PDA

View Full Version : You know what would REALLY set Elan off?

krossbow
2010-08-03, 05:31 PM
If tarquin insulted his mother, or otherwise indicated scorn or disrespect for her.

Lets face it, Elan's a complete momma's boy. He constantly talks about what his mother taught him and how she brought him up ("cross class learning was the key to a rich and fulfilling life!") and the fact that she'd be sad about it was why he decided not to let Nale die.

Heck, he still has delusions that his father's going to marry his mother again. If anything would make Elan despise his father, it would his father talking down about her or threatening her.

Nevitan
2010-08-03, 05:34 PM
It would also really piss him off is Roy Murdered Haley.
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. There are a lot of things that would make Elan not like people.

super dark33
2010-08-03, 05:35 PM
if star wars will keep jumping i oots, elan will kill his father

Bongos
2010-08-03, 05:35 PM
Tarquin seems to have too much class for that, and enough intelligence to be able to do it in a way that Elan wouldn't catch if he did.

TheMac04
2010-08-03, 05:38 PM
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. There are a lot of things that would make Elan not like people.
What he's saying is that a lot of people expect Elan and Tarquin to betray each other and/or fight, so he's bringing up a way that that might happen.

krossbow
2010-08-03, 05:40 PM

Except killing someone and insulting someone require disproportionately larger amounts of effort and time, and are therefore significantly different in how likely each one is.

Insulting or disparaging someone only takes a moment, can be done out of hand and without any setup, and is more subconscious than someone killing your girlfriend.

Nevitan
2010-08-03, 05:46 PM
Except killing someone and insulting someone require disproportionately larger amounts of effort and time, and are therefore significantly different in how likely each one is.

Insulting or disparaging someone only takes a moment, can be done out of hand and without any setup, and is more subconscious than someone killing your girlfriend.

I was using a drastic example to make the point. I don't see Tarquin insulting his ex wife. Even if he did he could probably just talk to Elan to calm him down. It's not like one off hand comment about his mom would make Elan hate Tarquin.

Kish
2010-08-03, 05:47 PM
Don't you mean, "if star wars will keep jumping i oots[sic], Elan's father will sacrifice himself to save Elan"?

TheMac04
2010-08-03, 05:49 PM
Don't you mean, "if star wars will keep jumping i oots[sic], Elan's father will sacrifice himself to save Elan"?
Beat me to it. Apparently he doesn't understand Star Wars very well.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 07:12 PM

I think more confusion and awe in that Elan would probably be to stunned with shock wondering Roy killed his second in command.

Acero
2010-08-03, 07:15 PM
Beat me to it. Apparently he doesn't understand Star Wars very well.

He appears to understand Japanese Star Wars. You know the scene where Luke removes Darth Vader's helmet? In the Star Wars Japan, he removes Vader's head with it. Oh, and everyone is 12, because why not?

BTW: I don't read magna/manga. Just read about it on cracked.com

Starscream
2010-08-03, 08:03 PM

But at least he'll get a cool robot hand for it. Durkon will be cranky because Elan doesn't just let him cast Regenerate, but Elan is well aware of how important it is to look mysterious (and a robot hand, possibly borrowed off some sort of golem, is even cooler than an eyepatch).

I envision it as acting sort of like a Rod of Lordly Might (the D&D equivalent to a Swiss army knife). He'll have a built in can opener, magnifying glass, ten foot pole... and an emergency kazoo in case he thinks of a cool song that Roy will definitely want to hear!

Or maybe the D&D equivalent of a Swiss army knife is a factotum. Perhaps he can find some member of a tiny-sized race with Factotum levels and sovereign glue him to the stump.

I think I need to start getting more sleep at night.

TheMac04
2010-08-03, 08:05 PM
He appears to understand Japanese Star Wars. You know the scene where Luke removes Darth Vader's helmet? In the Star Wars Japan, he removes Vader's head with it. Oh, and everyone is 12, because why not?
Oh yeah, I've seen a couple scans of that manga. It looks weird, but actually quite interesting.

Acero
2010-08-03, 09:01 PM
Oh yeah, I've seen a couple scans of that manga. It looks weird, but actually quite interesting.

It's pure evil what they did to Chewy

TheMac04
2010-08-03, 09:11 PM
It's pure evil what they did to Chewy
Oh yeah, saw that too. That looked pretty bad. Turned him into a bumbling oaf, right?

Raging Gene Ray
2010-08-03, 09:29 PM
Perhaps he can find some member of a tiny-sized race with Factotum levels and sovereign glue him to the stump.

Only if he takes the Leadership feat.

That Elan not liking Tarquin for that particular reason would serve a purpose in the story and be in character for both of them.

krossbow
2010-08-03, 09:54 PM
I don't see Tarquin insulting his ex wife. Even if he did he could probably just talk to Elan to calm him down. It's not like one off hand comment about his mom would make Elan hate Tarquin.

You don't see the individual who's had his wives dissapear in mysterious circumstances and referred to elans mom as a goody two shoes who he abandoned insulting his ex-wife? And furthermore, the only way you'd calm elan down after insulting his mother would be by retracting your statement--something that a proud individual like tarquin (someone who orders people to their dooms based on arguing with him) would probably never do.

As has been said by another in this thread, this is something that would be in character for both individuals and LIKELY, unlike a ridiculous thing like Roy randomly killing people.

TheMac04
2010-08-03, 10:28 PM
You don't see the individual who's had his wives dissapear in mysterious circumstances and referred to elans mom as a goody two shoes who he abandoned insulting his ex-wife? And furthermore, the only way you'd calm elan down after insulting his mother would be by retracting your statement--something that a proud individual like tarquin (someone who orders people to their dooms based on arguing with him) would probably never do.

As has been said by another in this thread, this is something that would be in character for both individuals and LIKELY, unlike a ridiculous thing like Roy randomly killing people.
There's also the fact that Tarquin and Elan are BOUND to get in some sort of dispute. Them getting along, while hilarious, can't last forever.

Marnath
2010-08-04, 01:00 AM
This is random and offtopic, but i've been reading the War of Souls trilogy and it occurs to me Elan shares many traits with kender.... no wonder Roy has trouble handling it sometimes.

Nevitan
2010-08-04, 05:18 AM

I don't see someone as charismatic and manipulative as Tarquin being foolish enough to say something about Elan's mother in front of him. And I wouldn't say that Tarquin abandoned her. They had a divorce and he even took full custody of one of their children. He did move far, far away but he didn't do it in the middle of the night without telling anyone. Personally, I would expect Tarquin to take back anything he said that would irritate Elan, even if he thought he was still right. He sent Gannji to the arena because he argued with him in front of his son. We have no proof that he would send anyone to their deaths for a simple argument. The fact that he would sent someone to die because they insulted him in front of Elan makes me think that he would be more than willing to take something back to keep Elan happy and calm.

Morph Bark
2010-08-04, 06:51 AM

Even though Tarquin called Elan's mother a goodie-two-shoes, Elan would only think of that as a good thing. Especially since he views his father as being good right now - plus he didn't truly hate Nale, as in full-on, until after he found him with Haley.

And even if he ever starts hating Tarquin, I doubt he'll kill him. Because he'd think the story of their lives would be more interesting and dramatic if Tarquin would "narrowly" escape death.

Morquard
2010-08-04, 08:50 AM
I don't see someone as charismatic and manipulative as Tarquin being foolish enough to say something about Elan's mother in front of him.
I agree with that.
But he could be talking to Malack about Elan and they come to talk about his mother, and Elan just happens to stand outside the door and hear it.

Or perhaps Haley is the one who overhears it (or something similar bad). Tarquin decides its for the best if Haley disappears once he learns she heard him. She gets captured and jsut as Tarquin orders her death Elan wanders in on a completely unrelated issue.

The one thing that would set Elan off even more than insulting his mother (though honestly I'm not even sure that he would irrevocely hate someone for it), would be threatening or hurting Haley.

Dalek Kommander
2010-08-04, 09:43 AM

Tarquin is a man who abandoned one of his sons just so that later in life he could do the whole "I am your father" shtick.

So yes, the likelihood of Tarquin doing something is strongly affected by whether it involves disproportionate amounts of time and effort... which is exactly why killing someone is the very LEAST I expect him to do to set off Elan.

Ancalagon
2010-08-04, 09:55 AM
I think Elan is able to appreciate the full awesomeness of a father-son-conflict plot...

Of course this won't end in flowers and happyness. Given that we know Tarquin likes power (he tried to conquer some Empire for years and now has one) he probably won't let the gate-business lie as soon as he learns a glimpse of it. He probably is going to become one of the "nine sides".

jidasfire
2010-08-04, 10:40 AM
It does seem inevitable that Tarquin and Elan will come into conflict, but I don't think it will be over Elan's mom. It just doesn't seem Tarquin's style. He's too slick to be caught at something like that.

On the other hand, I could see Nale's next scheme to get at Elan involving their mother, since Nale is the sort of creep who'd sink low enough to go after his own mom to get at Elan.

AlexanderRM
2010-08-04, 11:40 AM
I envision it as acting sort of like a Rod of Lordly Might (the D&D equivalent to a Swiss army knife).

I have this sudden image of a D&D thingy set in RL (that is, RL geography and all) where some members of the Swiss army are armed with RoLMs (or Swiss Army Rods, as they'd be called in that case). Or maybe Rods of Peasantly Might or something, or perhaps those could be called Swiss Army Rods- in other words, lesser, cheaper equivalents so that everyone could be armed with them.
:)

hamishspence
2010-08-05, 03:53 AM
D20 Munchkin does have the Swiss Army Polearm- which can be used to produce any of a set of polearms.

Bedinsis
2010-08-05, 04:22 AM
I don't see someone as charismatic and manipulative as Tarquin being foolish enough to say something about Elan's mother in front of him.

I agree with that.
But he could be talking to Malack about Elan and they come to talk about his mother, and Elan just happens to stand outside the door and hear it.

Or perhaps Tarquin talks down to Nale, and in the spur of the moment insults Nale's mother without instantly realizing that he is also insulting Elan's mother. Which leads to an Elan-and-Tarquin confrontation, where the lawful Tarquin is unable to hide what he thinks of the twins' mother.

Kish
2010-08-05, 07:16 AM
Tarquin manifestly has no problems lying.

Killer Angel
2010-08-05, 11:23 AM
But at least he'll get a cool robot hand for it. Durkon will be cranky because Elan doesn't just let him cast Regenerate, but Elan is well aware of how important it is to look mysterious (and a robot hand, possibly borrowed off some sort of golem, is even cooler than an eyepatch).

I envision it as acting sort of like a Rod of Lordly Might (the D&D equivalent to a Swiss army knife). He'll have a built in can opener, magnifying glass, ten foot pole... and an emergency kazoo in case he thinks of a cool song that Roy will definitely want to hear!

Or maybe the D&D equivalent of a Swiss army knife is a factotum. Perhaps he can find some member of a tiny-sized race with Factotum levels and sovereign glue him to the stump.

I think I need to start getting more sleep at night.

Nah, tell me the truth... you were thinking of Blues Brothers 2012 and you went crazy... I know how your mind works! :smalltongue:

(Thread reference (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162397), for all you who don't know what I'm talking about)

thepsyker
2010-08-05, 12:12 PM

BTW: I don't read magna/manga. Just read about it on cracked.com
Was that page actually from when Vader and Luke were fighting in RotJ? I assumed it was from the scene in the cave, where Luke cut off Vader's head and he had Luke's face.

Or perhaps Tarquin talks down to Nale, and in the spur of the moment insults Nale's mother without instantly realizing that he is also insulting Elan's mother. Which leads to an Elan-and-Tarquin confrontation, where the lawful Tarquin is unable to hide what he thinks of the twins' mother.
Didn't Elan kinda do that himself when he was fighting Nale, calling him a bastard and all?

iDM
2010-08-07, 12:20 AM
Didn't Elan kinda do that himself when he was fighting Nale, calling him a bastard and all?

Yes, but Nale mentioned it on that occasion. That, and the facts that it wasn't really a direct insult against Elan's mother and that Elan would probably notice it more easily if someone else said it make me think that Elan would be angered more.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 04:30 PM
I doubt Elan would ever really lose it with Tarquin. If he can be civil to his brother here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0069.html) i don't expect anything worse for his father. He might still kill him, but reluctantly i think.

Scarlet Knight
2010-08-10, 08:50 AM
"Hey, son, what's got orange hair and goes 'Oooo oooo " during a tongue bath?"

:smallredface:

Darthteej
2010-08-12, 10:49 PM
I think it's a lot more likely that Tarquin will end up killing Nale, thus introducing a new recurring villain.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-08-13, 06:21 AM
how would killing a moronic recurring villain make him a recurring villain himself?

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-13, 09:24 PM
I think it's a lot more likely that Tarquin will end up killing Nale, thus introducing a new recurring villain.

I'm willing to bet money that Nale will make it to the end. At the very least, to the next Gate.