PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What core-main spells should a pacifist cleric take?

ShippoWildheart
2010-08-02, 01:25 PM
New take on checking how to make better use of my 9th level Cloistered Cleric.

He's got a total initiative of +10 so he should be well off in going first most of the time so he can get that spell off more easily.

I don't plan on having him actually engage in combat despite having a +1 Morningstar of Warning. I made him to be more of a geek/nerd. For that reason he has Able Learner as a 1st level feat. I still made sure to make him study; he has 67 HP at level 9 thanks to having 14 (16 with a magic item) for CON.

I got only a few non-core spells approved: Divine Insight, Mass Shield of Faith, Divine Agility. I can get more some non-core spells from the SpC, Complete Arcane, and CD, but requires convincing to my DM to allow them because his reasoning after the first few non-core spells is why should my cleric have spells that no one else in his world has. I'm on an urge to straight out say, as a compromise, that whatever non-core spells my cleric takes up everyone else in his world knows it too. Would this be a good idea?

I got the Travel, Trickery, and Knowledge (bonus domain) domains. In terms of metamagic I got Extend and DMM:Extend because I didn't want him to appear cheesy, even though I clearly stayed away from asking for Nightsticks so I only have 10 uses of Turn Undead a day to power my DMM. I do plan to get Quicken and DMM: Quicken at levels 12 and 15 should we get that high.

On the VERY off-chance he is forced to fight without support I have one 4th level slot prepared with Divine Power everyday.

So what spells should I fill my other spell slots with that will help the party/crowd control the enemy? For example, is Summon Monster a good idea? What about taking up as a Domain spell Confusion or Divination instead of Dimension Door?

Ernir
2010-08-02, 01:39 PM
I got only a few non-core spells approved: Divine Insight, Mass Shield of Faith, Divine Agility. I can get more some non-core spells from the SpC, Complete Arcane, and CD, but requires convincing to my DM to allow them because his reasoning after the first few non-core spells is why should my cleric have spells that no one else in his world has. I'm on an urge to straight out say, as a compromise, that whatever non-core spells my cleric takes up everyone else in his world knows it too. Would this be a good idea?

Sure. As long as you aren't taking something like Consumptive Field (SpC), your enemies having access to the same buffs you do shouldn't really be a problem. (Also, your enemies having the same buffs you do is what targeted Dispel Magic is for. :smallbiggrin:)

Anyway, core group buff spells, you say? Sanctuary is a dream for any buffer - as long as you don't do anything naughty, you can't be attacked at all without them having to succeed on a Will save. Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon are fun for the whole family. Protection from energy spells, AC boosters? What kind of enemies have been causing your group the greatest amount of trouble?

A huge part of the reason Clerics are considered strong is that they don't have to prepare the same stuff every day. Don't get locked into having a few favourite spells, pick new ones to fit new situations.

ShippoWildheart
2010-08-02, 07:01 PM
Sure. As long as you aren't taking something like Consumptive Field (SpC), your enemies having access to the same buffs you do shouldn't really be a problem. (Also, your enemies having the same buffs you do is what targeted Dispel Magic is for. :smallbiggrin:)

Anyway, core group buff spells, you say? Sanctuary is a dream for any buffer - as long as you don't do anything naughty, you can't be attacked at all without them having to succeed on a Will save. Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon are fun for the whole family. Protection from energy spells, AC boosters? What kind of enemies have been causing your group the greatest amount of trouble?

A huge part of the reason Clerics are considered strong is that they don't have to prepare the same stuff every day. Don't get locked into having a few favourite spells, pick new ones to fit new situations.

So far, we just went into a losing battle with some Myconids (in hopes of opening up this locked gate) who had these creatures that the DM best described as bird-shelled creatures. Looks a little like a bird, but has a beetle-like husk and bug claws. They had a grapple modifier of +18, so that went downhill quick. On the other hand, we found out a campaign-related reason that despite not trusting humans they could probably be helped. We know who wronged them, and can probably create a treaty between the two.

So I guess so far the most glaring problem is against grappling creatures (especially if they're bigger in size), and the 2nd most glaring problem being creatures will many attacks in a full attack. When I see a character at 9th level take 30+ damage in one full attack I panic a little.

Gralamin
2010-08-02, 07:04 PM
Would you mind putting (3.5) in the title? There is an actual specific build in 4e that is called the "Pacifist Cleric", and its not hard to see someone accidentally calling "prayers" or "powers" spells. Thanks.

As for being a pacifist, if you don't think Summons count against pacifism, they are good. Dispel magic is also a great idea.

ShippoWildheart
2010-08-02, 07:06 PM
Would you mind putting (3.5) in the title? There is an actual specific build in 4e that is called the "Pacifist Cleric", and its not hard to see someone accidentally calling "prayers" or "powers" spells. Thanks.

As for being a pacifist, if you don't think Summons count against pacifism, they are good. Dispel magic is also a great idea.

Oh I didn't know there was such a thing in 4E. Thanks. Title is changed appropriately.

Nope I don't consider getting others to do the fighting against being a pacifist. Any summon levels in particular from Summon Monster II-V that are worth the spell slot?

PId6
2010-08-03, 12:00 AM
If you're up against grapples, Freedom of Movement is the go-to spell. Why settle for half-measures when you can just say "No"? With free Extend, that gets to a 3 hour duration per casting.

Against full attacking melee beasts, buff AC. Magic Vestment + Mass Shield of Faith gives a pretty high boost. You can also use your domain spells of Invisibility and Fly to keep people (namely you) out of monsters' sight and reach.

ShippoWildheart
2010-08-03, 04:24 AM
Is Prayer also a good buff spell? The +1 to allies and -1 to the enemies seem a trite small of a bonus but on the other hand I can consider it as really a +2 luck bonus to AC and to +hit if I see it as a sum, so is it worth preparing as a level 3 spell?

Hmm I'll see if I can't get DMM:Quicken allowed. With Invisibility, Sanctuary, and Fly to keep me out of harm's way I could sure use a more efficient use of the action economy whenever we enter battle. :smalleek:

As for situational stuff like Magic Circle against X, is there an easy way to make sure the enemy has X alignment before casting one? I'll plan on getting scrolls of these spells later on when I get more money.

PId6
2010-08-03, 04:43 AM
Prayer is a decent buff, since it stacks with most things, but there are better ones (it doesn't affect AC, so it's only +1). Recitation (SpC) is generally a better luck-bonus boosting spell if you can get it approved (especially if you can get your allies to worship your deity; converting heathens is much easier when there's a sweet +1 to everything in the deal). Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SpC) is another great non-core buff spell to try to get approved.

For Magic Circle against X, the best benefits of the spell (immunity to many charms/compulsions) ignore alignment. The AC bonus doesn't stack with Mass Shield of Faith (which grants a higher bonus), while the save bonus doesn't stack with cloaks of resistance and Greater/Superior Resistance (SpC) (which also grants a higher bonus). So just cast Magic Circle (any version) when there's mind control involved, and use the spells that grant better bonuses the rest of the time.

Bobep
2010-08-04, 02:09 PM
If you are having trouble with grapplers and can get more spells from the spell compendium, i would check out balor's nimbus.