PDA

View Full Version : Nautical-themed DnD[3.5]

Org
2010-08-01, 04:32 PM
Okay, need some help. I want to make a swashbuckling pirate, but I don't know a good class/race or feats! Any help is desired.

Thanks!

Kaje
2010-08-01, 04:38 PM
Base classes:
Rogue
Factotum
Swashbuckler
otoh, Swashbuckler sucks. Maybe Swordsage?

PrCs:
Legendary Captain
Dread Pirate

Also, go buy Stormwrack.

Org
2010-08-01, 04:46 PM
We start at level 5. I was thinking of going Rogue. SHould I do all 5 levels of Rogue, or what?

Noodles2375
2010-08-01, 04:55 PM
Rogue/Swashbuckler, with the Daring Outlaw feat that allows Swashbuckler and Rogue levels to stack when computing Sneak Attack or Grace, might be fun. You can pick whichever you like to specialize in melee vs. skill monkey and still get excellent results.

Greenish
2010-08-01, 05:30 PM
Swashbuckler is pretty poor at swashing bucklers, seeing as they don't gain the proficiency.

Warblade and swordsage (both ToB) both make for good lightly armoured, mobile and skilled characters.

Multiclassing is an option too. Rogue 2/warblade 3 with Able Learner and Craven might work.

Of races: humans are always good. If you want, you can trade the extra feat for ability to breathe both water and air and swim speed with Aventi (who still get bonus skill points, I seem to recall).

AslanCross
2010-08-01, 08:21 PM
Swashbuckler is mostly good for only three levels, until you get Insightful Strike. Combining that with Warblade is a good option, since there's Int-synergy.

Swashbuckler/Rogue is also decent, with Daring Outlaw.

Eldariel
2010-08-02, 06:02 AM
Yeah, Swashbuckler/Rogue/Swordsage (2-3 SS levels really adds to your swashbuckling capabilities with swift action jumps, hits with both weapons, sense motive-based AC and all that) is the archetypal "Sneaky Warrior".

Warblade makes for a decent option too, particularly with a Diamond Mind focus, and straight Swordsage works too. It is, after all, more about which skills you want; Rogue/SS gets more and has better SA. SA Thug Fighter is also fairly decent for that job.

Really, ToB adds a lot to Swashbuckling; with it one-handing is even somewhat viable (tho most of these builds really want two-weapon fighting).