PDA

View Full Version : Hengeyokai help

RE:Insanity
2010-08-02, 09:17 PM
I cannot for the life of me find the 3.5 edition stats for hengeyokai anywhere on the internet! What are they? I know the AD&D version, but that's it.

ryzouken
2010-08-02, 09:28 PM
Hengeyokai are fairly complex in their write up, and can be found in the Oriental Adventures 3.5 supplement. Note that a later errata changed the Hengeyokai to humanoid (shapechanger) typing and made their LA +0.

arguskos
2010-08-02, 09:36 PM
Also, do note that we can't actually give you that info, due to it being not OGL material or anything. We can point you in the direction to look though.

RE:Insanity
2010-08-02, 09:38 PM
Really? Darn. They don't sell 3.5 books any more, so I guess I be screwed...

Marnath
2010-08-02, 09:49 PM
Amazon.com and Ebay.com are your friends...

Tengu_temp
2010-08-02, 10:10 PM
From what I can remember:

Medium, 30 ft base speed.
-2 Wisdom.
Possesses 3 forms: human, animal and hybrid, can change between them as a full-round action, number of times per day equal to 1+character level.
Has the physical stats of its chosen animal in animal form, and low-light vision.
Hybrid form has low-light vision, +2 to a physical stat depending on the animal, minor bonuses (usually +4 to some skill) depending on the animal, and can't wear non-custom heavy armor.
Automagic languages: Human, Hengeyokai.
Favored Class: Wu Jen.
Shapechanger type.
LA +1.

Change the type to Humanoid (Shapechanger) and you can make it a LA +0 race.

mabriss lethe
2010-08-02, 11:04 PM
Not WotC or technically 3.5, but AEG came out with their hybrid d10/d20 books several years ago. The book Fortunes and Winds had a very well done version of hengeyokai.

Boci
2010-08-03, 08:05 AM
From what I can remember:

Medium, 30 ft base speed.
-2 Wisdom.
Possesses 3 forms: human, animal and hybrid, can change between them as a full-round action, number of times per day equal to 1+character level.
Has the physical stats of its chosen animal in animal form, and low-light vision.
Hybrid form has low-light vision, +2 to a physical stat depending on the animal, minor bonuses (usually +4 to some skill) depending on the animal, and can't wear non-custom heavy armor.
Automagic languages: Human, Hengeyokai.
Favored Class: Wu Jen.
Shapechanger type.
LA +1.

Change the type to Humanoid (Shapechanger) and you can make it a LA +0 race.

So pretty similar to a shifter, which is available on crystalkeep.com?

Person_Man
2010-08-03, 08:40 AM
Hengeyokai are awesome. The Fine sized Sparrow form lets you easily qualify for Confound the Big Folk, the Alternate Form lets you qualify for Warshaper, being really small is very helpful for Hide, you get easy access to Fly or Burrow speed, and being really small helps your To-Hit and AC - which rocks for casters and Binders. I'd also say that they're too powerful for a +0 LA. But that's just me.

true_shinken
2010-08-03, 09:43 AM
Hengeyokai are awesome. The Fine sized Sparrow form lets you easily qualify for Confound the Big Folk, the Alternate Form lets you qualify for Warshaper, being really small is very helpful for Hide, you get easy access to Fly or Burrow speed, and being really small helps your To-Hit and AC - which rocks for casters and Binders. I'd also say that they're too powerful for a +0 LA. But that's just me.

Nah, they are on the strongest side of LA+0 but are not worth a LA+1.
Neraphs are LA+0 and stronger than hengeyokai, for example.

Oslecamo
2010-08-03, 10:25 AM
Nah, they are on the strongest side of LA+0 but are not worth a LA+1.
Neraphs are LA+0 and stronger than hengeyokai, for example.

Neraphs don't fly by themselves or get +16 to hide last time I checked.

It's awesome to hear from that errata, finally an LA 0 race that flies!:smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2010-08-03, 11:52 AM
It's awesome to hear from that errata, finally an LA 0 race that flies!:smallbiggrin:

Dragonborn and Raptorian also fly (at 11HD, IIRC) without LA. Outsiders and Kobolds can fly with a Feat.

Cieyrin
2010-08-03, 12:14 PM
Dragonborn and Raptorian also fly (at 11HD, IIRC) without LA. Outsiders and Kobolds can fly with a Feat.

True enough but Hengoyokai fly now, at ECL 1, no feats or extra HD needed, even if you're a sparrow while you're doing so.

Oslecamo
2010-08-03, 01:16 PM
True enough but Hengoyokai fly now, at ECL 1, no feats or extra HD needed, even if you're a sparrow while you're doing so.

This. I already knew about the other ones but Engoyokai is the only one that can fly whitout any strings attached.

And don't forget that you can also fly with hybrid form with a crossbow for laying the pain from above!

But one of my dream characters would be an Hengoyokai warlock! Flying lazer bird!:smallcool: