PDA

View Full Version : Ashmoor, A City in Turmoil [IC]

Pages : 1 [2]

Deadly
2010-09-18, 03:51 AM
Aaron gives Stergo an appreciative nod, then nimbly steps behind the dragonborn and fires a shot at the half-elf leader. "So good to see you, friends. Was getting a little ugly in here" he calls to Quinn and Affas over the din of battle

Shift to P8

Jinx Shot against half-elf leader.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

If I hit: Next time he misses an attack before end of my next turn he falls prone.

Also note that I gain +1 defences against O2 since he's bloodied. In case he decides to attack me.

MKnight
2010-09-18, 08:41 AM
Quinn

As Quinn approaches the main fight two of the enemies draw near to him. In response he strengthens the shadowy hold he has on one of the half-elf gang members. When they are all near he swings his spiked chain at the half-elf.

Fourth Round OOC
Free: 2nd Assassin's shroud on O3

Standard: Shadow Storm on O3
Hit:[roll0] vs. AC
damage:[roll1]

No minor or move.

Surrealistik
2010-09-18, 12:02 PM
Pressing the attack, Ghoster sidles north to a more advantageous vantage, taking a carefully aimed shot at the Half-Elf leader, the icy sliver scoring a solid hit as he escapes into the gloom.

Fourth Round Actions:
Minor Action: Reload crossbow.

Standard Action: Fleeting Spirit Strike vs Half-Elf Leader
Effect: Shift to F12.
Attack Roll: [roll0] vs AC (Combat Advantage)
Damage Roll: [roll1] (cold damage) + [roll2] (Sneak Attack) = 32 damage total.
Effect: Shift to F9.
Stealth Check: [roll3]

Move Action: Move to F6.
Stealth Check: See the OOC thread.

HeroComplex
2010-09-21, 02:29 PM
Stergo

As the enemies prepare to strike, Stergo unleashes a gout of flame from his roaring maw!

Dragon Breath
Against OL's Reflex - [roll0]
Against O2's Reflex - [roll1]
Hit: [roll2] fire damage.

Burning Spray
Dragonfrost
Dragonflame Mantle
Tearing Claws
Acid Claw
Dragon Breath
Second Wind
Lightning Breath
Winged Dagger Item Power
Feyswarm Staff Item Power

Emlyn
2010-09-21, 05:02 PM
Arron continues to dodge away, landing another arrow. However the leader refuses to let him slip away, his sword slipping through Arron's defenses once again. Seeing Arron's plight, Affas wades through the two half-elves and lands a devastating blow which also boosts the health of everyone nearby. Ghoster refocuses his aim and lands a devastating blow. Quinn's strike lands as well, the half-elf snarls in rage. The other elf by Arron follows his leader and continues the relentless assault against Arron.

Arron hits doing 12 damage to the leader

Leader hits Arron for 14

Affas uses Righteous Smite against O1, dealing 18 damage, everyone gains +8 temp hp

R1 hits Quinn for 11 damage

O2 hits Arron for 9 - 8 temp hp = 1

Arron's turn

Quinn: 33/33 hp, +8 temp hp
Strego: 38/39 hp, Dragon Magic, +1 defenses, +8 temp hp
Ghoster 40/40 hp, cover, +8 temp hp
Enemies
Arron:5/39 hp, marked by leader
Leader Bloodied
Affas: 46/46 hp

Map

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/warehouse9.png

Deadly
2010-09-21, 05:23 PM
Aaron grows increasingly annoyed at the two half-elves who won't stop hounding him. With a grim face he steps away once more and moves swiftly across the room to get further away before firing another shot at the leader "Will you just die already!"

Majestic Word on self: Spending a surge to regain 13 hp plus 4 temp hp. I also slide myself 1 square to O9

Then I move six squares south to O15

Jinx Shot against Leader

If I hit, the next time he misses me with an attack before my turn he falls prone

HeroComplex
2010-09-22, 09:01 AM
Stergo

I've had enough of this...

Standing tall and brandishing the tools of his trade, Stergo lets out a booming dragon's roar, shaking the panels tacked onto the sides of the warehouse, and knocking dust from the rafters.

"THAT'S ENOUGH! YOU!" he bellows, pointing at the last standing leader. "Think about what's happening here. You were set up! We're here to snuff you out. Courtesy of someone you know. That's how it goes around here. Lay down your weapons and call off your half-men, then we can talk about how you'll be leaving this building. Either on your feet, or as a cinder." To emphasize his point, Stergo directs the focus of his dagger at the half-elf, and as the dagger begins to shimmer with heat, the leader's temperature starts to rise. "Feeling warm, yet?"

Intimidate: [roll0] - Please add any circumstance bonuses I don't know about.

Readied Action: Burning Spray - Directed in a blast that only includes the leader, should he choose death.

Emlyn
2010-09-22, 05:41 PM
Arron's arrow is horribly off mark, but it gives him enough of a distraction to get away from the leader. He lets Arron run, and instead turns his attention to Strego and lands a devestating strike.

Arron misses

Leader hits Strego for 23 damage

Quinn: 33/33 hp, +8 temp hp
Strego: 23/39 hp, Dragon Magic, +1 defenses,
Enemies
Arron:18/39 hp, +4 temp hp
Leader: Bloodied
Affas: 46/46 hp

MKnight
2010-09-22, 09:41 PM
Quinn

With a smile on his face Quinn continues his attacks on the half-elf.

Fifth Round OOC
Free: 3rd Assassin's shroud on O3.

Standard: Shadow Storm on O3.
Hit: [roll0] vs. AC

Move: Shift to M14

No minor.

BTW: Let me know when O3 is bloodied because I have a magic item that gives me a little extra damage...

Surrealistik
2010-09-22, 09:55 PM
Observing that peaceable means have failed as Stergo takes a blade to the face, Ghoster demonstrates the half-elf's error first hand with another devastating attack.

Standard Action: Sly Flourish vs Half-Elf Leader
Damage Roll: [roll1] (cold damage) + [roll2] (Sneak Attack) = 22 damage total.
Effect: None.

Move Action: Move to F9.
Stealth Check: 29 See OOC thread.

HeroComplex
2010-09-23, 08:49 AM
Stergo

As the half-elf's blade finds purchase between his golden scales, Stergo lets out a bestial growl. "Fine! Have it your way!" he says through gritted teeth as he focuses his power back at the leader, unleashing another spray of flames.

Seizing the moment, Stergo moves to put his back against the wall.

OL takes 3 fire damage for attacking Stergo in melee after my previous burning spray.
Burning Spray vs. OL reflex
[roll0]
Hit: [roll1] fire damage.
The next enemy to hit Stergo in melee takes 3 fire damage.
Move: Shift to Q10

Emlyn
2010-09-23, 10:45 AM
Ghoster's arrow kills the half-elf, while strego's attack against the nearby guard is easily dodged. Quinn manages to bloody her target, the half-elf grimacing in pain. Affas smacks the last tiefling, nearly killing and drawing its attention.

Ghoster kills the leader

Quinn does 13 damage to O3, he's bloodied

Affas does 11 damage to R1

6 damage to Affas from R1

O3 crits against Quinn, dealing 12 damage

Everyone's turn

Quinn: 29/33 hp,
Strego: 23/39 hp, Dragon Magic, +1 defenses,
Enemies
Arron:18/39 hp, +4 temp hp
Affas: 29/46 hp

Map

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/warehouse10.png

Deadly
2010-09-23, 11:36 AM
Aaron is relieved as he's no longer being stabbed and skewered at every turn, pressing a hand against his bleeding guts and taking a deep breath to gather his strength again. Then, taking more careful aim, he lets fly an arrow at the half-elf bothering Stergo, before steping even further back and away from the fighting. "We have them now! Take them down!" he calls reassuringly to the others

Jinx Shot against O2

Move 6 squares south to O21

MKnight
2010-09-23, 02:21 PM
Quinn

While staring at his half-elf prey Quinn calls out "You've taken a beating there Aaron but rest assured their end is in sight." And with that he unleashes a devastating attack. He swings his spikes chain around his body several times and them abruptly stops the motion in front of him. A fraction of a moment later the half-elf reacts as several darts of coldness hit his body.

OOC
Free: 4th Assassin's shroud applied to O3

Move: shift to L15

Standard:(Here's where it gets ugly...)
Shadow Darts (Encounter) on 03
3 attacks:
Hit 1: [roll0] vs. Reflex
Damage 1:[roll1]

Hit 2: [roll2] vs. Reflex
Damage 2:[roll3]

Hit 3: [roll4] vs. Reflex
Damage 3:[roll5]

Extra damage: +5 (+3 for no enemies adjacent to 03 and +2 for bloodied)

Free: Burn Assassin's shrouds on 03.
3 of them will hit no matter what (rolling separate because of Brutal Shrouds)
[roll6] + [roll7] + [roll8]

the final shroud will hit if the power hit:
[roll9]
Edit: Reroll of final shroud in OOC thread: 3 damage

Surrealistik
2010-09-24, 12:18 PM
Ghoster goes about his business with characteristic professionalism, casually sniping the lone remaining tiefling with a streaking bolt of frost, the harrowing impact an apt preface to his words:

"Dunno who you think you're foolin', or what mad hope you're holdin' on to, but with your leaders both down, an' the rest of ya broken n' bloodied, seems to me it's about time you considered droppin' your weapons. Think you can persuade em Stergo 'fore I feel like takin' another shot?"

Before the Dragonborn can manage a reply, his elven comrade is gone, vanished amidst the shadows.

Sixth Round Actions:

Standard Action: Sly Flourish vs R1
Damage Roll: [roll1] (cold damage) + [roll2] (Sneak Attack) = 25 damage total (non-lethal!).
Effect: None.

Free Action: Stergo prompt (lol).

Move Action: Move to F6.

HeroComplex
2010-09-24, 03:45 PM
Stergo

Through the din and fire of the rage in his mind and his heart, Stergo is prompted back to his senses a bit by the shouts of the walking shadow.

"I want to tear every last one of you apart, but my colleague up there seems to think you've got just enough wits in those thick, feeble heads of yours to give it up. So this is it, your last chance. You give up now, or I won't rest until I see your ashes blowing in the wind."

Intimidate: [roll0]
Here goes!

Emlyn
2010-09-25, 03:07 PM
Quinn and Arron both kill their targets, leaving only the tiefling and one half-elf alive. They immediately throw down their weapons at Strego's words, niether has anything left to fight for.

Surrealistik
2010-09-25, 06:57 PM
"Smart move."

Rasps the elf, affixing his weapon to its rear harness. With a sudden lunge, Ghoster deftly rappels over the upper railing, landing onto the floorboards below with casual ease.

"Right then, let's get em all frisked n' bound. The interrogatin' we'll start once we get sleepin' beauty here up on his feet."

He gestures at the unconscious half-elf with a dismissive sweep of his hand.

"Think its best if we isolate 'n gag em, so they can't sync up a bunch of lies. We'll do the deed in one of the siderooms; Stergo looks primed to scare the hell out of em, and I'm of a mind to help."

The elf is quick to act on his own advice, taking special pains to search and disarm the subdued half-elf leader.

OOC:
Perception Checks (if necessary): See OOC thread

MKnight
2010-09-25, 08:39 PM
Quinn

"I'll take care of the front door. I'd hate to have any one come in uninvited."

And with that Quinn heads for the front door to wedge it shut.

Surrealistik
2010-09-26, 01:47 AM
"Take the corpses in while you're up there; we not lookin' to draw any more attention than we need to."

Calls out the elf.

Deadly
2010-09-26, 03:42 AM
Aaron follows Quinn, to help with the two corpses outside and to keep an eye out for uninvited visitors.

HeroComplex
2010-09-28, 10:27 AM
Stergo

Stergo sheaths his dagger and takes a moment to catch his breath. He then walks to the prisoners to slide their weapons away from them with his staff. He helps Ghoster secure the prisoners, letting a low growl out at the winces of pain that slip from them at the tension in their bonds. "Not a sound, from either of you. Until we start asking questions that is. It'll go easier for you if you're real chatty then." Once the prisoners are secure, he goes about gathering up all of the weaponry left lying on the floor and gives them a once-over, trying to decide if they're worth keeping.

What should I roll for identifying the items we've collected? Also, should I roll to help bind the prisoners?

Use 2 surges to get to full health.

HP: 39/39
Surges Used: 2
Burning Spray
Dragonfrost
Dragonflame Mantle
Tearing Claws
Acid Claw
Dragon Breath
Second Wind
Lightning Breath
Winged Dagger Item Power
Feyswarm Staff Item Power

Emlyn
2010-09-29, 11:06 AM
The work goes quickly and smoothly, soon the doors are blocked and the prisoners secured. Strego's investigation of the weapons turns up nothing, they are just simple steel weaponry.

MKnight
2010-09-29, 12:53 PM
Quinn

With a thorough final check of the exits complete Quinn meets back up with the main group.

"Well... this place is as secure as it can be. Let get's our business finished here and get out."

Surrealistik
2010-09-30, 12:40 PM
Ghoster relieves each of the gangsters and bodies of any valuable possessions as he finishes up disarming and securing the survivors with Stergo. With the looting concluded, the elf begins dragging his bound and gagged charges into one of the side rooms for interrogation.

MKnight
2010-09-30, 07:46 PM
Quinn

Ghoster drags one of the gang members away. After they are out of sight Quinn speaks to the other gang members saying:
"A bit of advice... tell him what he wants to know. He's not especially patient today."

Deadly
2010-10-06, 11:33 AM
Aaron remains where he can keep an eye on the outside, and where he doesn't have to take part in the questioning. He didn't much like all this tying people up and pretending like they may get to live if they just cooperate. And he certainly didn't like killing defenceless people. Not that he was particularly concerned about morals and all that, but it still seemed completely excessive and somehow wrong to him. And these lowly thugs probably don't even know anything worth asking them anyway he thought to himself as he gazed around in silence.

Finally, getting somewhat restless, he calls out "Will you hurry up in there? I would like to not linger here longer than absolutely necessary...". While waiting anyway, he takes the time to wrap up his wounds a little more carefully, humming a little tune to raise his own spirits

Spending a surge, regaining 9+4 hp

Surrealistik
2010-10-06, 11:51 AM
Ghoster awakens the Half-Elf leader with a firm slap across the face. The sniper's charge has been thrown into a dusty corner, the rough confines of the captive's bonds chafing painfully against his skin.

"Rise n' shine princess. Easier you make this for us, the easier we'll make this for you. Stay in line and I won't have to sic my 'associate' on anyone, and let me tell you, right now, he ain't in the mood for games."

Rasps the elf, as he makes an off-hand gesture towards the towering Dragonborn behind him.

"Listen, we were sent here to stir some **** up by that shifty broad Shade, take you 'n your boys down, I'm sure you know who I'm talkin' about."

He pauses, studying the prisoner's eyes for a glimmer of recognition.

"Luckily for you, thing is I personally don't trust the gal one iota, so how's about you tell me what you know about her that ain't a damned lie, and you and your boys can walk?"

Ghoster smiles as reassuringly as he can manage, the expression playing awkwardly on his features, as if it were entirely alien to his countenance.

"Of course, the alternative is that I can give you and your pals a livin' cremation. Hear burnin' alive is one of the worst ways to go personally, and I'm pretty sure you ain't lookin' to find out."

HeroComplex
2010-10-06, 12:01 PM
Stergo

Stergo stands imposingly behind Ghoster, pretending to only be paying a minute amount of attention. He snaps his fingers and begins rolling a small ball of fire the size of a marble between his fingers. At the mention of cremation, he locks eyes with the half-elf and smiles visciously. "You know, I'm not a one-hit wonder over here. I can do more than fire," he pauses dramatically for effect, "There's also ice, acid, lightning... I wonder what it'd be like to burn his innards out with his own stomach juices."

MKnight
2010-10-06, 08:17 PM
Quinn

With Aaron watching for unwanted guests Quinn goes in to room where the interrogation is happening. He opens the door and enters the room without speaking a word. He finds a spot to stand that leaves him in full view of the thug. As he waits he pays particular attention to the thug's verbal and non-verbal cues.

OOC Roll
Quinn studies the thug during the interrogation. Insight: [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-10-07, 08:12 PM
The half-elf looks at you with a mixture of fear and anger. His eyes shift from Ghoster, to Stergo, to Ghoster again. With a resigned sigh, he says, "That bitch set you on us? Figures, she would have her hand in this. Few years back she became the primary broker in the district, blackmailing all the local gangs to keep them in line and eating out of her hand. She's crafty too, everyone assumes she sells their secrets to the other gangs but you can't ever prove it. So you go to her and buy theirs just to keep your self safe. She palys the gangs off each other to keep them weak. The gangs hate her, so we were trying to group up to take her down. Course then you lot should up." Surprisingly the half-elf seems to be telling the truth.

Surrealistik
2010-10-07, 08:37 PM
Ghoster smirks at the acquisition of this new info; the half-elf's story was plausible, certainly believable, and rife with opportunity.

"Figures? Yeah. Could say that just about makes the most sense of anythin' I've heard all day. So what about the execution? How was this all gonna go down exactly, or did your boys not plan out that far ahead?"

Emlyn
2010-10-07, 10:19 PM
"We were two of the larger gangs around here and had been fighting for the past year. Figured if we could work together instead of fighting we could trick her and kill that whore."

Surrealistik
2010-10-08, 10:16 AM
Ghoster gives his head a terse shake.

"Yeah, that much I figured, I mean how were you gonna do the deed? What was the 'trick'? How'd you all plan on shivvin' her in the back?"

Emlyn
2010-10-08, 11:30 AM
The half-elf chuckles. "For one asking all the questions, your pretty daft. I already tolled you how she stays in power, playing us off each other. She's got no real guards, no protection. The only thing stopping us from storming the place is her getting wind of it and setting another gang up to capitalize on our aggression."

Surrealistik
2010-10-08, 11:50 AM
Ghoster manages a slight, wry smile at the Half-Elf's words.

"Little hard to believe she ain't got no real protection in a business as dangerous as her own save a bird's whisper n' a bunch of tentative alliances with people itchin' for a piece of 'er. That all there was to your bit? Just droppin' some misinformation then stormin' into her place bows blazin'?"

Another shake of his head, an incredulous scoff passing through his lips.

"Look, I met the broad in person. Between that, an' what I'm hearin' of her now, she's far too crafty to not have a plan for somethin' inevitable like this, so either you're holdin' out on me, or you're a damned fool for thinkin' it'd be so easy. Which is it?"

Emlyn
2010-10-08, 12:43 PM
"Hell if I know, I'm not the bigshot. I just did my part, meet with the tieflings and propose the alliance. Lot of good that's done."

HeroComplex
2010-10-08, 03:38 PM
Stergo

We've still got a job to do...

"What do you know about the magical weapons being brought into the Outcast? It doesn't seem like your two groups were benefiting from them either way," Stergo asks.

Emlyn
2010-10-09, 04:13 PM
"Shows how much you know. First of all, those items aren't coming in, there being smuggled out. That's where we come in. Makes a pretty tidy profit too. And before you ask, no I don't know who they are for."

MKnight
2010-10-09, 05:24 PM
Quinn

Quinn listens very intently when the half-elf begins to talk about the Magical weapons. He eyes him curiously.

OOC Roll
Another insight check as he discusses the magical weapons. [roll0]

Surrealistik
2010-10-09, 06:48 PM
"So what connection does this smugglin' business have to the Church of the Forsaken exactly? Hell, if you lot are runnin' this operation, you oughta know."

Emlyn
2010-10-10, 05:57 PM
The leader laughs again. "You really don't know anything do you? All of this is common knowledge on the street. Basically they are the ones who get them in, then have the gangs move the items to protect there rep and to keep us happy so we don't rob them."

Surrealistik
2010-10-10, 06:11 PM
"Who from? What's the source? See, my guess is Usef and his dirty little emporium, but I personally wouldn't mind somethin' in the way of confirmation."

Emlyn
2010-10-11, 11:05 AM
"Why should I know? I don't get paid to ask questions. Hell, I doubt even the leaders even know where its from. The church is rather stingy about its secrets."

Surrealistik
2010-10-11, 07:18 PM
"Beyond the gangs, what do you know of Shade's allies and enemies? Think she might be workin' with the government to keep a sort of 'order' 'n status quo goin' round these parts?"

Emlyn
2010-10-12, 11:39 AM
}Pfff. The only status quo they care about down here is that we don't rebel. Then they just send in about a division of soldiers with mages and start killing till they get bored. She's only looking out for her own skin, the same as everyone else who lives here."

Surrealistik
2010-10-12, 01:22 PM
"What defenses and traps can we expect to find in the smugglin' tunnels? Gonna want the position of access points too. Scrawl us a detailed layout. Here."

The marksman carefully unbinds the prisoner's hands, and passes him a wisp of parchment and pen.

HeroComplex
2010-10-12, 01:39 PM
Stergo

Stergo's burning gaze doesn't leave the prisoner as he's being untied. He prepares himself to launch an attack to subdue, if not kill him, should he try to escape.

MKnight
2010-10-12, 04:54 PM
Quinn

Quinn begins to more obviously display his spiked chain as the prisoner is untied and given the paper and writing instrument.

Emlyn
2010-10-12, 05:58 PM
"Sorry there, but that's not happening. The worst you can do is kill me, they'd do far worse."

Surrealistik
2010-10-12, 07:48 PM
"Who's they? The rest of your sorry little gang?"

The elf looses a coarse, rasping chuckle, his head panning with a slow, solemn shake.

"And if you think death is the worst we can do, well..."

He shifts off to the side, bringing Stergo's imposing stature into full view.

"Let's just say I know of a certain Dragonborne eager to correct this... unfortunate misunderstandin'. You may begin when ready Mister Stergo."

Deadly
2010-10-14, 09:25 AM
Aaron, getting impatient, jumps down from where he had been sitting and moves to join the others "Just get it over with, will you? The longer we stay here the greater the chance of someone dropping by unexpectedly. We do not want that."

Surrealistik
2010-10-14, 10:41 AM
"We were just finishin' up here, weren't we Stergo?"

The marksman thrusts his chin towards the bound half-elf.

Emlyn
2010-10-14, 01:52 PM
"As I've said, I aint telling you **** about that. You just don't know what your getting into. Kill me is you must, I've got nothing else to say."

HeroComplex
2010-10-14, 01:57 PM
Stergo

Stepping over to have a word with Ghoster, Stergo says in a quiet voice, "I think he's really said all he's going to say. Finish it if you must, or knock him out and let's get out of here. It's not like we've learned any more than we already knew anyway."

Deadly
2010-10-14, 02:10 PM
Aaron sighs and says quietly "We can't let him go. He'd tell everyone, and then we'd have all the gangs hunting us, and Shade would not be happy either and would probably turn against us too. Then what would we do? We can't leave any witnesses alive here. But at least make it quick."

Surrealistik
2010-10-14, 04:51 PM
Ghoster merely shakes his head at Stergo's intercession and turns back to the half-elf.

"Listen. Who's going to know you ratted this **** out? Even if they do somehow piece together we had insider info, which I doubt, what puts it down to you? Looks to me like it's all reward, no risk."

He shrugs offhandedly.

"And if you still wanna do things the hard way, I got a pint of oil 'n a flint with your name on it. Hell, maybe I'll even roast a buddy of yours or two in front of ya first before we really get started. For each refusal, another pal until we start scorchin' your choice bits. How's about that? Still think we ain't gonna do worse than death half-breed?"

Deadly
2010-10-14, 05:29 PM
Aaron sighs and rubs his temples "Someone sure is stubborn... I'm going to have a headache all day now"

He walks past Ghoster and kneels down in front of the half-elf "Look. The elf there doesn't get a hint, and he's probably going to keep on until we all start growing roots. But reality is this, that you're a dead man no matter what you do. You don't have to worry about what the gangs'll do to you, because you won't live to find out. Now, you can tell us what we want to know and you'll get a quick and merciful death. Or you can keep resisting and things will take a lot longer... we both want to avoid that, yes?"

Probably hopeless, but here's a diplomacy check, of all things

[roll0]

MKnight
2010-10-14, 07:18 PM
Quinn

Quinn moves out of his corner slowly and heads towards Stergo as the interrogation appears to be winding down. As Aaron makes his case with the prisoner Quinn pulls Stergo aside. "Look. Seems like if we were gonna waste this guy we'd have done it by now. Let's just knock him out and get out of here. If Shade has a problem we'll just say we missed one. We still did a fair bit of damage for her."

Emlyn
2010-10-14, 08:20 PM
"I have a better idea." Before Arron can react the half-elf lunges at him, putting him in a choke hold. "You try anything, I snap his neck." Arron can just breathe, but the elfs arms feel like a vice around his neck. "I walk out of here, get a short ways outside the building, and let him go. Nice and simple, no one gets hurt."

Deadly
2010-10-15, 10:06 AM
The half-elf's swiftness surprised Aaron. Feeling the half-elf's grip around his neck he gasped for breath, and yet he smiled. And before the half-elf could even finish his sentence, Aaron disappears, seemingly swallowed up by his cape. The half-elf is left with an armful of air.

"Wrong move, pal. But nice try" he says, appearing again at a safe distance, swiftly drawing his bow and and putting an arrow to the string.

HeroComplex
2010-10-15, 10:14 AM
Stergo

As Quinn takes Stergo aside, he takes his eyes off of the prisoner for a moment, and snaps them back as a flurry of motion occurs just on his peripheral. Instinctively, Stergo reaches out and releases the energies he had stored up, directed at the prisoner. Fortunately, Arron got out of the way as Stergo unleashes a gust of Dragonfrost at the half-elf, knocking him back against the wall.

Readied Action: Dragonfrost - [roll0] vs. Fort
Hit: [roll1] and push 1 square.

Emlyn
2010-10-15, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately Stergo's breath does far more then just knock him back. The half-elf's shocked expression is left frozen on his face. Your interrogation with the other prisoners proves fruitless, the know little more then they were to guard the two leaders.

Surrealistik
2010-10-15, 11:36 AM
In reaction to these events, Ghoster simply gives his head an impassive, terse shake and quietly stalks off to interrogate the next prisoner. Failing to discover any further information of consequence, he executes each of the gangsters with a thrust or slash to the chest, hands gloved, using the tiefling weapons on the half-elves and vice versa. With confirmation of their deaths, the marksman undoes their bonds and meticulously repositions the corpses to intimate a conclusion of mutual treachery.

Finally, the elf sets about soaking the bodies, and flammable supports with oil. After sneaking around the back, unjamming the doors, and retrieving his traps, he pours a trail out of the rear of the building towards the darkened interior of the closest alley. With the rest of the party clear of the derelict structure, he unceremoniously lights the spark that transforms the warehouse into a raging inferno.

Deadly
2010-10-15, 01:17 PM
Aaron blinks a little at the dragonborn's reaction, thankful that he got away in time. Feeling certain that the half-elf won't be moving anymore, he puts his bow and arrow away once more.

When it becomes clear that the other captives have no more information to offer, he simply turns around and walks out, leaving the cleanup to others. Returning to his spot where he can keep an eye on the surroundings, he waits.

Once everything is done, and the building set aflame, he gives it a last glance. "A little over the top... bloody hell" He frowns, but says nothing. The task was done and Aaron eager to put it behind him.

HeroComplex
2010-10-15, 02:41 PM
Stergo

Stergo seems a little surprised at himself as he sees the half-elf's death mask frozen to his face. Another among the dead by my hand... I hate this place. Externally, he just gives a resigned sigh and follows the group out of the warehouse.

As they regroup, Stergo restores his dagger to its hidden location in his robes and leans a little more heavily against his staff. "I hope it's clear by now, especially to those from outside Ashmoor, what I am and what it means," he intones, barely above a whisper, "Should the city guard find out, I'll be sure you're among the dead before they get to me. We are comrades in arms now. I expect you to honor that and hold your tongues."

Stergo gives a knowing look to Arron and begins making his way through the muddy streets.

Surrealistik
2010-10-15, 02:57 PM
Ghoster's face is suddenly seized by a strangely incongruous look of amusement, beshadowed features partially revealed by the roaring conflagration's hellish glow.

"One moment a death threat, the next we're 'comrades in arms'... heh."

Beyond that, he says nothing as the group begins the trek back to Shade's bar.

MKnight
2010-10-15, 09:05 PM
Quinn

As Ghoster takes care of the other prisoners and the rest of the group gets ready to depart Quinn slips into one of the side rooms. He secures his weapons and restores his equipment to its proper place. With a quick change he also restores himself to that of Quinn the merchant's son. Finding an old cloak amongst the meager possessions in the room he puts it on and prepares to rejoin the group.

"My. My. what a nasty business this Shade had us involved in. I hope it was worth it." He says to Stergo and Aaron.

He leaves the building and watches it begin to burn before turning in the direction of Shade's place and departing.

"And Stergo... we are comrades in arms because each has a secret that we'd care not be shared. I have a feeling things are going to get worse before they get better for us. We will need to stand together for all our sakes."

He looks over at Ghoster. "And no Ghoster don't worry... I'm not going to call for a group hug."

Deadly
2010-10-16, 03:59 AM
"Indeed" Aaron merely reponds with a nod at Quinn. He certainly hoped it had all been worth it, and had no intentions of letting anyone else know of anything.

Surrealistik
2010-10-16, 03:26 PM
Ghoster manages some peculiar off-semblance of a grin at Quinn's comment before drawing a cigar from his pocket, and lighting it against the slick of burning oil. Wedging it between his teeth, he draws deep on the tobacco and starts moving, the glow of his vice isolated against the gloaming dark. His stride is calm and measured, neither head nor wary eye once turning to regard the smoldering handiwork in his wake, footfalls steeped in silence.

Emlyn
2010-10-22, 06:52 PM
The warehouse burns cheerily while you head back to Shades. On the street people pay it little head, doing nothing more then walking on the other side of the street.
Back inside Shade's bar, the half-elf is greets you warmly. "It's good to see that you've returned, even more so that you were successful. Now, anything that you need to report?"

Surrealistik
2010-10-23, 12:01 PM
Ghoster takes a long, leisurely toke on his coffin nail before deigning a response.

"Had a bird on our shoulder huh? Figures."

He shrugs nonchalantly, and exhales a thick plume of brackish smoke.

"We went in there, did our job, and left no trace save some ash and blackened bones. Now, what've you got for us?"

Deadly
2010-10-23, 04:57 PM
Aaron feels a growing urge to turn around and walk away, if it wasn't because he was stuck with these people and their assigned task "As the blunt elf there said, we took care that noone got away and left signs to implicate other gangs, as you wished it. We are eager to hear what assistance you can provide us in return, however."

MKnight
2010-10-23, 05:45 PM
Quinn

Quinn cheerfully sits down at a table and motions over a drink for himself and his comrades. "With that nasty stuff out of the way, let's all have a drink and talk business now that our part of this pardon is done." He smiles and nods at Shade.

Emlyn
2010-10-24, 05:10 PM
"Indeed," Shade replies to Quinn's request. As the drinks are served, she turns to Aaron. "And I'd be happy to divulge thanks to your through work. Your charm is hardly a deterrent as well." She tilts her head at Ghoster and says slyly, "You should learn a thing or two about tact. Now," her demeanor turning to business. "You wanted information about The Church of the Forsaken. I assume this means you are interested in the movements of magical items. First of all, you may have learned that the gangs are involved with the transportation of them. However, the Church is were it all originates from. Now I don't know who they are supplying or where the items come from, if I did I'd either be dead or you wouldn't be needed. I do know that the keeper of records has a full knowledge of the plot, and its suspected the keeper of law does as well."

Surrealistik
2010-10-24, 10:41 PM
The stone-faced elf betrays no response to Shade's suggestion, though her reveal does prompt him to speech.

"Sounds like a pair I'd want to talk to."

He takes another puff and withdraws his cigar, tapping a smattering of ash off into an emptied stein, steely eyes level with the power broker's.

"Anything useful you can tell us about the layout and interiors?"

Deadly
2010-10-25, 04:06 AM
Aaron grins slightly at Shade's compliments. It's not something he's unused to. Being charming is something he has learned well, and put to good use before.

"Pleasantries aside. Seems like those two should be our main concern in this quest. I doubt we could just walk up to them and question them, and somehow I doubt it would be healthy for us to let them know of us at all. Perhaps the keeper of records has done his job in this case and recorded something, something we could steal from under his nose without being seen."

HeroComplex
2010-10-25, 08:25 AM
Stergo

Stergo listens to the conversations and tries to keep an eye on any of the other patrons who might be a little too attentive to their group.

Perception: [roll0]

MKnight
2010-10-25, 10:11 AM
Quinn

Quinn takes another sip of his drink.
"Hmmm. I see. Are there no other Keepers in charge there? Perhaps one not involved in the plot? If so could he be counted on for support should we need it? It would be nice to have someone on the inside already to aid us."

Emlyn
2010-10-25, 10:45 AM
"If you want the layout, all you need to do is stop by the church. They will be more then happy to show you around, especially if you offer your services. Four people who are fully capable of handling themselves would hardly go amiss. As for thievery, that could work, though finding the records in the library could be difficult. Now, there is another keeper but I don't recommend informing him of the other two's involvement. You would likely find yourselves in a world of trouble, with no easy way out."

Surrealistik
2010-10-25, 06:51 PM
Ghoster shakes his head, motions traced by a wake of noxious haze.

"You know what I mean; info specific to the smuggling tunnels and areas. Any intel you got on their defenses would also be welcome."

Emlyn
2010-10-26, 11:49 AM
"Defenses, ha, you really don't know this area to well do you? Let me clue you in, the church is the only thing keeping thousands from dying of starvation and disease. If you were to start a fight in there, this is how it would end. First of all you would contend with the guards inside the church. There aren't many, and maybe you could handle them. Then any gang members who were in the church would show up as well as anyone nearby who feels the need to stop you, which would be mostly everyone. Lastly every gang in the city would be out for your blood. So if you still are planning to start a fight, do me a favor and have Aaron stay here. I think we'd get along just fine." she smiles, sending a sly wink to Aaron. "As for layout, I can't help you there. The church is ancient, some say it was built near the founding of the city. A few such entrances have been discovered over the years but all of them lead to dead ends. The church had sealed all of them up."

Surrealistik
2010-10-26, 12:44 PM
"So, we're goin' in blind and violence ain't much of an option. Peachy. Suppose if worst comes to worst me n' Quinn could just disappear and cut loose, but that won't fly for the rest of the crew."

The vestiges of a grimace clamp down on the elf's stoogie.

"See, that's a little problematic. Thing is, we ain't just supposed to find out if they've got dirty hands. We're here to make em clean, by whatever means necessary. Guess diplomacy is our first and best option, and it's one I ain't too fond of; too unreliable, too many loose ends."

Deadly
2010-10-26, 01:27 PM
"I'm certainly not going to go start a fight with the church, so if that's the plan I might as well take you up on the offer of staying here" Aaron says with a smile. "Sadly we have this bothersome task to contend with. I say, if the church is eager for help, why not offer ourselves in their service? Get on the inside, gain their trust. Intrigue and espionage, sounds much more fun than fighting."

HeroComplex
2010-10-26, 02:43 PM
Stergo

"Perhaps we'll find that the situation is not at all as it appears," Stergo chimes in, "I've received charity from the church more than once in my time here in the Outcast. On the outside, they really do good here. They even put me in touch with my other associates. Perhaps we could go to the church as volunteers to repay some of the charity that's been received and help them further their mission. We might catch wind of where to go next."

Stergo's speech and tone clearly express that he's not talking with Shade. His eyes shift to the wench and he tone lowers even further, "It'd be good to get out of here sooner rather than later. This one's not really telling us much other than even the Outcast has corrupt bureaucrats."

Emlyn
2010-10-26, 03:46 PM
A peal of laughter escapes Shade. "Ahh Stergo, you have been in this place far too long. But you are correct, I really shouldn't beat around the bush so much, especially when I promised you help. Right then, if you are dead set on disrupting the trade here is what I would recommend. First of all you will need to get access into the church. That's easily taken care of, just walk right in. From there you will need to determine who their supplier is. Working for them is one option, otherwise you would need to break into their records. If you plan on doing that ask for a brother named John, tell him your a friend of Shades. He might be able to assist you. And if you can discover who the supplier is, might I suggest you take your findings back to the man you work for? He has a fair bit more pull and resources then you do."

HeroComplex
2010-10-26, 03:59 PM
Stergo

Stergo gives Shade a flat look. "Now was that so hard? And to your point, one day here is too long for anyone with a semblance of a soul. People like you, Shade," he says her name with disgust on his tongue, "Those who thrive and profit on our suffering, you're worse than any of those other animals in this sty. You could use your influence and power to make a difference and really change this city, instead, you sit in this place, pretending you're not just as bad off as the rest while you make it more terrible for us all. It's all a lie, and you're happy to be deluded if it numbs the pain. Tell me, Shade, when was the last time you slept a full night through since coming to this place? I know that I couldn't if I were you."

Emlyn
2010-10-26, 04:23 PM
Any trace of her previous mood vanishes in a flash. "You bastard!" she yells as she jumps to her feet, her glass shattering on the floor. The entire bar goes silent, all eyes are trained on the scene. "You dare come here and accuse me of profiting off of this? You, who like so many others claims I'm nothing but a stuck up little slut. Let me ask you something Stergo, what are the roles of women in this place? They have three choices, sell themselves as whores, waste their life away in a sweetshop or get lucky and be sold into slavery to the upper class. All the while hoping this isn't the day when they walk home where some drunk gang member decides to rape them. I got lucky and was thrust into this position and I gladly took it, because it might mean a few more years before someone would find my corpse in a back alley or some pig of a man would thrust himself upon me. I'm living on borrowed time, I've known it since I was born. How long do you think I can keep all the gangs off my back? But let me tell you something, you see all these people sitting here? Did you ever stop to look at who they are? No, because you immediately tucked them away into your little categories. She's a whore, he's nothing but a thief, that ones probably both. Well let me tell you something, each person here is here because someone outside these walls wants them dead through no fault of their own. You say I've helped no one, they beg to differ. Who have you helped Stergo? Who have you saved from this place? Or have you done nothing but helped secure the power of the gangs in their little power games. And you call me a whore." she shakes her head in disgust. Then, the fire still blazing in her eyes, she clamly says, "Get out, of my bar."

Surrealistik
2010-10-26, 05:34 PM
Ghoster calmly produces and opens a flask of oil, pouring out a tiny quantity into its detached lid, contents made aflame with struck flint. Relighting his stub on the open blaze, he deftly smothers the dying fire and looks towards Shade.

"Look, I ain't much of a diplomat, but it seems obvious to me that everyone just needs to calm down and get back to drinking, Stergo included. Some bad assumptions were made n' acted on and in the big guy's defense, it seems like he's got his reasons for em."

He shrugs, embers of his cigar aglow with respiration.

"Whatever the case, you're probably the best resource we got 'round these parts and it'd be a damn shame to have somethin' silly like this come between us, so let's just drop it, n' get on with our workin' relationship."

The elf's last toke draws the roll down to a nub, prompting a rasping cough as he exhales.

"Besides, this ain't no one way street, and as a strike team we ain't too shabby. Far as I can tell, we probably bought you another year back at that warehouse."

With a detached flick, the remnants of his smoldering vice find their way into the vacant stein.

Deadly
2010-10-27, 04:49 AM
Aaron sighs deeply and looks like he dreams about bashing his head against a good, solid wall "Of all the stupid..." He gives Shade an apologetic look "I am truly sorry. I hope you can forgive, if not the bile-breathing dragon there, then those of us who are not so blind or quick to judge. Don't take my association with him to mean I share his views, I assure you I follow not of my own free will." He bows his head and stands "But I shall leave if you desire."

Don't know if diplomacy is needed... probably, so here's a roll [roll0]

Please be good, dice god

MKnight
2010-10-27, 06:46 AM
Quinn

"Well, dear lady, I would need to apologize for myself." He nods over to Stergo and says "I must admit I too shared many of the sentiments of Mr. Stergo. But as you well know I have no personal experience with this city's life nor any associated part of my own city. But listening to your words has given me pause. I had not stopped to consider the larger issues in play here. Please... let us continue our working relationship and as Mr. Ghoster says perhaps our efforts can gain you and those around you a bit more time."

HeroComplex
2010-10-27, 09:31 AM
Stergo

Stergo's temper flares, but he fights to keep himself under control. "Is it outrage or shame that fuels your anger, Shade? Are you mad because of what I said, or scared that it might be true? You who holds such influence as to be safe in the middle while you burn the candle at both ends." Stergo lowers his voice, "If you want to do more than just survive this existence, consider what could be done if you would unite the gangs. You profit off of the infighting, and it's given you power, influence, safety. You could use all that, sacrifice it all, for a shot at real freedom. Yet instead you sit here."

Turning to the other patrons Stergo says, "You all sit here and drink your wine and play your high and heady games. If you're tired of the fear, try doing something about it."

Hearing his party's replies, Stergo just shakes his head. They just don't know the meaning of Outcast, except this one... he should know... As he turns to leave, Stergo gives a brief, disappointed look at Arron. The Deva really should know better...

As he departs, he glares at the bouncers, making sure to keep them from getting any ideas about making his exit any less dignified.

Emlyn
2010-10-27, 10:55 AM
Shade stares long and hard at Ghoster, her gazing boring into him. Aaron's words give her pause, and slowly she regains her chair. She says nothing to Stergo's words nor to his departure. The bouncer's meet his gaze, but instead of mocking there is respect there. When Stergo is gone, she finally addresses the group. Her voice has regained its familiar smooth flow, but cracks appear every now and again."Now that he's gone, let us continue. First of all Ghoster, let me make it abundantly clear that I didn't need you. I could have easily taken care of that situation by myself. However, I was asked to have you tested, so that any issues with the group could be resolved before you got in over your heads. However this does not mean I won't help you, on the contrary I owe him far to much to refuse this request. But for now I've given you all the information I have at the moment. If you find anything else from your investigation and need some help, my door is still open to you. Stergo may even return next time if he promises to keep a civil tongue."

HeroComplex
2010-10-27, 11:25 AM
Stergo

As Stergo heads out the door he begins walking toward the Bronze Mug, but doesn't get too far before he comes stomping back. No, Stergo. No time to 'quench the fire'. This is bigger than your petty needs. Besides, I've got to figure out how they found me out... or neutralize the threat of it... that sounds like more fun...

Stergo continues his internal monologue until the others come out, and when they do, they'll find a slightly out-of-place smug smile on his face and a scheming glint in his eye.

MKnight
2010-10-27, 02:01 PM
Quinn

"I'll go talk to him" and with that Quinn walks out of Shade's place.

Thinking that finding Stergo was going to be much harder Quinn is surprised to see him just a short distance away. "What is that look for?" Quinn thinks to himself on seeing Stergo.

"Look Stergo... like I said... I don't know much about a place like this but they way I figure it people are just scared. They can't all be heroes. I'm guessing they've seen enough of them fall anyway. It's easier to just sit in a quiet place and do nothing because at least they are alive. Maybe we'll be the next group of heroes to fall or maybe... we're the heroes that inspire that part of them that wants to fight for freedom."

Emlyn
2010-10-27, 02:34 PM
"Oh, before you go, could you stay a minute Aaron?" Shade asks, her tone making it quiet clear that the rest should leave.

Deadly
2010-10-27, 02:42 PM
Aaron nods and takes his seat again. He had been waiting for the others to finish here so he could get a brief talk with Shade himself, so this was just fine with him.

HeroComplex
2010-10-27, 02:49 PM
Stergo

Stergo withdraws from his internal reverie with a start and looks at Quinn. "You're right, Quinn. You're not from here. Do you know why Ashmoor has such a low crime rate? It has no prisons, not in the traditional sense. You're standing in the prison. Except it's not only a crime to kill, steal, or mame, but for being different or speaking out. This isn't a new place. It's old. Almost as old as the city itself. Those of us here are not the first generation here. There are children, mostly kept in hiding. They committed no crime. Their parents may not have either. They deserve better than that wench and her lackeys."

Stergo sighs as he continues, "I know we all just do what we must to get by. I'm a mercenary most of the time. It's afforded me the opportunity to survive, but I'm a walking dead man outside of this place. Unless something changes, the city guard will kill me on sight if they see me 'working' for violating the Mage Guild's prohibition on unregistered magic users. But I can't get registered, because I'm Outcast.

We could really change things if we came together, but too many of these people are so wrapped up in their petty squabbling for power that they miss it. And I think the upper classes are perpetrating it. Stirring up trouble here, so we don't focus our efforts to upset their status quo."

He waves his clawed hand at the shapeshifter, "I'm sorry for going off like that, but I just feel like we don't really have to live like this. While this weapon trade we're looking into may be illegal, I can't help but wonder if this isn't another way to keep the Outcasts down."

Surrealistik
2010-10-27, 04:27 PM
Ghoster meets Shade's glare with dead, emotionless eyes, failing to deign even the slightest reaction to her blustering glower.

"Well, if it was all a test, looks like we gone n' passed with flyin' colours. That you can handle yourself don't make my words any less true; ain't said you need us, I said you can benefit from us."

He tilts his head to the side, right shoulder rising to bristle his sideburns in a semblance of a half shrug.

"But I guess it don't matter if you're only helpin' out 'cause you got some debt to pay. Suppose I wasted my breath."

The elf looks towards Aaron, then back to Shade, his cold gaze entirely unchanging as it jaunts between the pair.

"And if there ain't nothin' else to tell, suppose I'll go n' leave you to your manmeat."

With a subdued clack, the marksman recaps his flask and unceremoniously heads out into the night.

Emlyn
2010-10-27, 05:48 PM
Once Ghoster has left, Shade's warm smile returns. "Lovely group of people your traveling with, but at least they are capable. Anyway, I can tell you have something you wish to share as well, but I must speak first. Ah, thank you." she says as a new glass of wine is given to her. Taking a long sip from it, she sighs contentedly. "I don't profess to have had any knowledge of you before this day, a pity I might add, more so because of some information I've been holding onto. Several weeks ago I was tipped off about a cult that had moved into a section of the district not far from here. I mentioned it to Cadvan as he likes to keep on top of these things. To my surprise he informed me that finding out what they were up to was a top priority. Long story short I infiltrated the group and began poking around. I learned many things, but here is the part of interest for you. That night, the leader of the cult briefly brought forward a young girl, about your age in fact. But it wasn't a girl he claimed, she was a deva. The strange thing was that she didn't seem to be there, like her mind was elsewhere. I immediately reported this to Cadvan, but by the time he had a strike team there the group had left. Being a Deva, I thought you'd be interested."

Deadly
2010-10-28, 04:42 AM
Way to mess with poor Aaron... :smalltongue:

Just a reminder to everyone that Aaron doesn't (yet) know that he's a deva. And it's not very apparent from his appearance. Shade would probably know regardless, of course.

"Capable of giving me a headache, yes" Aaron mutters at Shade's comment on the group. He sips his own drink and listens quietly to her tale.

As she speaks his expression turns from hopeful surprise at the mention of a girl his age, to disappointment that she was a deva, and finally to confusion. "I uh... I am not sure I follow. I had a sister, twin sister in fact, who disappeared suddenly some two years ago. I have been looking for her ever since, although I've come to fear what I would find. That was what I was about to ask you about, I hoped you might have seen or heard something." He pauses, looking hopeful again "Perhaps this cultist was wrong about the girl being a deva? Maybe he was just deranged. You wouldn't have brought this up if you didn't think it concerned me somehow, after all."

Emlyn
2010-10-28, 10:46 AM
Now its Shade's turn to look confused, an expression of shock comes over her as Aaron talks. "You don't, he never... wow. I had no idea that you didn't know. I know this is going to sound crazy, but your a Deva. Cadvan informed me of this when he gave the rundown on each of you. But that was your sister? I'm so sorry Aaron."

Deadly
2010-10-28, 11:08 AM
Aaron just sits and stares at Shade without saying anything for a while, then apparently realises that he's not being particularly polite and turns his gaze down "I... you're joking?" He looks up again as if to confirm, then shakes his head when it's clear that she's not in fact joking "But our parents... they were both humans. I'm... I think I'm sure of that, I don't know what to believe NOW. It would explain why the sodding hell Lycia and I were thrown into this cesspool in the first place..." He holds a hand up to his mouth suddenly "Sorry, my tongue slipped. They didn't even have the decency to tell us the reason we had to live here." He sighs "And now she's gone... who knows where, or what that man has done to her" he clenches his fists and his face grows somber at the thought

Emlyn
2010-10-28, 11:21 AM
"I'm sorry," she says, her voice barely above a whisper. She gently puts on arm on Aaron's shoulder and says, "This world is so full of hate and intolerance to what's different. And we pay the price for it." the bitterness in her own words gives her pause and she takes a deep breath. "But there's still hope for her, I know Cadvan has been looking for her and when you finish this task I'm sure he'll share any information he has."

Deadly
2010-10-28, 11:30 AM
Aaron sighs deeply, the idea of having to wait in this matter not at all appealing to him. He would much rather jump up and run off to find Lycia, if he only had a clue where to begin and didn't suspect such rash actions would just get him killed... or worse "All the more reason to get the job done, then."

Emlyn
2010-10-28, 11:33 AM
"Indeed. But you had something you wished to ask of me?"

Deadly
2010-10-28, 11:37 AM
"Actually, that was it. Almost like you read my mind there" he chuckles, though it's a little hollow after these news "I want thank you for telling me, regardless. I have been searching for her for two years, and not many have been helpful. So, thank you."

Emlyn
2010-10-28, 11:42 AM
"Its the least I could do for one such as yourself." she says, her smile back and her jovial attitude as well. "Now run along and catch up with your companions, who knows what problems they'll get themselves into without you. Just don't forget that I've helped you Aaron, who knows when I may need it myself."

Deadly
2010-10-28, 11:49 AM
Aaron smiles "I won't" then stands up, bows slightly and goes to meet up with the others again.

As he comes out his face turns somber again "Let's find this church then. See where it all leads to."

Surrealistik
2010-10-28, 02:54 PM
Ghoster leans against the bar's facade by himself, silently waiting for the others to finish conversing, his disguise evidently reapplied at some unseen interval.

MKnight
2010-10-28, 07:06 PM
Quinn

Still speaking to Stergo...
"Hmmm. From what you've said perhaps you're right. The government here seems very much in control and has a heck of alot of information. I'm not even from this city and they seem to know quite abit about me."

He shakes his head.
"I guess we have to play along for now but maybe as we proceed with this mission some opportunities will present themselves where we could do some good here... some lasting good that is. Like I said before, we are united. Even Ghoster... though I think he would deny it or shrug it off."

Quinn offers an optimistic handshake to Stergo...

HeroComplex
2010-10-29, 08:49 AM
Stergo

Stergo nods resignedly and reaches out to clasp Quinn's arm. "We'll see what we'll see."

With that he turns and faces the others who've joined them, "So, what else did the banshee have to say?"

Surrealistik
2010-10-29, 03:46 PM
The elf simply motions towards Aaron with a slight tilt of his head.

Deadly
2010-10-29, 04:36 PM
Aaron sums up what little she said with a rather passive voice "Nothing all too exciting I assure you. Only that she's in contact with our 'employer', and that our little excursion to the warehouse was merely a test. I suppose we passed. She may be able to help more if we get our hands on some more information. Oh and you're still welcome inside if only you'll stay civil. I think that sums it up."

MKnight
2010-10-29, 07:28 PM
Quinn

"So. The church then. How do we play this? Pose as Volunteers? The needy?"

Deadly
2010-10-30, 06:58 AM
"I suggest we volunteer. It'll get us in and into a position where we can better see what options are available to us, and perhaps even learning a little of what is actually going on."

HeroComplex
2010-11-02, 10:57 AM
Stergo

"I vote for volunteering. Either way, we'd better get going toward there before it gets too late in the day."

MKnight
2010-11-03, 07:14 AM
Quinn

"Agreed. How much further is the church?"

As they proceed to the church Quinn makes preparations by making sure his weapons are properly concealed. Slowly as they walk his hair length begins to grow and slightly change color. His skin becomes more pale and he's a bit more round in the middle. Having fun with the changes he thinks "I wonder if anyone noticed. HeHe."

Surrealistik
2010-11-03, 01:31 PM
Ghoster meticulously checks over his gear and weaponry before turning his attention to the group.

"Let's get movin'. Sooner we get this over with, the better."

Deadly
2010-11-03, 05:09 PM
Aaron nods and begins heading towards the church, feeling no need to say anything more for now.

Emlyn
2010-11-04, 01:55 AM
From Shades bar to the church is a surprisingly long walk thanks to the convoluted roads. At least you arrive safely. As you approach the church you see a long line of people stretching out from its door. At the large double doors several greeters meet each person and usher them inside, offering directions so their needs can be attended to. No guards are in sight, but nor are there any gang members. The church itself is a huge, looming, building made out of black stone. Branching off to the right is a large wing while off the left is a large structure the size of the main church. Rising above the entire complex is a bell tower.

Deadly
2010-11-05, 05:16 AM
Aaron had seen it before so it wasn't much new to him, although it had always amazed him that something like this could run at all. He sure would love to know their secret. "I assume we're just going to take a spot in the line and wait, unless any of you have other plans?"

MKnight
2010-11-05, 06:51 AM
Quinn

"Probably would be the pious thing to do. We don't want to draw unnecessary attention to ourselves. We can just wait in line til our turn comes and then offer our services where the needs arise.... or something like that. Right?"

HeroComplex
2010-11-05, 08:32 AM
Stergo

Stergo ponders the situation a moment, recalling days when he was so hungry he could barely stand in the line to get food.

"I think they have an entrance around back for workers, assistants, and the like to come and go without pushing through the crowd. We should probably check back there."

Deadly
2010-11-06, 05:28 AM
Aaron nods "Then let's do that" and heads around the church to find said entrance

Emlyn
2010-11-08, 12:30 PM
Stergo's memory was indeed correct, around the side you find the door used by the brothers. The brother outside the door greets you as you approach and says, "Good day to you, may I assume you are here to offer your services?"

HeroComplex
2010-11-08, 12:36 PM
Stergo

Stergo steps forward. "We are. Some have come out of the kindness of their hearts. Some, like me, have come to repay their debt. We are skilled," he glances back over the group, And we are able. How may we help?"

MKnight
2010-11-08, 06:40 PM
Quinn

Quinn smiles and gives a simple nod to the brother.

Surrealistik
2010-11-08, 11:17 PM
Ghoster casts his eyes elsewhere, subtly appraising his surroundings with his usual wariness, head making slight, innocuous pans and turns as he looks surreptitiously about, taking care not to betray his vigil.

Emlyn
2010-11-10, 02:24 PM
"Well, you do appear to be able to handle yourselves. Please, come on in and I'll introduce see you are introduced to the keeper of law of community. I'm sure he can find work for you." He ushers you inside and down several corridors. Soon you are brought into a large office, before you sits the keeper of community. The brother quickly introduces you as people looking to help and leaves. "So, you are looking to help. While I'm grateful for the offer, I must confess to be curious as to your reasons. After all, you aren't exactly typical residents here."

Deadly
2010-11-10, 05:00 PM
"Some of us are from around here" Aaron says "and your church has done much to help us where others would turn us down, so it is easy to feel we owe a debt."

Emlyn
2010-11-12, 01:21 AM
"That is true, though an elf is still a very rare thing. But I would not refuse help based on race, that goes against everything we stand for. Idle curiosity, nothing more. But as for work, there is always plenty available. The kitchen could use servers, our clerics can always use people running errands, and then there's." He's interrupted by a man striding into the office. His cloak, a deep crimson identifies him as another keeper, most likely that of order. He quickly scans the group, and appearing satisfied says, "Excuse my interruption, but I was informed a rather peculiar group had volunteered to help. Finding myself rather short handed right now and seeing as how they appear to be quiet capable I'd like to request their assistance."
"By all means, I admit it would have been difficult for me to find something well suited to them."
"Good, then are you interested? I won't lie, there will be a fair bit of danger if you agree to help." he asks.

MKnight
2010-11-12, 12:14 PM
Quinn

"Danger you say." Quinn tilts his head to the side with a quizzical look. "That sounds interesting. But what danger could there be at a church helping the poor?"

OCC
insight check on his answering. [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-11-13, 02:22 PM
"We are the only place in the distract that has food and medicine in any sort of supply. Though we give it out freely, there are those that would rather control it themselves. Protecting these supplies is were I need help."

Deadly
2010-11-13, 04:04 PM
"Tell us what you need, then. Danger there may be, but hopefully we can do some good."

Emlyn
2010-11-14, 04:14 PM
"Please come with me then, I don't wish to detain the Keeper any longer."
He ushers you out of the room and begins leading you down the halls. As you walk he begins to explain. "We receive weekly shipments of food and sporadic shipments of medical supplies from donors throughout the city and beyond. My problem is that we just received word of an unexpected shipment of medicine. While this is a great thing, I don't have anyone capable of escorting it back here. With any luck no one will have heard about it and it will be a simple task to grab the supplies and return. The danger lies in a gang attempting to seize them for their selves. So will you help?"

Deadly
2010-11-15, 04:38 AM
Aaron nods "Sounds straight forward enough. Any other details we should be aware of? Any particular gangs to look out for, perhaps?"

MKnight
2010-11-15, 07:44 AM
Quinn

Quinn stands tall and with puffed out chest says: "Yes. Any information you can spare and then point us in the right direction. We will make sure this medicine arrives safe and sound so that it can be distributed to people in need."

HeroComplex
2010-11-15, 05:17 PM
Stergo

Stergo goes along with the group, nodding his agreement to assist. "I'm sure we'll all be glad to help. Escorting anything through the district is no mean feat, but I think we'll be able to handle it."

Surrealistik
2010-11-15, 11:12 PM
Ghoster nods vaguely, maintaining his silence.

Emlyn
2010-11-17, 04:13 PM
"That is good to hear, I'll take you to a guide who can get you there. As for the gangs, you'll pass through at least six of their territories. However, only about two or three of them might give you any trouble. Honestly I'm not as up to date as I'd like on the area, I hadn't expected a shipment for at least two more weeks. With the gangs always being in flux it doesn't pay to gather information until it's closer. Ahh, here we are." You've been brought to the storage area and processing for all the supplies that the church receives. Sorting through some papers is a half-elf, though he is not wearing the robes of the brotherhood. Speaking to the him, the keeper says, Flin, I've found a group to escort the packages."
Looking up in surprise, a grin quickly spreads across his face. "Well that's great news! No time to waste then, let's be off."
A very long walk later, you are inside a warehouse on the opposite side of the district near the outer wall. Inside its dark, rotting, and dusty, so fairly typical. He leads you back into a side room near the back and uproots several floor boards to revel three small crates. Placing them all on the floor, he takes one of them. "Alright, two of you need to carry a crate on the way back. Keep in mind they are rather heavy and will weigh you down."

Two people will need to carry a crate. Carrying the crate reduces your speed by 1 and attack by 1. Additionally I need your marching order, how you'll be walking.

Deadly
2010-11-18, 10:39 AM
Aaron follows along silently. He greets Flin, but has nothing else to say as they make their way through the district to the warehouse.

Looking at the crates and then at the others he considered the situation "None of us are terribly good without our hands free should it come to a fight, so I don't see it matters greatly who exactly takes a crate. However, perhaps Ghoster and I should have our hands free, since we both prefer to keep a distance and would like to be able to move more freely. Also, Ghoster and I have good eyes, so I suggest Ghoster walks in the back, and then I'll take the front. That way we can best look out regardless of whether we are attacked from the front or the back. We can also better protect the two who carry the goods that way."

HeroComplex
2010-11-18, 11:18 AM
Stergo

Stergo agrees to take a crate, and is sure to hold it in a manner that will make it easy to drop if necessary. "Couldn't we just put the contents into a pack? It'd be much easier to carry." He sets down the crate rather roughly, attempting to gauge exactly what's in the box. He begins to pry one of the lids open in an attempt to begin unloading the contents into a sack.

Perception: [roll0]- to figure out what's in the crate by sound or weight or the like.
Insight: [roll1]- to gauge Flin's reaction to an attempt to open the box.
Athletics: [roll2]- to pry the lid off the box
Bluff: [roll3]- to not be obvious about intent to discover nature of the contents

Emlyn
2010-11-18, 11:54 AM
Flin cries out in alarm when he see's Stergo staring to open the crate. "No, stop! You can't open them! Some of the medicine is quiet fragile and is specially packed to prevent it from breaking while being carried."

MKnight
2010-11-18, 07:30 PM
Quinn

"Sounds good to me. I'm in need of a bit of exercise." Quinn pats his belly. "Up you go then." He grabs the box and finds holding spots that make it as comfortable as it can be.

Seeing the reaction of Flin after Stergo attempts to open the crate Quinn gives a sideways glance to Ghoster. Hmmm. He thinks to himself. The medicine is that fragile is it? Not likely. Wonder whats in the crate?

Surrealistik
2010-11-18, 08:05 PM
Ghoster reciprocates Quinn's glance with a knowing half smile as he exploits Stergo's distraction with practiced opportunism to confirm what he already knows.

Thievery Check to surreptitiously open and examine the box's contents: See OOC

MKnight
2010-11-18, 10:03 PM
Quinn

Sensing the direction Ghoster seems to be going Quinn moves closer to Flin and Stergo. "My... this crate is heavy. Can't quite seem to get it in a good position." To Flin he adds "Good sir. Could you help me out?" Hope this distraction helps he thinks.

OCC Roll
Bluff check to see if my distraction helps Ghoster. [roll0]

Deadly
2010-11-19, 06:01 AM
"Dear lord..." Aaron sees where this is going and speaks up, trying to get the attention of his friends before they get too far in the execution of their current plans "Excuse me, can I please talk with you three for a second?"

He tries to make the question sound casual, as if it's just something unrelated he needs to discuss. He's not going to jeopardize anything by actually intevening, but he's hoping they will listen before they do what he sees as rash and extremely dangerous.

Seeing that they seem intent on continuing, he casually steps up closer to Stergo to provide a bit of added cover for Ghoster.

Emlyn
2010-11-19, 10:16 PM
Though Flin is quite occupied with Quinn, Ghoster isn't able to discern much more then Stergo. To be able to see more then what's on the top he'd have to riffle through the crate.

HeroComplex
2010-11-23, 05:06 PM
Stergo

Stergo gives Ghoster a quick look and a nod to knock off what he's doing. Hefting his crate up onto his back with a makeshift pack, he turns to Flinn.

"Well, I guess we'll be going. We've got quite a ways to go."

He begins moving toward the door hoping to have given Ghoster enough time to wrap up his search.

MKnight
2010-11-24, 07:51 AM
Quinn

Having now had Flin finish helping Quinn with securing the crate he says: "Thank you Flin. I think I've got it. As Stergo suggests we have a long way to go. We best be off and hope we don't run into any trouble."

Surrealistik
2010-11-24, 01:26 PM
With the cursory probe appearing to be inconclusive, Ghoster deftly reverses his handiwork and steps away from the crate, transitioning seamlessly into a ritual examination of his equipment as he waits on the others to ready and depart.

Deadly
2010-11-28, 04:20 PM
As the others appear to be ready, Aaron leads the way back out, intending to walk up front as he suggested - since noone objected.

Emlyn
2010-12-04, 11:57 PM
Still none the wiser to your plans, Flin takes one last look around the warehouse and then leads you all outside. It doesn't take long for things to go horribly wrong. Ghoster just manages to catch a glimpse of the first archer and call out a warning before the first arrows come raining down on the group. Behind you thugs move in to cut off your retreat, while another group comes out of an ally in front of you. "Quick, take the side ally." Flin exclaims.

Map

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/ambush.png
Not shown are the seven thugs that are at the entrance to the ally, 20 squares behind you. You can't see down either ally to determine if there are any more enemies.

Parties turn

Deadly
2010-12-05, 03:47 AM
Aaron grabs an arrow and fires a single swift shot at the nearest archer, while he sets off towards the corner to the nearest alley, hoping it is clear. "I don't think we want to hang around here"

Jinx Shot on purple #3

Move to G11

HeroComplex
2010-12-07, 06:11 PM
Stergo

Stergo hefts his load and books it for the alley entrance.

Initiative: [roll0]
Stergo has a speed of 6 (minus whatever for his load) place him as close to the center of the party headed toward the alley after taking a double run.
Thanks!

MKnight
2010-12-07, 08:23 PM
Quinn

Seeing the many enemies around them Quinn too makes for the alley suggested by Flin. "Oompf" he says as he tries to run while carrying his crate.

OOC
Quinn's move is 6. Move him as far down the alley as possible given his load.

Surrealistik
2010-12-07, 08:42 PM
At once recognizing the deadly gravity of his situation, Ghoster bolts down the side ally with incredible alacrity, promptly vanishing behind any discernible cover.

Move Action: Run to G10.
Move Action: Run to -C11 (off map, not C11).
Stealth Check: [roll0] (Can hide in cover or concealment, includes -5 penalty for running due to Cunning Sneak)

Emlyn
2011-01-05, 07:09 PM
As the party flees down the side ally the thugs take off in pursuit. The one Arron shot at, but missed, takes a swing at him but it's off as well. The archers have a hard time hitting the fleeing party, but one arrow manages to sink itself into Stergo's shoulder.

Map

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/alley5.png

5 damage to Stergo
Ghoster is stealthed
Parties turn

Deadly
2011-01-06, 06:03 AM
Aaron runs down the alley at full speed, ignoring the thugs for now.

Double-run, 16 squares to G11

Surrealistik
2011-01-06, 02:37 PM
Ghoster briefly takes aim at the nearest bowman, loosing a quick pot shot as he continues sprinting down the grimy alley, vanishing round the corner, back pressed firm against the dilapidated wall. Pausing momentarily, he makes to reload his weapon, and ready himself for another strike.

Standard Action: Deft Strike vs Purple #3
Effect: Move 2 squares to M11 from O11.
Damage Roll: [roll1] (cold damage) + [roll2] (Sneak Attack) = 25 damage total.

Move Action: Move 7 squares to G10 from M11

MKnight
2011-01-06, 09:43 PM
Quinn

With a look of panic on his face Quinn runs down the alley lugging the crate with him. He makes it to the end and begins to hang a right.

Double move from R12 to F10.

HeroComplex
2011-01-10, 11:53 AM
Stergo

Stergo stumbles slightly as the arrow strikes home. With a grimace and a grunt, he catches himself and continues at his breakneck pace trying his best to keep up with the group.

Double move to H11 to survey what's around the next corner.
Minor: [roll0] Perception

Emlyn
2011-01-27, 10:25 PM
Ghoster easily drops another of the archers with his quick turn and just narrowly dodges the return shot from the other one. Rounding the alley corner the it quickly becomes apparent that you've hardly escaped. Three thugs rush out of the alley above and catch Quinn by surprise.

10 damage to Quinn

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/alley7.png

Parties turn

Deadly
2011-01-28, 06:44 AM
Aaron looks around, stopping in his tracks at the sight of the overwhelming number of thugs. He then breaks out in a quick but effective rhyme, attempting to direct everyone to increase the group's chances. "Bunch them up! Get them together!" He calls, as a glimmer of hope forms in his mind.

Aaron at 31/39 hp, if my count is right

Now's the time I really wish I had an action point.

Concerted Effort (burst 10). The entire party gain +1 to attacks until end of my next turn. Whenever one hits an enemy, the bonus increases by +1 for each ally who hasn't acted yet.

MKnight
2011-01-28, 07:52 AM
Quinn

Rounding the corner Quinn is surprised to see the three thugs on him in an instant. "Damn. Three more of them" he barks out to let the rest of the group know. Just as he does they rush him and he staggers back momentarily from their attack.

"Can't be helped" he thinks to himself and draws upon his shadow powers to change his appearance to that of his Assassin persona. While dropping the crate to the ground he reaches for his spiked chain and swings for all his might against the thug in front of him.

Minor action: changeling disguise to get back to assassin form.
standard: Shadow storm against Green10 Thug.
hit: 1d20+11+1 vs AC (hit roll includes Aaron's +1 aid)
dam: 2d4+6+2

free action: assassin's shroud on Green12 Thug

Surrealistik
2011-01-28, 10:48 PM
Ghoster has no time to revel in his success as he rounds the corner, only to face yet three more goons. Thinking quickly, he dives onto the ground, deftly tumbling past the thugs like a roiling shadow as he vanishes down the unseen passage beyond. The marksman's presence however, is brutally evinced at the tapering end of his acrobatic roll, as a shaft of frigid steel spears cleanly through one of the assailants.

Move Action: Tumble (Encounter Utility).
Effect: Shift 7 squares from G10 to C4
Stealth Check: [roll0]

Standard Action: Deft Strike vs Purple 5
Effect: Move 1 square from C4 to D4
Attack Roll: [roll1] vs AC (Combat Advantage) (28 with Concerted Effort, triggering its bonus incrementation)
Damage Roll: [roll2] (cold damage, actually 17, see OOC) + [roll3] (Sneak Attack) = 21 damage total.

HeroComplex
2011-02-03, 09:16 AM
Stergo

Seeing the way ahead is blocked as well, Stergo shifts the load on his back and attempts to distract the new roadblock by setting them on fire, hoping Quinn is quick enough to get out of the way.

[roll0] vs Ref. against 10
[roll1] vs Ref. against 11
[roll2] vs Ref. against 12
[roll3] vs Ref. against Q
Please subtract the appropriate modifier for encumbrance. I forgot what it was... :smalleek:

Damage: [roll4]
Effect: Next enemy to hit me takes 3 fire damage

Move: Move to G5 if I can