PDA

View Full Version : TGGWAT Round 1: Krunk Vs Shoompe

nefele
2010-08-03, 04:48 AM
Krunk Vs Shoompe

You are in your quarters, resting, when the Architect's disembodied voice, soft and androgynous, rings inside your heads.

Krunk, Shoompe. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves.

Six seconds later, you are teleported to the Arena (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As43YDXYJ8pFdEwxd2FseWdOSkYwa3dOZWtULWM1W Wc&hl=en&authkey=COHCrMwB).

The grass is green, the sun shines bright, and the crowd is cheering wildly outside the Walls of Force. The duel begins.

The Procedure:

Part I (how to begin) :
Agree to play with an opponent OR ask the DM to match you up randomly.
Roll and find out in which Arena you'll play. Study the map.
You have a turn to prepare (one swift and one full-round action OR one swift, one move and one standard action). You don't know yet what your opponent looks like.
You are teleported to a random square of the Arena. (DM rolls secretly.) If you have a mount and you didn't mount it during the prep round, it's on an adjacent square. (If you did mount it, it's obviously between your legs.) If you have an animal companion, it's on an adjacent square. If you have a familiar, or any other sidekick, it's nowhere to be found.
Roll initiative. If both contestants are aware of each other, begin round 1. If a contestant is not aware of his or her opponent, a surprise round applies as normal.

Special : Martial Adepts must choose a default stance and maneuver selection. The stance is considered active and the maneuvers are considered readied even before the preparation round. They can change their selection in between fights (informing the DM), but they must do so BEFORE learning where and with whom they'll fight next. From that moment on, they need to spend actions (swift for a new stance, full-round for Adaptive Style) to change anything.

Part II (DM-supervised duels) :
The DM informs you whether there is Line of Sight.
The first time your opponent becomes aware of you, you must describe your appearance in reasonable detail, as it would seem to an observer with eyes and nothing else (no true seeing, no blindsight etc). If your opponent has any such abilities, it's the DM's job to provide the correct description in secret.
All your rolls will be made inside spoiler tags. Keep private the results that would not be perceived by your opponent (Hide/Move Silently, Spot/Listen, Sense Motive, Knowledge, Martial lore, saves etc). Make public the results that would (attack/damage, grapple/disarm/trip etc). For damage in particular, provide a break-down: how much is Power attack, how much is precision damage, how much is energy damage, whether it's slashing/piercing/bludgeoning, whether it's steel/cold iron/adamantine, etc.
Every time you post an action (assuming you are visible at the time), you must describe it in reasonable detail. If you charge or tumble, you must say so explicitly. Provide coordinates for your exact movement. If you don't know whether you are visible or not, put everything inside spoiler tags, and it's the DM's job to tell your opponent what he sees.
If you need your opponent to roll a save or opposing check, ask him to do so but don't give him the DC. It's the DM's job to tell him what happens if he fails.
Make the DM's job easier: Every time you roll, provide a break-down for all modifiers, including type. E.g., "I attack with -5 from Power Attack, +2 insight from Knowledge Devotion, +7 sacred from Law Devotion, +3 competence from Cunning Insight." Also, always include spoiler tags with your stat block, maneuvers left, and anything else you find appropriate.

Part III (honor system) :
If the DM's absent, you know what to do. Takes out the mystery, but admittedly it's faster...

Krunk:
Position: E-1. You stand on a cliff, 10 ft above ground.
LoS: You can see Shoompe at L-12/M-13.

Shoompe:
Position: L-12/M-13. You stand on light undergrowth. No you don't, sorry. Normal terrain.
LoS: You can see Krunk at E-1.

Roll initiative.

Chambers
2010-08-03, 09:45 AM
Krunk

The warforged surveys battlefield, quickly locking on to his opponent. He holds his greataxe in both hands, the adamantine plates of his armor shining. Large spikes burst out from his body and heady.

Initiative [roll0]

All
I suppose in the six seconds he had before being 'ported he'd have drawn his axe. That's all.

KaganMonk
2010-08-03, 03:00 PM
You might want to get this moved to the Ongoing Games Forum, instead of the recruitment forum.

nefele
2010-08-03, 03:23 PM
Oh. My mistake, apologies. I'll try and contact a mod.

Lyndworm
2010-08-03, 06:35 PM
The half-ogre called Shoompe is a massive man, standing nearly nine feet tall. He holds an enormous lash in each hand, letting them drag behind him as he moves. A flash of metal gleams at the tip of each weapon. He wears a steel plate molded after a humanoid torso, and the shoulders and back are covered in wicked spines. A large shield made from a rich, dark wood floats in front of him as if trying to obscure your vision on purpose.

Initiative check:
[roll0]

DM Only:
Can I strike Krunk from 7G-8H? I am fairly confidant that I will win Initiative, and need to know before I attack.

nefele
2010-08-03, 06:51 PM
Lyndworm only:
Yes, since you have 30 ft reach. But with 25 ft speed you can't reach that spot with only a move action.

Also, nice description, but let the fella know that you're a half-ogre, OK?

Lyndworm
2010-08-03, 08:41 PM
Spotting the warforged, Shoompe surges forward. He comes to a stop a little farther from Krunk than when he started. Shoompe looks up and smiles.

All:
Double move to 7O-8P.
DM Only:
Sorry about that. I forgot that he was on Difficult Terrain and couldn't Charge. Post edited, by the way.

Chambers
2010-08-03, 09:48 PM
Krunk

Solid black eyes track the half-ogre as he sprints forward and stops. Taking ponderous, slow steps Krunk walks over to the edge of the cliff and hops down, crushing the grass beneath his armored bulk. He hefts the greataxe up in both hands, ready for action.

All

Move action to I1.

DM

Total Defense as Standard Action. +4 Dodge AC for 1 round.

nefele
2010-08-04, 04:03 AM
ROUND 2

Shoompe's turn.

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 02:56 AM
When the warforged comes closer, Shoompe's smile only broadens. He breaks into a sprint, running back towards his starting position with his whips flailing behind him. Before he comes to a stop, Shoompe leaps into the air and uses his momentum to swing the lashes around his body. It is only now that their incredible length is truly noticed; they swing directly for Krunk.

All:
Initiate Rage and Charge to 6I-7J. Attack with both lashes due to Two-Weapon Pounce. Trip attempt with both of them. Using Power Attack and Shock Trooper to take a -5 penalty to AC and -5 to hit to gain +10 to damage. Using Leap Attack for +100% Power Attack damage.

Jump check to clear 10ft horizontally:
[roll0]

If the jump check is a failure, than the following damage rolls do -10 damage.

Touch Attack 1:
[roll1]

Strength Check 1:
[roll2]

If successful;

Attack 1 (ignores Armor Bonuses to AC):
[roll3]

Damage 1:
[roll4]

If unsuccessful;

Touch Attack 2:
[roll5]

Strength Check 2:
[roll6]

If successful;

Attack 2 (ignores Armor bonuses to AC):
[roll7]

Damage 2:
[roll8]

If both attacks deal damage, than Krunk automatically takes the following damage:

Rend Damage:
[roll9]

Chambers
2010-08-05, 08:55 AM
DM

I have concealment from the grass, so he needs to roll that. And none of his power attack damage hits me due to Elusive Target.

edit:
All

Is there a visible reason that I could see that would explain the weapons ignoring armor? If it's a brilliant energy effect, we need a rules clarification.

By RAW, Warforged are not damaged by Brilliant Energy weapons.

SRD - A brilliant energy weapon cannot harm undead, constructs, and objects.

ECS - Living Construct Subtype (Ex): Warforged are constructs with the living construct subtype

Nothing in the Living Construct Subtype states that Warforged are subject to Brilliant Energy weapons.

There is this though:
—As living constructs, warforged can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs.

However, the Brilliant Energy weapon special ability is not a spell. So we need a DM ruling.

nefele
2010-08-05, 01:59 PM
Krunk:
Aye, I know and I'll let him know, too. :)

Shoompe:
That's... not how charge works. You need to end your movement in the nearest square you can threaten the target, and whips don't threaten anywhere at all. You have to end your movement 10 ft away from him in order to charge. (You have 10 ft reach, right?) However, he is surrounded by difficult terrain, so you can't charge at all at this point. You can move and attack once.
I'm an idiot and I apologize. :smalleek:

Also, he is in light undergrowth, therefore has concealment (see notes on the right). That's a 20% miss chance you must roll for every attack.

Both: That was an illegal move, so a retcon is needed.

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 02:37 PM
I can only apologize for my mistake. I'm sure I could come up with a half dozen excuses, but they would be only excuses.

You raise an interesting point, Unnamedhero. I had realized that Brilliant Energy Weapons (for that is indeed what they are) did not affect constructs, but I was under the impression that they did affect living constructs. In retrospect, I do not recall ever reading anything anywhere that would imply such a thing. I would appreciate a DM ruling on this as well, since it greatly affects how I (re)take my turn.

Once again, I apologize for my mistakes. I feel incredibly foolish.

nefele
2010-08-05, 02:40 PM
Important ruling:
A strict RAW reading of the Brilliant Energy property would say that it does not affect Warforged. But since the reasoning behind this is that "it ignores nonliving matter", and since Warforged are decidedly living, I'll rule that Brilliant Energy weapons DO harm warforged.

Lynd: Unnamedhero deducted the Brilliant Energy part, I didn't tell him. But he should know already. Your whips look like they are made of light. (Like lightsabers, but longer, slenderer, and more flexible. :smalltongue:) It would be evident.

Chambers
2010-08-05, 03:31 PM
I wasn't sure they were BE, just figured that might be one answer. But I'm okay with the ruling (RAI vs RAW). Game on! :smallsmile:

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 03:32 PM
When the warforged comes closer, Shoompe's smile only broadens. He takes a single step forward and uses his momentum to swing the lashes around either side of his body. It is only now that their incredible length is truly noticed; they swing directly for Krunk.

All:
Initiate Rage and 5ft step to 6N-7O. Full attack on Krunk. Trip attempt with each attack until the warforged falls, in which case regular attack will be made.

Miss Chances (21+ hits):
Miss chance for attack 1:
[roll0]

Miss chance for attack 2:
[roll1]

Miss chance for attack 3:
[roll2]

Miss chance for attack 4:
[roll3]

Miss chance for attack 5:
[roll4]

Miss chance for attack 6:
[roll5]
Trip Attempts:
Touch Attack 1:
[roll6]

Strength Check 1:
[roll7] (I forgot my Size bonus last time)

Touch Attack 2:
[roll8]

Strength Check 2:
[roll9]

Touch Attack 3:
[roll10]

Strength Check 3:
[roll11]

Touch Attack 4:
[roll12]

Strength Check 4:
[roll13]

Touch Attack 5:
[roll14]

Strength Check 5:
[roll15]

Touch Attack 6:
[roll16]

Strength Check 6:
[roll17]
If any of the Trip attempts is successful, Improved Trip grants me an attack at the same bonus. Refer to the appropriately numbered attacks below. All listed attacks are made with Brilliant Energy weapons.

Attacks:
Attack 1:
[roll18]

Damage 1:
[roll19]

Attack 2:
[roll20]

Damage 2:
[roll21]

Attack 3:
[roll22]

Damage 3:
[roll23]

Attack 4:
[roll24]

Damage 4:
[roll25]

Attack 5:
[roll26]

Damage 5:
[roll27]

Attack 6:
[roll28]

Damage 6:
[roll29]
If Krunk is hit by both an even-numbered attack and an odd-numbered attack, he takes additional damage without an attack roll:

Rend Damage:
[roll30]

nefele
2010-08-05, 03:44 PM
Objection, your honour.
Lynd:
To count distances diagonally, the first square counts as 5 ft, the second as 10, the third as 5 and so on. If you take a 5 ft step, there are still 35 ft between you and Krunk.

I really think you must contend yourself with only one attack for this round. If it's a trip attempt and it works, you can attack immediately with Improved Trip. You won't get an AoO when he tries to get up, though, because you don't threaten.

Is it clear now? :)

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 04:05 PM
All:
You're absolutely right, Nefele. I miscalculate the distance. I counted that there was 30ft between us, not that Krunk was 30ft away. :smallsigh: I feel so foolish now. I've flubbed two of three posts right in a row due only to my own incompetence in one area or another.

When the warforged comes closer, Shoompe's smile only broadens. He takes a few steps forward and uses his momentum to swing one of his lashes around the side of his body. It is only now that their incredible length is truly noticed; they swing directly for Krunk.

OK, now we have just the one, single attack. Move action to go to 5M-6N, Standard action to make a Trip attempt.

Touch Attack:
[roll0]

Strength check:
[roll1]

If successful, then Improved Trip grants a free attack.

Attack:
[roll2] (Brilliant Energy)

Damage:
[roll3]

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 04:07 PM
I forgot the Concealment, oops:

21+ hits:
[roll0]

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 04:09 PM
I screwed up damage, too. It should be 1d8, not 1d20. :smallannoyed:

[roll0]

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 04:23 PM
Second concealment roll, fourth post in a row:

21+ hits:
[roll0]

Chambers
2010-08-05, 04:39 PM
Krunk

The lash flares out and wraps around the warforgeds leg, pulling it up and slamming him to the ground. With a quick return it comes back and slaps against him. Krunk starts shaking violently while on the ground, his metal teeth grinding against each other. He uses his axe to push himself off the ground and pauses a moment, looking at the grass in between himself and the half-ogre. Still shaking, he holds the axe in one hand and quickly climbs the cliff, standing on top.

All

Take 17? damage.

Move action - Stand up
Move Action - Climb cliff using Accelerated Climbing. I tap the DC 15.

Current Location: 1H
Cover - +4 AC.

DM

Frenzy activates. Lasts for 7 rounds.

nefele
2010-08-05, 04:45 PM
ROUND 2

The crowd cheers as the warforged falls down, tangled in the half-ogre's lash. "Kinky!" shouts someone who sounds suspiciously like Belkar. "Come on, get up! Show him!" shouts someone else. No clear preference has been shown yet by the unforgiving audience, and people are still taking bets.

Both:
Do go on. :)

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 04:55 PM
Seeing the tiny metal man flee from his lash please Shoompe greatly, and he laughs openly at the mistake. "Haha! You should've stayed in the tall grass, shiny man!" Taking a step to his left, the half-ogre again swings his whip towards the warforged. This time it is followed by another lashing, however, and another, and another...

5ft step to 5L-6M. Full attack on Krunk. Trip attempt with each attack until the warforged falls, in which case regular attack will be made.

Trip Attempts:
Touch Attack 1:
[roll0]

Strength Check 1:
[roll1]

Touch Attack 2:
[roll2]

Strength Check 2:
[roll3]

Touch Attack 3:
[roll4]

Strength Check 3:
[roll5]

Touch Attack 4:
[roll6]

Strength Check 4:
[roll7]

Touch Attack 5:
[roll8]

Strength Check 5:
[roll9]

Touch Attack 6:
[roll10]

Strength Check 6:
[roll11]
If any of the Trip attempts is successful, Improved Trip grants me an attack at the same bonus. Refer to the appropriately numbered attacks below. All listed attacks are made with Brilliant Energy weapons.

Attacks:
Attack 1:
[roll12]

Damage 1:
[roll13]

Attack 2:
[roll14]

Damage 2:
[roll15]

Attack 3:
[roll16]

Damage 3:
[roll17]

Attack 4:
[roll18]

Damage 4:
[roll19]

Attack 5:
[roll20]

Damage 5:
[roll21]

Attack 6:
[roll22]

Damage 6:
[roll23]
If Krunk is hit by both an even-numbered attack and an odd-numbered attack, he takes additional damage without an attack roll:

Rend Damage:
[roll24]

Chambers
2010-08-05, 05:22 PM
Krunk

Brought down again by the lashes, Krunk writhes on the top of the cliff as they beat at him. When they stop he again stands and glares at the half-ogre. He takes a quick step forward and jumps off the cliff, landing just outside the grass. His body is still shaking horribly, the metal plating scraping and groaning as it twists and bends with his movements. He raises his greataxe and yells out an animalistic cry.

All

Move Action - Stand up
Move Action - Move/Jump to 4F.

Damage taken: 130

Intimidate check: [roll0]
Shoompe: Make a check to resist being demoralized according the rules under Intimidate. [(1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear)]

DM

Get up, move, then activate Rage, using Intimidating Rage. Shoompe is within 30ft.
Activate Rage: 9 rounds left
Frenzy: 8 rounds left

nefele
2010-08-05, 05:33 PM
unnamedhero:
All's well.
Could you update your char sheet? New Str and Con score, current hp, hp left? Thanks. :)

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 05:49 PM
The half-ogre recoils away from the metal man, a new respect showing itself. He pushes past his doubts, and Shoompe leaps into the air and uses his momentum to swing the lashes around his body. He brings them whirling towards Krunk's legs, intending to drop the metal man once and for all.

Charge to 5J-6K. Two-Weapon Pounce on Krunk. Trip attempt with each attack until the warforged falls, in which case regular attacks will be made. Attack rolls and Strength checks do not take into account the -2 penalty from the Shaken condition (which he may or may not have). Using Power Attack and Shock Trooper to take a -5 penalty to AC and -5 to hit to gain +10 to damage. Using Leap Attack for +100% Power Attack damage.

Level Check vs DC 27:
[roll0]

Jump check to clear 10ft horizontally:
[roll1]

If the jump check is a failure, than the following damage rolls do -10 damage.

Trip Attempts:
Touch Attack 1:
[roll2]

Strength Check 1:
[roll3]

Touch Attack 2:
[roll4]

Strength Check 2:
[roll5]

Attacks:
Attack 1:
[roll6]

Damage 1:
[roll7]

Attack 2:
[roll8]

Damage 2:
[roll9]
If Krunk is hit by both attacks, he takes additional damage without an attack roll:

Rend Damage:
[roll10]

nefele
2010-08-05, 06:26 PM
ROUND 3

The warforged takes a beating, but still manages to unnerve the half-ogre with a single yell. The crowd is thrilled.

To recap:
Lynd regrettably has to retcon his turn, because he can't charge after all (for real, this time. :smalleek:) Shoompe is shaken (-2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks) and currently at L5/M6. Krunk is at F4. Shoompe's turn.

Lyndworm
2010-08-06, 01:02 AM
The half-ogre recoils away from the metal man, a new respect showing itself. Shoompe pushes past his doubts, however, and he again swings his whips at the warforged. He brings them whirling towards Krunk's legs, intending to drop the metal man once and for all with another barrage.

All:
Full attack on Krunk. Trip attempt with each attack until the warforged falls, in which case regular attacks will be made. I've taken into account the penalties for the Shaken condition.

Trip Attempts:
Touch Attack 1:
[roll0]

Strength Check 1:
[roll1]

Touch Attack 2:
[roll2]

Strength Check 2:
[roll3]

Touch Attack 3:
[roll4]

Strength Check 3:
[roll5]

Touch Attack 4:
[roll6]

Strength Check 4:
[roll7]

Touch Attack 5:
[roll8]

Strength Check 5:
[roll9]

Touch Attack 6:
[roll10]

Strength Check 6:
[roll11]

Attacks:
Attack 1:
[roll12]

Damage 1:
[roll13]

Attack 2:
[roll14]

Damage 2:
[roll15]

Attack 3:
[roll16]

Damage 3:
[roll17]

Attack 4:
[roll18]

Damage 4:
[roll19]

Attack 5:
[roll20]

Damage 5:
[roll21]

Attack 6:
[roll22]

Damage 6:
[roll23]

Rend Damage:
[roll24]

Chambers
2010-08-06, 08:53 AM
Krunk

The warforged easily slaps the lashes away from his body, trying to grab hold of them and pull Shoompe to the floor.

All

Resisting the Trip attempts. If Krunk beats Shoompe on any of Shoompe attempts he will immediately react and make a Strength check to trip Shoompe.

Trip Resist

1: [roll0] vs DC 20

2: [roll1] vs DC 16

3: [roll2] vs DC 21

4: [roll3] vs DC 19

5: [roll4] vs DC 28

6: [roll5] vs DC 16

If any of those beat the listed DC (Shoompe's strength check for that particular trip attempt) Krunk will immediately make a trip attempt in return.
Shoompe may of course drop his whip(s) if he is re-tripped to avoid being tripped.

Rolling them now to save from double-posting.

1: [roll6]

2: [roll7]

3: [roll8]

4: [roll9]

5: [roll10]

6: [roll11]

Lyndworm
2010-08-06, 12:20 PM
Shoompe immediately drops his lashes as the warforged pulls them away. The big man snarls, but says nothing.

All:
it is still your turn, correct?

Chambers
2010-08-06, 12:37 PM
All

Yes, that happened on your turn. You don't have to drop your weapons unless I succeed on the re-trip attempt. So you can make 6 checks to resist being tripped if you want to, but if you fail one you'll have to drop that weapon in order to avoid being tripped.

Here are the DC's by weapon.

Primary

Secondary

Lyndworm
2010-08-06, 12:51 PM
All:
I was thinking that I automatically fail the second Primary attempt (max roll 33) and the first Secondary attempt (max roll 26), so I just went ahead and dropped the whips. I am wrong however, because I do have a shot at keeping the first whip, even if I do need to roll 19 or better to win.

Primary Strength check vs DC 16:
[roll0]

Primary Strength check vs DC 31:
[roll1]

Primary Strength check vs DC 19:
[roll2]

I still drop them, so... Congratulations? :smalltongue:

Chambers
2010-08-06, 12:59 PM
All

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure you had the chance to resist.

DM/Any
Exactly what square are Shoompe's weapons in?

Chambers
2010-08-06, 01:06 PM
Krunk

A gleam comes into the warforged's eyes as the half-ogre releases the painful lashes. Stepping forward, he grips his greataxe tighter and advances on his opponent.

All

Double move to 5K.

DM

AC vs AoO: On sheet under Additional Information

Lyndworm
2010-08-06, 01:24 PM
As the warforged comes closer to him, Shoompe's snarl turns to a grin. "Big mistake, Mr Shiny." When Krunk steps closer, the half-ogre's fist shoots out towards him. Before either of them is sure of his punch's effectiveness, Shoompe grabs the warforged and squeezes tightly, his spiked armor finally showing it's usefulness.

Shoompe has 10ft reach, so Krunk's movement provokes an AoO. He's also wearing gauntlets, so Shoompe's still armed.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Whether that attack is successful or not, Shoompe will attempt to initiate a Grapple. He has Improved Grapple, so he doesn't provoke an AoO.

Touch Attack:
[roll2]

Grapple Check:
[roll3] (including -4 penalty to do lethal damage)

Grapple Damage (lethal):
[roll4]

Spiked Armor Damage:
[roll5]

Chambers
2010-08-06, 01:34 PM
Krunk

Shoompes gauntleted fist strikes a solid blow on Krunk, though he can not resist the grapple and is pulled in.

All

Did you include the -2 from Shaken on the grapple check?

Also - the first attack was the AoO, and the grapple attack was your regular turn, right?

My DR blocks some damage from the Attack of Opportunity.

(This is my reaction post, not my turn post.)
Grapple Check to resist being Grappled.
[roll0]

Chambers
2010-08-06, 01:59 PM
Krunk

Caught in the grips of the half-orge, Krunk tries to escape.

All

I'm going to make 3 grapple checks to escape. If one of them succeeds I will be free from the grapple and standing in square 5K. I will then use the rest of my attacks to attack Shoompe with my greataxe.

1: [roll0]

2: [roll1]

3: [roll2]

If I succeed on the first attempt, here are my attack rolls.

Atk 1 [roll3] Damage [roll4] +15 damage from Power Attack

If critical [roll5] Add Damage [roll6] +30 damage from Power Attack

Atk 2 [roll7] Damage [roll8] +15 damage from Power Attack

If critical [roll9] Add Damage [roll10] +30 damage from Power Attack

If I succeed on the second attempt, here is my attack roll.

Atk 1 [roll11] Damage [roll12] +15 damage from Power Attack

If critical [roll13] Add Damage [roll14] +30 damage from Power Attack

If I succeed on the third attepmt, I make no attack and my turn is ended, standing in square 5K.

DM: HP and other things updated on sheet.

nefele
2010-08-07, 05:28 AM
ROUND 5
The crowd has gone wild. Those who had given up on Krunk can now be seen eating their hats. Anything can happen.

To recap:
Shoompe is at J5/K6, Krunk is at J5. Get a room, people.

About the whips:
The whips are sprawled across the grass. The hilts are on Shoompe's adjacent (at the time of the trip attempt) squares, that is K5 and K6 respectively. They stretch 20 ft towards Krunk's previous position. (See the map). Anyone can pick up a whip with a move action. If you are not on the same square as the hilt, you cannot attack with it before spending another move action to get hold of it properly. (It counts as manipulating an item.)

Apologies for not answering earlier, and Chambers, you found a name! Good for you! :)

Chambers
2010-08-07, 08:46 AM
All

Okay, thanks.

Still waiting on Lynd to roll the opposed grapple checks to see if I escape. :smallsmile:

Lyndworm
2010-08-07, 10:39 PM
The half-ogre continues wrestling with the warforged, shouting incoherently as he does so.

All:
Sorry it took so long, guys. I've been really busy with renovations on the house the past couple days and didn't have time to post until now.

I did not include the -2 penalty from being Shaken last round, nor did I do so this round. Aren't I only Intimidated for one round, anyway?

You can also use Intimidate to weaken an opponent’s resolve in combat. To do so, make an Intimidate check opposed by the target’s modified level check (see above). If you win, the target becomes shaken for 1 round. A shaken character takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. You can intimidate only an opponent that you threaten in melee combat and that can see you.
Emphasis mine.

Grapple checks:
Grapple check 1:
[roll0]

Grapple check 2:
[roll1] (Should this be at -5? It wins anyway, but it would be handy to know in the future.)

Grapple check 3:
[roll2] (Should this be at -10? It also wins, but knowledge is power, after all.)
I'll freely admit that I'm not as clear on the grapple rules as I should be, but is it correct that any time Shoompe wins a grapple check he also inflicts armor spike damage? Or does he inflict armor spike damage only when he attempts to deal damage in a grapple? I'd think the second one, but I'm not sure. The relevant entries:

You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage on a successful grapple attack. The spikes count as a martial weapon. If you are not proficient with them, you take a –4 penalty on grapple checks when you try to use them. You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case.
While grappling, you can deal damage to your opponent equivalent to an unarmed strike. Make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. If you win, you deal nonlethal damage as normal for your unarmed strike (1d3 points for Medium attackers or 1d2 points for Small attackers, plus Strength modifiers). If you want to deal lethal damage, you take a –4 penalty on your grapple check.

I'll go ahead and roll damage just in case:
Damage 1:
[roll3]

Damage 2:
[roll4]

Damage 3:
[roll5]

Assuming that Shoompe wins the grapple checks, he attempts to deal damage.

Grapple check:
[roll6] (including -4 penalty to deal lethal damage)

Grapple Damage (lethal):
[roll7]

Spiked Armor Damage:
[roll8]

Chambers
2010-08-07, 10:51 PM
All

No, you only do damage with a grapple check when you specifically make a grapple check to deal damage.

You are still shaken. This particular ability lasts longer than the normal rules for Intimidate.

I don't believe that your subsequent grapple checks against my escape attempts take a penalty.

Grapple Check to resist damage. [roll0]

I don't think I'm ever going to escape. In order for me to have a chance of beating your grapple check you have to roll a 9 or lower. If you roll a 10 or higher you get 50+, and the highest I can roll is 50.

So if you roll a 9, that gets you 49. I need to roll a 20 to escape. Even if you roll a 1, I still need to roll higher than a 12 to escape. So I can only escape if you roll under 10 and at the same time I roll over 12.

This isn't looking very good for me. :smallfrown:

nefele
2010-08-08, 04:28 AM
Those darn grapple rules:
Armor spikes deal damage when you make a grapple attack, but not when you make any other opposed grapple check.

Lynd, your opposed grapple checks were made to keep Krunk from escaping, during his turn. They are not iterative attacks, and therefore do not take a -5/-10 penalty.

And finally, a Grapple check made during your turn to start a grapple, or deal damage to a grappled opponent, or pin a grappled opponent, all these are attacks, not standard actions. With a +15/+10/+5 BAB, you can make three of those each round, with the appropriate penalty to BAB from iterative attacks.

A proposal:
About Chambers's proposal to speed things up, I know I told him to go ahead and start rolling, but we'll wait for Lyndworm's input before continuing. Hope it's not a problem. :)

Lyndworm
2010-08-09, 01:17 AM
All:
Thanks for clearing up the grapple rules. Seeing as it's a pretty major part of my build, I'm a little bit rusty. :smalltongue:

I've read the proposal, and I agree with it entirely. I'll go ahead and roll, say, fifty more grapple checks. It is worth noting that I have been Raging for the past four rounds, and that will wear off in four more rounds, lowering my Grapple bonus considerably. Including the Fatigued condition, Grapples that take place after Round 8 are at -8, and Damage is at -4. I have not included the Shaken penalties, as I am unsure as to how long this condition is supposed to last.

Grapple Attacks (including -4 penalty to deal lethal damage):
Grapple 1:
[roll0]

Grapple 2:
[roll1]

Grapple 3:
[roll2]

Grapple 4:
[roll3]

Grapple 5:
[roll4]

Grapple 6:
[roll5]

Grapple 7:
[roll6]

Grapple 8:
[roll7]

Grapple 9:
[roll8]

Grapple 10:
[roll9]

Grapple 11:
[roll10]

Grapple 12:
[roll11]

Grapple 13:
[roll12]

Grapple 14:
[roll13]

Grapple 15:
[roll14]

Grapple 16:
[roll15]

Grapple 17:
[roll16]

Grapple 18:
[roll17]

Grapple 19:
[roll18]

Grapple 20:
[roll19]

Grapple 21:
[roll20]

Grapple 22:
[roll21]

Grapple 23:
[roll22]

Grapple 24:
[roll23]

Grapple 25:
[roll24]

Grapple 26:
[roll25]

Grapple 27:
[roll26]

Grapple 28:
[roll27]

Grapple 29:
[roll28]

Grapple 30:
[roll29]
Grapple Damage:
Damage 1:
[roll30]
[roll31]

Damage 2:
[roll32]
[roll33]

Damage 3:
[roll34]
[roll35]

Damage 4:
[roll36]
[roll37]

Damage 5:
[roll38]
[roll39]

Damage 6:
[roll40]

Damage 7:
[roll41]
[roll42]

Damage 8:
[roll43]
[roll44]

Damage 9:
[roll45]
[roll46]

Damage 10:
[roll47]
[roll48]

Damage 11:
[roll49]
[roll50]

Damage 12:
[roll51]
[roll52]

Damage 13:
[roll53]
[roll54]

Damage 14:
[roll55]
[roll56]

Damage 15:
[roll57]
[roll58]

Damage 16:
[roll59]
[roll60]

Damage 17:
[roll61]
[roll62]

Damage 18:
[roll63]
[roll64]

Damage 19:
[roll65]
[roll66]

Damage 20:
[roll67]
[roll68]

Damage 21:
[roll69]
[roll70]

Damage 22:
[roll71]
[roll72]

Damage 23:
[roll73]
[roll74]

Damage 24:
[roll75]
[roll76]

Damage 25:
[roll77]
[roll78]

Damage 26:
[roll79]
[roll80]

Damage 27:
[roll81]
[roll82]

Damage 28:
[roll83]
[roll84]

Damage 29:
[roll85]
[roll86]

Damage 30:
[roll87]
[roll88]
Grapple checks:
Grapple 1:
[roll89]

Grapple 2:
[roll90]

Grapple 3:
[roll91]

Grapple 4:
[roll92]

Grapple 5:
[roll93]

Grapple 6:
[roll94]

Grapple 7:
[roll95]

Grapple 8:
[roll96]

Grapple 9:
[roll97]

Grapple 10:
[roll98]

Grapple 11:
[roll99]

Grapple 12:
[roll100]

Grapple 13:
[roll101]

Grapple 14:
[roll102]

Grapple 15:
[roll103]

Grapple 16:
[roll104]

Grapple 17:
[roll105]

Grapple 18:
[roll106]

Grapple 19:
[roll107]

Grapple 20:
[roll108]

nefele
2010-08-09, 04:03 AM
Both:
Very well. Chambers, start rolling, and we'll figure out the results later. Please write down during which round each escape attempt happens, it's important. :)

Chambers
2010-08-09, 09:18 AM
All

For reason that will become clear later, I'm going to ignore Shoompes Grapple checks to deal damage, and just roll my grapple checks to escape.

The shaken condition lasts until, and including, round 10.

Round 5

1 [roll0] vs 52
2 [roll1] vs 58
3 [roll2] vs 47

Round 6

4 [roll3] vs 54
5 [roll4] vs 55
6 [roll5] vs 46

Round 7

7 [roll6] vs 56
8 [roll7] vs 41
9 [roll8] vs 49

Round 8

10 [roll9] vs 53
11 [roll10] vs 46
12 [roll11] vs 48

Round 9

13 [roll12] vs 43
14 [roll13] vs 34
15 [roll14] vs 36

Round 10

16 [roll15] vs 43
17 [roll16] vs 50
18 [roll17] vs 31

Huzzah! I escape with my second attempt during round 9! I'll let Nef/Lynd verify this and then continue with the rest of my actions in round 9.

nefele
2010-08-09, 01:09 PM
Verification denied. :smalleek:
Shoompe started raging on Round 2. His rage lasts 8 rounds. This means that Round 9 is his last round of raging. So his grapple checks for Round 9 (checks No 13, 14 and 15) take only a -2 penalty from Shaken, and are, respectively: 51, 42, 44. Krunk doesn't beat either of those.

The penalties from losing Rage and becoming Fatigued (and Shaken) apply to Round 10. But still, he rolls higher than Krunk. Therefore, at the end of Round 10, Krunk is still within Shoompe's arms.

Objections? Did I do the math wrong somewhere? If not, we have a winner.

Chambers
2010-08-09, 01:18 PM
All

Ah. That seems right, except I escape with the last grapple check in round 10. Can't do anything afterwards, but oh well.

nefele
2010-08-09, 01:56 PM
Ah. That seems right, except I escape with the last grapple check in round 10. Can't do anything afterwards, but oh well.
Err... yes. Sorry, I missed that. But you're right, it doesn't change anything.
It's a grapple of death.

For the next 5 rounds, Shoompe succeeds in keeping Krunk down, and keeps dealing grapple damage. Krunk struggles to escape, but in vain. Finally, he manages to break free. But before he has time to do anything else, he falls dead on the grass, as if he just remembered how much wounded he really is.

Everyone in the crowd gets up and starts cheering. The duel has ended.

Match Finalized.
Victor: Shoompe.