PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/Spy

Furnok
2010-08-03, 03:18 PM
I’m looking for a class that will allow me access to a lot of skill points and availability to a lot of class skills (more than Rogue).

For some background, I started a campaign with a Warlock it’s the first time my DM has ever let a Warlock in a group (he thinks there broken). So my whole idea with this Warlock as to be the parties face (he has a 18 Cha and a 17 comeliness) I took the one invocation that gave me +6 to Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimidate then I used one of my starting feats to get the one that lets me have dark vision/see invis. As the campaign starts we find out that we are being hired to spy/gather as much info as possible without being caught about a neighboring country. So as we get into the first town we find out that in this country magic is very heavily restricted specialty offensive (No EB out in public). My character got really lucky and started out as noble so my starting gold was 3k, so my plan for the path of this character is to basically be a James Bondish character with less gun fights/explosions.

Diarmuid
2010-08-03, 03:24 PM
I'm not really sure what the question here is.

Lysander
2010-08-03, 03:25 PM
Take invocations to fly and be invisible. You can hover silently and spy on anyone.

Furnok
2010-08-03, 03:27 PM
I’m looking for a class that will allow me access to a lot of skill points and availability to a lot of class skills (more than Rogue).

The very first sentence...

Does anyone know of any prestige/home brew classes that give a lot of skill points more than 6 + INT per level

FuryOfMetal
2010-08-03, 03:31 PM
What race are you?

Also at level 6 you can take fell flight or...something invisible. These will greatly help with recon work. In the mean time you could take spider walk or leaps and bounds. Leaps and bounds would be useful for getting places, also it could be quite unnerving for guards if you are found climbing along a wall or cieling. Then when you get access to fell flight you could swap out whichever first mobility invocation you chose.

Furnok
2010-08-03, 03:36 PM
He is human, also are there any invocations that let you alter self?

Darrin
2010-08-03, 04:00 PM
Does anyone know of any prestige/home brew classes that give a lot of skill points more than 6 + INT per level

Ardent Dilletante (Planar Handbook) gets 6 + Int per level, but *all* skills are considered class skills (similar to Factotum).

Scout is the only one off the top of my head that gets 8 skill points per level, but that's a base class.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-03, 04:04 PM
Changeling sub level of rogue? You get 10+int, but I'm not sure if that is for every level thereafter or just for that one sub level. Useless now that you got the whole human thing going on... Maybe ninja? I don't remember it's skills off the top of my head.

gorfnab
2010-08-03, 11:14 PM
Chameleon from Races of Destiny is usually considered a decent dip for warlocks plus it gets you some abilities that could easily be used for spying or as party face, though it's skill points are kinda lacking. Although for a spy, the SPY MASTER prestige class from Complete Adventurer may have some of what you're looking for, especially the skill points (8+Int mod). Mountebank from Complete Scoundrel may also be worth looking into for sneaky spy like abilities, although it only gets 4+Int mod skills points.

Greenish
2010-08-03, 11:29 PM
Wait, what edition/game is this? What does "Comeliness" even do?

Furnok
2010-08-04, 08:04 AM
Its 2nd edition stuff, in my campaign Cha is the force of your personality the way you carry yourself, comeliness is your physical looks “how hot you look”

Tyrmatt
2010-08-04, 08:36 AM
I think Spymaster is probably a good choice for added face-y-ness.
I think 6 levels of warlock with the Extra Invocation feat should allow you to get Fell Flight and Walk Unseen (if my understanding is right. It might actually be 11 levels of warlock).
Some NPC classes also offer extra bonuses to being personable too.

Furnok
2010-08-04, 09:41 AM
I think Spymaster is probably a good choice for added face-y-ness.
I think 6 levels of warlock with the Extra Invocation feat should allow you to get Fell Flight and Walk Unseen (if my understanding is right. It might actually be 11 levels of warlock).
Some NPC classes also offer extra bonuses to being personable too.

Thanks for the help, I think Im going to go with Warlcok 6/Rogue 2/ then start Spymaster. I am also going to try to talk my DM into a invocation that will allow me to basically cast Alter Self sinces its only a 2nd level spell I dont think it will be too hard. Then Im takeing Balefull Utterence, Beguling Influnce, and see the unseen, the Invis one, and the one that lets me dimension door. The reason I dont go with the Fly is becasue its too risky in the extremely large city (who knows whos flying around with true seeing) and also it wont help to be able to fly indoors.

LibraryOgre
2010-08-04, 03:53 PM
As mentioned, I would go with Chameleon. It mixes well (doesn't explicitly improve your invocations, but gives you options), and the second level "floating feat" is awesomesauce for a warlock.