PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making a mounted character!

SuperCracker
2010-08-01, 06:11 PM
Okay, Playground. My new project is to make a cool mounted character. I'd like to ride something that flies. So, griffon or dragon would be my preferences (if there's a way to ride a true dragon, hell yeah).

Wild Plains Outrider is going to be in there somewhere for pounce. I have the opportunity to take a refluffed Revanent Blade (may or may not do it). Other than that, I'm not exactly sure what the good mounted prestige classes are out there.

Bakkan
2010-08-01, 07:35 PM
Not a prestige class, but I seem to recall that the Knight from PH2 has some mounted-combat related abilities, including getting the Mounted Combat feat as a bonus feat.

You can also consider the Paladin's special mount, as I believe there are some ways to get a dragon as your special mount. IIRC, Draconomicon has one, though I'm not familiar with the specifics.

WeeFreeMen
2010-08-01, 08:21 PM
Several things.
1) You want to be a Small race, so your mount is Medium, hence able to follow you anywhere. (IE: You won't be useless in combat when inside a building)

Unfortunately, once your a mounted character you stay one, it has a pretty decent amount of devotion to the build as it uses up resources.

PrC's aren't really all that great, mostly anything Core is fine.
Some of the completes for Feats.

My personal favorite is a "Summoner" Mounted character, from Pathfinder (3.5 compatible). They get something akin to a special mount (if you like) called a Eidion. You can shape it and change it to your liking, etc, etc. (Read: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/site/pathfinderogc/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/summoner-final-playtest-version )

Also, this will help.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429

Happy hunting.

herrhauptmann
2010-08-01, 10:53 PM
Recently had a thread regarding how to get a mount, particularly a mount which levels with your character.
Riding a giant eagle is fun, but once you're at high levels, riding that CR 4 creature is more a liability than advantage.
Here's my thread with advice on ways to gain a mount.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161245

The zhent skymage gets a mount in relation to his intimidate and PrC level, he's just required to scare the crap out of it or something. Has the advantage that if you lose your mount, you can just go get a new one, rather than waiting a year and a day, or waiting to gain a level. In Lords of Darkness

mabriss lethe
2010-08-01, 11:49 PM
Binder actually makes for a pretty good charger. at level 5 (with access to the improved binding feat) you can select Andras, which gives you a nice start on a charger build. at 13 you can take andras and Eligor both, which grants pretty much the whole suite of standard charger toys, but if you're planning on being a charger anyway, you should probably pick up the appropriate feats on your own before that. When you aren't in position to lance things, you can bind other vestiges as appropriate.

FMArthur
2010-08-02, 12:11 AM
Be a Paladin and take the Drakkensteed Mount alternate class feature from Dragon Magic. A Drakkensteed is a creature that looks exactly like a dragon but isn't. You lose nothing in this trade, making it a rather poor design choice on WotC's choice, but a very good decision from a player's perspective. :smallamused:

Further, Paladins get two spells to double their charge damage: the first level Paladin spell, Rhino's Rush (Spell Compendium), is a swift-activated spell that doubles the damage on the first attack on your next charge. Righteous Fury (Miniatures Handbook) is a 2nd-level Paladin spell that is a standard action but does the same thing and lasts round/level (and can be cast on touched allies). Get a wand of each (multiple eternal wands are better) and use wand chambers on your Valorous (Unapproachable East, +1 enhancement to double charge damage) lance and animated shield to use them in combat at will without needing spell slots. You won't have many spell slots because you will be a Cavalier (CW) to do some more doubling and later tripling of charge damage. Undergo the ritual for the Dragonborn template (+0, RotD) and acquire your own wings, giving yourself the ability to make a dive attack that acts like a charge and further doubles your damage. Take Spirited Charge.

What are we looking at here in terms of multipliers? x8? x9? :smallamused:

Okay, ignore the second paragraph. Be a paladin and take Drakkensteed Mount, which is great. Have fun. Oh, and it's a Large creature no matter what, so don't bother being a halfling or anything unless you need to.

mabriss lethe
2010-08-02, 12:19 AM
Be a Paladin and take the Drakkensteed Mount alternate class feature from Dragon Magic. A Drakkensteed is a creature that looks exactly like a dragon but isn't. You lose nothing in this trade, making it a rather poor design choice on WotC's choice, but a very good decision from a player's perspective. :smallamused:

Further, Paladins get two spells to double their charge damage: the first level Paladin spell, Rhino's Rush (Spell Compendium), is a swift-activated spell that doubles the damage on the first attack on your next charge. Righteous Fury (Miniatures Handbook) is a 2nd-level Paladin spell that is a standard action but does the same thing and lasts round/level (and can be cast on touched allies). Get a wand of each (multiple eternal wands are better) and use wand chambers on your Valorous (Unapproachable East, +1 enhancement to double charge damage) lance and animated shield to use them in combat at will without needing spell slots. You won't have many spell slots because you will be a Cavalier (CW) to do some more doubling and later tripling of charge damage. Undergo the ritual for the Dragonborn template (+0, RotD) and acquire your own wings, giving yourself the ability to make a dive attack that acts like a charge and further doubles your damage. Take Spirited Charge.

What are we looking at here in terms of multipliers? x8? x9? :smallamused:

Okay, ignore the second paragraph. Be a paladin and take Drakkensteed Mount, which is great. Have fun. Oh, and it's a Large creature no matter what, so don't bother being a halfling or anything unless you need to.

Don't forget the feat from (somewhere I've forgotten)that allows paladins to cast all their spells as swift actions. That really makes Righteous Fury a nasty customer.

FMArthur
2010-08-02, 12:29 AM
It's just too bad there's no way to land on your mount at the end of a Leap Attack. Chargers have it rough. :smallfrown:

Prime32
2010-08-02, 05:49 AM
Mount handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414.0)

Snake-Aes
2010-08-02, 08:28 AM
Don't forget the feat from (somewhere I've forgotten)that allows paladins to cast all their spells as swift actions. That really makes Righteous Fury a nasty customer.

Battle Blessing, Complete Champion. Full round spells become standard, standard becomes swift.

gbprime
2010-08-02, 08:46 AM
Moonsea Sky Sentinel (Champions of Valor) comes with an advanced Dire Hawk for a steed which levels as you do. But more importantly, the class comes with SPELL TURNING. Whatever else you do with your time, you're a full BAB build that can spell turn by level 8.

Sindri
2010-08-02, 11:45 AM
I'd go for Dragon Cohort from the Draconomicon. Like Leadership, but no followers and your cohort counts as 3 levels lower than they ordinarily would. Then get either a true dragon (probably with Mighty Steed if it's not big enough) or an advanced wyvern.

SuperCracker
2010-08-02, 11:56 AM
Where is Mighty Steed at?