PDA

View Full Version : Ashmoor, A City in Turmoil [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Emlyn
2010-08-01, 08:20 PM
Five people, of differing background and heritage. None have met, and in a normal life they never would have. But fate is a fickle thing, it cares little for race or background. Would these five be the saviors of this city, or would they be the harbingers of its destruction? Or maybe, they are destined to only play a small roll, one that tips the balance by the edge of a knife. Only fate knows, and its not telling.

Two days ago, each of you was going about your lives as best you could. However each of you on that day received a visit from a messenger (or something similar) requesting your appearance in the palace. The reasons for your choosing to answer the summon varied, but all of you did and now you find yourselves face to face with four people you've never met.

As you arrived each was checked against a list to insure you were allowed inside, and then taken to a small conference room to wait for the others. A long table surrounded by ten chairs was the only furniture or otherwise defining feature in the room. The typical palace make of marble inlaid with gold and silver was all the decoration the room had. When the last of you arrived, it was suggested you make a quick introduction and that another aide would be with you shortly to take you to the proper place.

Your Visit

Ghoster

The man approached you in plain site as you sat in the pub eating your lunch. He clearly know who he was looking for, an oddity considering your status. The human, dressed in the common attire of the slums where you were at, sat down across from you and said, "Finding you hasn't been easy, Artemus. You have been called to the palace to join a small group that will be working for one of the kings advisers. Your compliance is mandatory. You should remember that there are those that know of your past and many that would rather see you dead for leaving it behind. This is your only hope of avoiding that fate." Handing you a slip of paper with directions, he left.

Stergo

Your contact with the Eagle's Talon approached you two days ago with surprising news, your contract had been purchased indefinitely. In two days time you were required to report to the palace were you would join the other members of your new team. Additionally, the purchaser wanted this message passed on, "Though some may be lax in their investigations, others are not. We know what you did and why you flee. Failure to fulfill your new contract with us will lead to this news being released and the consequences of your actions will lead to death."

Aron

The thieves guild had sold you out, it was the only explanation. Tasked with a simple burglary, two dozen thugs descended on you as soon as you entered the house. You awoke in a cold cell, your head still throbbing from the knock out blow delivered to it. For a day and half you sat there, only bothered when they came to deliver your meals. Then, on the second day, a man came to visit. He was dressed in fine clothes that marked him as a court official. He offered you a deal, join a group working under a King's adviser or face execution. The choice wasn't difficult, and once you agreed he lead you out of the jail and straight to the palace district.

Quinn

She'd arranged to met with a merchant about setting up a contract for supplying goods. Instead of the merchant, she was met with a courier from the palace. He informed her that an interested party had heard of his arrival in the city and was interested in employing him on a special assignment. The party had heard of his mother and was interested to see if the son lived up to her exploits. Of course, if he should refuse this offer then it would be unfortunate if the city guard was alerted to a changeling being loss and happened to employ the full might of the mages guild to track him down and destroy him. He was expected at the palace in two days. The man quickly left, ignoring any pleas or questions.

Dekkah
2010-08-01, 08:43 PM
Ialen
Being the first to arrive, the smiling cleric approach the table.
"So I have to wait.", says the Cleric out loud.
This young cleric name is Ialen Joyal. His face is used and tanned from too many sun burns and his hands are rough, like the one an old farmer would have. His black hair already have some hint of white. If you take a closer look, he cannot be as old as he looks, his eyes have the hint of yought and the way he moves and his physical shape in general shows the health of someone young.
An introcution to whom... I guess more will come beside Sir Cavan, think Ialen.

Ialen take a seat and patiently wait for someone to show up.

Surrealistik
2010-08-01, 08:51 PM
As the visitor takes a seat, Ghoster fixes him with a cold glare, gaze rife with unconcealed suspicion. The misgiving in his eyes only compounds when his accoster speaks, revealing far more than the leery marksman should ever tolerate a man to know. As he looks to the paper and his thoughts begin to cohere, the elf turns back, lips parting in the formation of a pointed query, but the mysterious stranger is already on his way. With a subdued grimace, he quickly finishes the remainder of his meal and diverts his attention back towards the slip; it isn't long before the rogue comes to a decision. Rising from his chair with halting reluctance, Ghoster stalks out of the tavern.

Ghoster regards the assembly with a notably dour grimace as he enters, a pair of sharp verdant eyes betraying obvious displeasure; it is obvious to even the most casual onlooker that he is clearly not happy to be here. His appearance is rugged, thoroughly bedecked in camouflage and all manners of utilitarian hardware, with a face unusually masculine for one of his kind. A huge crossbow is draped over his left shoulder, portions of the weapon's surface oddly coated with a light sheen of frost. Isolating himself in a corner, the elf stands, back against the wall, his posture alert, casting a wary gaze that slowly pans about the room as if locked in a careful search for some unseen threat.

HeroComplex
2010-08-01, 09:27 PM
Stergo

Stergo's pulse quickened at the summons he received. They can't possibly know. No one knew. I've made sure of it... But the summons says they did know. He had no choice.

Dressing in his most concealing cloak, Stergo slips his bulky frame through the palace to the waiting room. Keeping the hood up and covering his head and the arms of his robes covering his scaled hands, Stergo does his best not to be recognized for who and what he is. He doesn't plan on being here long, and introductions would just prove to complicate matters.

Dekkah
2010-08-01, 09:31 PM
Ialen
As stergo enter the room, Ialen raise and take 2 steps toward the cloaked form. Apparently ignoring the man attemp to be discret, Ialen jovialy says offering an hand to handshake,
"Well met, I am Ialen Joyal, servant of Pelor."

Deadly
2010-08-02, 03:16 AM
Honor of thieves... bah! All this time he had wasted at their petty tasks, hoping they would help him. He should have known better, and maybe he had but it was not like he had many options to begin with. And now he had even less of an option. It was not a tough decision, however. And perhaps this would actually afford him a better chance at his goal than he ever had with the thieves and among the outcasts. The palace? Whoever had offered him this way out was high up, had real influence no doubt. Yes. This was an opportunity Aaron did not intend to squander. If he performed well at whatever was expected of him, perhaps he would even be allowed to walk free and no longer live as an outcast. He didn't quite trust in such generosity, but it was not impossible... was it?

And so Aaron entered the room to which he was led by the stranger. His young face, slightly dirtier than usual from his time in prison, bearing an expression of calm and guarded attention as he gazed around the room. He looked like any human boy from the slums about the age of fifteen, but seemed unusually calm and there was a distinct charm about him - perhaps it was his bright, attentive eyes and friendly smile, or maybe it was something more. The others were probably in much the same situation he was... drafted into the unknown with little choice, no doubt. Some of them, anyway, Aaron mused to himself as he smiled politely at those present "Well met". He didn't want to get off on the wrong foot, so said no more, awaiting a better sense of the situation and the people around him.

MKnight
2010-08-02, 08:25 AM
And just like that the man that found Quinn and delivered the request was gone. Now Quinn, with a dumbfounded look on his face, brushed back his blond hair and thought Well that didn't take long. It's as if they knew I was coming. I guess I shouldn't keep them waiting.

Having been in the city for a day or so he quickly finds a route to the palace. He announces himself to the guards and is shown the way to where the gathering is taking place. His outward appearance makes him look awestruck at the magnificence of the palace... not unlike a tourist. Internally though he is mentally keeping track of the twists, turns, doors, and guards seen while being led. Occasionally he gives a chipper "Good Day" to the people he passes by.

Finally he enters the meeting room. Not really knowing the nature of the call but knowing that some of his most prized secrets are known he gives the room a quick scan. He sees the various other adventurers gathered around the table in the sparse room. Do they know his secrets too or had they gotten a call also. Hmmm. I must remain calm and friendly. Let's see how this plays out.

With a broad grin Quinn looks from one side of the room to the other and says "Well. This is quite an interesting bunch we have here. The name's Quinn. Anyone know why we are here?"

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 08:36 AM
Ialen
Seing Aaron and Quinn come in, Ialen salute them,
"Wel met to both of you. I am Ialen Joyal, nice to meet you. To be honest I dont know much either about the reasons we are here, but it must be important, considering who is summoning us."

Deadly
2010-08-02, 08:44 AM
Aaron nods at Ialen and Quinn "Aaron's my name. Sad to say I have no more knowledge of what to expect, but indeed it is not every day you get a summon such as this."

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 08:50 AM
Ialen
"Yeah, this would have been hard to simply ignore."
You can feel from Ialen tone that he is curious, but not too pleased to be here.

Grogmir
2010-08-02, 08:52 AM
Affas enters confidently, His green boots moving softly on the floor, This Elf is dressed in simple cloth of Autumn colours, over which he wears a set of scalemail, sword and shield that gleams as if recently polished (no seriously the shield does seem to shine with light).
Seeing lots have already arrived waits just a moment for a gap in the chatter, he address the room
"Hello Friends, Answering the same call as me? Such a strange group for what could it be? But I guess we'll soon find out the mystery"

HeroComplex
2010-08-02, 08:57 AM
Stergo

Stergo stands and ignores the approaching cleric, until he mentions his deity, that is. Relaxing slightly Stergo reaches up and lowers the cowl from his head, exposing his golden scaly snout and the long gold tendrils that hang from his head to his shoulders, much like dreadlocks. A large, beaded and feathered earring hangs from the right side of his face to his shoulder. Smiling slightly in his draconic way, he sighs softly, extending his hand. "My name is Stergo. It is good to see a priest of the platinum dragon here. It puts me a little more at ease," he says in his gravelly voice.

Joining in the conversation, Stergo comments, I'm sure we're all equally compelled to be here. But I want to know why, and soon."

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 08:58 AM
Ialen
Turning his attention to the elf, Ialen greet him.
"Well met Sir elf, I am Ialen Joyal. Are you all from Ashmoor?", says Ialen, trying to instigate some discussion to get a feel of everyone personnality.

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 09:03 AM
Ialen
Smiling warmly at Stergo, Ialen reply,
"Nice ot meet you Stergo. You mix Bahamut with Pelor my friend. But fear not, Pelor and Bahamut are in good terms, their specific views might differ, but their main ideas remains similar."

Deadly
2010-08-02, 09:04 AM
"I am from Ashmoor, yes" Aaron replies simply, while apparently listening intently to everyone.

HeroComplex
2010-08-02, 09:11 AM
Stergo

Slightly abashed at his misnomer, Stergo drops his gaze. "This entire business has me all turned around." Growing more anxious Stergo lashes out angrily to cover his embarrassment. "What could the members of the court possibly want with us?! It's not fair to just shanghai people like this!" Realizing his outburst, and that his temper is starting to crack into his attempts to keep his reasons secretive, Stergo quickly clamps his mouth shut. He's still seething slightly beneath his robes though.

Grogmir
2010-08-02, 09:46 AM
"I'm Affas, new to town, from the Forest kingdom of Maltaur, what do we have here? A preist of Pelor, a mighty dragonborn and another Elf and more besides! Well met all, Well met, this is a exciting occasion, makes one want to sing" He looks around for encouragment - finding none he proceeds to sing an elven tune under his breath.

Surrealistik
2010-08-02, 09:49 AM
Stergo's sudden outburst draws the standing elf's attentions, his sentiment apparently agreed upon by at least one other as his words are met with a terse nod. Though a little confused by the exact meaning of 'shanghai', Ghoster certainly seems to concur with the general implication of the man's words.

As the moments draw on, the camo-clad elf seems unable to find whatever it was he was looking for, his tense stance relaxing ever so slightly, settling into more of a comfortable lean. His eyes then carefully look over each of the assembled, as if trying to gather a sense of each, and their reason for being here.

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 10:00 AM
Ialen
At Stergo outburst, Ialen note out loud putting his hand on the dragonborn shoulder, with a calming voice,
"They sure do like to make us wait, but getting mad wont change anything."
Turning his attention to Affas.
"I am not very good at singing myself, I usually make the dogs howl!
So you are from Maltaur? I travelled quite a bit myself, but I have never had the chance to visit that kingdom yet. Anything of interest to see there for a Pelorian priest like me? "

Grogmir
2010-08-02, 10:11 AM
"I agree Ialen, no need to get angry, Tis only a triffle minute or so. Maltaur is a fine country" Seems to take a breath as if lost far away "And you will find many a pretty thing there - we honour all that is skilled and takes time to create, Tell me with what talent has Corellon bless you all?"

HeroComplex
2010-08-02, 10:24 AM
Stergo

Who knows who could be working for the city guard? Or that blasted mage's guild. If I registered, they'd know what it was I was capable of... couldn't have that. But it seems like someone knows... NO! No one knows... and I'm going to be sure it stays that way.

Lost in his train of thought, Stergo jumps at the mention of talents. "No talents here. Just a real need to get back to my miserable existence in the Outcast. Though I'm sure none of you have ever been there," he grumbles.

Bluff:[roll0] Edit: Good Luck beating that... crit on a bluff. wow...

If you roll higher, check the below:He's lying about "talents"

Deadly
2010-08-02, 11:17 AM
"I am from among the outcasts, myself" interjects Aaron at Stergo's last comment "I wonder why they would summon two outcasts to the palace. Not how they usually treat us"

Aaron couldn't even beat that bluff on a critical himself... short 2 points on Insight for that

Surrealistik
2010-08-02, 01:12 PM
Ghoster merely shrugs at Affas' question, though the unusually sized crossbow on his back and pragmatic martial garb clearly belie this response.

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 01:18 PM
Ialen
Ialen shrug at Affas,
"No offence meant Affas, but I dont think I recieved my talents from any god, not even the one I serve. The skill I have, I trained them.
But to answer your question, I am good with people. If I use my mentor words, I "neglected my priest martial trainings". You see, I decided long ago that I would help others. There is enough people causing pain and I decided to try not be one of these people. I took a vow to refrain as much as possible to hurt others, at least directly and most certainly when unnecessary. Instead, I cure and heal people who need it, be it my friend or my worst enemy."
Seing the look on Affas face, Ialen put on a disarming smile and add,
"Of course, I am no fool. I know that violence cannot always be prevented. I did participate in combat before, even though it always pains me to do so.
And healing enemies is for when they are knocked out and my allies are safe."

When Stergo and Aaron mention coming from the Outcast
I am nobody, but still...what does the king advisor could want with people from the Outcast...wonders Ialen.
"I have indeed beenin the Outcast before, many people need help and healing skills and few priest actually dare to go there."

HeroComplex
2010-08-02, 02:02 PM
Stergo

Stergo rolls his eyes at the rhyming Affas. A wonder if he's ever gone a day without food. Much less a month... then we'll see if he feel like singing. "You might want to keep it down about that "mighty" dragonborn stuff. It's a good way to offend the wrong types of people. You're not from around here are you, elf?"

As time passes, Stergo begins to calm down. The anger within him dying away. "They called two Outcasts to their aid? I can't imagine why any of the highbornes would risk associating with us."

Speaking to Ialen, he says, "That's kind of you, priest. But visiting the Outcasts to do your charity is far from the same as surviving them." His tone is cynical, if not offensive.

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 02:08 PM
Ialen
Taking no offense at Stergo words, Ialen nods,
"Your right friend, we all have different life experiences. Good or bad, it makes us who we are."

MKnight
2010-08-02, 02:21 PM
Being new in town Quinn decided to stay out of the conversation. It seems the outcast district in Ashmoor runs about the same as in Thanis. Instead trying to change the subject he says to no one in particular:
"It seems our group is indeed diverse and we all share the same curiosity as to why we have been called. In my own case I had just arrived in town from Thanis. My father is a merchant there and I was supposed to meet a contact at the local Merchant's guild about a contract. You all can indeed imagine my surprise when I met the courier. I had never even been to Ashmoor before and if my father had known about a meeting here at the palace he surely would have informed me before I left."

Patience, Quinn thinks to himself, Surely we will find out soon what this is all about.

Surrealistik
2010-08-02, 03:07 PM
Ghoster keeps an alert vigil in spite of his wall-hugging slouch, eyes transfixed on the entrance as he patiently awaits the aide, deciding that it would be better to receive an explanation than deduce one.

Grogmir
2010-08-02, 03:33 PM
Ialen, well met, your stance seems very right to me, open and welcoming our the forest of Maltaur our priests are our your mind and they bring peace over many leagues. I... Affas clasps his sword handle.. "On the otherhand seem to have one skill and I like you have to train that everyday and that pleases Corellon."

Turning to Stego, "I mean't no offence gran... ah. My dragonborn... ah.. colleague. I have learn't much from your folk and they bring lots that is prized into our lands."

Affas realises his talk is not overly welcome, and picks up on the seriousness of the word 'outcasts'. He settles himself to looking at the ceiling and walls, unknowingly whistling a tune quietly under his breath.

Emlyn
2010-08-02, 04:32 PM
Just then the door opens and in walks a fair looking human. Her cloths mark her as an aide, the dark red and gold designs of those that serve the kings advisers. "Thank you for your patience, please come with me." she says with a smile. You are lead down into the west wing of the palace were it appears many of the government and court officials have their offices. From the main hallway you take a turn down a much less traveled corridor that leads into a courtyard garden. Your destination is an office that looks out over the garden. The aide holds the door open for you and ushers you into the secretaries office. The room is small, barely large enough for the desk and two chairs because of the bookshelves crammed into the corner and along the wall. "Please head on in," she says gesturing at the door along the back wall. "You are expected." Her task done she resumes her spot behind the desk.

The room you enter is rather odd for someone who claims to be so important. The left wall is covered in a giant map that shows the continent in detail, with a close up of Ashmoor drawn in as well. The rest of the walls are bookshelves, stuffed from floor to ceiling with parchment, books, and scrolls. The only natural light comes from a skylight directly over the massive desk, pilled high with various documents, that dominates the room. A man in his late thirties looks up from his work, his mouth set in a grim line. His rich crimson cloak is offset by black, the robe of a kings adviser. "I'd stand but quiet frankly I don't have the time or patience. Let me be brief." he begins, his voice matter of fact and indifferent that you have arrived. "I'm sure all of you have been wondering why I've called you here today, your diverse backgrounds leaving little in common. Well the answer is simple, each of you, with the exception of Affas, has some dark secret in your past you've done your best to hide. I know all of them, it is my business. But that answers why you have come, not why I've called you. You see, this city is in turmoil. The outcast district is nearly in a state of open revolt, the guilds are practically just waiting for the chance to tear themselves apart, and that's just the things that the common people can see. I need experienced people, and each of you fit that bill. Your pasts give me the edge I need to insure your cooperation, and I gain six skilled agents. Now the reason I've called you is to investigate illegal shipping of magical items in the outcast district. My agents have been unable to come up with anything, but they have a few leads as to were to begin. Those from the outcast district should be familiar with the Church of the Forsaken, they are the only group in there that cares for the general population. For those that aren't, they give food, medicine, and shelter to all that aren't affiliated with the gangs. Without them, thousands would die each month. However, it seems at least part of the church is participating in this illegal magic trade. I need you to figure out if this is true, and if so put an end to it. You'll be allowed into the district, and once in make your way to the Bronze mug. Stergo should know where it is, you drink there often enough. Look for a half-elf by the name of Niemer, he's been informed that you will be coming and to assist you. Now, I realize this is a lot of information, are there any questions?"

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 04:50 PM
Ialen
Ialen let out a small laugh. How ironic... to come here to find clues and get more answers.
When the man finish, he ask,
"I guess our pay will be the informations we seek? At least for my part, since I dont know what your messenger promised the others. ", finish Ialen realising that the others might have other motivations.

Emlyn
2010-08-02, 05:50 PM
He nods, "Each agreement will be honored, with payment a possibility depending on the quality of the work.

Grogmir
2010-08-02, 06:20 PM
"Wooee, Your a fast one and make no mistake, you offer much... and seems like I have the chance to hop along with some right naughties, he he, magic hunting too! I'm in, off to inn, and into inn, if you get my meanin'."

Dekkah
2010-08-02, 06:26 PM
DM
Scratching his chin, Ialen ask Cavan,
"Up to what extent do you trust this Niemer?
What kind of illegal magical trade are we speaking of? Items, spells, healings?"

Ialen would like to know if the Cavan says the truth about his trust of Niemer (be it lower or higher than he lets us think.
Ialen Insight :[roll0]

Surrealistik
2010-08-02, 07:10 PM
The rogue's characteristic silence remains unbroken, not a single question threatening to bring disquiet to his wan lips as the advisor concluded his address. For him, the scene does not engender curiosity, but sinister memories, and a bleak reminiscence of times past; Machiavellian superiors, and teams of clandestine agents sent out into the dark to champion edicts writ in blood.

As for the present, the briefing would no doubt continue in greater detail within the outcast dive they had been pointed at, for if prior experience proved any sort of teacher to the shadow-slinking elf, it was always the contact, the field agent that had the low down; those crucial details that separated success from failure, the living from the dead. Niemer's brain would be picked clean before the day was out.

Emlyn
2010-08-02, 09:13 PM
"He is a long time agent in the outcast district, you can trust him to not immediately send you over to the gangs. The main trade is in magical items, though there has also been a recent jump in the number of unregistered mages slipping into the city from there."

MKnight
2010-08-02, 09:49 PM
Listening to the advisor and carefully considering his words, This seems like a fortunate situation for me. I can have my run of the city to solve their little problem with the promise of the reward of information that I really came seeking.

Adding to the discussion Quinn offers the following:
"All this illegal goods moving around has to have come to the notice of the Merchants Guild. I was to meet with the Collective to talk about private business arrangements but maybe they have heard some rumors that might prove valuable. Though I doubt they are involved perhaps they know of some... independents that may know more... or be involved themselves."

Deadly
2010-08-03, 03:48 AM
Aaron glanced around while listening to the man speak. He wasn't quite sure what dark secret the man was refering to, he himself was just caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Didn't change the fact that he had no choice in doing what this man asked of him, for now at least. Maybe he was just growing cynical, but he didn't quite trust this man. The task seemed straight forward enough, however, and the others had already asked most of what Aaron were wondering himself.

"What of these gangs? What do we know about them and what should we expect to face? For example, are there different gangs which may be incited against each other or are they one big happy family? Also, will we be allowed outside the Outcast district if need be, for example to pursue knowledge or people?" Aaron of course had his own reasons for wanting a chance to get outside the Outcast district - he had already searched that place for two years in search of his sister, so far in vain, if anything was to be found of her it seemed to him he had to search elsewhere - but it still seemed a legitimate question to him.

MKnight
2010-08-03, 06:38 AM
"What of these gangs? What do we know about them and what should we expect to face? For example, are there different gangs which may be incited against each other or are they one big happy family? Also, will we be allowed outside the Outcast district if need be, for example to pursue knowledge or people?"

Speaking to Aaron but clearly loud enough to be heard by the King's advisor Quinn says:
"I should think we would have a fair run of the city. There's no telling where are pursuits may take us."
Then Quinn gives a slight almost imperceptible nod to Aaron and thinks: It sounds like all of us in the room have reasons to be bound by this task.

HeroComplex
2010-08-03, 09:09 AM
The outcast district is nearly in a state of open revolt...

Hearing this Stergo chuckles under his breath, Now there's an understatement...

As the adviser goes on, Stergo seems to become more and more unsettled. At the mention of "stolen magical items" you can see him shift visibly beneath his cloak. There's so much they seem to know, but there's no one left who could have known... maybe someone from the guild sold me out...

His attention is snapped back to the conversation at the mention of his name, and he nods his head, a little ashamedly, at the mention of his well frequented dive. At least there, they know better than to try to slip a knife into my ribs.

Stergo knew the name Niemer and could probably pick him out by sight. Not that they were acquainted. It did come as a surprise that he was an agent for the King. Then again, now Stergo was one, too.

Speaking up, Stergo asks, "And what use could you possibly have for me? Surely you could have found some less conspicuous muscle for this foray." Stergo had built up a reputation of being a bit of a brute, working hard to hide his true nature from the public. He has no reason to think anyone other than his employer and a few trusted guild members knew what he was really capable of doing.

At the mention of getting out of the Outcast, the dragonborn balks. "Most of you may seem inconspicuous in the other areas of the city, but a free-roaming dragonborn will draw much more attention to us than any of us will want. Except maybe that, one," he gestures indicating the happy-go-lucky elf, "That one looks like he eats that kind of attention for tea."

Having said his peace, Stergo settles down for some answers.

Emlyn
2010-08-03, 01:13 PM
"You will conduct your investigation inside the outcast district, if your leads point elsewhere you shall report to me before following them. Strego and Aron are bound by law to the outcast district, they are not allowed anywhere else. As for the gangs, I would have expected you to be more aware of their current loyalties Aron. After all, survival there is often dependent on knowing just whose area you live or are passing through. Of course, someone working for the thieves guild would be somewhat sheltered I suppose. Currently there has been an uneasy truce amongst them, in the sense none are fully at war with each other. Instead, I suspect they are preparing for a full out rebellion and the inevitable clash with the city guard." He pauses briefly before turning to Strego. "You are right, there may have been others less conspicuous, less problematic for me to hire. But each of you is skilled, several in ways they dare not mention." His gaze fixed on Strego, then Ghoster, and finally settling on Aron. "But know this, the city is under the greatest threat it has ever faced and I can't be picky in who I ask for help. So play your parts and with any luck you'll all get out of this with a reward each of you has dreamed about."

HeroComplex
2010-08-03, 01:21 PM
Stergo

The reply and the look Stergo receives tells him everything he needs to know. He definitely knows enough to have me killed... but I'm still here. And he needs me... maybe there's a way out of this yet.

He pulls his cowl back up and over his head, hiding his features. Then growls lowly from beneath it, "So what are we waiting for? Let's get this over with."

Dekkah
2010-08-03, 01:21 PM
Ialen
Ialen follow Cavan gaze at the mention of people hidding their potential.
Interesting...
When the man done with his speach and no ones appear to have any question left, Ialen nods.
"I'll do my best.", says the priest in an neutral tone and then start to move toward the door.

Surrealistik
2010-08-03, 01:27 PM
With the advisor's banter nearing some kind of finality, Ghoster begins to edge towards the exit in a series of subtle, disguised motions, seeming almost as if having spontaneously materialized there to anyone who had not seen his standing creep along the periphery. With a deft flick of his wrist, the door silently folds ajar, and he vanishes through.

Deadly
2010-08-03, 01:28 PM
Aaron clears his throat faintly, a little uncomfortable at the mention of his dealings with the thieves, although everyone else here apparently have similar pasts "I wouldn't claim complete ignorance of the gangs, no, but neither can I claim complete knowledge of their various dealings and alliances. Asking questions about such matters tend to be bad for your health, so I avoid it when possible." He pauses for a moment, then simply nods his agreement, eager to move on since all his questions have been answered for now.

Seeing the others begin to move out the door, Aaron simply follows in silence.

Emlyn
2010-08-03, 03:00 PM
Cavan lets you leave without comment, returning back to whatever he was previously studying.

Dekkah
2010-08-03, 03:02 PM
Ialen
Ialen wait to be out of the castle before he speaks,
"So I guess we are all in the same boat now. Anyone have anything they need to do before we head to the Outcast?"

Surrealistik
2010-08-03, 03:15 PM
Shaking his head at the question, Ghoster continues to put distance between himself and the palace at a brisk clip, eyes panning with habitual wariness.

HeroComplex
2010-08-03, 03:23 PM
Stergo

"There's nothing I can do until we get back. I wouldn't be surprised if we're followed by city guard while they're at it."

He starts off toward the Outcast, familiar with the way.

Deadly
2010-08-03, 03:42 PM
Aaron simply shakes his head at the question, tending to agree with Stergo here, and follows behind the dragonborn.

MKnight
2010-08-03, 05:41 PM
Quinn

Quinn happily tags along to the group.
"Yes Ialen...It seems our little adventure has begun. Since I'm not familiar with the city I'll follow along. Lead the way Mr. Stergo. I trust you know where this tavern is ... the Bronze Mug was it?..."

I wonder what they make of me? With a Paladin, Cleric, and the rest... and then there's a merchant's son. I wonder how long I will be able to maintain my secret?

Grogmir
2010-08-04, 02:50 AM
INNdeed mighty QuiNN, to that INN!

MKnight
2010-08-04, 08:06 AM
INNdeed mighty QuiNN, to that INN!

"Oh... very nice. Perhaps you and the Bard can engage in song as we make our way to the INN says I QuiNN with a favorable GriNN"

Dekkah
2010-08-04, 08:22 AM
Ialen
As the group walk toward, Ialen ask our two Outcast resident,
"Do you guys know our contact?"

Deadly
2010-08-04, 08:48 AM
Aaron shrugs a little as they walk "I've spent most of my time among the half-elves of that place, so I know of him, but not particularly well. I could recognise him if need be, may have talked to him on occasion, but that's about it I think. Sorry if it's not particularly useful" Aaron wasn't sure he was being particularly useful to this operation so far. He'd certainly feel better once they got back to the Outcasts where he was more at home.

I'm assuming Aaron would at least know of this Niemer guy, due to his background. Hopefully that's ok with the DM.

HeroComplex
2010-08-04, 09:08 AM
Stergo

Stergo hunches over and tries to look a bit smaller as they walk through the nicer parts of the city. They just don't get it... one misstep out here and they'll kill us without a second thought.

"Yeah, I know who the guy is. Not exactly someone I'd call a friend. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him," Stergo replies in a gravelly voice. He's trying to keep it low to draw less attention. The fewer city guards who notice him, the better. "And like the man said, I'm familiar with the Bronze Mug. More importantly, they're familiar with me. In the Outcasts, that's as important. At least if you want to drink in peace."

It's clear by his manner, he doesn't want to discuss the subject anymore until they're in more familiar, and relatively safer, territory.

Dekkah
2010-08-04, 10:25 AM
Ialen
Noding at Stergo explanation,
"Alright then, lead the way."

Surrealistik
2010-08-04, 10:45 AM
Ghoster trudges along with his usual disaffected expression while the rest of the team converses, though the edges of his lips curl in subtle amusement as Quinn and Affas begin to vex Stergo with their silly rhymes.

Emlyn
2010-08-04, 03:29 PM
Its a long walk from the top of the city all the way down the outcast district. The fastest way is not along the main road which winds itself through the nicest parts of town, a fact well known by those that live in Ashmoor. As you walk, several guards along the way give questioning glances but once they see Ialen they relax. At last you arrive at the entrance to the district, the large foreboding gates are the only portal into the walled off district. Rarely do the gates fully open however, the little traffic that does go through the gates goes through smaller doorways cut into them. The commander of the watch notices your arrival and comes to greet you. "I was tolled you'd be coming. There's a few things you should be aware of before you enter. YOu elves," he gestures at Ialen and Ghoster. "You aren't exactly welcomed in there. The half-elves don't have much love for those that have condemned them to this place. Now, its good to see you already have your weapons out and showing. This will discourage many of those that would hassle you, they don't want to pick a fight with well armed people. But stay on your guard, there's a reason we don't send patrols into the district."

HeroComplex
2010-08-04, 03:49 PM
Stergo

Passing through the gates, Stergo stops on the other side to open his cloak up revealing his cloth robes held closed by a broad leather belt. Strung through the belt is an ornate dagger with many runes inscribed on its handle, its quillions shaped like dragon's wings.

From a pocket within the sleeve of his robe, he extracts two long wooden shafts, the ends of which screw together securely. It is made of a strong, light colored wood and carved into the wood are many small dots. Upon closer inspection you could see that the dots are small carvings of insects. When Stergo twists the ends together, you see the carvings line up exactly and hear a slight 'click' as he finishes.

He lowers his cowl to his shoulders and ties the sleeves of his cloak up into bunches at his shoulders with built-in toggles, exposing his very large, gold tinted arms.

"There, now that's much better." There's a more confident gleam in his eye as he gestures toward the southwest. "The Bronze Mug is this way. Shall we go?" You can tell his entire demeanor has changed. He's much more at home here. It seems like he feels safer in this most dangerous part of the city.

Deadly
2010-08-04, 03:58 PM
Like Stergo, Aaron seems to relax and open up a lot more now that he's "home". It may not be a very nice place, but it has been the only thing he's known for several years now. Now that the stress of the unfamiliar is off his shoulders, Aaron checks his bow - a finely crafted piece of weaponry, of a somewhat elven style - and even manages a slight smile "Sounds like excitement won't be lacking for us. Let's go see what this Niemer has to offer."

Surrealistik
2010-08-04, 04:40 PM
The commander's warning is met with a mute nod, Ghoster's face betraying no discernible emotion or reaction at the bespoken menace. Slipping through the gate, he immediately makes his way towards the Bronze Mug with a decisive, measured stride, the open confidence of his motions revealing an unusual familiarity with the area.

Grogmir
2010-08-04, 04:41 PM
"A chance to show my skill perhaps" Affas says while wondering to himself what exactly the elves have done to turn their halfbrothers away so.

Dekkah
2010-08-04, 05:14 PM
Ialen
Seeing Aaron and Stergo finaly at ease, Ialen smile warmly,
"Finaly, you show up your true self, or so I hope. Lets hope that this Niemer will be as cooperative as the councellor told us."
Ialen walk with confidence even in the Outcast. Some would think it is from lack of experience or foolishness. It may be a bit so, but he does have condidence in his own abilities.
I am making assumptions here :)... but even if it isnt true, Ialen does beleive that, and the many time he came to help, he didnt have any trouble.

MKnight
2010-08-04, 09:49 PM
Quinn

"Ah... Mr. Stergo and look ...even you too Aaron. At home and at ease. I am glad to see it. It was obvious you weren't too comfortable on the other side of that wall."

Quinn mingles in the group as they are led to the Bronze Mug. He shares the confidence that the group collectively has. As each member has drawn a weapon or in some way made their armaments more pronounced, Quinn has not. In fact some may even argue he doesn't have a weapon on him. And they would be wrong in that thought. With a gesture that gives the impression he is checking his coin pouch, Quinn actually adjusts his concealed weapon. So far so good. Let's hope we don't run into any trouble just yet.

Deadly
2010-08-05, 02:24 AM
As they walk, Aaron decides to impart a bit of wisdom in a low voice while keeping an eye and especially an ear on everything around them "Don't take our calm as a suggestion that you should relax or let down your guard. We have lived here and it is our home, it is familiar unlike everything outside, despite how harsh and terrible it is. Do not be misled by our appearance, this is still the Outcasts, and you should be careful how you tread and conduct yourselves around here. The wrong word or the wrong look at the wrong time or to the wrong person will earn you an early grave, or worse. We may be well armed, which will hopefully deter any attacks on us, but we are not here to pick fights or cause a fuss. There will be many eyes on a group like ours, no doubt, and as the guard said having two elves among our numbers will only make things more complicated. The best we can do is stay low, stay out of trouble and mind our own business. We don't want to get all the gangs riled up against us or something. Very bad things happen to people around here all the time, you either learn to play by the rules of the Outcast or you don't play very long." He says this last part in a low, sad voice, barely audible.

Grogmir
2010-08-05, 02:56 AM
"I will heed your words Aaron, and hold my tnogue from wandering far and free. I do not like these walls..." why are the outcasts so? He ponders silently.

Emlyn
2010-08-05, 04:55 AM
Aaron's words are punctuated by the stark contrast of this district. It's as if you have stepped into another world. Everywhere you look, some new horror greets your eyes. The buildings are crammed together, some barely standing it seems as the boards practically reek of rot and decay. The people you pass keep their eyes downcast, afraid to meet the gaze of anyone. Their clothes are rags, many look underfeed and its hardly uncommon to see many with obvious signs of sickness. However there are those that aren't so terribly off, the gang members. Its obvious when you pass them, as the well of gangs makes living comparable to the slums, rough but they're feed and clothed. As you make your way towards the bronze mug, atrocious are committed in broad daylight. Gang members assault anyone they deem fit for their pleasure, nor is it uncommon to see them drag a woman into a side ally. Rarer is outright murder, but glimpses down the back alleys leave little doubt that its occurring. However for the two that live here, the horror doesn't register anymore. Instead it tells you were not to walk, who to avoid, how to survive. Though many pointed glances are directed your way, no cat calls or insults ring out nor does anyone threaten violence, yet.

MKnight
2010-08-05, 07:52 AM
Quinn

"I shall do as you ask as well." is all Quinn could muster as he stares at the ground though his eyes are wandering from horror to horror. I must remember why I am in this place... Its so hard to not interfere.

Grogmir
2010-08-05, 07:55 AM
Affas talks quietly - hoping only his colleagues will hear "This.... is a strange place" Looking around at the buildings and decay "Why would people live so? Have they no honour? Do they not take pride in their work?" He seems quite disturbed by the lack lusture housing.

Dekkah
2010-08-05, 09:03 AM
Ialen
Ialen face grim at the sight of the general state around him. The violence around him disapoint him, bit it is the sick and injured people that he really feels for.
I could do much good around here... damn, I must not, this could screw the mission.
Ialen wall in silence, struggling to walk by and not rush to the help of thoose in need.

Sorry if Ialen attitude changed. Since he cannot have been around before (from Emlyn post in OOC), I had to adjust :).

HeroComplex
2010-08-05, 09:24 AM
Stergo

Stergo grunts in agreement with Aaron on his summary of the Outcast. "And if one of you decided to go and be all noble, don't come looking to me to keep you from becoming someone's next meal," he says, implying such terrible things.

"The slums are the place where honor was sacrificed for survival. These are the Outcast. There is no life here, therefore no survival. There is only this," he lifts his boot to show you the muck and mire that clings to it. "In the Outcast, we merely exist."

Stergo keeps a wary eye out for trouble coming his way, but he knows where better not to look as well.

Surrealistik
2010-08-05, 09:41 AM
Despite the overt and horrible crimes committed in full view, Ghoster's cool indifference remains, failing to waver for so much as a moment while the group proceeds through the press of bedlam; whether this is due to inurement or simple callousness it is impossible to say. One thing is certain however; it is not for lack of awareness that the elf does not respond, his head sweeping across the fore, a sideways glance tossed across his shoulder in rigid, methodic sequence.

Deadly
2010-08-05, 10:45 AM
Aaron nods slightly at Stergo's addition "I wouldn't put it quite as bluntly as Stergo here, but still." He glances at Affas "Those outside the district could care less about us as long as we are well out of their pristine sight - as the 'nice' man in the palace made very clear we are not wanted anywhere else. We can not trade, we can not get basic necessities and nooone comes to our help when criminals prey on people - on the rare occasion guards enter the district it's not to help, believe me. Here we are alone, and the vast majority can barely live through each day much less care about the state of the buildings. Has nothing to do with honor or pride."

Dekkah
2010-08-05, 11:22 AM
Ialen
Lazy ass guards...
Some bitterness appear on Ialen face as he add.
"The guard arent there to 'help' in the others district much either. They are mostly there for 'show'"
Ialen keep silent for some time after saying that, his face returning to the calm and pained same look he had before, looking at the sufering around.

Deadly
2010-08-05, 11:32 AM
"I'm not surprised" Aaron said to Ialen, then returned to walking in silence.

Emlyn
2010-08-05, 04:17 PM
Stergo leads everyone safely to the Bronze mug. As far as the bars go in the district, this is the upper end of public establishments. The place is lit, the floor isn't covered in vomit and refuse, and fighting is quickly ended. Sure the beer and ale is more expensive, but it won't kill you. A massive half-orc bouncer nods at Stergo in greetings, more then once Stergo has ended a fight well before the bouncer could get there. Even during the middle of the day the place is full. Strego quickly picks out Niemer, the half-elf is another regular here and is occupying his typical seat against the far wall.

Surrealistik
2010-08-05, 05:51 PM
After giving the area a careful sweep, Ghoster approaches the half-elf, his stride relaxed and casual. Pulling up a seat, the rogue looks out over the crowd, a practiced, charismatic smile cracking the dour neutrality of his expression; though doubtlessly a thing of artifice, like a kind of worn mask, it is undeniably convincing. Addressing their contact with a sideways whisper, he speaks:

"We're your crew. Don't suppose you got a better place to chat?"

Grogmir
2010-08-05, 06:06 PM
Affas knows when he's out of his depth, he knows nothing of this strange place, has been in some shabby Inns on his travels here but nothing like this, He also remembers the warning against Elfs and their halfbrothers. He stands, saying nothing trying badly to not stand out, his gleaming clothes and happy demeanour in stark contrast to his surroundings.

HeroComplex
2010-08-05, 06:50 PM
Stergo

Stergo returns the nod in greeting and walks confidently into the tavern. He waves at the bartender ordering in his usual manner, but not for the others. As they approach their contact, Stergo says in a snyde tone, "Hellllllooooo, Niemer." In a lower voice, he continues on the elf's statement, "He's right. What we have to say isn't for others' ears. Let's take this to the back, eh?"

OOC: Seinfeld, anyone? "Helllllooooo, Newman..." anyway... I'm assuming there's a backroom, and Stergo's probably familiar, yes?

Emlyn
2010-08-05, 07:50 PM
Niemer's face darkens as he sees the two elves walking up with Strego. He silently nods to Strego's request and leads them into the backroom. Its not so much the backroom as the beer storage, but it suits the purpose. A table and chairs are already there, just enough for the whole group. Niemer grabs a spot and address the group, "So your the group that got recruited to investigate the illegal shipping. Can't say I'm impressed." A pointed glance at the two elves makes it abundantly clear of his feelings.

HeroComplex
2010-08-05, 08:02 PM
Stergo

Stergo gives his customary snort. "No kidding. They're not from Ashmore. What is this all about?"

Emlyn
2010-08-05, 08:41 PM
"Well I'm assuming he already briefed you on the grand scheme of things, so I'll fill in the details. Someones moving large quantities of magic items and there's been a increase in illegal mages being smuggled through the city. The group isn't based in the outcast district, no one here would have the connections to acquire that many items or to find buyers for all of it. We suspect the Church of the Forsaken to be assisting in some capacity. They are somehow able to feed thousands for free, provide medicine and such yet they have no outside source of income. Your task is to determine the part they play in this grand scheme."

Surrealistik
2010-08-05, 08:42 PM
Ghoster merely offers a disarming smile in reaction to Niemer's incisive glare. With a shake of his head, the elf's lips part in reply.

"Yeah, we got that much. Sounds like Usef might have his fingers stuck deep in this one. We got any other leads? Give us the low down."

Emlyn
2010-08-05, 10:18 PM
"Ehh, could be them. Still not enough info. Anyway, outside the church we have a couple of information brokers that have come through in the past and may have information on who is connected with the smuggling. While it would be easier for you to contact them, they're based far deeper in the district and you'd probably attract attention. Its really up to you."

Surrealistik
2010-08-05, 10:30 PM
Ghoster offers a shallow nod in acknowledgment.

"Could be worth a shot." He rasps. "Pretty good at avoiding heat when I need to. We'll see about giving them a run by. What should we be lookin' for? Appearances? Names? Locations? Code words? Can't afford to muddle about in these parts; we gotta be quick. In and out."

MKnight
2010-08-05, 10:57 PM
Quinn

"Further in you say. Well if we must then I guess we must."

"Right you are Mr. Ghoster. Give us all the contacts information you can muster. Though if things take a turn though I can always try and talk to the church. Perhaps fabricate a story about how my Father would be willing to donate to their worthy cause or something."

Deadly
2010-08-06, 03:31 AM
Aaron takes a seat casually "I know my way around the streets and how to talk to people. It's mostly what I do for a living - if you can call it a living. It probably wouldn't do to show up six people to talk to some informant anyway, that would just freak them out. Better to go one or two."

MKnight
2010-08-06, 07:25 AM
Quinn

"That's an excellent point Aaron. Seems like you or Mr. Stergo should be one of the ones to go. Perhaps there will be a convenient place for the rest to wait that is close-by in case of trouble."

Hmmm. Do I volunteer to go? My clothes don't exactly match the typical district attire. I could probably find something a bit more fitting to the area. An adjustment here or there and it could work I think... though I obviously risk tipping my hand to a group I've really just met.

Dekkah
2010-08-06, 08:38 AM
Ialen
Ialen only observe for now, looking for signs of possible lies from our contact. He also bid his time to see if this chat turn out sour, in which case his diplomatic s skills could become usefull.

Surrealistik
2010-08-06, 09:24 AM
"At least two should head out, especially in a place like this. Overwatch. Going solo is to be avoided; never unless completely necessary. Volunteers?"

Ghoster slouches against the near wall as he waits on a response.

Dekkah
2010-08-06, 10:46 AM
Ialen
Seeing others appears to hesitate, Ialen says,
"I can go if no one else want to. Just know that I am no fighter though. I can protect and heal, even weakens enemies, but if fight a fight errupt, I'll only be support for my partner. I am not someone who injure my enemies."

HeroComplex
2010-08-06, 10:49 AM
Stergo

Stergo considers Niemer's options. "I've had some dealings with the church before. Might know a person or two to talk with. I'll head that way with someone."

Stergo looks to the others to see who will join him.

Surrealistik
2010-08-06, 11:11 AM
The elf gives Stergo a nonchalant shrug, shoulders cresting.

Hell, Aaron's probably better cut out for this than the rest of us. Like Quinn said, it really comes down to you two. Your turf, your move."

He exhales, lips pursed, head tilting to one side.

Still, guess I'll fill in the breach if he don't feel up to it."

Deadly
2010-08-06, 11:39 AM
"I say let's take one thing at a time. Don't want to spread out over the entire district, in case something happens and someone needs aid. Let's go to the church first and see if anything can be found there. I can do the talking, no problem, and I'm sure Stergo and others can manage a bit of talking too. Maybe there'll be other ways to get information, but we'll have to go look before we can make any such plans. If the church turns up nothing we can always seek out these other informants, but I think the church is our best bet as a start."

HeroComplex
2010-08-06, 11:43 AM
Stergo

Stergo nods in agreement.

Dekkah
2010-08-06, 11:47 AM
Ialen
"What is the church opinion of priest from the other district? I assume they will distrust me, am I right?"

Surrealistik
2010-08-06, 02:54 PM
Ghoster demonstrates his acquiescence with a nod.

"No question we gotta take things in order. Other reason fanning out ain't such a good idea is the attention we'd draw. Best to do things quiet as possible."

His verdant eyes sidle in a slow, halting arc, looking out over the team as if in careful appraisement.

"I say the lot of us do what we can to blend in. Stergo and Aaron take point away from the rest, and we trail em. If they need help, we'll be close at hand without ruinin' everythin'. So that leaves us with one question: what're we lookin' for?"

The elf casts an expectant glance at Niemer.

MKnight
2010-08-06, 05:03 PM
Quinn

Quinn shakes his head in agreement with Ghoster. "And in order to blend in I'm going to need to change out of the clothes I'm in. I feel I am attracting attention." He looks down and tugs at his fine clothes. "Mr. Niemer, would you happen to know where I, and any of the rest of our group, may find some clothes?"

Quinn ponders the plans being developed. Thank you Ghoster for echoing my thoughts. I'd much prefer to sit this one back with the group though if aid is needed I will assist with all due haste.

Emlyn
2010-08-06, 05:49 PM
"What hole did they drag you from, elf?" Niemer says quizzically, clearly baffled by Ghosters statements. "You aren't normal, but at least you understand how things work down here. Now, for your questions." He takes a long drink of his ale and continues. "You don't want to be splitting up here if you can help it. Strego can handle himself, and the little human here knows his stuff. Hell, the elf could probably fight his way out of most of the stuff that'd be gunning for him. But you'd still die in the end." He turns his attention to Ialen, "Your a cleric ehh? Don't worry, the church is quiet appreciative of any help they can get. They might not have ties to the Church of the gods, but they still worship and help just the same. Now, as for who your contacts are, Stergo, you remember that half-elf chick Shade? She is probably your best bet for information, course you'd have to get admittance to the private bar she hangs out at. Worth a shot though. Otherwise, they get sketchy fast. You might have some luck with the thieves guild, though they are likely to sell you out on account of the two elves with you. Can't blame them for that." He takes one last good drink and address Ghosters final question. "What your looking for? Ideally you can find the warehouse they store the goods in, as well as the group associated with smuggling them out. Finding the route they take would be great, but not expected." He looks rather surprised at Quinn's request, but he quickly gets what you want. "I'm sure we find an assortment of clothing that would fit the district. Alternatively, just wear your armor, it might discourage trouble."

Surrealistik
2010-08-06, 07:09 PM
"Not so privileged as yea think Niemer."

Answers the bowman with a shallow smirk.

"Ain't set foot in them elf quarters 'xcept to bum a meal."

He issues a terse chuckle, its humour seemingly genuine if stilted.

"As for what we're lookin' for, was more talkin' about the contact, but so far so good. You got our objective laid out nice and neat. We got what we need seems like; let's make ready."

Emlyn
2010-08-06, 09:38 PM
"Elf, if you didn't have the markings of an elf I'd swear you were one of us. If you need anything else, or find anything, I'll be here." Satisfied that he's fulfilled his job, he leaves you to your task and heads back into the bar.

Surrealistik
2010-08-07, 11:44 AM
"Hell, if I didn't 'ave my pointers, I'd think myself somethin' else as well."

More subdued laughter.

"Right then. Got some dressin' to do. Been a pleasure Niemer."

As the half-elf departs, Ghoster's jovial expression fades immediately, entirely subsumed by his iconic detachment. Taking some of the retrieved clothing, he stalks off into a privacy of a dark corner, the rustling of fabrics barely audible from his obscured niche.
Ghoster disguises as an aged half-elf, utilizing his disguise kit (+2 bonus) and gathered clothing. [roll0] (taking 10 for a total score of 22)

MKnight
2010-08-07, 06:54 PM
Quinn

"Yes. I think this will do nicely"
Quinn too takes a few articles of clothing and finds a secluded spot to change. A few moments later he emerges in rather shabby clothing and dirtied face and hands. He then tosses his the clothes he took off into the pile of discarded clothes.

"I added a few touches here or there to give it that extra bit. "

Quinn uses the old clothes, dirt, and his disguise kit (+2) to create a look of a street beggar. I'll take 10 giving a result of 26.

Deadly
2010-08-08, 08:51 AM
Aaron has fallen quiet during the last bit of the discussion, and is now waiting silently for everyone to get ready.

HeroComplex
2010-08-08, 12:47 PM
Stergo

Stergo grunts in acknowledgement. "Yah, I know her. Bit of a skank, in my opinion, that one. But her information is usually good, if you can pay for it," he grumbles. "I don't suppose any of you have deep enough pockets to bribe our way into the bar? If not, we may have to find a more subtle way to get to her. I'd prefer not to have to use the direct approach. It'll upset too many carts if we go storming in. She may not owe much to many of the gangs, but they owe her. It's how she's gotten where she is. Well, that, and between the sheets, if the rumors are true."

Stergo surveys the newly attired party members. "Couldn't you two," he says, indicating the elves, "wear something over those blasted ears of yours? You're going to get us killed." Dealing with Neimer has given the dragonborn a bit of a headache, and he's tired of beating around the bush.

Surrealistik
2010-08-08, 01:28 PM
"Way ahead of you, 'chief'."

Ghoster steps out from the shadows: A long, ragged cloak is draped over his crossbow, entirely concealing the weapon as a deformed hunchback. Baggy, frayed robes overlay his camouflage and armour, while a hood and well placed cosmetics and putty provide the weathered visage of an elderly half-elf. The sum effect is a drastically altered semblance that looks nothing like the bowman's battle-ready figure.

"Cloak comes off when we put some distance between us and this dive. Value of a good deterrent ain't lost on me, but I also ain't letting this alias slip fresh out the door."

His eyes again sweep the room, rife with expectation.

"Ready when you are."

Deadly
2010-08-10, 04:25 AM
"I can't exactly claim to be rich, but I'm sure we could scrape together a bribe if we all pitch in" Aaron responds to Stergo's question, then stands up and nods at Ghoster "Let's be off, then." With that he turns to leave the room.

MKnight
2010-08-10, 06:50 AM
Quinn

"I think I can put some coin towards a bribe if it comes to that."

With a last bit of preparation and adjustment, Quinn too is ready to go. He walks over to follow Aaron out of the room.

Dekkah
2010-08-10, 08:26 AM
Ialen
This kind of dealing arent my tea cup, better let the others do the talking until I am really needed.
Ialen nod and says,
"I am ready when you guys are."

Darla
2010-08-10, 09:33 AM
Having taken a curious look at Quinn and Ghoster’s new garb, Affas selects for himself a dirty tunic and cloak to cover his (oh so shiny) armour. He pulls up the hood to cover his ears and affects a surly, though not-wholly-convincing, grimace. If I am to bring Corellon’s light into these dark places, he muses, I must first understand the ways of these folk… may I be worthy of the knowledge He gifts me.

"Fellows, my sword and my purse are ever ready to serve. Though Corellon has blessed me with a gilded tongue, I fear my elven blood will prove a mighty hindrance in our negotiations with this woman… but I am ready to make the attempt with her if my worldly friends believe the path to be a fruitful one."

And he turns to follow Aaron out the door..

Surrealistik
2010-08-10, 03:23 PM
"Not for a bribe if we can avoid it. Whatever's cheapest and most expedient; far as I'm aware, we ain't gettin' a stipend to cover our expenses."

Ghoster turns to Quinn, eyes slightly widened at the sight of his new appearance.

"Impressive... You're experienced at this, ain't you?"

A coy half-smile flits across the elf's features.

"Mind assistin' with some finishers? I'd be returnin' the favour of course."

He circles the human, taking stock of his techniques and the striking nuance of his disguise; though it requires considerable effort on Ghoster's behalf, he does manage to note a handful of elements that could stand improvement.

"Excellent work, a couple of flaws that could compromise the facade, though no doubt less than with my own."

Pointing out the observed deficits, he awaits Quinn's critique in turn.

Using Aid Another with Quinn for the Disguise skill. Taking 10 vs DC 12, which is an auto-success. Quinn gets +2 to his next use of the Disguise skill.

Deadly
2010-08-10, 04:23 PM
Aaron turns, as if suddenly reminded of something, and takes a look at Affas "Let me see if I can't help you a bit with that disguise." With a skilled eye he follows Ghoster's example, quickly adding a few extra touches to Affas' cover "There... may not be much, but every little bit helps in these parts"

Can we just take 10 on everything?

Going to roll, just in case. Not that I'm likely to fail, what with a skill bonus of +13

Aid Another to aid Affas on his disguise, using Bluff: [roll0]

Darla
2010-08-10, 04:44 PM
Affas examines his attire, pleased with the effect. Thanks friend, I shall endeavour to assume this strange role to the best of my skill. My fellow Elf, he turns to Ghoster, though you are surely wiser in these arts than I, happily would I lend you my aid in preparing your garb if you should wish it.

If Ghoster would like an Aid to his Bluff then Affas' roll is 1d20+6

Darla
2010-08-10, 04:59 PM
didn't work so rolled in OOC

Surrealistik
2010-08-10, 05:18 PM
The bowman nods at his comrade's offer.

"Any help's welcome. Matter of fact, I think we should all give each other a once over; iron out the flaws. Six pairs of eyes are better than one."

Darla
2010-08-11, 02:33 AM
Alas friend, despite my words I suddenly feel that my assistance would only hinder you, unskilled as I am in the arts of disguise... I shall attempt to render my own garb suitable to these strange parts but fear I cannot assist my brave companions...

[roll0]

MKnight
2010-08-11, 08:26 AM
Quinn

Speaking to Ghoster, Quinn says "Um. just a bit. A few summers ago I took to community theatre and was fortunate enough to work under a true master of disguise. Though my study was brief I did manage to pick up a few tricks."

Quinn then gives Ghoster the once over. "Well. I must say you've done a fine job as well. I am particularly impressed by the area around the ears... as that seems to be the biggest areas of contention for some of us." He chuckles and lightly slaps Ghoster on the back.

Surrealistik
2010-08-11, 10:00 AM
A flash of knowing suspicion crosses Ghoster's features as Quinn elaborates on the origins of his skills, but is quickly gone, instantaneously replaced with the furtive half smile that preceded it. He merely nods at the explanation and Quinn's subsequent commentary.

"I too have some instruction in theatrics."

Dekkah
2010-08-11, 11:34 AM
Ialen
Ialen take out his traveling cloak. It is plain and thick, made out of an solid wool cloth piece. You all can see it have seen a lot of use and travel.
"I'll stay as I am. This cloak is about the only "diguise" I have and need. IF you guys are ready, lets head to this contact of your place."

Deadly
2010-08-11, 12:10 PM
Aaron nods firmly at Ialen "Time to move, yes" he says, then turns once more and heads for the church

Surrealistik
2010-08-11, 12:46 PM
Ghoster hangs back with the rest of the group as Stergo and Aaron take point, following the pair in a surreptitious manner, careful to avoid suspicion and attention as the team draws on towards their contact.

Darla
2010-08-11, 12:51 PM
Affas begins to whistle a jaunty elven tune before remembering the circumstances: he quickly checks himself and follows the others out of the bar looking a bit sheepish.

He whispers to the group: If, as friend Ghoster suggests, Aaron and Stergo would lead the way, I shall follow with a light step. Let us away...

Emlyn
2010-08-11, 02:52 PM
Stergo lets out a grunt of satisfaction that everyone is finally ready to move. The private bar that Shade resides in is in the eastern part of the district. Strego and Aaron carefully choose a route to avoid any gangs turf the know of. Your disguises are good and most people just ignore you like everyone else. The flith and horrors increase the farther off the main roads you travel and Strego is wary of treading far off the beaten path. Most backallys are one way trips, you start down them but never get to the end. At last you all end up in front of the bar, the Half-Elf Dame. Two brutish human bouncers stand guard outside the door, their eyes full of disgust at the group in front of them. "Get out of here, this bar don't server your type." one of the bouncers says, his voice dripping with menace.

Dekkah
2010-08-11, 03:01 PM
Ialen
Ialen nearly reply as a reflex, but stay silent,
Better let those used to this district make the deal.
Instead, Ialen look around for possible troubles and check for possible exit from that hell hole if thing turn sour in the bar.

Darla
2010-08-11, 03:32 PM
Affas also holds back from answering but instead pulls his hood down further over his eyes (and ears...) and prepares himself to look menacing.

Deadly
2010-08-11, 03:58 PM
As they come upon the two guards, Aaron quietly curses at himself as an idea immediately strikes him, a voice whispered to him from some unknown time and place. They should have tried to forge some letter of passage or something and bluff their way in... it would have been just his kind of game. Too late for such a scheme now, however. Time for plan B, it seems.

Approaching the guards with a confident look, Aaron speaks in a low voice though easily heard by the two guards "We're here to see the Lady. Very important business, you see, that she wouldn't want to miss. Surely we can come to some... agreement?"

Aaron will observe their reaction closely. If they seem like he could easily sway them, he may try to convince them that it would simply be in their own best interest to let them pass without notice - that the lady would not appreciate them keeping the group from seeing her with such important business. If they seem less likely to budge, he may try to offer a bribe instead.

If his plans fail, hopefully Stergo could step in and give them the evil eye or something. Aaron isn't exactly the most threatening person around.

Can't for the life of me think of anything good to say... my forgery idea would be fun to try, but it's a little late for that now :( Should have thought of it earlier

Whether Aaron will try a Bluff check afterwards, or simply offer a bribe, will depend on their reaction. Mentioning it now, so everyone know my plan.

Diplomacy check: [roll0]+[roll1]

Using Memories of a Thousand Lifetimes (thus the extra 1d6)

Surrealistik
2010-08-11, 04:56 PM
As Aaron and Stergo do their thing, Ghoster slides off the robe concealing his crossbow and deftly retrieves the weapon from his back, setting it down to dangle by its leather shoulder strap, tense fingers kept close to the handle and trigger as he turns about with deliberate care, making a thorough appraisal of his surroundings.

Perception Check: [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-08-11, 05:56 PM
Ghoster's trained eye spots nothing out of the ordinary for this district. The bar is the nicest looking building you've found yet in this district, and the first with a decent looking coat of paint. Its a two story building, similar to most of the buildings around it. The people passing by are all the same rag tag assortment of race, all looking cowed, weary, and afraid.

Both guards let out smirks of laughter. "You think Shade has time for the likes of you? Ha! Isn't that right?" he says, turning to his companion, who nods in agreement. "If she didn't invite you, then no entrance, less you happened to be an elf. Don't know what her thing is with those pointed eared bastards."

MKnight
2010-08-11, 09:24 PM
Quinn

Quinn stays back with the rest of the group as the leads negotiate with the guards. In a low tone to the rest he says "Let's hope this works."

While Quinn waits he scans the building looking for other possible entry points whether that be on the first or second floor. As he does so he thinks I could get in there in a snap but that would reveal my secret a bit too soon. I just don't know if I can trust this group yet. For now I think it best I wait.

Perception check to scan the building for other entry points: 1d20+1

Deadly
2010-08-12, 02:58 AM
Aaron takes on a rather serious look and lowers his voice a little further with a slight glance around him, as if not to let others hear what he says "Why did you think we had come? Shade wished to keep things nice and quiet in this particular matter. Her business, I suppose. We are here to escort a couple elves - they are waiting elsewhere right now, you know how it is with them. I offered merely to keep things nice and quiet, as the lady wished. I see you didn't get the hint."

Aaron hopes they bite. If not he intends to simply walk away, perhaps with some last word of indignation, and then turn to Plan C with the others. Better than a bribe, in any event.

This roll better be good.

Bluff: [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-08-12, 03:44 AM
Aaron's words give them pauses. They look at each other, wrestling with what to do then answer. "Look, you bring them here and show us that they're elves, you all get in. Okay?"

Darla
2010-08-12, 03:52 AM
At this Affas sidles over, takes a quick look round and gives the guard a hasty flash of Elven ear - Does this satisfy you, friend? - before quickly pulling his cloak back up and stepping back into the shadows.

What can this woman want of us? he ponders to himself...

Deadly
2010-08-12, 04:00 AM
Aaron nods "Right away" and signals for the others to come over "Elves and escorts, as promised"

MKnight
2010-08-12, 06:45 AM
Quinn

Quinn waits patiently with the rest of the group as Aaron speaks with the bouncers. Can't tell if its working but at least they haven't drawn weapons. Finally Aaron signals the group. As we walk up to join him and the bouncers, Quinn takes a position in the back of the group behind Ghoster and Affas as if to be the rear escort.

Dekkah
2010-08-12, 06:55 AM
Ialen
Seeing Affas reveal his true nature, Ialen focus his attention on the bouncers.
Let hope they arent messing with us.
Ialen try to guess the bouncers intentions\feeling right now.
Insight :[roll0]

Emlyn
2010-08-12, 10:35 AM
Both men are rather surprised at Affas' display. "Well Ill be damned, it's a long ears. Head on in, you can't miss her." The bouncers move aside to let you in.

Deadly
2010-08-12, 11:14 AM
Aaron nods and steps past the men and inside the building. Once they are inside, and provided there is a slight bit of room to do so without anyone hearing, he whispers to the rest of the gang, making sure to make it looks like just an ordinary brief remark to Stergo "We're here under the pretense of escorting the two elves to Shade, who has a bit of a fondness for elves it seems. No idea if that's a good or bad thing, but stay on guard just in case, and let Stergo and I do the talking if at all possible."

If there's no chance for him to safely relay this, then just ignore it please.

Darla
2010-08-12, 11:23 AM
Affas pulls his hood down a bit further, aware that the patrons of the bar might not share Shade's preferences, and follows Aaron and Stergo inside.

Dekkah
2010-08-12, 11:31 AM
Ialen
Ialen follow inside and awnser Aaron
"I'll keep on the look out for possible trouble."
He stay to the side and let others speak while looking around for suspect attitudes from other patrons or employes.

Surrealistik
2010-08-12, 12:31 PM
With the team's passage assured at Affas' reveal, Ghoster does not deign to remove his disguise as it regroups and enters the bar, making certain to reholster and conceal his crossbow before joining his comrades. Once inside, the elf immediately takes careful stock of the pub's interior, his focused scrutiny sparing nothing.

Perception Check [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-08-12, 05:30 PM
Stepping theough the door you are immediatly struck by something completly alien to this distirct, lively music. Will not exceptional, Affas with his experience finds them competent, o Aaron and Strego it's an experience they haven't had since they've lived here. The place is well lit from hanging lanterns, everything is clean and fresh looking. Somehow a bar striaght from the middle district has found it's way here. Several dozen people occupy the various tables, most are half-elves but a wide range of races are present as well. Once again the people here aren't the typical type of the district. All look nourished and dressed in clothing that isn't a thread away from unraveling. Sitting near the bar, at a table by herself, sits a woman who could only be the dame. Her striking figure is highlighted by a rather reveling crimson dress of fine make. She is watching the group, a sly smile across her face with a mischeveous light on her eye.

MKnight
2010-08-12, 09:04 PM
Quinn

Quinn enters the building with the group. Upon hearing the music and seeing the rather nice surroundings whispers, albeit a little too loudly, "Well now. That's a bit unexpected. They must do pretty well for themselves here." As with the exterior of the building Quinn also eyes the possible exits from the bar along with a scan of the patrons.

OOC
Perception check for spotting the exits and scanning the crowd: [roll0]

Darla
2010-08-13, 05:06 AM
Affas takes a quick look around the bar and nods to Quinn saying under his breath, Indeed friend, mayhap this Shade is woman of civility, though verily these local troubadours are in need of some small guidance. He shifts slightly to ensure his sword remains covered beneath his cloak.

Emlyn
2010-08-13, 05:49 AM
The most obvoid exit is behind you, otherwise there is the staircase atthe back of the room to the second floor and a door behind the bar. Exaiming the people, both ghoster and Quinn see nothing to alarm them. Most carry a dagger or knife, but few would dare not in this district. None have the outward markings of being high level gang members, the tattos and piercings are missing. In fact, it's rather puzzeling as to who all these people are.

Deadly
2010-08-13, 06:16 AM
Music. It's been a while since Aaron has felt like indulging in such simple pleasures as singing and dancing, and now sadly isn't the time for it either. For a moment he stands and simply listens, then glances around casually but making sure to pay attention to anything of importance, in particular the various people all around. It certainly is an unexpected change of scenery.

May as well roll perception check for Aaron too, for good measure : [roll0]

And Insight to see if he can figure out what's up with the various people, if some of them may be hiding something : [roll1]

After having taken a good look around, he approaches Shade and bows politely. He doesn't take a seat, however, waiting for it to be offered. They are here to play it nice, after all "Greetings, m'lady. I am Aaron, and these my humble companions." He gestures generally towards the others

MKnight
2010-08-13, 12:20 PM
Quinn

Quinn approaches the table where Shade is sitting but stands behind Aaron and Stergo. As Aaron announces the group, Quinn gives a simple "ma'am" and bows with a smile while also maintaining eye contact with Shade.

Emlyn
2010-08-13, 04:34 PM
While Aaron sees nothing new, his time in the distirct gives him some idea as to who they might be. The only people with money that don't work for the gangs are the sweetshop bosses, and those in information trading or smuggling.

Shade laughs long and hard at your gretting. When she can finally breath again, she wipes the tears from her eyes and stands to greet you. "Excuse my outburst, I" another giggle escapse her. "Well you are from the outcast district no? Such a silly way to greet someone. Please, Shade is more then enough. Now then, please have a seat." shade says, indicating the five open spots. "Who do I havethe pleasure of meeting? Well except you Strego, we've meet before. However, if memory serves it was elsewhere. But anyway, your names and porpose."

Deadly
2010-08-13, 05:33 PM
Aaron chuckles a little, betraying completely that he feels a little stupid now. Regardless, he simply chuckles and takes the offered seat "Well, the change of scenery is mighty unusual, at least for one like me you understand. Hard to know which leg to stand on in such a situation. But Shade it is." He lets the others introduce themselves as they please, then turns to the matter of business "To tell the truth, we are here seeking information and was hoping you could help us in this."

Surrealistik
2010-08-13, 05:38 PM
"Garrick. Bodyguard."

Ghoster mumbles in clipped, nonchalant tones beneath his guise as he takes a seat. The elf's coarse, gravelly voice is subtly masked with refined enunciation, its cadence somewhat higher than usual.

MKnight
2010-08-13, 10:21 PM
Quinn

Very good Ghoster, He thinks to himself. Taking Ghoster's lead Quinn maintains his eye contact with Shade and says "The name's Behr."

Darla
2010-08-14, 03:27 AM
Affas takes the offered seat, trying as best he can to keep his back to the wall. He keeps his hood up and his eyes down.

"Saffa" he murmurs in a low tone, using his best half elf accent.

Emlyn
2010-08-14, 01:35 PM
A snort slips out of her, and despite clamping her hand over her mouth she bursts our laughing again. "Really, your fake name is your real one backwards? Affas, you silly silly elf. Next time Id recomend having Aaron here introduce everyone, he's more likely to pass off as believable. Helps that he's cute as well. she flashes he mischevous smile at him. "Give it a year or two and the girls will be falling head over heals for you, especially if you work that silver tongue on them."

Deadly
2010-08-14, 02:00 PM
"No fooling her... Better tread carefully here" Aaron ponders to himself as he takes careful stock of his "opponent", while outwardly chuckling "You have me there." Aaron is used to being the one in control, the one who plays with others and spins them around his fingers until they don't know what's up, not the one being toyed with. But then, Shade clearly isn't like his usual targets - not at all dim witted and easily swindled, or so it seems. But that only makes the challenge all the more thrilling...

Insight specifically on Shade, to see what kind of game she's playing with us. Aaron is pretty sure she's toying with them, but he may just be paranoid because that's what he usually does himself : [roll0]

MKnight
2010-08-14, 02:31 PM
Quinn

Quinn relaxes a bit as the tenseness seems to have left the table. With a smile he says"Perhaps we could get some drinks Ms. Shade?"

OOC Roll
Insight check on Slade to see if the persona she has is just a facade. [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-08-14, 06:22 PM
For all apperance, this is who Shade is. She has all the cards; knows it, but her personality means she enjoys te teasing.
"But of course, where are my manners?" she signals the bartender who begins geting drinks for everyone."Now, I'm sure you are wondering how I know who you are, but I don't give information away for free. Bad for my reputation and such. But before I scare you with talk of price, what is it you need my help with?"

Surrealistik
2010-08-14, 06:55 PM
Even behind the obfuscation of his meticulous acting and carefully assembled disguise, even despite the tempered callousness of a mind jaded and scarred, Ghoster's reaction to Shade's knowledge is one of barely concealed disbelief and amazement. Beyond a brief and momentary sea change in his expression however, the whispered intonations of a suspecting grimace, he betrays no further response, the elf's stark and tested discipline quickly reasserting itself.

Deadly
2010-08-15, 04:38 AM
"Fascinating..." Aaron begins to contemplate to himself. It all made sense, or at least it could make sense he thought. So far it was merely a guess. The man in the palace seemed to know all about them, even things he shouldn't be able to know, and needed their help. If Shade is not in some way connected with him - one of his spies perhaps - then she is another player in the bigger game, someone with her own pawns and interests in these affairs perhaps. She clearly has her feelers out, just as he must have had. Whether they are the same, Aaron can't tell just yet. If she is not with him, then perhaps it would be wise to learn her schemes and motives. Perhaps a chance for changing sides would even present iself - Aaron didn't much like doing the dirty work for a city which never treated him as anything but filth and wouldn't even allow him to pursue his search of his sister outside this damned hell hole. And if what the man in the palace said was true, an uprising around here was at hand. "This could get interesting" he repeated to himself, then turned back to the business at hand

"Ah yes. No more beating around the bush, as they say." He smiles and lowers his voice a little, perhaps mostly out of instinct "We seek information about a certain organisation. The Church of the Forsaken, specifically. Their recent dealings in particular." As he speaks he picks up his drink and swirls it around in the glass, taking a deep smell of its aromas. He may not have had much oportunity to enjoy fine drinks in the Outcast, but as any proper bard he does know the theory of how to carry himself in finer circles - including how to drink. Of course, what he's really worried about is poison. Growing up in the Outcast and making your living among thieves and worse makes you, above all, paranoid.

Not sure what the appropriate skill is, to examine the drink for poison or the like. Perception, Heal, Arcana or Nature perhaps? Depends on the poison, I'd guess. I'll just roll a d20 and you can add the appropriate modifier if needed.

[roll0]

Darla
2010-08-15, 05:22 AM
Upon hearing Shade's words to him, Affas blushes up to the tips of his ears, inwardly thanking his stars that his hood conceals the worst of his embarassment. However, this woman's friendly words and easy manner have peaked his interest and he relaxes slightly now the immediate threat of death seems to have passed, albeit - he assumes - briefly..

"M'lady..." he accedes, nodding to Shade. "Your insight is keen, pray forgive my rude attempt at deception. As you know my people are not widely welcomed by the good folk of this place, and it wounds me deeply to think my kin may have provoked such a wrath..." At this he does actually start to well up a little bit but quickly wipes away the gathering tears.. "Your welcome is as a ray of sunlight to me, though I admit I am curious to know how your most convivial demeanour towards one such as I endears you to your fellows here?"

I'm hoping to fit in a quick diplomacy check to help with any information gathering (and general not being killed..) [roll0]

Dekkah
2010-08-15, 08:28 AM
Ialen
She is either connected or in touch with the king advisor..., ponders Ialen.
Ialen nod politly and answer her,
"I am Ialen, priest of Pelor."
Ialen, keep silent, focusing his attention on Shade, trying to read her.

Ialen try to judge if/when she lie/hide information while she discuss with others.
Insight :[roll0]

Surrealistik
2010-08-15, 09:33 AM
Taking a moment to gather his wits, and turn over the possibilities, Ghoster allows the others their say before interjecting with a question of his own:

"What do you know about Ghoster?"

Emlyn
2010-08-15, 09:45 AM
Aaron can't detect any posion, instead he is able to savo he ich aroma of the drink. The drink is of fine quality, this would be expensive to purchese in the middle district. How it wound up here is mystary.

Shade laughs softly, "You flatter me, with your elogent language ane kind words. Pardon me Aaron as indulge this charming fellow. a couple more years and i'd be stuck on how to procede. But as I was saying, she says, her emerald eyes fixed upon Affas."I'm not sure when this started, but the king was attempting to gather enough support for some law or such. The elves saw an oppertunity to remove wha they considered a blight on their kind, us, while gaining favor with the king. If he made it law that half-elves were to be outcasts, they would support him. Prior to this half-elves held a second class citizenship, the elves despised us and the humans wanted nothing to do with those that were part elf. Support for the law was quick in comming, and shortly my kind found ourselves here. Over the next couple of years the other races you find here were banished as well. That concludes today's history lesson. Now, as for my views." A quick flick of her head sends h impeding hair out of her eyes. "I find it hard to believe that all elves hate us so, and you stand here as proof of this. Those that come to this district usually come for evil intent, but if they are comming to find me then at leas their goals aren't immediatly clear cut. Plus you are far better looking then the humans around here. she says coely, the mischevous grin lighting up her face. Turning back to Aaron, she says, "But enough pleasure, you came for business. So you are interested in thier supposed involvement with smuggeling? First of all, they are involved in smuggeling, but there isn't proof it's magical in nature. For sure they are involved with food and medicine since they go through far more then could be acquired here. But if I'm to tell you what I know, I require payment. No giving me Affas is not fair payment, though I'm sure we'd enjoy ourselves. If he wishes to stick around however..." she trails off, a coy smile glittering across her face. "Heres my proposal, you fulfill a task and one request and I'll share everything I know. Leads, contacts, all of it. Fair enough?"

Deadly
2010-08-15, 10:03 AM
Aaron sips his drink now that he's satisfied that it is not poisoned, enjoying the rich taste. Who knows when he'll ever be able to get something this good again. "Damn this is good. I swear sometimes I think what they serve outside is fermented sewage" He half thinks, half mutters to himself while Shade talks. Once Shade is done, he looks up and ponders her proposition "One task, and one request? So two things? What exactly would these be, then?"

Emlyn
2010-08-15, 10:14 AM
"Its fairly straightforward, emisarries from two rival gangs are meeting today and I need you to ensure they end up dead. I hold valuble intel over both gangs, and if they join forces they'll have enough influence and strentgh to bust down my doors and kill me. I'd rather that not happen. If both groups die they'll suspect a third gang, probably leading to a fight which should keep the balance of power intact. As for the request," she turns to Affas, her smile returning. "A single kiss from the charming elf."

MKnight
2010-08-15, 11:09 AM
Quinn

Quinn takes his drink, lifts the glass, and nods to Shade. Noticing no one else seems worse for drinking theirs he takes a sip and then another. Shade then makes her proposal for the task we are to accomplish for her before she will divulge the information. Alot to ponder, Quinn thinks, Wiping out some rival gang members is no small task... and yet if we do so then we will have all the information she has on the Church's activities as well as contacts to gain more. Hmmm. We've seen what the gangs do to the people of this district, a few less of the gangs wouldn't be a bad thing.

Addressing Shade, "May we have a moment to confer over your generous proposal?... though for the request <chuckle> it seems you need only wait for Affas answer."

Darla
2010-08-15, 03:08 PM
Upon hearing Shade's account of the district's dark history Affas is deeply disturbed and he chokes back his 'emotion', surreptitiously wiping his eye. That fellow elves would seek to force another race, and their own half-brothers at that, into a state of such cutural degeneration appalls him to his core.

My lady, let me assure you that the blighted and ignoble history of this place brings shame to me and those of my people who so unjustly sought to subjugate your fair race. I shall pray to Corellon that you may find the talents and the strength to regain your righful place in this land. If I could but... but he chokes and turns away, all too aware of his own weaknesses in this foreign land.

As the group begins negotiations, Affas regains some of his composure. At Shade's request however his blush edges up further until the tips of his ears glow a deep red. M.. m... my lady he stutters, and lightly kisses her hand before sinking back into his chair.

Perhaps Corellon has sent me here to free my half elven brothers from this unjust oppression, he ponders. But to incite others to murder in such an underhand way? Mayhap if I were to challenge these gangs leaders to a duel I could defeat them in fair and honourable combat? But these are not the ways of this place... if I am to do right by these folk I must follow their ways, at least until I have greater understanding of them. I shall see what my noble companions think is the most beneficial path for us to take...

As the group convene to discuss the proposals, Affas says quietly Fellows I am uneasy in this venture, fearing that it may lead to dishonour for us, but I shall follow your wise advice, what say you to this fair lady's plan to rid this place of these criminals?

Deadly
2010-08-15, 04:36 PM
Aaron chuckles, clearly amused at Shades little request of Affas. He then ponders the task she wants of them. After a moment he says to the others "These aren't exactly innocent men, so I have no moral qualms about this endeavour. But we'd better not leave any witnesses, or the gangs will know what happened and things'll get ugly real fast." He turns to Shade "You're certain they won't suspect you rather than a third gang?"

Emlyn
2010-08-15, 05:34 PM
"Thank you good elf for your kindness." Shade replies to Affas display. While you discuss she leans back, sipping her drink. At Aarons question she leans forward, a smile on her face.Ive been playing these gangs for the last four odd years, I know how they work. Of course It'll help when they come running to me for information that Ill implicat their rival.

Deadly
2010-08-15, 05:38 PM
"Fascinating" Aaron smirks, then regards the rest of the gang "Any objections?"

Surrealistik
2010-08-15, 06:15 PM
Ghoster gives his head a curt shake. "Sooner we get down to business the better."

He then turns towards Shade.

"As for my question?"

Emlyn
2010-08-15, 10:27 PM
"Ahh yes, my appologizes. Unfortunatlybypu don't have the charm or looks of Affas here, proving not all elves are good looking." she chuckles, then closely exaimes him. "Now first of all I was only informed of your names and general discription. But I have a keen eye, so let's see here. Ghoster is a fake name, though one you've used for some time. Despite being an elf, you don't affiliate with them and I'd guess you didn't grow up with them. Your disguise is well made and your manner is controlled and calculating, you've recieved training from a perfesional, The two assassin guilds or the army. I'd venture the army as the guilds aren't too keen on letting talent slip away, or anyone for that matter. However most surprising to me is that the thing that marks you as an elf, your spark, is barely present. Something in your life brutalized you, stripped you of nearly everything that made you elven. I think that's pretty through for just observing, no?

Surrealistik
2010-08-16, 01:45 AM
The tiny dint of a wry, vaguely impressed smile lightens Ghoster's countenance as Shade lays him bare, his arms expectantly crossed, projecting a sense of clear anticipation.

"Not well enough it seems. Don't know whether to be insulted or flattered; guess I'll settle for both."

The elf now leans ever so slightly forward, gaze leveled squarely at his hostess, whatever scant, false warmth that had previously lingered there now wholly extirpated with a sudden, frigid gravity. He continues, words heavy with fatal promise:

"But I'm certain of one thing: you know too much, see too much for your own good, and it's going to be the death of you."

Darla
2010-08-16, 05:44 AM
Affas casts his eye quickly over Ghoster, shocked and saddened by what he has heard, but he soon averts his glance, not wishing to offend his comrade.

This lady has a keen eye, he thinks, her allegiances in this place must stretch far and wide. Mayhap her natural skill is enhanced by arcane means; I must be on my guard lest other less cordial citizens use similar powers against our group.

Turning to the group, Fellows, I shall follow your judicious counsel, let us away.

MKnight
2010-08-16, 07:05 AM
Quinn

Quinn hears the exchange between Ghoster and Shade. No matter what Ghoster says, he thinks, that was an impressive bit of knowledge. I'm curious what she knows of me but I dare not ask in this public forum... not that it matters because it seems my secrets will be revealed soon enough.

Unwilling to speak at the moment, Quinn remains quiet. He swirls his drink and takes a few final sips. It seems we are about to enter some trouble. Might as well enjoy myself a moment longer.

Emlyn
2010-08-16, 09:37 AM
Shade laughs away Ghoster's grim talk. "You are quiet right, this job will be the death of me. But all roads in this place lead to an early grave, and this is one of the nicer ones." a brief hint of longing edges into her voice when she mentions death, but it vanishes before it can barely register. She stands, signaling the end of your meeting. "Ive enjoyed this chat, and I hope you've found it benifical. Aaron should be able to find the warehouse, he robbed it 3 months ago. Please, let me show you out." Shade escorts you to the door and informs the bouncers you are to be admitted no questions asked. Before Affas can exit though, she gently grabs him and gives him a quick peck on the cheek. "Be safe, I want to see you again." she whispers in hi ear

MKnight
2010-08-16, 12:31 PM
Quinn

Once we've left the tavern Quinn turns to Affas. With a wink and a nudge he says "Well... you made quite an impression on her! That she's taken by one in our group sure does make it easier to deal with her. And a solid source of information is key to our success. Excellent work."

Deadly
2010-08-16, 02:11 PM
Aaron finishes his drink, a little more quickly than he'd have liked, then chuckles "Oh yes... that place. We'll find it, no problem. And thanks for the drink, and hospitality, it's been a pleasure" he says and bows politely before they are led outside.

Once out and not within immediate sight or hearing of the guards his face grows more serious "Very tactful," he says, speaking to Ghoster "openly threatening one of our perhaps most significant sources of information. We're damned lucky she appears to be very light hearted and slow to anger, at least openly. Should have just scowled and kept quiet, ya know." He sighs, turning back to everyone "No changing that now, though, but in the future we should all guard our words more carefully. I doubt everyone will be as seemingly friendly as Shade. Anyway, I certainly do not trust her, and I don't think she'd be surprised to hear that. Nor should anyone else be, noone really trusts anyone around here. She will either be a very powerful ally, or a very powerful enemy. Only time can tell which it will be, but we shouldn't strive to make it the latter if we can avoid it."

Surrealistik
2010-08-16, 02:35 PM
Ghoster firmly meets Aaron's gaze, his expression every bit as cold and unflinching as with Shade.

"It ain't a threat, it's a fact, an' she knows it just as well as I do... maybe better."

He shoots a transient glance towards the bar, edges of his lips curling imperceptibly into the bare intonations of a grimace.

"As for the broad herself, 'course she ain't to be trusted. She knows too much, and we too little."

A slow panning shake of his head illustrates the elf's misgivings.

I don't like it, and I don't like her. First off, we ain't killin' our marks outright so much as capturin' and interrogatin' them. We're gonna pick their brains for the low down, both 'bout her and the general situation; makes things a little more... equitable. Grease em after if we need to, but we take em alive if we can."

Deadly
2010-08-16, 03:01 PM
"And if she knows, there's no reason telling her. If you want to be in control of things, it's what you don't say that matters. Let people make assumptions and guesses about you. I think she knows THAT very well. And she knows at least as much about us all as that fop back in the palace, and if she somehow has an interest in what goes on here - and I think she has - then I'd rather work for someone like her than for a city who treats me like dirt. Provided she could ensure our secrets remain so, clearly. I will not foil a possible future opportunity for changing sides already, just because people can't keep their mouths shut." Aaron begins to walk in the direction of the warehouse as he talks "As for this task, we need to see the place first, what the situation and circumstances are, before we can decide how to handle it. Let's do some scouting first. It could be a trap, after all, but if it's not I'm all for learning all we can as long as we do not compromise the good will of our new "friend". Let's play along and see where this goes."

Surrealistik
2010-08-16, 03:27 PM
Ghoster begins to move, pursing his lips in measured exhalation, the passage of his breath almost like a sigh.

"And that ain't apparent until she acknowledges it. Not every dealer's wise to the inevitable outcome of their work, 'specially the best, the most cocky, but it comes for em just the same, even in particular. Hell it's a backhanded complement if anythin'."

Another shake of his head.

"An' I ain't out for control; not like that. I can no more turn the tables with simple words than I can put a bolt through 'er head without the world comin' down on me. Fact is there's a lotta presumption goin' on with you Aaron, but precious little hits the mark."

He turns from the bard, alert eyes sweeping out in front and to the side in their usual display of caution.

"Now when it comes to the job, I said if we can. 'Course the circumstances matter, 'course we need to recon, an' of course we ain't doin' it if that means Shade ain't givin' us our due. Bottom line is we haul em live if possible."

Deadly
2010-08-16, 03:44 PM
"I think we agree, then. All I wish is to play things nice and smooth, and not give people any reason to think we're against them, which we may in fact not be - including not making vaguely threatening remarks, or remarks that could possibly be seen as such, to people who may be crucial to our success unless we absolutely have to. There's a time for everything, and right now it's time for caution, I'd say. But let's move on, before we get all worked up about this." His usually friendly demeanor is slowly returning, although it's clear that he's taking the events unfolding around him extremely serious

Surrealistik
2010-08-16, 03:59 PM
"Smooth's what I'm all about, now let's get down to it."

Replies Ghoster, as he maintains a careful lookout.

Deadly
2010-08-16, 04:04 PM
Aaron nods and leads the way, trying to take a slight round-about way so as to get into a position for one of the stealthy folk to scout out the place and report on the situation. A rooftop near the warehouse or something. "No way in hell I'm just walking right into it" he thinks to himself

MKnight
2010-08-16, 09:30 PM
Quinn

"Hmmm. Nasty business. So we're going to try to interrogate them to get information about the church, about Shade, and whatever else they can tell us... right? So at that point we have, presumably, a bunch of information but how do we know if their information is as good versus what Shade knows. And what do we do with them when they get down telling us all they know? Don't we risk Shade's trust, odd as that sounds in this line of work, if we don't carry out the task as described? Seems like She has access to way more info that a bunch of gang emissaries will. I'm just sayin'"

Surrealistik
2010-08-16, 10:17 PM
Ghoster's head makes a terse, dissenting pivot.

"She just wants em dead; ain't said nothin' about interrogatin' em before the fact. Bottom line is takin' down this job and scorin' some secondary intel ain't mutually exclusive, so if we can, we're doin' it."

The elf casts a sideways glance towards Aaron.

"As for the warehouse, a briefin' on the layout and exterior's in order. Maybe you can draw us a map 'fore we get started. When that's outta the way, I'll recon n' report."

Deadly
2010-08-17, 03:50 AM
"Right..." Aaron pauses to look for something to write on and with. Finding an old piece of paper stuck to a crumbling wall - once a poster no doubt - and some small pieces of coal scattered about, he makes a quick sketch of the warehouse and surroundings as best as his memory will serve "Don't rely on it too heavily, it has been some months since I was there" he hands it to Ghoster and gives a swift briefing on the various parts

Darla
2010-08-17, 04:12 AM
At Shade’s final words to him, Affas gives a flourishing bow and murmurs “My lady” before turning and leaving the bar, cloak flapping in the breeze. He nods to Quinn, still blushing and smiling rather widely now, “Indeed friend Quinn, though tis my duty to aid those in need and whose natural talents are being so cruelly suppressed, I must say I am greatly flattered by this fair lady’s attentions. If our path does indeed cross with hers in these matters then such an alliance would truly please me. I just pray that the hardships of this place have not placed her out of Corellon’s reach...”

During Ghoster and Aaron’s discussion, Affas remains silent, pondering their words and Shade’s.

“I am inclined to agree with friend Quinn here my fellows, twould be most ignoble and would mayhap bring great risk to us to betray this fair lady. However, this place is strange and, I admit, unnerves me; friend and foe go unmarked and though she be fair and graceful, it would be foolishness to assume we can understand all of this great lady’s motives. Corellon teaches us to nurture our talents and skills and we would be most unwise, I think, to disregard our instincts in this matter. We must question these rude criminals and so increase our knowledge of the situation we are in, for without knowledge we are nothing. However, I will not act to betray the lady unless we have strong proof that she has been false to us; I am no turncoat and my sword shall not be bought and sold at a whim.”

Listening to the group’s plan, Affas nods, “A sensible approach my friends. I am not, alas, lightfooted but perhaps I may be of use in standing watch while friend Ghoster enters the area? If any suspicious guard approaches I may be able to distract him with a fair tale of my homeland for these are known to enthral even the most hard-hearted soul? Once we are ready to tackle these fellows, my sword shall be at your service.”

"Although", Affas continues after several moments' pause, "if we were to be set upon by curious folk, it needs be necessary that I remain in disguise. Therefore I would regail them with tales of my homeland, but from a half-elf's perspective." He winks, pleased with his new found levels of cunning.

MKnight
2010-08-17, 07:27 AM
Quinn

Quinn listens to Aaron's description of the building. When he is done with his briefing Quinn seeks out Ghoster.
"Mr. Ghoster... Would you be needing any assistance on your recon mission?" And with that Quinn lifts his tattered cloak just a bit to reveal a set of footpads and the hint of a lockpick set.

Surrealistik
2010-08-17, 10:14 AM
Ghoster's eyes do not waver from their routine sweeps as he responds to Affas.

"No one's betrayin' anyone. We're keepin' our word and doin' the job. I ain't like Shade, nor do I trust 'er, but that alone ain't gonna make me into a backstabber. Got a word o advice for you though: I'd get cool to the broad, lest your judgment suffer just like she wants."

Ghoster nods at Aaron's warning, carefully studying the provided layout in unbroken silence, the neutrality of his features giving to way to intent concentration.

"No doubt whatever crates were there at the time have moved, but the main structure probably hasn't changed a lick."

Looking up from the impromptu map as Quinn speaks, the bowman's mouth looses a brief, rasping chuckle.

"Yeah... figured you'd be up for it Quinn. Ain't surprise me none, that's for damn sure. Long as you can keep yourself hidden I ain't got a problem with company."

He hands Quinn the paper.

"Take a look see and get familiar. Rest of you can study at your leisure 'till we get back."

HeroComplex
2010-08-17, 10:38 AM
Stergo

Stergo sat through the negotiations in stony silence, ignoring the drinks as they're provided. Grunting brusquely at Shade's proposition. "It figures she'd be getting us to do her dirty work."

Once they're outside the bar, however, he's quick to make his opinions known. "That flaming harlot is slicker and more dangerous than burning oil on water," he growls angrily. "She'll probably be able to keep from taking any of the heat for this. If it came to it, she'd sell us out faster than you can think. We need to be cautious."

As they make their way through the Outcast, Stergo keeps his eyes open for trouble, hands never far from the dagger at his waist.

"Let's get this over with."

Emlyn
2010-08-17, 11:21 AM
The warehouse is a two story affair, with housing on it's east side and another warehouse on the other. When Aaron hit the building he got in through a second story window via the roof of one of the houses. Along with the main enterance there is a exit on the back of the building. As for the interior, a walkway goes around the entire second floor with smaller storage rooms off it. The main floor was mainly clear with only two rooms that once may have been offices. Whether there will be cargo in the warehouse is uncertain, no one owns these warehouses and the gangs and smuggelers use them as needed.

As you get within a few blocks off the place you spot two guards standing outside the main door. Aaron quickly leads the group down a side ally and towards the back of the building.

MKnight
2010-08-17, 12:16 PM
Quinn

Quinn takes the map from Ghoster and nods. He then studies the map with more of an intense stare than anyone has seen out of him. His eyes dart from one side of the map to the other. After his moments of study are over he hands it back to Aaron. "I think I've got it... thanks my good man." His jovial side has returned.

Led by Aaron we take the side alley and head towards the back of the warehouse. To Ghoster he whispers "Second floor window via that house's roof like Aaron did or you have another plan?"

HeroComplex
2010-08-17, 01:09 PM
Stergo

"Did you see anyone inside?" Stergo asks. If they've already got guards on the doors, we may be late to setting up a decent ambush."

Surrealistik
2010-08-17, 01:40 PM
Ghoster takes careful note of the guards, covertly gauging the pair for a moment with the razor edge of his peripheral sight. Once satisfied with these observations, he ducks into the alley and begins briefing after a cursory sweep of the area.

"Alright, first, we'll sweep the perimeter, checkin' any windows and the back entrance. If the rear ain't guarded, we'll wedge it shut, nice n' tight, and that goes for any other exits we find. After that's done with, and we scout em out from the roof, we'll know how to proceed."

He again pauses to take note of his surroundings, being careful to confirm the group's solitude before he continues.

"Personally though, I'm thinkin' we do this in two groups. Anyone handy with a bow or some other ranged weapon will make a roof insertion with me. Rest of you wait on my signal to strike; wait till we're out of sight then get to work. Take out the front guards, by whatever means necessary, quieter the better, and wedge the main doors. This'll be a classic flank job; one team draws the attention, other team lays into em hard. Reverse roles once they start respondin' to the heat. Of course, their interior disposition could thwart this little plan o' mine so we'll see if any changes are necessary. Questions?"

Rolls:
Perception check to size up the guards: [roll0]

MKnight
2010-08-17, 08:49 PM
Quinn

"Hmmm. Well if that's the plan then I'd like to be with the team to take out the front two guards. I think I can get to them before they'll notice me."

Surrealistik
2010-08-17, 09:13 PM
"We still have the scoutin' to do if you're up for it. Rapple down when we're finished; I brought rope, n' gear, and I suspect you got some too."

Emlyn
2010-08-18, 01:29 AM
The guards are rather far away and the lighting isn't great so Ghoster is unable to notice anything specifically except that they look human.

Darla
2010-08-18, 03:32 AM
Affas clearly takes some time to digest Ghoster and Stergo's words, My thanks for your concern friends, I shall indeed beware the wiles of this woman. It's just that her tale, it was so... moving. And he turns away, before his allies see his emotion.

At the warehouse, Affas nods, I shall be ready to advance on your signal, Ghoster, who else shall stand by me at the main door? Mayhap we should taunt or persuade the guards into leaving their post and then turn on them wiht great vigour once they are away from the main building?

He takes out his shiny sword and gives it a quick polish, surreptitiously checking his hair in the reflection.

MKnight
2010-08-18, 07:19 AM
Quinn

Continuing the conversation with Ghoster, Quinn says
"Yeah... I've got that covered." Quinn gives him half-smile and shakes his head.

Turning to affas.
"Once Ghoster and I are done gathering information I'll be joining you for the assault on the main doors. Depending on what we find out we'll decide how to proceed with the guards."

Darla
2010-08-18, 08:22 AM
OK Quinn, I'll await your return. Good luck my fellows.

As those that are doing so make their way onto the roof, Affas attempts to look inconspicuous, stepping back into the shadows and hunkering down behind a crate.

Stealth check [roll0]

HeroComplex
2010-08-18, 08:49 AM
Stergo

Stergo nods his head at the plan. "I will go with team to the roof. They'll need a little extra strength if this goes south, and I can be effective from a range, have no doubts."

Stergo climbs along with the others and gets into position for the breech.

Deadly
2010-08-18, 11:36 AM
"I'm best at a range, aiding from behind... so I think I'll pick that job" Aaron says, before Ghoster and Quinn run off to scout out the place

Surrealistik
2010-08-18, 01:23 PM
Ghoster nods as Aaron sounds off his preference.

"Right then, it's settled."

The bowman makes for the rear, slinking low to the ground, body crouched almost imperceptibly in the shadows. Momentarily, he turns his head, eyes settling on Quinn as he thrusts his chin forward.

"Let's move."

With another silent step, the darkness swallows him fully.

Stealth: [roll0]

MKnight
2010-08-18, 05:57 PM
Quinn

Quinn nods back.
"After you..."

Sticking to the shadows and whatever cover is available, Quinn follows Ghoster from a safe distance.

Stealth check including footpads: [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-08-20, 06:28 PM
Slipping silently among the Shadows, Quinn and Ghoster make their way into the warehouse. The window is still broken, hardly surprising and they easily make their way into the building. Muffled voices are heard coming from the main room. The room you've entered is mostly empty, a few broken crates and dust are all that remain. The door is unlocked, in fact it has practically rotted off its hinges, and you enter onto the balcony. Down bellow you spy eight people, four half-elves and four tieflings. Two are talking, currently making small talk, while the others appear just to be there for muscle. Looking around, they are all the people you can see, though there are the two rooms on the bottom floor that you can't see into.

Surrealistik
2010-08-20, 11:18 PM
Ghoster makes a slow and meticulous appraisal of the room and its disposition, as well those of the gangsters within, a keen, searching eye paying particular attention to their armaments and equipment, and any environmental elements that might prove of tactical consequence.

Satisfied, he slinks around the catwalk, remaining low to the ground in a squat hunch, taking careful note of the layout surrounding the front and rear exits, and points of access to the balcony.

Perception: Detailed examination of the gangsters, taking 10 for 19, if not possible: [roll0]

MKnight
2010-08-21, 08:42 AM
Quinn

Moving around the second floor with silent grace, Quinn's expression is stony face. In the room, as vacant as it is, he still gives a visual inspect of the broken crates, window they came through, and door they will exit to explore the rest of the second floor. Leaving the room, Quinn is with Ghoster on the balcony. Treading lightly and low to the floor, he moves from shadow to shadow while taking special note of the different voices coming from the first floor. With silent gestures and body language he conveys how many of them he thinks are down there to Ghoster. He also conveys the idea that there are two rooms that represent unknowns at the present time.

Perception check trying to gather information specifically about the two rooms on the first floor (doors open/closed, voices coming out from them, etc). [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-08-28, 03:56 PM
Quinn is not capable of looking through two shut doors. Ghoster's careful scan of the men gives him a fairly good idea of what they are dealing with. Both of the men talking are well armed and armored, there men each carry a sword but little in the way of armor. All appear to be on edge.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/rect3790.png

Surrealistik
2010-08-29, 09:41 PM
With a pitch of his head, Ghoster gestures towards the room situated immediately above one of the two on the first floor. With one of his hands, he then pantomimes a waving pattern, closely resembling a set of stairs, while the other points towards the indicated room. He points at himself, then again at the same space. The elf then extends a finger at Quinn, and towards the area located above the other room on the first floor as if directing his comrade towards it, before making his way towards the entrance of the first room he designated. Crouching near the threshold, he gently places an ear against the door, listening carefully for any signs of an inhabitant.

Perception: Take 10 for 19, otherwise [roll0]

MKnight
2010-08-30, 06:37 AM
Quinn

Nodding at Ghoster's suggestion Quinn cautiously moves to the other door. Blending into the shadows he approaches the door and gives a listen.

Perception check at the door: [roll0]

Emlyn
2010-08-31, 12:35 PM
No sound comes from the room. Inside you do indeed find the flight of stairs, though no sound wafts up from the room bellow.

Surrealistik
2010-08-31, 03:29 PM
Slowly and cautiously, Ghoster creeps down the stairway to the first floor. Upon locating the door present there, he quietly moves to wedge and jam the portal shut, delicately slipping steel pitons and crossbow bolts in crevices between its frame and the floor, until it is solidly blocked. He then moves upstairs and similarly braces the second door leading into the stairwell from the catwalk before assuming a position adjacent to the room they came in, keeping a wary eye on the group below, and another searching for Quinn.

Upon seeing his Quinn emerge from the stairwell and wedge its door, Ghoster will extract onto the roof. Obviously if he hears or sees any gangsters in or down the stairwell on the first floor, he will turn around, wedge the door on the second floor, and otherwise act as stated above.

MKnight
2010-08-31, 05:01 PM
Quinn

Taking a few pitons, Quinn wedges shut the first floor and second floor doors to the room housing the stairs on the other side of the building from Ghoster. Cautiously as possible he moves to rejoin Ghoster thru the room they entered the building and then back to the roof.

Emlyn
2010-08-31, 06:10 PM
The door blocked, Ghoster and Quinn emerge back onto the roof. It appears that all is in preparation for the next phase of their plans.

Surrealistik
2010-08-31, 07:55 PM
Ghoster affixes a rope to the side of the building, and gently eases it towards the ground below.

"Summon the others and pass on the layout; I'll keep watch until Strego and Aaron arrive." Whispers the elf.

MKnight
2010-08-31, 09:03 PM
Quinn

Ghoster lowers the rope as Quinn watches in amusement. As soon as it reaches the ground he nods in acknowledgement of the plan. He then moves his left hand across his body and grabs a part of the tattered cloak. His right hand raises up and grabs another part of the cloak. In a twisting motion he whirls the cloak around his body and to the ground revealing a different persona. Quinn now stands 3 inches taller with sleek black hair, dark blue eyes, and skin a shade or two darker. His leather armor now in plain view features a black camouflaged pattern. Wrapped around his body is a spiked chain whose ends he grabs by the time the cloak hits the ground. With a step towards the roof edge he disappears. A split second later finds him adjacent to Aaron and the others.

“Its time to begin” he says as he scans their faces. “Here’s what we found on the inside”.

Quinn describes the layout of the first and second floors including the positions of the rooms with stairs whose doors were wedged. He also gives an account of the numbers of gang members they could see. When he is finished he says:
“Alright. That’s what we know. Aaron. Stergo. Ghoster is waiting up top for the two of you. Affas… you’re with me.”

Deadly
2010-09-01, 01:14 PM
Aaron offers a confused look at the new appearance of Quinn. "Full of surprises, these people" He doesn't say anything, though, merely nods briefly and then he's on his way to where Ghoster is waiting.

MKnight
2010-09-01, 02:27 PM
Quinn

Just before Aaron turns to leave Quinn says:
"You're all probably a little confused and understandably so. We all have secrets but right now I need to be committed to the business at hand and that means this" and he gestures to himself "If we are to be comrades in arms then I'll just need to trust you all. I apologize for the abruptness."

Darla
2010-09-02, 03:20 AM
Affas stares open-mouthed at Quinn, impressed by his strange magics but even more so by his new look and kick-ass armour. It seems I have a rival for the most dashing member of the party award, muses Affas troubled. Although, he thinks, brightening up, perhaps friend Quinn will share with me the secret of his hair's mysterious lustre? The party sees Affas looked shockedly at Quinn, before he begins, seemingly inexplicably, to examine his own hair...

Jolted back to their situation by Quinn's words to him, Affas takes out his sword and gives his hair one last check in his shiny shield before bowing to Quinn: "My friend, your magics are most impressive and your new garb is most intriguing to me..." his teeth seem to be clenched as he says this though he recovers himself quickly.. "Fear not for our discretion, I shall guard your secret with my very life. Now, shall we proceed?" At this he gazes lovingly at his blade and smiles, fondly. The party notices a somewhat zealous and disturbing glint appear in his eyes, which they had not noticed before...

Emlyn
2010-09-06, 01:11 PM
Everyone arrives in position with out any trouble. The plan is ready to commence.

Surrealistik
2010-09-06, 01:20 PM
The rest of the party finds Ghoster waiting at the bottom of the rope.

"One last thing; I want to make absolutely sure you guys out front don't get swamped. Don't attack until you hear us takin' care of business inside. Now let's get to it."

With the last detail taken care of, the elf silently resumes his rooftop position. As Stergo and Aaron venture into the building, he addresses them with a subdued rasp:

"We're gonna play some tricks here; claim we're with one of the gangs as we attack, get some confusion goin'."

The bowman looks to his deva companion.

"Aaron, I take it you know their names so we got an allegiance to shout out when we throw down. Focus on one of the gangs until they're all dead, we gotta break with the deception, or it ain't look like they're buyin'."

Deadly
2010-09-06, 03:14 PM
Aaron nods his agreement with the plan and checks his equipment to make sure he has it all at the ready "Let's get to work, then"

Surrealistik
2010-09-06, 03:27 PM
"Yeah, but remember, we take the emissaries live if we can. When we got em bruised and broken, we might be able to force a surrender."

He turns to face the sorcerer.

"Think you might be the best for that Stergo; you Dragonborn look plenty intimidatin', and right now, that's just what we need."

MKnight
2010-09-06, 05:37 PM
Quinn

Speaking to Affas:
"You heard the man. We wait til we hear the mayhem inside then we take out the two guards in front."

Darla
2010-09-07, 02:33 AM
Understood Affas nods, gently stroking his sword, ready when you are.

HeroComplex
2010-09-07, 11:30 AM
Stergo

Stergo nods in agreement. "By the time we're through with them, they'll either be begging for us to stop," he pauses to crack the knuckles in his scaly hands, "Or they'll wish they had."

As they group readies themselves for combat, Stergo assumes a strong one-handed grip on his staff with his left hand while his right hand reaches into his robe to draw a glittering dagger from his belt. The dagger looks light in his hand and deadly sharp. He gives it a couple test swipes at the air, and it looks almost as if it has a life of its own, practically anticipating it's owner's motions, so fast it moves.

Not so apparent to the group, however, is what is going on inside Stergo's mind. Steeling his mind against the soon-to-be raging energies inside of him, he takes the burning ember of power inside his being and begins pouring his anger, fear, frustration, and grief over it, turning it into a raging inferno in his consciousness. When he re-opens his eyes, they're sharper, clearer, and incredibly, they seem deadlier.

"Let's go."

Surrealistik
2010-09-07, 08:07 PM
"Right then."

Nods the elf as he begins his descent into the building.

"We're gonna 'side' with the Half-Elves, unless either of you think better. Split up and spread out; we want multiple vantages. Ain't hurt to trick em into thinkin' we're more than we are neither. Moment they take note, and start lookin' for you, we open fire."

He raises a hand as if to caution.

"And be careful; while we got the stairwells to 'n from the second floor blocked off, those doors are old 'n shoddy and they probably ain't gonna hold well."

Upon landing, Ghoster draws and checks his crossbow before taking up a position in the southwest corner behind the railing. Leveling his weapon, aim squared upon the tiefling leader, he awaits Aaron's bluff...

Deadly
2010-09-08, 05:04 AM
While the plans are being hatched and explained by Ghoster, Aaron takes the time to mess up his look a little, to make himself look more like a gang member. He recalls the gang he thinks most likely to work in the situation and tries to remember their particular style and associations. He also performs a few practice lines to prepare for the bluff, finding just the right tone and voice.

Performing Glib Limerick ritual. Takes a minute, which probably fits well with Ghoster's planning of the attack. Since it is a 1st level bard power I don't need to expend components. Also, no check needed.

Then, upon Ghoster's word, he descends into the "arena". His face is business-like and his weapons unconceiled though not yet drawn as he approaches the group with an air of confidence. "Northside's here for the deal. A bunch of Dogs got in our face, but they ain't barkin' no more. North himself sends his regards" he says without blinking as he addresses the obvious leader of the assembled people. He's not too concerned about invoking the wrath of North and his gang; if everything goes as planned none of these people will live to tell anyone about it.

Just came up with a random gang name and details. Hope it's ok.

Bluff check, rolling twice with Glib Limerick: [roll0] or [roll1], whichever is higher

Edit: Add 6 to that from Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes, for a total of 27

Surrealistik
2010-09-08, 09:48 AM
With that, Ghoster looses a carefully aimed bolt at the gangster emissary. The racing, glacial steel penetrates cleanly through the surprised tiefling's chest, leaving behind a gruesome, bloody wake.

Surprise Round:

Initiative: [roll0]

Free Action: Frost Superior Crossbow, change damage type to cold.

Standard Action: Unbalancing Strike vs Tiefling Leader
Attack Roll: [roll1] vs AC (Combat Advantage)
Damage Roll: [roll2] (Unbalancing Strike, cold damage) + [roll3] (Sneak Attack) = 34 damage total.
Effect: Target is slowed until the end of my next turn.

First Two Actions of First Round (if I do not act before the gangsters do):

Move Action: Closest location with concealment or cover at least 3 squares away from my current position that still gives me line of sight to the enemy, and make a Stealth check with Cunning Sneak.
Stealth Check: [roll4]

Minor Action: Reload crossbow.

Emlyn
2010-09-09, 02:13 PM
Both groups look at Arron suspiciously as he approaches. However it quickly turns to confusion as he introduces himself. "Wait, what is are you even doing here? I thought we'd already worked out that agreement." The half-elf leader replies. That line of question is quickly forgotten as Ghoster's arrow slams into the Tiefling's shoulder. "We are betrayed, get them my brothers!" the Tiefling snarls, drawing his weapon. "Lies! You!" he says, turning towards Arron. "This half-elf must be behind this. Kill him!"

34 damage to Tiefling Leader

Strego please select somewhere on the map to be

Quinn, Strego, and Ghoster's turn.

Quinn: 33/33 hp
Strego: 39/39 hp
Ghoster 40/40 hp, cover
Enemies
Arron: 39/39 hp
Leaders
Affas: 46/46 hp

Map

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/warehouse2.png

Surrealistik
2010-09-09, 06:03 PM
Ghoster calmly reloads his weapon and fires another meticulously centred shot at the ranting tiefling before deftly vanishing into the shadows, his cool disposition unperturbed by the mounting chaos.

Round 1 Actions:

Standard Action: Sly Flourish vs Tiefling Leader
Attack Roll: [roll0] vs AC (Combat Advantage)
Damage Roll: [roll1] (Sly Flourish, cold damage) (16 see OOC thread) + [roll2] (Sneak Attack) = 23 damage total.
Effect: None.

Move Action: Move to cover behind F21.
Stealth Check: Roll as per prior post (25).

HeroComplex
2010-09-09, 07:28 PM
Stergo

As Aaron was giving his speech, Stergo has made his way down the stairs to a dark corner of the room, observing the proceedings. When the gangsters figure out what's going on, he steps up boldly to the nearest lacky and taps him on the shoulder. As the poor sap turns, Stergo says, "Hi there!" and releases a burning spray of fire at him and the emissary behind him.

Move to O8
Standard: Burning Spray - [roll0] against R2's reflex; [roll1] against RL's reflex.
Hit: [roll2] Fire damage
Effect: Dragon Magic: The next enemy that hits you with a
melee attack before the end of your next turn takes fire damage equal to your Strength modifier (3).

MKnight
2010-09-09, 08:29 PM
Quinn

While staring at the guards at the front of the warehouse Quinn whispers to Affas: "Sounds like a party in there...that must be our cue". And with that he bolts forward towards the guards stopping short by many feet. As he moves though he unfurls the spiked chain from around his body, twists, and swings it at one of the guards. He does not say a word to them as he makes his attack.

OOC Rolls
Actions:
Move - to Q25

Free - Assassin's shroud on the guard at K25

Standard - Inescapable Blade on guard at M25
(reach 2 weapon + 2 additional reach)
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Damage: [roll1] (includes +3 since at the time of attack no enemies were adjacent to the target)

Emlyn
2010-09-10, 02:59 PM
The tiefling leader lets out a scream of rage as another bolt connects. Upon hearing Strego he whirls around just in time to get a face full of flame. "Get that dragonborne. Damnit kill it now!"

One half-elf moves towards Arron, his sword slashing towards him with deadly intent. Meanwhile Strego quickly finds himself surrounded and taking a beating from the swarming tieflings.

23 damage to the tiefling leader from Ghoster

11 damage to tiefling leader and R2 from Strego

Quinn misses

10 damage to Arron from O2

15 damage to Strego from the two tieflings

Arron's turn

Strego: 24/39 hp, Dragon Magic
Ghoster 40/40 hp, cover
Enemies
Arron: 29/39 hp
Leaders

Map

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/warehouse3.png

HeroComplex
2010-09-10, 03:16 PM
Stergo

As one blow lands, Stergo uses the pain to call from within himself protective flames.

First attacker takes 3 fire damage.
Dragonflame Mantle
Trigger: Hit by an attack
Effect: +1 to all defenses, any creature that hits me takes 1d6+1 fire damage UENT.
Fire damage to second attacker: [roll0]

Burning Spray
Dragonfrost
Dragonflame Mantle
Tearing Claws
Acid Claw
Dragon Breath
Second Wind
Lightning Breath
Winged Dagger Item Power

Deadly
2010-09-10, 04:06 PM
Aaron makes a quick step to the side, away from the half-elf, and begins a swift string of verses, calls and insults to inspire Stergo with renewed energy and drive the dragonborn's assailant mad with blind rage. It is almost as if he's speaking in several voices at once. Meanwhile he readies his bow for a swift attack against the next one stupid enough to attack the dragonborn, and directs his words finally at the half elves and their leader "The fiends planned to kill you and take your spoils. We took care of their lackeys outside before they could jump on you! Help us teach them a lesson, friends!"

Shift to Q11

Majestic Word on Stergo: Stergo can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 4 hp plus 4 temporary hp. I also slide him to P9.

Vicious Mockery against tiefling 2 (N9)

Attack: [roll0] vs Will
Damage: [roll1] (edit: critical hit, 11 damage)

If he still lives he also takes -2 to attacks until the end of my next turn

Bluff to fool half-elf leader (assuming that talking is a free action): [roll2]

If a non-minion enemy attacks Stergo before my next turn, I'll use Arrow of Warning against that enemy as an immediate interrupt:

Attack: [roll3] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll4] or half on a miss

If it hits, Stergo can make an at-will attack as a free action against the same enemy with a +3 bonus to attack.

Emlyn
2010-09-10, 05:04 PM
Arron's encouraging song restores Strego's spirt and gives him the distraction to slip away from his attackers. His attack into the surprised tiefling is very effective, leaving the man living but barely. The half-elf leader hesitates for a moment at Arron's words, but surprisingly he replies, "Bah, you are filled with lies. Kill this traitor!" However he is intercepted by the tiefling leader before he can reach him, the leaders cry inciting his men to action.

Strego applies his on hit effect and regains 14 hp from Arron +4 temp hp

Arron does 11 damage to R2, who's bloodied

bluff check fails

Tiefling misses the elf leader, elf leader hits tiefling

Affas, Quinn, Strego, Ghoster's turn.

Strego: 38/39 hp, Dragon Magic, +1 defenses, +4 temp hp
Ghoster 40/40 hp, cover
Enemies
Arron: 29/39 hp
Leaders

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/warehouse5.png

Surrealistik
2010-09-10, 05:06 PM
Seeing the leaders locked in combat, Ghoster changes targets, diverting his taciturn assault to one of the underlings pressuring Stergo, silently restocking and unloading his crossbow, before disappearing thereafter. The freezing bolt finds a biting purchase in the demi-human's back, impelling a gout of blood that soon crystallizes around the icy wound.

Second Round Actions:

Standard Action: Sly Flourish vs Tiefling 2
Damage Roll: [roll1] (Sly Flourish, cold damage) + [roll2] (Sneak Attack) = 21 damage total.

Move Action: Move to cover behind F18.
Stealth Check: [roll3]

MKnight
2010-09-10, 08:03 PM
Quinn

The guards surround Quinn. In response Quinn simply says "Exactly where I wanted you... hehe" and unleashes a deadly attack as his spiked chain seeks its target.

Second Round OOC

Standard: Shadow Storm on guard at Q26.
hit: [roll0] vs. AC
dam: [roll1] (includes 2 extra damage due to 2 creatures adjacent to target)

No move or minor.

HeroComplex
2010-09-13, 09:14 AM
Stergo

Stergo feels refreshed by Aaron's inspiring words and allows his magical energies to move him about.

Keeping his head on a swivel, he notices the proximity of the two would-be devils. Not so smart, are you? He reaches deep within himself and from the fire within he calls a whirl of spectral claws around himself, buffeting and knocking his enemies away from himself.

Position: P9
Effects: +1 defenses, cause 1d6 fire damage to melee attackers UENT
Standard: Tearing Claws - Against R3 1d20+8
Against R2 1d20+8
Hit: 1d10+10 and target is pushed 1 square (3 if bloodied)
Move: Shift to Q9

((See OOC thread for rolls, sorry for them being broken))

Burning Spray
Dragonfrost
Dragonflame Mantle
Tearing Claws
Acid Claw
Dragon Breath
Second Wind
Lightning Breath
Winged Dagger Item Power
Feyswarm Staff Item Power

Darla
2010-09-15, 02:30 PM
Affas grins back at Quinn before looking once more at his sword and giving it a final, loving wipe with his lace handkerchief. He looks up to see Quinn unleash his attack on the guards at the door: he begins to whistle a jaunty Elven tune and moves in swiftly towards the melee, with his cloak flying behind him.

“Let Corellon test your skill criminal! Come, meet my challenge!” he cries. Affas’s blade gleams with a divine light as he strikes the guard…

Move to R26, minor Divine Challenge Q26
Std Virtuous Strike
Hit (1d20+11) vs. AC
Dam [roll0] radiant

If Quinn kills Q26 first, Move to Q26, challenge and hit P25

Darla
2010-09-15, 02:34 PM
OOC - 2nd attempt

Move to R26, minor Divine Challenge Q26
Std Virtuous Strike
Hit [roll0] vs. AC
Dam [roll1] radiant

If Quinn kills Q26 first, Move to Q26, challenge and hit P25

Emlyn
2010-09-15, 06:29 PM
Ghoster's bolts continue to strike with deadly precision. The tiefling crumples to the ground, the bolt squarely lodged in its back. Strego's claws rip into the tiefling, but it barely seems fazed by the attack. Meanwhile outside Quinn and Affas easily dispatch both guards. However the reaming thugs nearly all hit their targets. The tiefling leader is nearly slain, while the two fighting of to the left both land blows. In fact only Strego is spared a hit. Arron's ill luck continues as the half-elf next to him cuts him deeply.

Ghoster kills R2

15 damage to R3 from Strego

Quinn and Darla kill the two minions outside

R1 and O1 hit eachother

O3 hits the Tiefling leader

18 damage to Arron from O2, he critted :smallfrown:

Arron's turn

Ghoster 40/40 hp, cover
Enemies
Arron: 11/39 hp
Leaders

Map

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/warehouse6.png

Surrealistik
2010-09-15, 08:29 PM
As the tiefling leader is run through before he can take a finishing shot, Ghoster issues a silent curse. Deciding it best to force the surviving gangsters into a quick and decisive surrender, he diverts his sights to the half-elf leader, frozen ordinance scarcely missing. Internally resolving more careful aim on the next shot, he glides back into cover.

Third Round Actions:

Standard Action: Sly Flourish vs Tiefling Leader
Damage Roll: [roll1] (Sly Flourish, cold damage) + [roll2] (Sneak Attack) = 28 damage total.

Move Action: Move to cover behind F15.
Stealth Check: [roll3]

Deadly
2010-09-16, 11:18 AM
Aaron holds back a scream as the half-elf nearly skewers him. He quickly steps back and halts the flow of blood long enough to regain his breath. With great determination he makes a swift attack at his assailant, letting the voices guide his shot as he releases a crackling arrow at the half-elf.

Shift to O9, next to Stergo.

Second Wind, spending a surge and gaining 9 hp and +2 to all defences til start of my next turn. Times like these I wish I was a dwarf.

Action point to use Prophesied Strike against O2, using Lightning Arrow +1

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2] lightning damage

If I hit, he is dazed til the end of his next turn, and the next one to attack him before the end of my next turn rolls twice for attack and uses the best roll

Emlyn
2010-09-16, 04:52 PM
Arron's arrow just manages to find its mark, sinking into the half-elves flesh. The half-elf leader runs the tiefling through then moves on towards Arron, his sword swinging in a deadly arc.

14 damage to O2

Half-Elf Leader kills Tiefling

11 damage to Arron from Half-Elf Leader and marked

Affas, Quinn, Strego, and Ghoster's turn

Ghoster 40/40 hp, cover
Enemies
Arron:9/39 hp, +2 defenses, marked by leader
Leaders

Map

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/warehouse7.png

Deadly
2010-09-16, 05:02 PM
As the half-elf leader strikes at Aaron, the bard makes a swift move, tricking the leader into attacking his own ally instead

Using my armor's daily power as an immediate interrupt to make the leader's attack target O2 instead of me.

MKnight
2010-09-16, 09:03 PM
Quinn

With the front guards dispatched Quinn darts for the front door. "Let's get in there and see what they've left us to play with." He pushes open the front doors and continues running towards the main group. Quinn quickly scans the crowd and determines his next target. As he approaches he reaches out with his shadowy powers on a particular half-elf gang member.

Third round Actions
Move/Move: Quinn is pretty far away from the fight at this point so he will use a double run to position himself at M13. This will give him a -5 penalty to attack (which he won't do) and grant CA to his enemies.

Free: Apply an Assassin's shroud on O3.

HeroComplex
2010-09-17, 08:52 AM
Stergo

As the sword cuts through Arron, Stergo takes note of how he handles the pain silently. That blow could have been meant for me a moment ago...

Stergo lays a reassuring hand on Arron's shoulder, and reaches forward with his staff, willing some of his burning fury through the implement. A spray of magical fire streams from within, filling the room with a smell of flame and burnt hair.

Calling upon his draconic heritage, he feels his fire within well up in his throat awaiting the perfect moment to strike.

Standard: Burning Spray
[roll0] vs. OL's reflex
[roll1] vs. O2's reflex
Hit: [roll2] fire damage.
Effect: The next enemy to hit Stergo with a melee attack takes 3 fire damage.

Minor: Dragon Breath - Readied action should OL or O2 activate.

Emlyn
2010-09-17, 09:03 PM
The half-elf leader lets out of surprise as suddenly he was attacking his comrade. Quinn and Affas rush into the room, both marking a different half-elf. Surprisingly Ghoster's shot misses, though only just. Strego's breath catches both opponents. The remaining enemies quickly move to engage Quinn and Affas.

14 damage to Half-elf leader and O2, O2 is bloodied

9 damage to Affas

Arron's turn

Ghoster 40/40 hp, cover
Enemies
Arron:20/39 hp, +2 defenses, marked by leader
Leader

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/mgenskow/warehouse8.png