PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on a module for a new game.

LansXero
2010-08-03, 12:01 AM
Hello everyone;

First (or second) time poster, long time lurker, Im about to start a new group this weekend and I was wondering if I could have some input on what Im intending to do (Ill be DMing; have a bit of practice, but me and the group at which I learned the ropes learned 3.5 together and is a bunch of very competitive min/maxers, so very different animal).

Anyways, the group Im starting with this sunday consists of two very new players (barely gone through half the player's handbook yet), one not-so-new player (used to be the other two guys DM, got them killed at lvl 3 in an introductory adventure playin by RAW), a not-so-motivated guy who is in it just to get a social outlet, but likes the mechanics of combat, and a very experienced guy who used to DM but has his rules all fuzzed up from playin several different systems at some point.

Since most of our group is new and inexperienced, I was thinking a more "railroady" module would be best to start things off. I actually offered them freedom to use any books they could find / buy, but they asked for it to be restricted to core "at least for now, so we dont get confused". So Im thinking giving them a sort of sandbox adventure world wont be very succesful.

I remember my very first roleplaying experience was using this module:
http://www.greenronin.com/store/product/grr1002e.html
Death in Freeport, by Green Ronin. It has very little combat and even less gold / treasure, and its full of interaction, with a maybe rigid plot. I think it would work well with a new-ish group who is still learning the ropes; if anyone else has played it / run it, would you agree?

Also, anyone has any other suggestions for low level adventures for such a group as mine? Or any idea in general? Anything you have to contribute will be hugely apreciated! :D

Hawriel
2010-08-03, 12:05 AM
Goodmen Games has very good adventures for D&D 3rd ed. They are now writing for 4th.

Pathfinder has a handfull of campains out now. They are 6 arc campains that run from 1st to 16th level. They detaile the locations very nicely wile also leaving alot of room for your own ideas.

LansXero
2010-08-03, 12:19 AM
How different are the rules for encounters in 3rd edition / Pathfinder? (I realize now I didnt specify this on the first post, we are playing 3.5). As in, will the races / abilities / NPC classes in need of much work to fit?

CapnVan
2010-08-03, 02:48 AM
How different are the rules for encounters in 3rd edition / Pathfinder? (I realize now I didnt specify this on the first post, we are playing 3.5). As in, will the races / abilities / NPC classes in need of much work to fit?

I believe Paizo still offers a number of modules for 3.5, at least as PDFs. In fact, I think they have a couple still available for free, like Hollow's Last Hope for level 1.

You can find them here (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/modules/35E).

LansXero
2010-08-03, 04:09 AM
Thank you for the link, I got two more modules for review now :D

Ive heard good things about an old school guy at the only hobby store in town about a module called "The sinister secret of saltwater", but I think it was an older edition. I was told it was part of a trilogy, which is interesting. Any idea if there is a 3.5 version of it, or if I could find the original version how hard would it be to update it?

Ponderthought
2010-08-03, 04:16 AM
Ehh, i wouldnt go with anything Saltmash. its always seemed abit..odd. And not in the good way.

Sunless Citadel and Forge of fury are fun to play, and are part of a series that could run all the way up to level 20 if you want.

LansXero
2010-08-03, 04:20 AM
Odd? How so? :O

And Im thinking about the Hollow's Last Hope - Kobold King's Crown - Kobold King's revenge series. Any opinions on that? (from the Paizo site).

Ponderthought
2010-08-03, 04:31 AM
The thing about the saltmash series is it was produced way back in the day, and the feel hasnt translated well (there are indeed 3.5 updates to it, should you choose to look for them) I personally dont like it because of the plot and if I remember correctly, Wastri the Hopping Prophet, god of frogs and human supremacy. I dont remember much about the other entries in the series, but i think they involved aliens or some such nonsense.

LansXero
2010-08-04, 12:28 AM
Ah I see. a god of frogs doesnt seem the king of thing to awe new players :P

Thanks for the comment.

Eronai_Jantig
2010-08-04, 01:12 AM
I guess it depends on how long you want the game to run, I can't stress enough how much I loved the Shackled City Adventure path as a player. However know that core only its incredibly hard, and outside core it can be very easy. I'd suggest allowing outside core and upscaling encounters as you go.

There is a fair amount of content on the paizo boards for it as well. From reading many of the threads there it seems to help a lot if you make the adventure path your own and not just going with whats printed. Many people use Jenya a lot more than what shes there for in the plot. In the game I played in Jill was a very changed and expanded character, wherein the module shes incredibly minor.

I'm hoping to run it fairly soon, fairly heavily modified that extends past the adventure path ending into a "the burning hate" storyline, incorporating Slender Man in the first chapter and possibly on.