for a bit of pun, a psychictatorship.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-02, 12:20 AM
Seerocracy? (from "seer")
Divinocracy? (from "divine/diviner")
Willocracy? (from "will")
Mandocracy? (from "mandate/mandatory/demand")

Honestly, sounds more like a hive than anything else. Mr. Leader being basically the same as a queen bee.

Soo...hivocracy maybe?

Or for a bit of pun, a psychictatorship.

Latin suffixes. You're doing it wrong.

The Extinguisher
2010-08-02, 12:21 AM

This is the most amusing thing ever. I need this to exist.

But technically, wouldn't all forms of government be controlled by physics?

golentan
2010-08-02, 12:40 AM
This is the most amusing thing ever. I need this to exist.

Actually, it need not be. They're entirely abstract constructs, so the only influence physics has is on the processes that make the minds that make the contracts that make the government: I.E. it only influences to the point where you believe in a deterministic universe . Something probably called into question by the existence of psychics in this world in any case (mind as a property distinct from matter which can affect it to varying degrees?).

As to what to call it, I can't remember what the Zhodani called their government style, but I'd probably go with the government type it most matches which is enhanced by the presence of psionics (dictatorship, oligarchy, whatever) or "Magocracy" because there's no difference between psionics and magic for practical purposes.

Eldan
2010-08-02, 06:01 AM
Latin suffixes. You're doing it wrong.

Greek. Nearly as wrong.

Serpentine
2010-08-02, 06:06 AM
How about Oracracy, or something else based on "oracle"?

Eldan
2010-08-02, 06:32 AM
I'm no good with greek, but would that be a Mantocracy? Manteiocracy? Something like that, probably.

This might help, if you have a lot of time. (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Forms_of_government) Note that a lot of these really, really aren't greek.

The Rose Dragon
2010-08-02, 06:50 AM

I always thought physic meant "medicine".

A government ruled by purgatives. That would be something.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-02, 07:26 AM
I always thought physic meant "medicine".

A government ruled by purgatives. That would be something.

Gulliver's Travels explores this in the third part.

Asta Kask
2010-08-02, 07:40 AM
With the psychics we have today? That would be a quackocracy...

Serpentine
2010-08-02, 08:22 AM
I always thought physic meant "medicine".That would be physician.

Asta Kask
2010-08-02, 08:49 AM
Physis means 'nature', as in 'it is in an acorns nature to become an oak'. Physiology is the knowledge of man's nature. Physician is a person who corrects disturbances to a man's natural state. And physics is the study of nature as a whole.

The Rose Dragon
2010-08-02, 09:37 AM
That would be physician.

No, that's someone who practices physic. Like politics and politician.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-02, 10:23 AM
No, that's someone who practices physic. Like politics and politician.

To answer your question, physic is an older term for medicine (it's the older form of the discipline) but is no longer commonly used. And yes, a physician practises physic.

The Rose Dragon
2010-08-02, 11:22 AM
To answer your question...

What question? I simply made a statement. :smalltongue:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-02, 12:13 PM
What question? I simply made a statement. :smalltongue:

Bah, my memory has failed me once again!

Also, I was ninja'd. Foiled again!

Fable Wright
2010-08-02, 12:25 PM
I think it's a mentocracy...

Worira
2010-08-02, 12:26 PM
No, that's rule by mint-flavoured candies.

Poison_Fish
2010-08-02, 12:35 PM
The way it's been stated, it's ruled by a crazy dude. A crazy dude with pyschic powers, but a singular man or potentially women (depending on usage of dude) in of itself.

So dictatorship. Also, the society sounds like it'd easily fall apart into instability if said crazy dude got disposed of by a plucky group of adventurers. I'd question how such a culture manages to perpetuate and sustain itself with such a fragile system, but that may be just what you want.

As a side note, such a country would never work well on an international level unless all other nations happened to be equally unbalanced or said psychically dominated nation had a form of deterrence against the outside agents disposing of it's flimsy self.

ghost_warlock
2010-08-02, 12:39 PM
Government run by psychics?

Obviously, there's no such thing.

Go back to your fun, citizen.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-02, 07:40 PM
Meme success. Two cookies.

TSGames
2010-08-02, 09:31 PM
Mentocracy?

MMMMMmmmm.... Mintocracy. That's one delicious sounding government. I assume Thursdays would be free ice-cream days days as well.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-02, 09:33 PM
I vote for whatever the government is posing as
so "it is a democracy" (which is controlled by a psychic)

Cheetah109
2010-08-03, 12:16 AM
I like Latin. How about an animarchy? From "anima" for mind/soul.

Kneenibble
2010-08-03, 12:26 AM
This psychic sounds like he's up to no good. I call it a malarky.

IonDragon
2010-08-03, 05:17 AM
Possibly Government?

Since I have yet to see one that is not controlled by physics.

Reading comprehension fail.

Minority Report +1.

Other possibilities;
Miss Cleo-ocracy?
which could be shortened to...
Cleocracy?

Tarrotocracy

The Succubus
2010-08-03, 05:25 AM
Hmmm, if the psychics are controlling people to that degree, may I suggest a dominocracy?*

*also used for governments that are keen on whips, handcuffs and little jiggly things. >.>

Archonic Energy
2010-08-03, 05:26 AM
the second foundation?
:smallamused:

Kallisti
2010-08-03, 01:18 PM
This psychic sounds like he's up to no good. I call it a malarky.

I think this wins the thread. Really.

That said, I'd think it'd be a Psiocracy or Psyocracy--take your pick on the spelling. But that's boring. Go with "Neo-Orwellian Dystopia." That was a good suggestion too.

Xuc Xac
2010-08-04, 11:28 PM
The fact that the guy in charge is psychic and uses his powers to stay in charge doesn't really effect what kind of government it is.

If he's a king of some kind and no one revolts because he keeps them psychically dominated, then it's still a monarchy. It's a monarchy where all the king's subjects are psychically conditioned to be loyal.

If it's a democracy, but Hypnotoad keeps winning by a unanimous vote of the people then it's still a democracy.

If it's a government based on psychic skill (the only way to get a government job is to pass a test demonstrating psychic skill and the more skill you have the higher your position), then it's a meritocracy based on psychic ability.

So, other than the psychic part, how is the government actually structured?

Night Monkey
2010-08-07, 06:45 AM
the second foundation?
:smallamused:

Aasimocracy?

Honestly, I'd start with whatever psychic controller dude would call himself (something that sounds cool to him) and work from that. If he's called the Psionic Emperor than it's a Psionic Empire. If he's called the Prince of Dreams then its a Dreaming Principality. If he's called the Brain-King then it's a Brain-Kingdom. Think less about the technical and more about the stylistic.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-08, 10:02 PM
I doubt it would be the Dreaming Kingdom of Malarky. Just the Kingdom of Malarky, that everyone knows is ruled by a There is no mind control, I will return to my bah, you know the drill.

The Ender
2010-08-08, 10:29 PM
Hypnocracy? Hypnotarian regime?

Lobocracy? Lobotarian regime?

I got nuffin'.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-09, 02:15 AM
I think this wins the thread. Really.

Indeed.:smallbiggrin: