PDA

View Full Version : Encounters for dummies

ufo
2010-08-03, 08:58 AM
So, I'm going to be DMing my first serious group soon, using D&D 3.5.

However, I'd like to hear your tips on devising and executing interesting and balanced encounters. Right now, my primary concern is that I don't know how to balance an encounter that includes no monsters, only standard races (specifically talking about an ambush by bandits here).

Critical
2010-08-03, 08:59 AM

However, I'd like to hear your tips on devising and executing interesting and balanced encounters. Right now, my primary concern is that I don't know how to balance an encounter that includes no monsters, only standard races (specifically talking about an ambush by bandits here).
That depends... How many players do you have and what characters are they playing?

Psyx
2010-08-03, 09:27 AM
Aim low: If an encounter is too easy, it's not a problem. If it wipes the party, it is. So go for stuff that's likely to be easy, rather than risk hard stuff.

Stage encounters so that reinforcements arrive, or the monsters arrive in waves. That way -if things are too difficult- the other waves/reinforcements can simply not turn up.

WarKitty
2010-08-03, 09:50 AM
My rules:

If you're a fairly new DM, limit the number of monsters you throw at the players at one time. The horde of cr 1/4 monsters looks cool but it's too hard to keep track.

Ditto about easy monsters. If it looks too easy it's ok for the monster to suddenly gain more hit points mid-battle.

Don't be afraid to fudge numbers in general. Be open with your players that you do this, so no-one feels like you're cheating. That crit where the opponent has just rolled *really* well the whole time and is about to kill a player really doesn't need to happen.

Get a battle grid. Seriously. A dry erase board will work just fine, or graph paper with little colored pebbles on it.

Prime32
2010-08-03, 10:22 AM

However, I'd like to hear your tips on devising and executing interesting and balanced encounters. Right now, my primary concern is that I don't know how to balance an encounter that includes no monsters, only standard races (specifically talking about an ambush by bandits here).NPCs have a CR equal to their class level, assuming standard races. If they use NPC classes it's one lower. Doubling the number of enemies increases CR by 2. So for a party of four lv8 PCs you could send one lv8 rogue or two lv7 warriors.

Of course, the CR system isn't always accurate. A CR-appropriate encounter is supposed to make the party use up 20% of their resources (per-day abilities, hp, etc.) Judge XP based on how challenging the encounter was for the group.

Calmar
2010-08-03, 10:31 AM
I think the good old Encounter Level Calculator (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/ELCALC/Welcome.asp) is a nice and handy tool for encounter-creation.
An Encounter level that equals the average Character Level isn't really chalenging and everything below is fairly easy. You want these for unimportant skirmishes that keep the heroes alert without exhausting them.
An EL of +2 or +3 is going to be tough for the PCs - the right thing for serious encounters.
Also, in my opinion, few strong baddies are more difficult and more interesting than a big bunch of moderately threatening guys. :smallsmile:

Oslecamo
2010-08-03, 10:45 AM
Altough still not finished, my guide to DMs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133604) provides several tips on making ecounters, including adding levels and equiping NPCs.

Glimbur
2010-08-03, 04:14 PM
Moving in waves is also handy. Plan a bandit ambush, with skirmishers in concealment and archers uphill. Then, a few rounds later, cavalry shows up behind the PC's. If the battle is going badly, the cavalry doesn't show. If the fight is still too easy, the bandit's zeppelin comes in to view... etc. Moderation is still key, most groups won't enjoy a session being entirely one drawn out combat, but you don't have to put all your cards on the table at once and nothing is set in stone until the PC's see it.