PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Woes. Help me design an Arcanist that can take on six 5th-6th level PCs

Rising Phoenix
2010-08-02, 09:21 AM
Hello All,

In my next session I'd like there to be a gnome wizard capable of taking on the following party:

6th) Human Bard (unoptimised, I just gave her a badge of valor so she can grant a +3 bonus)
5th Sorcerer (Arcane Bloodline from Pathfinder)/1st Level Wild Mage Halfling
6th lv) Elan Psion with the racial substitution levels (Along with the sorcerer the most optmised party members)
5th lv Human Warblade (Noob, but learning fast)
5th lv Human Rogue (Dual wielding, plays ok)
Lv 3 Human Cloistered Cleric/Lv 2 Warlock (Planning on going into Eldritch Disciple. He sucks atm)

And now for a little background on the wizard:

He is one of the more powerful NPCs in the campaign world and is capable of dividing up his essence into multiple artificial bodies. The more bodies he devides his essence into the less powerful (i.e. less levels) each 'duplicate' becomes. ATM I am thinking of a duplicate of level 8-9, gestalt if necessary to mitigate his squishiness.

He's interested in time and space magic, its applications and if the future's set in stone (haste , slow, celerity and wall spells should be on his spell list). He's also a world famous tinkerer, creating the first warforged (the dungeon will be crawling with them) and the equivalent of the internet in this campaign world (the entire dungeon is under constant surveilance).

I've heard of the Shadowcraft mage, but I'd really like to stay away from such things (Incantartix etc (sp?)).

I'd also like this to be a solo encounter and all sources are allowed (I don't have access to most Dragon material though)

So what spells, tactics, class levels and equipment should I give this duplicate to give it a fighting chance?

Thanks in Advance,

R.P.

PS: Apologies for the horrible grammar and spelling. It's past 12 am here atm...of to bed.

Edit: By capable of taking on I mean: "Provide a challenging, memorable encounter with a risk of killing one or two PCs."

Ernir
2010-08-02, 09:57 AM
What do you mean by "capable of taking on"? Do you want to kill them all, do you want him to fight to the death, probably taking one or two of them with him, or do you want to kill one of them, then have the Wizard escape?

Prodan
2010-08-02, 10:01 AM
Planar Bind a nightmare for its astral projection and etheralness capabilities.

Rising Phoenix
2010-08-02, 10:05 AM
What do you mean by "capable of taking on"? Do you want to kill them all, do you want him to fight to the death, probably taking one or two of them with him, or do you want to kill one of them, then have the Wizard escape?

Provide a challenging, memorable encounter with a risk of killing one or two PCs.

The 'wizard' doesn't really care if he gets killed. He won't chase after the PCs if they flee, at least for now.

Thanks for your replies thus far.

R.P.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-02, 10:13 AM
What race is this arcanist, anything in particular?
What happens when one of his duplicates dies, is that part of him just lost, or does its essence/soul return to the original and replenish him?
Have you seen the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) prestige class? Would this be suitable for him?

You could go Spellhoarding Venerable Dragonwrought Desert Kobold Loredrake with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, Stalwart Battle Sorcerer 4/ Swiftblade 9/ Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7 for the 20 level build, and reduce it for lower level versions of him (or increase it for the original). That would have 10th level Wizard spellcasting at level 9, and with just a Haste spell he would be extremely resilient. Another idea would be a more conventional Wizard build and take Effigy Master (CA). Yet another option would be to use a Red Wizard build, a common tactic for that is to make Simulacra of yourself to contribute spells for circle magic, similar to your idea of splitting/copying himself. It really just depends on what you want him to do mechanically.

Draz74
2010-08-02, 10:40 AM
Fell Drain Power Word: Pain will kill a PC each time it is cast.

In general, if you don't want to get that lethal (or cheesy), Fell Drain could be a really good feat for this BBEG that will be highly annoying to the PCs.

gbprime
2010-08-02, 10:43 AM
How to Level a Party with One 9th Level Wizard...

Feats - Improved Familiar, Familiar Concentration, Minor Shapeshift
Before combat spells - Stoneskin, Displacement, Polymorph (not cast, in reserve)
Desirable optional effects - saving throw buff, fly or levitate

Round 1 - cast Telekinesis (grapple the sorcerer), hand concentration over to familiar, swift action to gain 9 temp HP from minor shapeshift

Round 2 - cast Telekinesis (grapple the psion), renew temp HP if needed

Round 3 - cast Conjure Ice Beast III (summon 1d3 hippogriff constructs with zillions of HP to start chewing on the grappled PC's), use move action ot maintain TK grapple, renew temp HP if needed

Round 4 - start gunning down PC's (including Fireburst for 9d8 if anyone is still within 10 feet)

The PC's can beat this, but it's a helluva fight. :smallamused:

JeminiZero
2010-08-02, 11:34 AM
This is actually not nearly as difficult as it looks. He has access to level 4 spells, which means Animate Dead. He can have 4x caster level worth of undead HD guarding him when the PCs burst in, thereby reducing the fight into a fairly standard minion grind.

Give him spells to boost longevity. I would recommend Greater Mirror Image. So while the skeleton mooks are keeping the PCs busy, he can hide in the back (or fly around) and throws out miscellaneous spells.

If you really want to optimize, he can opt to throw out area spells that affect the PCs, but not his undead (E.g. Stinking Cloud, Cold damage spells which skellies are immune to). As well as spells to buff his undead (e.g. Haste).

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-02, 11:35 AM
How to Level a Party with One 9th Level Wizard...

Feats - Improved Familiar, Familiar Concentration, Minor Shapeshift
Before combat spells - Stoneskin, Displacement, Polymorph (not cast, in reserve)
Desirable optional effects - saving throw buff, fly or levitate

Round 1 - cast Telekinesis (grapple the sorcerer), hand concentration over to familiar, swift action to gain 9 temp HP from minor shapeshift

Round 2 - cast Telekinesis (grapple the psion), renew temp HP if needed
Why would you even want to grapple a Psion?

Round 3 - cast Conjure Ice Beast III (summon 1d3 hippogriff constructs with zillions of HP to start chewing on the grappled PC's), use move action ot maintain TK grapple, renew temp HP if needed
If the other part members aren't beating down on you before now they are plain incompetent.

Round 4 - start gunning down PC's (including Fireburst for 9d8 if anyone is still within 10 feet)

The PC's can beat this, but it's a helluva fight. :smallamused:

Only if there aren't any party members.

gbprime
2010-08-02, 11:41 AM
Why would you even want to grapple a Psion?

Because he looks like a caster, next question. Unless you're assuming the BBEG knows who the party members are?

If the other part members aren't beating down on you before now they are plain incompetent.

Or they're slowed down by displacement, stoneskin, flight/levitation, and renewable temporary HP.

Remember, this is a 6th level party, not all optimized.

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-02, 12:04 PM
Because he looks like a caster, next question. Unless you're assuming the BBEG knows who the party members are?
Which is very possible, but even if he doesn't, hello spellcraft?

Or they're slowed down by displacement, stoneskin, flight/levitation, and renewable temporary HP.

Remember, this is a 6th level party, not all optimized.

Yeah, but at least one of them is.
1st round: Psion uses Dispel Psionics/Magic, Sorcerer may/may not have a spell without somatic components. Other party members get in position. Cloistered Cleric and Bard also have 2nd level spells.

2nd round: Let the smash-fest commence

Not that a 9th level wizard couldn't crush them into the ground, but that plan isn't exactly foolproof.

Rising Phoenix
2010-08-02, 08:39 PM
What race is this arcanist, anything in particular?
What happens when one of his duplicates dies, is that part of him just lost, or does its essence/soul return to the original and replenish him?
Have you seen the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) prestige class? Would this be suitable for him?

I had written that he's a Gnome at the start, but deleted it during the edit. I have yet to decide what happens if the duplicate dies. I'll decide when/if the PCs meet the original and Swiftblade, though a fantasic prestige class, is not suitable for him.

Thanks for the tactics guys. I'll use toned down versions of these.

R.P.