PDA

View Full Version : Need help on making some last minute cash...

BizzaroStormy
2010-08-03, 03:51 PM
With GenCon just ahead, I have a little less than 24 hours to make another $100 but can't for the life of me think of how to do it. I lack a job so borrowing from a bank is out of the question. I've attempted to borrow from all the friends I can think of and know for a fact my parents are broke.

The only long shot I know of is a shop that may buy my old computer but I wont figure that out until tomorrow.

Any Ideas from the playground?

Jack Squat
2010-08-03, 03:54 PM
Short of illegal activities, the best way to make $100 fast is to sell off your valuables or odd jobs. Since you have a day to do it, selling off your stuff is probably going to net you the best results.

BizzaroStormy
2010-08-03, 03:55 PM
Problem is the only thing I have(that I could part with) is the old computer and that's not even a sure thing.

Spiryt
2010-08-03, 03:57 PM
I tried to make some cash once, but I couldn't figure out how to make that tiny little eagle visible just from steep angle.

BizzaroStormy
2010-08-03, 03:59 PM
I tried to make some cash once, but I couldn't figure out how to make that tiny little eagle visible just from steep angle.

What?

Also found another possiblity. Gonna call the pawn shop about pawning (not selling) my guitar.

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 04:06 PM
Sell your body. Plasma is worth like, $40-$50 a session, WAY more than blood. Semen can go for double that if you have good genes, and is also fun to donate. If you have long hair and you can find a local place, you could cut it and flip it for $300-1000, depending on length. Won't work if you've ever died it. Plus, its a cool story, and you could even make a T-Shirt with your old picture and the caption "I sold my hair so I could afford to come to GenCon". Might get you some admiration and whatnot.

Jack Squat
2010-08-03, 04:06 PM
What?
Counterfeiting joke

Also found another possiblity. Gonna call the pawn shop about pawning (not selling) my guitar.

I'd recommend against that, especially with you not having a regular source of income.

BizzaroStormy
2010-08-03, 04:10 PM
Sell your body. Plasma is worth like, $40-$50 a session, WAY more than blood. Semen can go for double that if you have good genes, and is also fun to donate. If you have long hair and you can find a local place, you could cut it and flip it for $300-1000, depending on length. Won't work if you've ever died it. Plus, its a cool story, and you could even make a T-Shirt with your old picture and the caption "I sold my hair so I could afford to come to GenCon". Might get you some admiration and whatnot.

Plasma is out considering my sexual orientation and I doubt the one driving me to GenCon would want to stop at a sperm bank so I could make a "donation"

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 04:34 PM
Pawn shop or lawn sale. You must have some old crap you don't want and will fetch some cash.

BizzaroStormy
2010-08-03, 04:43 PM
Plenty of old crap i dont want but I doubt a bunch of broken toys from the 90's would fetch a very high price. Pus I dont really have the time for a yard sale

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 04:47 PM
Plenty of old crap i dont want but I doubt a bunch of broken toys from the 90's would fetch a very high price. Pus I dont really have the time for a yard sale

You'd be surprised what some people will buy and for how much.

Xyk
2010-08-03, 04:50 PM
In this situation, I would probably get a loan from a friend. I'm trying to think of how sexual orientation would affect plasma at all. It doesn't help that I know next to nothing about plasma. That quandary not not require an answer if you don't want to.

Mr. Mud
2010-08-03, 04:51 PM
Check your local craigslist if there are any odd jobs you can do.

However, the Sperm Bank idea really might be your most, ehrm, handy of options. :smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2010-08-03, 04:57 PM
In this situation, I would probably get a loan from a friend. I'm trying to think of how sexual orientation would affect plasma at all. It doesn't help that I know next to nothing about plasma. That quandary not not require an answer if you don't want to.

From here (http://www.adamscountyredcross.com/donor-requirements.aspx)

Risk Factors
You are at high risk for HIV/AIDS and must not donate blood if you have any of the following risk factors:

You are a male who has had sex with another male since 1977.
You have ever used illegal or non-prescription drugs by needle.
You have been the sex partner of a male or female prostitute within the last 12 months.
You have AIDS or one of its symptoms.
You are a person who has been given money or drugs for sex in the past 12 months.
You have ever had a positive test for the HIV antibody, indicating past exposure to the AIDS virus.
You have taken clotting factor concentrates for bleeding disorders, such as hemophilia.
You are/or have been the sex partner of any persons described above in the past 12 months.

Basically it's because it's against "Da Rules". I'm not sure any deeper discussion on it is appropriate for this forum.

Cealocanth
2010-08-03, 05:02 PM
What?

He literally tried to make cash, as in using a printer and an illegal computer program.

Also, I suggest babysitting a couple kids. That can get you part of the way there.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 05:03 PM
However, the Sperm Bank idea really might be your most, ehrm, handy of options. :smalltongue:

There's also the blood bank. Though you'll be light headed and have to watch what you do for the next few days.

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 08:51 PM
From here (http://www.adamscountyredcross.com/donor-requirements.aspx)

Those rules are for blood. Plasma is different. Plasma is the yellow fluid that the red blood cells (which is what causes the red color) are suspended in. Drawing plasma is more in depth than drawing blood, because they use a process to spin off your red blood cells and put them back into your body. You can only give blood about twice a month. You can give plasma about every 48 hours and they actually PAY you decently for it. It does take a bit more time than giving blood. You can generally give blood in under an hour, less if you are a frequent donator. Plasma takes about 2 hours your first time, and about 1.5 hours after that.

http://www.donatingplasma.org/whydonate/faq.aspx

Plasma isn't used for trauma, like blood. Its used to make vaccines and therapies to treat diseases. Since its mostly water, your body can produce massive quantities of it in a short period of time, assuming your red blood cell count doesn't change dramatically (which it won't, since they are putting them back).

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-03, 09:30 PM
Or you could just, you know, sell your body in a completely platonic and non-intimate way.

Jack Squat
2010-08-03, 09:36 PM
Those rules are for blood. Plasma is different. Plasma is the yellow fluid that the red blood cells (which is what causes the red color) are suspended in. Drawing plasma is more in depth than drawing blood, because they use a process to spin off your red blood cells and put them back into your body. You can only give blood about twice a month. You can give plasma about every 48 hours and they actually PAY you decently for it. It does take a bit more time than giving blood. You can generally give blood in under an hour, less if you are a frequent donator. Plasma takes about 2 hours your first time, and about 1.5 hours after that.

http://www.donatingplasma.org/whydonate/faq.aspx

Plasma isn't used for trauma, like blood. Its used to make vaccines and therapies to treat diseases. Since its mostly water, your body can produce massive quantities of it in a short period of time, assuming your red blood cell count doesn't change dramatically (which it won't, since they are putting them back).

I know all that. Regardless, I imagine that the medical history screening for donating is the same, in order to prevent contamination. I haven't personally gone through the process, so I wouldn't know firsthand. If you can correct me on that, go right ahead, but don't assume that because I didn't link to something for plasma donating that I don't know what it is.

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 09:55 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to insult. Was just adding clarification. I couldn't find anything on any of the plasma sites I looked at that notated any sort of descrimination other than height/weight and the obvious lack of blood disorders.

Jack Squat
2010-08-03, 10:30 PM
It's cool - I just had a long day and I don't take well to having things explained to me in what I think is a 3rd grade level. I forget that online no one can tell that I'm a college kid with a pretty decent medical knowledge base.

Anyways, looking at the local donating center (http://www.medicblood.com/newdonor.shtml) (Why I didn't think to do that before, I don't know) the restrictions are the same, and while it doesn't explicitly say what I bolded above, it does list "High risk group for AIDS virus" under the permanently ineligible list, which would be defined in the section I previously quoted.