PDA

View Full Version : What Book to get (3.5)

Istari
2010-08-02, 08:02 AM
I got a Barnes & Noble gift card from one of my friends and I'm looking to use it to pick up a new 3.5 D&D book since I only have the three core books right now. Unfortunately they don't have a great selection since they moved into 4th edition books. So which of these would you recommend I get?

Forgotten Realms : Dragons of Faerun
Forgotten Realms : Mysteries of the Moonsea
Forgotten Realms : Player's Guide to Faerun
Forgotten Realms : Anauroch: The Empire of Shade
Forgotten Realms : Power of Faerun
Forgotten Realms : Champions of Ruin
Forgotten Realms : Champions of Valor
Forgotten Realms : Magic of Faerun
Forgotten Realms : Serpent Kingdoms
Forgotten Realms : Shining South
Encyclopaedia Arcane : Compendium, Vol. 1

Frog Dragon
2010-08-02, 08:03 AM
I would say Player's Guide to Faerun, Champions of Ruin and... ???

Popertop
2010-08-02, 08:06 AM
Player's Guide to Faerun and Champions of Valor.

Yora
2010-08-02, 08:19 AM
It depends a lot on what you want to get out of the books.

Players Guide has lots of feats and prestige classes, but doesn't provide much information about the setting.
Shining South is a great sourcebook if you want to run a campaign set in the Shining South, but I don't know about the quality of the new classes and such.
Serpent Kingdoms is a really great book about Yuan-ti and other reptilian humanoids, and it can even be recommended for games that do not take part in the Forgotten Realms. While the descriptions are great, I think the new classes, feats, and spells are not that good.

It really depends on what you want the books for.

Istari
2010-08-02, 08:26 AM
I'm mainly looking for new classes, feats, etc. I'm not really looking for information about the setting. The reason they're all forgotten realms is that's all they carry

Yora
2010-08-02, 08:37 AM
In that case I'd also say Players Guide, and both Champions books.
The others are all either not very crunchy, or quite bad.

AslanCross
2010-08-02, 08:58 AM
I'm mainly looking for new classes, feats, etc. I'm not really looking for information about the setting. The reason they're all forgotten realms is that's all they carry

Player's Guide to Faerun is essentially the 3.5 update for the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. It has feats and prestige classes.

hamishspence
2010-08-02, 09:00 AM
Magic of Faerun has a lot in it (PRCs, spells, a few templates and monsters, feats)- but much of its content was reprinted in Player's Guide to Faerun.

Stuff in it that's not in Player's Guide- the rules for wands with crystals, for exotic metals, and the monsters). Some of the PRCs (Spellfire Wielder) are also not in Player's Guide, though Player's Guide does have an Epic PRC for the spellfire-wielder.

bravebonebook
2010-08-02, 11:03 AM
Check to see if B&N has other books available online and if you can use your card. That would give you more options like the Complete series for classes, the Race books, Eberron campaign setting, etc.

Istari
2010-08-02, 01:22 PM
I did actually, this is the list from their site, plus some adventures