PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Pathfinder sorcerer

Smiles
2010-08-03, 05:01 PM
Hello, I just started playing pathfinder about two weeks ago, and I was wondering if anybody could give me a hand in optimising my sorcerer? I have played a little bit of 3.5 but I am not used to making my own characters, and I have no experience with pathfinder.

The DM is using a 15 point buy, and because of the new book that just came out he is allowing me to change my character to the serpentine bloodline. i was just wondering if there is anybody here who could help me with this, or give me suggestions if I decide to keep my current sorcerer.

current sorcerer, infernal bloodline
strength 10, dex 11, con 12, int 12, wis 10, charisma 18
zero lvl spells, detect magic, read magic, acid splash, light
first level spells, color spray, charm person

Mystic Muse
2010-08-03, 05:18 PM
Assuming you're starting at first level Sleep is usually considered more effective than charm person.

What race are you using? Will you be using the Serpent bloodline (Don't want to know how that works) or the infernal?

Also, 15 pointbuy? That seems extremely low.

Runeclaw
2010-08-03, 06:25 PM

It is pretty low. That said, what's the Int for? I think you'd be better off putting those points into Dex.

Have you chosen Feats? Race?

Are you limmited to Pathfinder only or can you use 3.5 splat books such as the Completes?

Mystic Muse
2010-08-03, 06:48 PM
It is pretty low. That said, what's the Int for? I think you'd be better off putting those points into Dex. Maybe he wants the skill points?

Have you chosen Feats? Race? While I'm pretty sure the race has been chosen (Only way to get an 18 with that pointbuy) the feats might not be.

And yes, We need some more info.

Smiles
2010-08-03, 07:03 PM
Yes, I am playing a half elf,

I chose int because i did want the skill point and I was coerced into taking int instead of dex,

I took spell focus enchantments so the DC of my charm person, with the infernal bloodline, is 18

Thefurmonger
2010-08-03, 07:11 PM
remember Pathfinder point buy is NOT the same as 3.5, 15 PB is actually fairly normal.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-03, 07:20 PM
remember Pathfinder point buy is NOT the same as 3.5, 15 PB is actually fairly normal.

Really? From what I can tell it looks pretty darn low for melee. (Looking at a pointbuy calculator)

Smiles
2010-08-03, 08:13 PM
I believe I am stuck with only pathfinder rulebooks, I could ask the DM but he is usually very strict, everybody was surprised he is going to let me rebuild my character.

we are playing the kingmaker campaign if that makes any difference...

Thefurmonger
2010-08-03, 09:15 PM
And just to go into a tad more detail

According to page 16 of the Pathfinder rulebook 15 Point Buy is what to use for "Standard Fantasy"

Mystic Muse
2010-08-03, 09:16 PM
According to page 16 of the Pathfinder rulebook 15 Point Buy is what to use for "Standard Fantasy"

Standard fantasy? That sounds extremely vague.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-08-03, 09:54 PM

Belive it or not many Gm's like their party to start with stats that are only slightly better than average. for a "standard fantasy" The heroes should start as Slightly better, not amazingly better than everyone else they've ever met. factor in that pathfinder races all have a net gain of +2 rather than 3.5 which generaly have a net of 0, 15 isn't terrible. You get a bunch of slightly better than average stats or one awesome stat with a bunch of average

As for a good ideas for the sorcerer, Really i think we need to know what you want to do with this sorcerer. . are you gonna be a blaster and just make everything explode? are you gonna be a charmer? planing on being a utility sorcerer? what kind of things do you want to do with the character, it will greatly effect how you build it.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-03, 09:58 PM
Belive it or not many Gm's like their party to start with stats that are only slightly better than average.

I believe it. I'm just not a fan of it.

Hurlbut
2010-08-03, 11:12 PM
Actually the 15 points buy build is what the Heroic NPC have for his ability scores; 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8.

PinkysBrain
2010-08-03, 11:25 PM
The DM is using a 15 point buy, and because of the new book that just came out he is allowing me to change my character to the serpentine bloodline.
If you can change your character get the new human favoured class bonus in APG ... it's incredibly good.

As for the bloodline, Infernal is probably more useful. A no save shaken effect can be useful (doesn't stack with itself, but there are of course other shaken effects it can stack with). It doesn't matter much though, mostly comes down to flavour.

Hurlbut
2010-08-03, 11:32 PM
Dunno about the bloodline, but if you can change your character get the new human favoured class bonus in APG ... it's incredibly good.His DM allowed the bloodline, but would he allowed "alternative" options and optional rules?

PinkysBrain
2010-08-03, 11:39 PM
His DM allowed the bloodline, but would he allowed "alternative" options and optional rules?
The favoured class options are alternate, not optional (ie. it's not in the new rules section).

Paul H
2010-08-04, 06:31 AM
Hi

I would have taken Grease over Charm Person. It's better than sleep because it's only a standard action to use, and a good Battlefield Control spell at 1st level. WIth Cha 18 & SF (Conj), that's a DC 16 Ref save, followed by DC 10 Acrobatics. Not something Fighters in Full Plate are good at........

My Pathfinder Society (PFS) I've got a Sorceror/Paladin, going Dragon Disciple, but then we had 20 pt buy. Why the choice of Sorceror background? If we knew why, we'd be better able to suggest spells/feats.

Oh - and with that low Con, I'd suggest Toughness as your 1st lvl feat, or this might be a very short campaign........

Cheers
Paul H

Smiles
2010-08-04, 03:58 PM
I chose infernal because I thought it went best with my character's personality, I am the party leader because I have a high charisma so I chose charm person and stuff because I want to be charming and mostly harmless... which my character at the moment is...

other than that I dont really know anything about pathfinder...

PinkysBrain
2010-08-04, 05:22 PM
I chose infernal because I thought it went best with my character's personality
I think mechanics wise it's strictly better than Serpentine. So if you're happy with the flavour just stick with it then

PS. the human sorcerer favoured class ability to let you get extra spells known from the Advanced Player's Guide is uber.

Hawriel
2010-08-04, 09:22 PM
I chose infernal because I thought it went best with my character's personality, I am the party leader because I have a high charisma so I chose charm person and stuff because I want to be charming and mostly harmless... which my character at the moment is...

other than that I dont really know anything about pathfinder...

I like the character Idea. Subtle manipulation. Charm person is a good fit with a snake style blood line as well.

I highly recomend highten spell for a feat. It lets you cast any spell as a higher level spell. Wait untill you get 3rd level spells though. THen that 1st level charm person spell can be cast at say 5th level. if you have 5th level spells. Your DC just shot up to 20 with the spell focus charm feat.

Edit. I say wait till 3rd level because its not worth having the feat untill you can cast more than 1st and 2nd level spells.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-08-04, 09:34 PM
I was about to say that Grease is a good first level spell only at later levels, but in Pathfinder they increased the duration to minutes/level instead of rounds/level. Anyone know why they buffed Grease?