but I can't help but love it.

I always wanted to see the characters
and their abilities translated into other
medium, either a sequel, or another
game engine.

Then I played D&D and had a revelation.

Has anyone designed a Dragoon class?
:D

That would be pretty cool. I liked that game a lot.

I don't think anyone has created a dragoon class based on the dragoons in that game, but I could be mistaken.

The characters themselves could be made into warblades and swordsages, though, mostly.

Popertop
2010-08-02, 04:00 AM
Yeah, I was thinking you could grant them maneuvers and stances
to represent their additions.

Then their alternate form would give them:
Flight speed, bad maneuverability and low speed to begin with,
increases as the class goes on.
Certain number of at will abilities in dragoon armor,
similar to detect magic, other simple/low level spells
could be made at will.
Certain number of per-day or per transformation
abilities, increased number of uses and more
powerful versions and additional abilities as Dragoon
levels increase.
Dragoon form could be similar to wild shape,
number of times per day increases with level,
grants natural armor, stat increases,
I don't know what to give them to use as "D-Attack/Dragoon Addition"
Maybe a different ability for each type dragoon?

Of course each Dragoon would have a theme,
and the abilities and such they get would fit.
Dart would be the baseline other dragoons are derived from.

I think it would work best as a prestige class,
each type of dragoon would need different entry requirements.

This is the direction I am thinking of taking with it,
what do you think?

Jane_Smith
2010-08-02, 04:25 AM
Their dragoon forms would best be left to transmutation/etc magic from an artifact. Not a class. Their dragoon abilities could be spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities while using the stone.

Temotei
2010-08-02, 04:37 AM
Their dragoon forms would best be left to transmutation/etc magic from an artifact. Not a class. Their dragoon abilities could be spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities while using the stone.

Agreed. :smallcool:

Popertop
2010-08-02, 04:40 AM

So they would get better at using the artifact as their Dragoon levels increase?
That makes sense I guess.

Temotei
2010-08-02, 05:19 AM
So they would get better at using the artifact as their Dragoon levels increase?
That makes sense I guess.

Oh, no. Each artifact would contain a dragoon's powers separate from the characters themselves. The characters have class levels like any other character. Dart, Rose, Kongol, Haschel, Lavitz, Albert, Meru, Shana, Miranda...they'd all be high-level characters with the artifacts in question (Shana and Lavitz being replaced as necessary with Miranda and Albert, respectively).

Popertop
2010-08-02, 06:17 AM
But how does that explain the Dragoon level increases?
They get access to higher level spells and can spend
more time in Dragoon form as they get better used to it.
If all the abilities are straight from the artifact, then
every dragoon would be exactly the same strength
start to finish, which doesn't make sense.

nysisobli
2010-08-02, 10:01 AM
Actually someone asked me to design these over 3 years ago, ill see if i can dig them up, however the way i did it, is made the artifact grant you gestalt levels at the same time, so if you had your dragoon spirit with you, You would be considered a level 10 fighter/level 10 dragoon

Meirnon
2010-08-02, 02:35 PM
I was just thinking the exact same thing if someone's made the LoD Dragoons. And if anything, the Gestalt levels would be effective, although a bit undesirable in terms of game mechanics.

A good way to do it, at least in my opinion, is to figure out what the core mechanics for transformation should be. Yes, you have to have a dragoon spirit. But, in the games, to transform you have to damage enemies and build your spirit meter. You could implement that in-game by making any combat action a character makes (Fighting, Casting, Defending) build up 1d4 points of Spirit. For every 5 spirit the character has, they can last 1 round in dragoon form (to a max of 3 rounds per Dragoon level?). Spirit does not deplete between battles.

Now, if we were to implement the Gestalt, there would have to be NO MAGIC CASTERS. No clerics, no wizards, no sorcerers, no druids and no bards. Only Winglies would cast magic outside of Dragoon form (if I remember correctly). You'd limit your character options to Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue, Ranger (alternate no-magic) and Paladin (alternate no-magic).

Dragoons would be split into the different elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Dark. For every 2 levels in your primary class, whenever you transform, you gain 1 level in your Dragoon form. So, a 10th level fighter would only be a 5th level dragoon. Dragoon would be a 10-level PRC, and the only player-capable class of casting magic.

Dragoons would not use a spell-per-day system, instead using Magic Points based off of Int, Wis or Cha (Depending on the element?) and their D. Level. For example, Dart would have, say, 14wis, and be a 6th level fighter (thus 3rd level Fire Dragoon).
The way I think would be easiest to determine MP would be the modifier multiplied by the D. Level. So, Dart would have 6MP. Spells would cost a number of MP depending on their level +1 (0-9, for 1-10MP). Each level in Dragoon would give a new spell level (which would be on-par with casters for the most part), with each spell level consisting of 1 spell. Thus, the game would have roughly 60 spells, not counting what the enemy may cast. Spell DC's are a flat 10+Dragoon level+Modifier, so that they're just as useful throughout the game as they were when you first got them.

On to Additions: no Tome of Battle. It doesn't accurately represent the characters. Dart would be a fighter, not a swordsage. If you want to implement additions, make it a class skill for all characters called Additions. It would have no ability modifier. Each character would add his class levels to the skill. Each addition would be unlocked as the total modifier gained tiers (so, your 1st level addition would be unlocked at +0, your 2nd level at +10, your 3rd level at +20, your 4th level at +30, and your 5th level at +40). Each one would have a DC to perform equal to their tier +10 (or +15 if that's too easy).

Every time a character attacks, he rolls a separate Additions skill check. If he makes the check, he gets the additions benefits, such as, at low levels, an extra 1d4 damage, to an automatic critical (where the attack roll would be the confirmation roll) at Tier 5.

Dragoon Additions would be an extension of this. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to finish all my ideas and have to take my leave.

Jane_Smith
2010-08-02, 03:44 PM
Another idea- Use an artifact that grants you a Dragoon template, make said template give abilities based on hit-dice simular to how half-fiend/half-ceiestial abilities work. So it would factor into -character level- and you wouldnt need a 'dragoon' class at all. You could be a fighter with the stone and turn into a dragoon, well, fighter. Shanna/miranda would be a favored soul im guessing? The old pruple guy would be a monk, obviously. You get the idea.

Meirnon
2010-08-02, 04:48 PM
Another idea- Use an artifact that grants you a Dragoon template, make said template give abilities based on hit-dice simular to how half-fiend/half-ceiestial abilities work. So it would factor into -character level- and you wouldnt need a 'dragoon' class at all. You could be a fighter with the stone and turn into a dragoon, well, fighter. Shanna/miranda would be a favored soul im guessing? The old pruple guy would be a monk, obviously. You get the idea.

The template idea takes a bit of the flavor away, and while it could work, it would be difficult to work in a template that only lasts for a few rounds at a time.

Shanna/Miranda would be rangers or fighters. There are no Favored Souls because you can't cast magic if you're not a dragoon.

Morph Bark
2010-08-02, 05:08 PM
I once created and posted a Dragoon type of class based off the ones in Final Fantasy, and one of the first reactions I got was that it seemed also rather like the dragoons in Legend of Dragoon. Not spot-on of course, but still; it made me laugh to realize that, little as I knew of that video game.

Jane_Smith
2010-08-02, 05:10 PM
-Shanna/Miranda would be rangers or fighters. There are no Favored Souls because you can't cast magic if you're not a dragoon.-

I call bull**** to that. Pure bull****. Every friggin clienic in every major city had a magical way of healing, magical librarys, magical shields, magical monsters.... need i go on? Hell, their were -spell items- that had one-time use. Even enemy, human, soldiers could use them. Winglies had enough magic to put the ELVES to shame - heck, they flew on wings of magical... thrusters or something.

Meirnon
2010-08-02, 05:20 PM
-Shanna/Miranda would be rangers or fighters. There are no Favored Souls because you can't cast magic if you're not a dragoon.-

I call bull**** to that. Pure bull****. Every friggin clienic in every major city had a magical way of healing, magical librarys, magical shields, magical monsters.... need i go on? Hell, their were -spell items- that had one-time use. Even enemy, human, soldiers could use them. Winglies had enough magic to put the ELVES to shame - heck, they flew on wings of magical... thrusters or something.

Let me restate... you can't wantonly cast magic if you're not a dragoon. Let's see if I can remember how the healing in towns worked... with large rituals and slabs of incantations and huge pieces of equipment. I know about the 1-use magic items. Simple alchemy. You can't cast spells without a large, fixed lab or huge ritual unless you're a Dragoon or a Wingly (I already stated that Winglies were the only other ones able to cast magic earlier). And I don't think Winglies would be a player option seeing as how they're almost entirely wiped out. Even the one PC Wingly, Meryl, couldn't cast magic if she wasn't in Dragoon form.

So, I call not-bullshnitzel. The players can't cast combat magic unless they're in Dragoon form. It isn't practical. Possible given a few hours and a some musty old tomes. But not applicable in the standard action time of a Dragoon's magic.

Popertop
2010-08-02, 08:11 PM
Thank you Meirnon, you seem to understand where I'm coming from.

I think artifact abilities based on level in the class would
be the most elegant way to handle this.
Now of course it can still be a little flexible,
grant more powers outside of battle,
maybe some limited casting, just because
the ability to only cast while in dragoon form I feel
might be too limited, this is D&D after all, and some things
that worked in the game engine don't work here.

I like your idea of an MP point pool, if we use the psionics
rules, that would allow for more flexibility with dragoon magic, which
might work better in the D&D system.

I was initially wary of trying to implement the SP as a way
to transform, my first thoughts were to make it similar to the
Druid's Wild Shape ability, since they share a few similar characteristics.
The problem with gaining SP is in the game, you got it every time you
hit somebody, and you got more if you successfully completed an addition.
The issue is in D&D you don't hit nearly as often, so that's out the window
right away. I'm slightly opposed to making access to dragoon form performance based, but we might be able to come up with some interesting
incentives to get players to do inventive or courageous things, possibly fitting in with the flavor of each dragoons "combat style". Rose did say that humans have to make themselves insane to access the dragoons power.
Still, the best idea to me seems to have it based solely on class level, that way you have access to it, but a limited number of times per day and duration depending on your level, and the abilities increase as you grow in level, similar to how you get a higher percentage of your stats increased each time your D-level goes up in game. Plus, if we use SP and MP, then that's two more resources we have to keep track of in point form,
instead of the more typical uses per day in D&D.

As far as additions go, I only mentioned maneuvers and stances since it was the most readily available ability that mirrored what I was going for. I'm not really sure how to proceed down that route, since you wouldn't want the dragoons to get too much. The other, more ardous route, is to design specific tactial feats for each dragoon based on what their additions are supposed to do, which I didn't count out at the beginning, but was not my first choice.

What kind of stats does your dragoon template have?

Cieyrin
2010-08-03, 10:53 AM
I think artifact abilities based on level in the class would be the most elegant way to handle this.

Why not make each of the Spirit Stones into an Item of Legacy (ala Weapons of Legacy)? You want a powerful item that levels with you and grants new powers as we go, right? That seems to fit making them Legacy Items quite aptly.

For the powers that each Dragoon uses, I agree that making it Psionic for the flexibility would probably be quite apt.

I would also this Maneuvers and Stances would best fit how additions work. They're special attacks that generally do lots of damage, which sounds much like what maneuvers are meant to do.

As for transformation, that could just be a feature of the Legacy Items, making it a Rage-like power that becomes more available as you gain ability.

Hmm, either that or we can modify UA's Legendary Weapons: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm

Finally, I think I vaguely recall Dragon having a Legend of Dragoon article at some point, that included PRCs. I'll have to dig through my collection to see if I can find it. Probably was part of their Silicon Sorcery article series, I'd imagine...

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Meirnon
2010-08-03, 02:16 PM
Why not make each of the Spirit Stones into an Item of Legacy (ala Weapons of Legacy)? You want a powerful item that levels with you and grants new powers as we go, right? That seems to fit making them Legacy Items quite aptly.

For the powers that each Dragoon uses, I agree that making it Psionic for the flexibility would probably be quite apt.

I would also this Maneuvers and Stances would best fit how additions work. They're special attacks that generally do lots of damage, which sounds much like what maneuvers are meant to do.

As for transformation, that could just be a feature of the Legacy Items, making it a Rage-like power that becomes more available as you gain ability.

Hmm, either that or we can modify UA's Legendary Weapons: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm

Finally, I think I vaguely recall Dragon having a Legend of Dragoon article at some point, that included PRCs. I'll have to dig through my collection to see if I can find it. Probably was part of their Silicon Sorcery article series, I'd imagine...

The Legacy would work better than a template I assume. And the psionics would work, although its numbers are so much more abysmal than a simple stat mod X level. I give up on psionics simply because there's too much work involved in it.

Maneuvers, I just don't think it fits additions, but everyone seems to feel otherwise. I suppose so long as the recovery mechanic is made correctly it would work?

And I still stand by the Spirit Points rather than a per day transformation. Maybe just make each character gain a number of spirit points per round in combat and a number of extra points for completing maneuvers and such. It fits them much better than anything else.

Popertop
2010-08-03, 08:10 PM
but having them flatly generate spirit points doesn't make sense to me.
I would rather have per day uses that increase with level, ala Wild Shape,
with a few alterations.

Transforming into a Dragoon is a swift action that doesn't provoke AoO.
It lasts only rounds/level instead of 1 hour/level.
You can transform 1/day at first level, up to 4 or 5/day at tenth level.
Instead of gaining hit points as if they had rested, instead are cured of poison, mind affecting effects, and so on (etc. basically just like what happens in game, I'm not entirely sure how much would go into this)

just a few ideas
dragoons should probably get SR in their alternate form,
as well as immunities to poison and mind control

Desril
2010-08-04, 04:07 AM
I think I'll work on this in my free time. I did it once, but my computer was reformatted and I lost the file.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-04, 04:42 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html
The champion class on this site would make a great dragoon.

Popertop
2010-08-04, 09:36 PM
That champion class seems interesting,
but in a different direction for what I'm trying to accomplish in the Dragoon.

I'm really excited to see whatever designs you guys have come up with
already, I'm sure it will be great to experiment with all of them.

Desril
2010-08-06, 05:50 AM
Alright, the format isn't so great because it's copied from a spreadsheet, but it's almost 6am and I'm too tired to fix it right now, so I apologize if it's hard to read. I've translated the Dragoon Transformation system into D&D and remained as true to the original as I could. Tell me what you all think.

Legendary Dragoon: HD: d12

Requirements:
Resonating Dragon Spirit

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +1 +2 +2 +2 Complementary Advancement, Spirit Charge, Dragoon Transformation 1, Basic Spell
2nd +2 +3 +3 +3 Dragoon Transformation 2, Moderate Spell +1 Level of Existing Class
3rd +3 +3 +3 +3 Dragoon Transformation 3, Advanced Spell +1 Level of Existing Class
4th +4 +4 +4 +4 Dragoon Transformation 4, +1 Level of Existing Class
5th +5 +4 +4 +4 Dragoon Transformation 5, Summon Spell +1 Level of Existing Class

Complementary Advancement (Ex): A Dragoon grows in power in their primary class as well, gaining any spell, power, maneuver, ability, or feat benefits as if they took a level in that class, and retain all class skills.

Spirit Charge (Su): When a Legendary Dragoon physically damages an enemy, they gain 1d6 Spirit Points (SP). The Dragoon has a maximum SP pool equal to his Dragoon Class Level x10. SP can only be reduced when the Dragoon is killed or Transforms. While Transformed, a Dragoon does not accumulate SP.

Dragoon Transformation(Su): When a Dragoon has accumulated at least 10 SP, they may transform into the Legendary Dragoon and gain different abilities based upon their Dragon Spirit. Transformation is an instantaneous action and breaks any abnormal conditions (dazed, stunned, charmed, poisoned, diseased, etc., but not ability damage or drain, level drain, or HP loss). While in Dragoon form, the Dragoon loses 10 SP at the end of every round, if they do not have 10 SP they return to their previous form. Transformation costs 10 SP (A 5th level Dragoon can remain transformed for a maximum of 5 rounds). A Dragoon gains 3 Mana Points (MP) per Dragoon level. MP is fully restored by Resting.

Note: The Damage bonus also applies any damage dealt by the character, including magic and Dragoon Spells
Red-eyed Dragoon Gain: Fire Immunity, Damage Reduction 5/-, +6 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Flight (2x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x2
Jade Dragoon Gain: Sonic Immunity, Damage Reduction 7/- +8Str, +2 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Flight (2x movement: Perfect) Attack and damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x3
White-Silver Dragoon Gain: Spell Resistance equal to 1/2 your character level, +2 Str, +8 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +8 Cha. Flight (3x movement: Perfect) Attack and damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level.
Dark Dragoon Gain: Negative Energy Immunity, Spell Resistance equal to 1/2 your character level, +4 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha. Flight (3x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x2
Violet Dragoon Gain: Electric Immunity, Damage Reduction 6/-, +4 Str, +6 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Flight (2x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x3
Blue-Sea Dragoon Gain: Cold Immunity, Spell Resistance equal to 1/2 your character level, +2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha. Flight (4x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x2
Golden Dragoon Gain: Damage Reduction 10/-, +10 Str, +4 Dex, +8 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Flight (movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x4
Divine Dragoon Gain: Energy Resistance 15, Damage Reduction 10/-, +10 Str, +10 Dex, +10 Con, +10 Int, +10 Wis, +10 Cha. Flight (4x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x5 and Spell Resistance equal to your character level.

Basic Spell (Su): Basic Spells consume 1 MP. Save DC = 11 + Cha

Red-eyed Dragoon Flame Shot Deals 1d8/Character level Fire damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Jade Dragoon Wing Blaster Deals 1d6/Character level Sonic damage in a 15x50 line. Reflex: Half
White-Silver Dragoon Moon Light Casts Heal. Treat Caster level as Character level.
Dark Dragoon Astral Drain Deals 1d4/Character level Negative Energy damage to a single target, user heals by damage done. Ranged Touch.
Violet Dragoon Atomic Mind Deals 1d8/Character level Electric damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Blue-Sea Dragoon Freezing Ring Deals 1d8/Character level Cold damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Golden Dragoon Grand Stream Deals 1d6/Character level Bludgeoning damage in a 40ft radius centered on the user. Reflex: Half

Moderate Spell (Su): Moderate Spells consume 2 MP. Save DC = 14 + Cha

Red-eyed Dragoon Explosion Deals 1d6/Character level Fire damage in a 50ft radius circle. Reflex: Half
Jade Dragoon Rose Storm All allies within 15ft of the user take 50% reduced damage from any source for 3 rounds.
White-Silver Dragoon Star Children Deals 1d6/Character level Holy damage to all enemies in a 30ft radius, 50ft high column.
Dark Dragoon Death Dimension Deals 1d4/Character level Negative Energy to all targets (Up to 10). Will Save or Shaken.
Violet Dragoon Thunder Kid Deals 1d10/Character level Electric damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Blue-Sea Dragoon Rainbow Breath Casts Mass Heal. Treat Caster level as 1/2 Character level.
Golden Dragoon Invincible Guard User gains Damage Reduction ∞/Magic for 3 rounds.

Advanced Spell (Su): Advanced Spells consume 3 MP. Save DC = 17 + Cha

Red-eyed Dragoon Flame Burst Deals 1d12/Character level Fire damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Jade Dragoon Gaspless Deals 1d12/Character level Sonic damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
White-Silver Dragoon Gates of Heaven Casts Mass Heal. Treat Caster level as 1/2 Character level.
Dark Dragoon Demon's Gate Opens a Gate to the Negative Energy Plane. The Gate is 30ft wide and 100ft high. All creatures within 30ft of the Gate must make a Fortitude save or be sucked in and die. The Gate closes at the end of the round.
Violet Dragoon Thunder God Deals 1d12/Character level Electric Damage to a single target. Ranged Touch
Blue-Sea Dragoon Diamond Dust Deals 1d8/Character level Cold damage in a 30ft radius sphere. Ranged Touch.
Golden Dragoon Meteor Strike Deals 1d8/Character level Blugeoning damage in a 40ft radius 80ft tall column. Reflex: Half
Divine Dragoon D.D.Ball Deals 1d8/Character level Force damage to all targets in a 100ft radius sphere.
Divine Dragoon D.D.Cannon Deals 1d12/Character level Force damage to a single target.

Summon Spell (Su): Summon Spells consume 8 MP.

Red-eyed Dragon Deals 1d12/Character level Fire damage to in a 50ft radius sphere.
Jade Dragon Deals 1d20/Character level Sonic damage to a single target.
White-Silver Dragon Casts Mass Harm (enemies only) and Mass Heal (allies only). Treat Caster level as Character level.
Dark Dragon Deals 1d20/Character level Negative Energy damage to a single target.
Violet Dragon Deals 1d20/Character level Electric damage to a single target.
Blue-Sea Dragon Deals 1d20/Character level Cold damage to a single target.
Golden Dragon Deals 1d12/Character level Bludgeoning damage in a 50ft radius sphere.

Cieyrin
2010-08-06, 11:35 AM
Legendary Dragoon etc.

You're certainly very true to the transformations as by the game but this is hardly balanced between the various Dragoons, as the Red-Eyed Dragoon is easily the weakest among them. Plus, I think they advance way too fast in terms of power and how often they can transform. What works in a videogame doesn't necessarily translate well to other systems, if at all.

I'd almost have something similar to the Arcane Dilettante in that it gains increasing requirements to gain new levels in the PRC. Dragoons in the game certainly didn't just plow through 5 levels of Dragoon before returning to their main class and neither should we, as we're totally throwing balance out the window with this.

Popertop
2010-08-07, 03:58 AM
It's a good starting point, but it looks like too much too soon.

It doesn't really make sense to have casting off of Cha either.

I'm not really good at the finer points, does anyone understand where I want to take this?

Desril
2010-08-07, 05:26 AM
It doesn't really make sense to have casting off of Cha either.

Used Cha for casting because Sorcerers use it and Dragoon Magic is arguably similar to Sorc casting.

Popertop
2010-08-07, 08:50 PM
well then other class abilities of the dragoon should be based of charisma as well, not just dragoon spells.

maybe something that deals with how the dragoons have their "insanity" magnified when they transform.

Popertop
2010-08-11, 09:26 AM
Gotta bump it up

It's probably okay if we make it fairly powerful,
since fate itself has to choose you as a Dragoon(DM discretion)

grizo2099
2010-08-12, 07:17 PM
Alright, the format isn't so great because it's copied from a spreadsheet, but it's almost 6am and I'm too tired to fix it right now, so I apologize if it's hard to read. I've translated the Dragoon Transformation system into D&D and remained as true to the original as I could. Tell me what you all think.

Legendary Dragoon: HD: d12

Requirements:
Resonating Dragon Spirit

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +1 +2 +2 +2 Complementary Advancement, Spirit Charge, Dragoon Transformation 1, Basic Spell
2nd +2 +3 +3 +3 Dragoon Transformation 2, Moderate Spell +1 Level of Existing Class
3rd +3 +3 +3 +3 Dragoon Transformation 3, Advanced Spell +1 Level of Existing Class
4th +4 +4 +4 +4 Dragoon Transformation 4, +1 Level of Existing Class
5th +5 +4 +4 +4 Dragoon Transformation 5, Summon Spell +1 Level of Existing Class

Complementary Advancement (Ex): A Dragoon grows in power in their primary class as well, gaining any spell, power, maneuver, ability, or feat benefits as if they took a level in that class, and retain all class skills.

Spirit Charge (Su): When a Legendary Dragoon physically damages an enemy, they gain 1d6 Spirit Points (SP). The Dragoon has a maximum SP pool equal to his Dragoon Class Level x10. SP can only be reduced when the Dragoon is killed or Transforms. While Transformed, a Dragoon does not accumulate SP.

Dragoon Transformation(Su): When a Dragoon has accumulated at least 10 SP, they may transform into the Legendary Dragoon and gain different abilities based upon their Dragon Spirit. Transformation is an instantaneous action and breaks any abnormal conditions (dazed, stunned, charmed, poisoned, diseased, etc., but not ability damage or drain, level drain, or HP loss). While in Dragoon form, the Dragoon loses 10 SP at the end of every round, if they do not have 10 SP they return to their previous form. Transformation costs 10 SP (A 5th level Dragoon can remain transformed for a maximum of 5 rounds). A Dragoon gains 3 Mana Points (MP) per Dragoon level. MP is fully restored by Resting.

Note: The Damage bonus also applies any damage dealt by the character, including magic and Dragoon Spells
Red-eyed Dragoon Gain: Fire Immunity, Damage Reduction 5/-, +6 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Flight (2x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x2
Jade Dragoon Gain: Sonic Immunity, Damage Reduction 7/- +8Str, +2 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Flight (2x movement: Perfect) Attack and damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x3
White-Silver Dragoon Gain: Spell Resistance equal to 1/2 your character level, +2 Str, +8 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +8 Cha. Flight (3x movement: Perfect) Attack and damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level.
Dark Dragoon Gain: Negative Energy Immunity, Spell Resistance equal to 1/2 your character level, +4 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha. Flight (3x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x2
Violet Dragoon Gain: Electric Immunity, Damage Reduction 6/-, +4 Str, +6 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Flight (2x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x3
Blue-Sea Dragoon Gain: Cold Immunity, Spell Resistance equal to 1/2 your character level, +2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha. Flight (4x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x2
Golden Dragoon Gain: Damage Reduction 10/-, +10 Str, +4 Dex, +8 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Flight (movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x4
Divine Dragoon Gain: Energy Resistance 15, Damage Reduction 10/-, +10 Str, +10 Dex, +10 Con, +10 Int, +10 Wis, +10 Cha. Flight (4x movement: Perfect) Attack and Damage bonus equal to your Dragoon level x5 and Spell Resistance equal to your character level.

Basic Spell (Su): Basic Spells consume 1 MP. Save DC = 11 + Cha

Red-eyed Dragoon Flame Shot Deals 1d8/Character level Fire damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Jade Dragoon Wing Blaster Deals 1d6/Character level Sonic damage in a 15x50 line. Reflex: Half
White-Silver Dragoon Moon Light Casts Heal. Treat Caster level as Character level.
Dark Dragoon Astral Drain Deals 1d4/Character level Negative Energy damage to a single target, user heals by damage done. Ranged Touch.
Violet Dragoon Atomic Mind Deals 1d8/Character level Electric damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Blue-Sea Dragoon Freezing Ring Deals 1d8/Character level Cold damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Golden Dragoon Grand Stream Deals 1d6/Character level Bludgeoning damage in a 40ft radius centered on the user. Reflex: Half

Moderate Spell (Su): Moderate Spells consume 2 MP. Save DC = 14 + Cha

Red-eyed Dragoon Explosion Deals 1d6/Character level Fire damage in a 50ft radius circle. Reflex: Half
Jade Dragoon Rose Storm All allies within 15ft of the user take 50% reduced damage from any source for 3 rounds.
White-Silver Dragoon Star Children Deals 1d6/Character level Holy damage to all enemies in a 30ft radius, 50ft high column.
Dark Dragoon Death Dimension Deals 1d4/Character level Negative Energy to all targets (Up to 10). Will Save or Shaken.
Violet Dragoon Thunder Kid Deals 1d10/Character level Electric damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Blue-Sea Dragoon Rainbow Breath Casts Mass Heal. Treat Caster level as 1/2 Character level.
Golden Dragoon Invincible Guard User gains Damage Reduction ∞/Magic for 3 rounds.

Advanced Spell (Su): Advanced Spells consume 3 MP. Save DC = 17 + Cha

Red-eyed Dragoon Flame Burst Deals 1d12/Character level Fire damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
Jade Dragoon Gaspless Deals 1d12/Character level Sonic damage to a single target. Ranged Touch.
White-Silver Dragoon Gates of Heaven Casts Mass Heal. Treat Caster level as 1/2 Character level.
Dark Dragoon Demon's Gate Opens a Gate to the Negative Energy Plane. The Gate is 30ft wide and 100ft high. All creatures within 30ft of the Gate must make a Fortitude save or be sucked in and die. The Gate closes at the end of the round.
Violet Dragoon Thunder God Deals 1d12/Character level Electric Damage to a single target. Ranged Touch
Blue-Sea Dragoon Diamond Dust Deals 1d8/Character level Cold damage in a 30ft radius sphere. Ranged Touch.
Golden Dragoon Meteor Strike Deals 1d8/Character level Blugeoning damage in a 40ft radius 80ft tall column. Reflex: Half
Divine Dragoon D.D.Ball Deals 1d8/Character level Force damage to all targets in a 100ft radius sphere.
Divine Dragoon D.D.Cannon Deals 1d12/Character level Force damage to a single target.

Summon Spell (Su): Summon Spells consume 8 MP.

Red-eyed Dragon Deals 1d12/Character level Fire damage to in a 50ft radius sphere.
Jade Dragon Deals 1d20/Character level Sonic damage to a single target.
White-Silver Dragon Casts Mass Harm (enemies only) and Mass Heal (allies only). Treat Caster level as Character level.
Dark Dragon Deals 1d20/Character level Negative Energy damage to a single target.
Violet Dragon Deals 1d20/Character level Electric damage to a single target.
Blue-Sea Dragon Deals 1d20/Character level Cold damage to a single target.
Golden Dragon Deals 1d12/Character level Bludgeoning damage in a 50ft radius sphere.

i think this is a good start i agree with some earlier comments that it should be artifact based similar to a weapon of legacy. and in that situation you can spread out the levels more and not have to worry about it feeling to overpowered.

Thamior
2010-08-13, 02:23 PM
That is a good start, for trying to make the class exactly as the game has it, but all of those attacks are pretty much the same thing, just upgraded, lets add some spunk to the class, such as changing around the area, range, damage, targets of each ability level, adding to the classes versatility instead of just being able to use one, simple attack at different degrees of power

Popertop
2010-08-13, 07:27 PM
I think the first steps in that direction would be finding spells that correspond with the abilities presented here, in order to make things more familiar.
I think 3rd level spells would be a good starting point for the initial Dragoon Spells.

For instance, as far as flame shot goes, we can use Lightning Bolt as a model for how it should function. And so on as it fits with the theme for each.

Cieyrin
2010-08-14, 06:51 PM
I think the first steps in that direction would be finding spells that correspond with the abilities presented here, in order to make things more familiar.
I think 3rd level spells would be a good starting point for the initial Dragoon Spells.

For instance, as far as flame shot goes, we can use Lightning Bolt as a model for how it should function. And so on as it fits with the theme for each.

Flame Shot is single target, though, so we might want to base it off of something like Sonic Lance, Heat Stroke or Hypothermia (all SpC).

Just Energy Substitute as needed.

Popertop
2010-08-15, 05:30 PM
Sorry, I thought lightning bolt was single target, not 120 ft line.