PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, Optimization] Bow ranger

MariettaGecko
2010-08-03, 12:38 PM
Ok, so I know that this character is going to be anything but optimized, but I am trying to do what I can. I have the following setup (note that I don't have all my abilities referenced, but I can get them once I get home, if needed):

Wood Elf Ranger 5/DeepWood Sniper 2/Ranger +5
I have convinced my DM to let me have an Energy Bow (as per the D&D cartoon) as an Item Familiar, and to allow me to take a Belt of Battle. I don't have the money to add Splitting yet, but I will be as soon as I can reasonably afford it.

At this point, I'm somewhat torn on where to go with the character. I have two options that I see before me:

1. Drop the last level of Ranger (3rd favored enemy? Not really necessary) and reallocate some skills (the character hasn't really been played yet) to pick up the Knowledge (Geography) for Horizon walker, which I would take for six levels (hills, plains, marsh, underground, forest, shifting), and then possibly go back to ranger for the last few levels (mostly for the extra casting).

2. (possibly) Drop the last level of Ranger and instead pick up Psychic Warrior. This would give me extra feats, which would be helpful, but from what I have seen of the abilities it would give me, may not be all that useful beyond the fact that it's a full BAB class.

I have a strength of 16, dex of 18 or 20, wis of 16, int of 14 (I think), con of 14, and cha of 12 (I think). We had a 36 point buy for the stats and if we have +1 or higher in all our stats, we get a homebrew feat called Legendary which gives a stat boost at third level and every three levels thereafter (in addition to the regular stat boosts at every 4th level).

I'm pretty sure there's something better I can do with this character, I just can't see it. As a note, this is in Eberron, in case that is helpful.

Ruinix
2010-08-03, 12:50 PM
what is the final question ? XDDD i don't get it.

u have a build of a PC wich is alredy played?

(the character hasn't really been played yet)

how much is ""really"" ?!

and what is the final objective of the PC? just a ranger harraser or need to fit some rol ? track / trapfinding / sumoner / what ever.

whats are the sources allowed ? core ? splats ? dragon mag. ?

lev. starter ?

rest of the party ?

Adumbration
2010-08-03, 12:58 PM
Check out the tactical feat Woodland archer from Races of the Wild. It comes with 3 great benefits.

1) If you miss on your ranged attack, rest of your full attack - whatever attacks are left - gain a +4 bonus on their rolls.

2) If you hit an enemy with concealment with your ranged attack, you automatically pierce that concealment on your next attack. Note: this works against all concealment - displacement, blur, hiding in the bushes etc.

3) Ability to move after sniping, as well as hide.

The first one comes useful immediately after you get first extra attacks, the second is sort of a poor man's Pierce Magical Concealment and the third is, admittedly, circumstantial. Still, I think it's a worthy feat for a bow-user. It even has very light requirements: Point-blank shot and +6 BaB

Curmudgeon
2010-08-03, 01:12 PM
You seem to be worried about feats. Well, I came up with an archer build specifically to address that issue, though it's much more spellcasting-oriented than your build. It's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8638823&postcount=45).

MariettaGecko
2010-08-03, 01:14 PM
what is the final question ? XDDD i don't get it.

u have a build of a PC wich is alredy played?

No. I have played the character in our last game, but I have discussed with the DM, and he's going to rule that the character wasn't actually there, but rather that someone else was there, and my character will meet the rest in the next city they land in.

and what is the final objective of the PC? just a ranger harraser or need to fit some rol ? track / trapfinding / sumoner / what ever.

After looking at things, I'm thinking mostly volley ranger, tracking, etc. He'll generally stay out of range and fire from there. He *MAY* make occasional use of sniping attacks, but his main mode of operation is to fire from long range, and stay at range firing large numbers of arrows from there.

whats are the sources allowed ? core ? splats ? dragon mag. ?

lev. starter ?

rest of the party ?

I'm allowed to consider any source I want, but DM has right-of-refusal. Most likely, he will kill anything from the BoED or the BoVD. Dungeon or Dragon magazine will be sketchy, but may be doable. Secrets of Xen'Drik is right out.

I'm starting at level 12, due to my previous character having died. Other characters in the party include a Druid, a Sorceror, a Monk/Scout, a Healer, and an Artificer. Everyone except the Artificer is at level 12, the artificer is level 11 due to his item familiar having been destroyed.

Ruinix
2010-08-03, 03:06 PM
ok lets see. i gonna give u my dreamed "martial" archer wich i never get allowed :(

1 fighter targetteer (DR310 p38)(dex to damage) / 4 elf ranger / 2 deepwood sniper / 2 elf paladin (saves and ranged smite evil) / from here fill with what ever u want but most nice add are.

cragtop archer, enhance the long range archery and give some nice bonus to DR.

best sinergy with deepwood sniper is Dread Commando but have to take dodge and mobility and archery is feat hungry alredy ¬¬

straight ranger for more favored enemy and nice feats.

exotic weapon master if u take greatbow is nice too, pure raw damage is always nice.

totem barbarian only if u can get the weapon enhancement "mighty" add nice damage.

or Implacable (DR330 p84) variant of barbarian too but this one add DEX with his rage ^^, wich with targetteer ability add damage with the to hit ^^.

take Devoted Tracker (CAdv p107) for advance the smite evil damage to full PC level ^^
for the snipe purpose take the feat "woodland archer" and have 2 other nice tactical advange wich work all together
___

if u want it can be done a dual hand crossbow precision damager wich kick ass from 60' and deal some nifty damage.