PDA

View Full Version : The Nightmare Thread

Ponderthought
2010-08-02, 08:26 PM
Given my current trend of rather restless sleep, ive become curious as to what haunts the dreams of other folk. Anyone care to share?

Ill start with the one I had last night: The setting itself was normal enough, the community college I used to go to, but I dont remember having any classes to go too, and everyone else seemed to be milling around from place to place. i was surrounded by people..but they didnt seem to be people people. Like they were actually just things that wore people like cheap suits. everything was rather unheimliche

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-02, 08:32 PM
Well, my friendly opponents, I had a dream where my older sister was taking photos of creepy dolls. Then the dolls attacked me.

Also

I dreamt last night that my digital house burned down. Then I told you guys.

Make of that as you will.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-02, 08:33 PM
Last night I had a dream where I went golfing at a course that required a detailed background check and Social Security and credit card number for some reason, and then there was a hole where balls frequently landed in a tank filled with small, vicious sharks. You had to fight them to get your ball back.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-02, 08:45 PM
How is that not awesome?

Ponderthought
2010-08-02, 08:51 PM
I do have to agree, that might make golf pretty watchable..

Glad_Vampyre
2010-08-02, 09:57 PM
Also

I dreamt last night that my digital house burned down. Then I told you guys.

Make of that as you will.

Digital house you say? Was the fire pixelated?

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-02, 11:09 PM
It kinda looked like a pixelated Homestuck. So yeah.

mucat
2010-08-03, 01:30 AM
Last night I had a dream where I went golfing at a course that required a detailed background check and Social Security and credit card number for some reason, and then there was a hole where balls frequently landed in a tank filled with small, vicious sharks. You had to fight them to get your ball back.

Find me that course in real life, and I will totally take up golf.

In fact...next time my golfing friends and family members try to convince me to learn the game, I will tell them, "I don't golf because the courses are poorly designed. There's no shark tank."

X2
2010-08-03, 02:40 AM
The only intense nightmare I can remember having was about two or three months ago. Me and my childhood friend were playing near the fence of a cornfield. We knew we werent supposed to go in there but my friend (let's call him Alex) wanted to prove he wasn't a chicken. So he went in and because I didn't want to wait by the side of the road all by myself I went inside after him. The damn thing went on forever but eventually we reached a circular part where the corn was pressed down and there was a post in the middle of it where a scarecrow once hung. Then out from the the corn stalks the scarecrow (although it might have been a hillbilly wearing its clothes) attacked us. We ran to where we thought the fence was but we both got seperated. I could hear Alex screaming but I didnt go back. I kept running but I got lost. I don't remember how it ended if it did. I didn't get a good nights sleep for weeks afterwards.

Killer Angel
2010-08-03, 02:48 AM
Given my current trend of rather restless sleep, ive become curious as to what haunts the dreams of other folk. Anyone care to share?

I've never suffered for insomnia or more than a single restless night, but when I'm haunted by a nightmare, it usually involves spiders.

BloodyAngel
2010-08-03, 03:24 AM
Your nightmares are shockingly tame.

The last nightmare I had was of waking up in the afternoon and wandering upstairs to use the bathroom. As I left the bathroom, I heard a strange scratching noise from the kitchen... which was odd, as no one is home but be during the day. I went into the kitchen, where my mother was standing with her back to me, by the sink. I had just managed to ask her what the noise was, when she turned around and had the most hideous nightmare face I've ever seen. Just a giant, blank face with nothing on it save two black spots for eyes and a huge, distended mouth full of pointy shark teeth. She opened her mouth and made a hissing noise, and I ran away screaming and woke myself up. I guess I watch too many programs on sharks.

Come to think of it... I never DID find out what that noise was in my dream.

Castaras
2010-08-03, 03:37 AM
Last nightmare I had was my friends and family and everyone I knew all telling me I hurt my little brother. That wasn't a fun one to wake up to. :smallannoyed:

The Succubus
2010-08-03, 03:41 AM
Urgh - had a doozy last night.

It was night-time in a remote village somewhere, on the shores of a dark and forbidding lake. I could hear screaming the distance. Looking towards this hut that stood on the edge of the lake, a...creature...came out. It's face had been ripped in half vertically and it was covered in stinking ooze. Between the two halves of its face, a tentacle was poking forward. From some corner of my brain, I knew this was something called the Devourer Virus and behaved in a similar way to the rage virus from 28 Days Later, except it also caused mutation. Needless to say, I ran like a small girl and just managed get into a small car that was near by. An unknown friend was sitting in the car next to me and we were trying to drive away but we were both disorientated, almost like we were drunk or stoned but neither of us were. The car lurched and crashed and dozens of these mutant creatures were screaming and smacking on the windows. I forced myself to wake up at that point and didn't sleep again for another hour.

Ponderthought
2010-08-03, 04:10 AM
The last nightmare I had was of waking up in the afternoon and wandering upstairs to use the bathroom. As I left the bathroom, I heard a strange scratching noise from the kitchen... which was odd, as no one is home but be during the day. I went into the kitchen, where my mother was standing with her back to me, by the sink. I had just managed to ask her what the noise was, when she turned around and had the most hideous nightmare face I've ever seen. Just a giant, blank face with nothing on it save two black spots for eyes and a huge, distended mouth full of pointy shark teeth. She opened her mouth and made a hissing noise, and I ran away screaming and woke myself up. I guess I watch too many programs on sharks.

She was probably sharpening her teeth.

Ive had a nice big dose of eldritch horror in my dreams lately. Figures with smoke pouring from all the orifices in their faces, and from out of their sleeves, a couple involving a man with strange iron hands, people with far to many joints. Maybe I should draw them,.

I've never suffered for insomnia or more than a single restless night, but when I'm haunted by a nightmare, it usually involves spiders.

Count yourself lucky, some of us are..troubled, to say the least.

X2
2010-08-03, 04:28 AM
Oh wait I remember another one from about a year ago.

I was in this big suburban sprawl, lots of well mowed lawns and white picket fences. It was in the middle of the day and the sun was out and shining. No cars were around and no people too so I assumed they were all at work or school. I was taking a stroll when I heard footsteps behind me. So I turned around to see this tall handsome man wearing a blue business suit. He seemed harmless but for some reason in the dream I was convinced he was out to get me. So I screamed and ran as far as I could he followed me but only through a brisk walk. But the houses didnt end, I was on this neverending suburban grid and since all the houses looked pretty much alike I had no idea where I was going. The further away I got from the guy I found it harder to move, like I was wading through mud with lead boots. It got to the point where I could barely sustain a weak limp. Knowing I couldnt outrun him like that and hearing him around the corner I hid in a yard with a lot of vegetation. From between the bush leaves I saw him pass the house with the same placid face as before. But then he came back and stopped just in front of the house. Then he turned his head right to me and our eyes locked. Brrr! It was pretty freaky.

Ponderthought
2010-08-03, 01:12 PM
suburban horror is always disturbing, just because alot of the time it simply dosent seem appropriate to the setting. a blue suited prowler, in our little neighborhood?

Had slightly less horrifying one last night, just more uncomfortable. About a man with curious iron hands, that used said devices to catch and strangle physically weaker people. He simply wasnt tall enough to properly get me. But he left some unpleasant marks on my neck that wouldnt go away.

As horrible as they are, I kind of secretly enjoy my nightmares. Not that id like more, but they kind of seem like interesting puzzles, and i tend to spend alot of time trying to figure out what they mean.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 03:01 PM
How is that not awesome?

Good point. Next time you want to play a game try including vicious animal that will rip your limbs off and when its your turn to face them tell me you aren't scared.

KilltheToy
2010-08-03, 03:39 PM
The last nightmare I remember having was about zombies. Incidentally, I'd read the Zombie Survival Guide that night just before going to bed.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-03, 04:04 PM
Good point. Next time you want to play a game try including vicious animal that will rip your limbs off and when its your turn to face them tell me you aren't scared.

Done and done.

Concrete
2010-08-03, 05:16 PM
I am in a house, not my house, a big, strange, one-story house with a huge livingroom, with gigantic glass doord going out towad a patio, and a garden srouded in mist that dance about in a strange way. There are no doors between the rooms in the house, only the kitchen is separated from the rest of the hous by a bamboo drapery. and there is almost no furniture The inside walls and the ceiling of the house are all white, the floors are dark hardwood, and spindly black candelabres hang in the ceiling, but shedding no light. There is only the gray dawnlight filtering in through the windows, making light and no shadows...

There are people in the house, my family, some of my friends. There is going to be a party, and people are preparing food while conversing with low, solemn voices, no one looking the others in the eyes.
There is a room in the house where there is no light, no windows, only a blackness. There is no door separating it from the rest, and nobody goes near it. I try to sak about it, but I can't speak. I try to get peoples attention, but my arms are just bones covered in skin, and they don't feel my touches. They just keep talking. They speak swedish, but I do no longer speak swedish.

Things are coming out of the dark room, things that are almost human, but their skins are black and look like oil and they have my face and they are smiling, and they stink of dust and sweat and fear.

Everyone runs for the kitchen, where they press up against the walls, and stay silent, trembling.
I see eeryone I know, terrified, like deers in headlights. I see my father slide down and whimper, I see my sister and her boyfriend try to hide behind eachother, forcing the other closer to the door, pushing it away. I see my brothers sit there with dead eyes.

I feel that I have to do something, have to save them. I go for a drawer, there are knives in it, things that look like they are made for chopping wood rather than cooking.
I try to lift them, but my skeleton arms are too weak. I struggle, and finally, I have one in my hand, and I stand within the drapery, seeing the dark things on the other side, knowing that if they come though, there is nothing I can do.
The huge window in the livingroom shatters and the mist roll in, with the stench of urine and bad meat, and the things start to humm, like bees and static. They push through the drapery, and they shove me aside. I do not see what they are doing, but I know, I know far too well, but I can't do anything. I'm too weak. I can only lie there and scream in impotent fury and sorrow and fear as I watch the ceiling and hear the whimpers and the cries, as the things that looks like me kill my family.
I wake up.

The worst thing is not the dream itself, but the fact that I can remember it so clearly...

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-03, 05:28 PM
I think my bad dreams are telling me that I need to start gluing my teeth in.
:smalltongue:

Danne
2010-08-03, 09:00 PM
Often as not, my "nightmares" are actually quite enjoyable. Like the one where the giant basilisk-snake-thing from the second Harry Potter movie was chasing me, or the one where my brother and I needed to team up with a local children's museum (where I was volunteering at the time) to fight the Zombie Apocalypse armed only with children's toys and a butter knife. Great fun. :smallbiggrin:

Though the other night I had a freaky one. It started out with one of the kids I work with (I'm a summer camp counselor at the moment) disappearing, and then there were hot air balloons and dinosaurs, and in the end the witch who sent the dinosaurs after us (and who originally kidnapped the little girl, I assume) cast a spell that made it so whenever a song played on the radio that was also on my mp3 player, the entire world would turn into mindless drones and attack me. I have a very vivid memory of a six-year-old boy (that I see on a daily basis) rearing out of the back seat with his mouth wide open, about to eat my face. :smalleek: Creeeeepyyy.

@^: Dude, me too. I've got a recurring one where all my teeth fall out. Wake up terrified every time. *wanders off to go floss*

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-04, 11:56 AM
I think my bad dreams are telling me that I need to start gluing my teeth in.
:smalltongue:

Why does everyone here have nightmares about teeth falling out?

Ponderthought
2010-08-04, 12:21 PM
I dont think ive ever had one, but i have a strange relationship with my teeth. i damn near have to sand blast them every morning to keep all the smoking and coffee from overwhelming them

Dr. Bath
2010-08-04, 02:04 PM
My nightmares are either:

a) Walking on a line in a void.

or b) Wolves with thumbs.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-04, 02:07 PM
Well personally, My favorite picture of the guy is this one. http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee223/ZureTheDarkBeing/NightmareWallpaper.jpg. I prefer Soul Calibur to soul edge.

Being serious now, most of my "nightmares' Involve being a hermaphrodite crossdresser.:smallyuk:

Prime32
2010-08-04, 03:23 PM
hermaphrodite crossdresser.:smallyuk:But how... :smallconfused: never mind.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-04, 06:33 PM
But how... :smallconfused: never mind.

Sorry. Should have explained.

I'm a guy in real life so I feel like it's crossdressing despite the fact I'm a Hermaphrodite in the nightmares.

Cealocanth
2010-08-04, 07:22 PM
My most recent nightmare was simply me watching someone silently talk all night. I coundn't read his lips, see anything below his head, and hear him say anything, but for some reason it was extremely scary.

Ponderthought
2010-08-06, 07:28 AM
Im not sure this counts as a nightmare, but it bears mentioning.

It was a dream within a dream... me and my parents fell asleep in the living room, and all had the same dream. we were exploring this weird underground complex that was some kind of like strip mall dungeon. The kicker was, we all showed up in different parts of the complex each time we went into the dream, and we kept waking up and shifting out positions in the other dream. so while we were awake in the living room we concocted a plan to tackle the creepy place, mainly because our curiosity was insatiable. Were kind of like that. Anyway, once we get back to the dream, we all start shouting at the top of our lungs, so we could find each other via primitive sonar. I kicked down the wall of a polish restaurant to get to them, but then I woke up for real and it was over.

It was a strange mix of curiosity and terror really. I cant pass up a puzzle, but if felt like there was something else in there with us.

The Succubus
2010-08-06, 08:18 AM
This forum is starting to cause me nightmares - was discussing Ring in the Horror Film thread and a couple of nights ago, I dreamed that I was a dark house and picked up a phone. I heard this horrible screeching sound and then Sadako grabbed me from behind.

iDM
2010-08-06, 06:44 PM
I'm crawling down a vent system, when I fall out into the gym at my school. Then I'm chased by giant gym mats and eaten. Sometimes my friends are there and they get eaten too.

That doesn't sound as scary as it does at night while I'm asleep. Hmmm.

Ponderthought
2010-08-06, 09:22 PM
its more disturbing than you think...think about how nasty those mats must be, and its close to hostile architecture, one of my paranoid fears.

iDM
2010-08-06, 11:32 PM
its more disturbing than you think...think about how nasty those mats must be, and its close to hostile architecture, one of my paranoid fears.

Esoteric and wordy. That's my kind of response. :smallamused: