PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything wrong with this?

The Pressman
2010-08-02, 03:31 PM
In a campaign recently, I asked the DM if I could have a monstrous centipede (medium) as a companion ( I was a druid). He said yes. Could I, just for the sake of making it easier for handle animal and such, give it an INT of say, 2?

WarKitty
2010-08-02, 03:35 PM
In a campaign recently, I asked the DM if I could have a monstrous centipede (medium) as a companion ( I was a druid). He said yes. Could I, just for the sake of making it easier for handle animal and such, give it an INT of say, 2?

I think part of the point of vermin is that they don't have intelligence. I might see if there's a way to get the fiendish template on your companion instead, that would grant it an intelligence of 3.

Greenish
2010-08-02, 03:35 PM
There are several feats that do that, so it shouldn't be a biggie.

The Pressman
2010-08-02, 03:38 PM
Okay. Just nice to know.

Seffbasilisk
2010-08-02, 03:42 PM
Verminfriend or something similar IIRC.

It doesn't raise the int, that's a near constant downage of using vermin as companions.

Greenish
2010-08-02, 03:48 PM
Vermin Companion from ECS allows you to take a vermin as your AC and gives it 1 int, though it still doesn't get skills nor feats.

The Pressman
2010-08-02, 04:27 PM
ECS? What is this book that you speak of?

OracleofWuffing
2010-08-02, 04:28 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting, I believe.

vvv A Ninja I am not, for 'tis the pirate's life for me! :smallcool:

WarKitty
2010-08-02, 04:29 PM
ECS? What is this book that you speak of?

Eberron campaign setting.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512 I'd recommend bookmarking that if you plan on hanging out here. :smallcool:

Edit: Blasted ninjas!

The Pressman
2010-08-02, 04:33 PM
I bow in respect to your mastery of acronyms.

Keld Denar
2010-08-02, 04:39 PM
Yea, there is also the Child of Winter feat in the ECS that allows you to summon vermin.

Drow of the Underdark has a couple of ACFs for vermin-friendly druids and clerics, but I think they only work if you are drow. Still, if it fits your character, DMs can always adjust it. I always wanted to play the flea circus tending druid who is absolutely fascinated with bugs and teaching them tricks and whatnot. Sometimes those bugs come in HUGE sizes...

The greatest thing about summoning Monstrous Centepedes is that pound for pound, larger centipedes tend to have lower CRs than other vermin. That means you get a bigger centipede with a SNA3 than you would say...a spider or scorpion. Since size bonuses are a major factor in the grapple calculations, and given that Monstrous Centepedes have Improved Grab, that makes summoned centipedes amazing summons for grappling and controlling foes.

Marnath
2010-08-02, 04:55 PM
I would think it if your DM lets you have a centipede that he'd also allow for some limited form of directing it through your animal companion Link(ex) ability. It wont be smart as an animal, but it has senses to tell targets apart, so you could impart some basic command to it, like "that creature = food" or "fire bad"

*edit ty for the tip, idk how i missed the delete button.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-02, 05:05 PM
Just go to 'edit post' on the extra one, and then chose "Delete Post" in the edit window.

The Pressman
2010-08-03, 12:21 AM
Yea, there is also the Child of Winter feat in the ECS that allows you to summon vermin.

Drow of the Underdark has a couple of ACFs for vermin-friendly druids and clerics, but I think they only work if you are drow. Still, if it fits your character, DMs can always adjust it. I always wanted to play the flea circus tending druid who is absolutely fascinated with bugs and teaching them tricks and whatnot. Sometimes those bugs come in HUGE sizes...

The greatest thing about summoning Monstrous Centepedes is that pound for pound, larger centipedes tend to have lower CRs than other vermin. That means you get a bigger centipede with a SNA3 than you would say...a spider or scorpion. Since size bonuses are a major factor in the grapple calculations, and given that Monstrous Centepedes have Improved Grab, that makes summoned centipedes amazing summons for grappling and controlling foes.

Since when do they have improved grab?

Math_Mage
2010-08-03, 01:18 AM

Probably confused it with Monstrous Scorpions, which do have Improved Grab, and are the next entry in the MM.

The Pressman
2010-08-03, 01:21 AM
Ah. But what I was basically asking, is it too far out of line to just either a) overlook or b)houserule?

Math_Mage
2010-08-03, 01:33 AM
Ah. But what I was basically asking, is it too far out of line to just either a) overlook or b)houserule?

Between the ACFs and the feats that already exist, I'd guess that the designers intend for you to pay the piper if you want your centipede to dance. You're a druid, you don't really need houserules favoring your character.

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 01:41 AM

Wait wut? OMG! EVERYTHING I'VE BELIEVED UNTIL THIS POINT HAS BEEN A LIE!!! A LIE, A SHAM, AND A MOCKERY!!!! A LISHMOCKRY!

Ok, I'm over it. Anyway, probably won't be that overpowered. I remember one of the features that let you have a vermin AC also allowed you to make Wild Empathy checks against vermin and treat them as if they had Int 1 solely with respect of teaching them tricks and stuff.

The Pressman
2010-08-03, 01:58 AM
Can you recall what feature that was?

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 02:03 AM
Ah, its the Vermin Trainer feat from Drow of the Underdark. The prereq says Drow only, but as I stated above, thats only because of their spider fetish. If you wanted to be a centipede trainer who lived near a rocky desert or something, I'd say it would be appropriate.

The Pressman
2010-08-03, 02:10 AM
Wait wut? OMG! EVERYTHING I'VE BELIEVED UNTIL THIS POINT HAS BEEN A LIE!!! A LIE, A SHAM, AND A MOCKERY!!!! A LISHMOCKRY!

Ok, I'm over it. Anyway, probably won't be that overpowered. I remember one of the features that let you have a vermin AC also allowed you to make Wild Empathy checks against vermin and treat them as if they had Int 2 solely with respect of teaching them tricks and stuff.

Also can I use that in a sig?