PDA

View Full Version : Of Water, Swimming, and Wavekeeper-Clerics.

Mnemnosyne
2010-08-03, 07:56 AM
I'm working on a very water-oriented cleric at the moment that's going to lose one caster level (Fighter dip) in order to get an extra feat and weapon proficiencies at 2nd level (partly thematic so I can't really get rid of it). Domains are currently going to be Water (for the alternate turning type to power DMM) and Travel (for the spell list).

I'm looking for two key things, and I haven't had a lot of luck tracking down spells/feats/abilities/ACF's to obtain them on my own.

Swim Speed. Since a swim speed allows you to swim at your normal speed even when armored, I really want to get a swim speed that I can make mostly permanent (DMM persist is acceptable). A Crystal of Aquatic Action from MiC would be ideal, but MiC isn't on my DM's list of allowed books at the moment so I'm looking for other options before I ask about getting the item permitted.

Animal Companion. The Wavekeeper class comes with a swim speed as well as several other very thematically appropriate features for the character, but it requires an animal companion as an entry prerequisite. I could dip Druid to get one, but it would mean I'd lose another caster level from cleric progression. In addition to yet another caster level loss from Wavekeeper 1. Are there any other options to qualify for that class other than dipping Druid? The other requirements I can meet by level 5, but I don't know if the animal companion thing is even possible without doing Druid 1.

hamishspence
2010-08-03, 08:03 AM
Maybe pick one of the water races from Stormwrack?

Which is a good source for water spells in general.

Mnemnosyne
2010-08-03, 08:35 AM
Not really an option unfortunately, not allowed to start as an aquatic race or I likely would have been an Avanti in the first place. I just want to make the swimming problems into a non-issue ASAP. I unfortunately failed to note in my initial post that the character is Human.

Lysander
2010-08-03, 01:16 PM
From the SRD:

Pearl of the Sirines

This normal-seeming pearl is beautiful and worth at least 1,000 gp on that basis alone. If it is clasped firmly in hand or held to the breast while the possessor attempts actions related to the pearl’s powers, she understands and is able to employ the item.

The pearl enables its possessor to breathe in water as if she were in clean, fresh air. Her swim speed is 60 feet, and she can cast spells and act underwater without hindrance.

Moderate abjuration and transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, freedom of movement, water breathing; Price 15,300 gp.

Cloak of the Manta Ray

This cloak appears to be made of leather until the wearer enters salt water. At that time the cloak of the manta ray adheres to the individual, and he appears nearly identical to a manta ray (as the polymorph spell, except that it allows only manta ray form). He gains a +3 natural armor bonus, the ability to breathe underwater, and a swim speed of 60 feet, like a real manta ray.

Although the cloak does not enable the wearer to bite opponents as a manta ray does, it does have a tail spine that can be used to strike at opponents behind the wearer, dealing 1d6 points of damage. This attack can be used in addition to any other attack the character has, using his highest melee attack bonus. The wearer can release his arms from the cloak without sacrificing underwater movement if so desired.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, polymorph, water breathing; Price 7,200 gp; Weight 1 lb.