PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 large area attack advice

NM020110
2010-08-03, 06:38 PM
I am in a game at the moment where it appears that I will shortly be overrun by a horde of (well spaced) kobolds, spread out over about 200 feet. I am looking for a spell of third level or below which can quickly (I estimate we have about four rounds before they destroy the macguffin) kill or otherwise incapacitate a large number of them which is of third level or below. (I have mage of the arcane order, so I should be able to prepare it quickly). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Emmerask
2010-08-03, 06:49 PM
Stinking cloud might be your best bet lasts 1 round / level. nauseated enemies can only take move actions it lasts only for 1d4+1 round after leaving the cloud so the effected enemies must be dispatched quickly after leaving. Though it does depend on the terrain and other conditions if it can be used successfully.

The really large area attacks come later, or I´m forgetting a spell ;)

Koury
2010-08-03, 07:17 PM
Is the MacGuffin moveable? Would it be moveable if it were 1/16th its current size? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shrinkItem.htm)

jiriku
2010-08-03, 07:37 PM
You could convince them (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/majorImage.htm) that you've destroyed it first.

fryplink
2010-08-03, 08:04 PM
If they're standard kobolds, grease between them and the macguffin, or, since they are kobolds, a standard low-level blasty spell or two (I know, its a sin on these forums)

maybe some illusion spell, perhaps silent or minor image of a wall/pit around the macguffin (assuming they are moving toward it)

NM020110
2010-08-03, 08:37 PM
Stinking cloud looks to be the best, as the macguffin is immobile, and has one hit point. The illusions might work, but there is the possibility of the kobolds swarming it anyway. Here is a little bit more information, in case it would help:

Map:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_MDQ3-r1wO0Y/TFgoNSU8vtI/AAAAAAAAAB0/tmooq6FK6SY/s512/ST_Map_01-04.png

We are currently on a wall, which the kobolds are scaling with grappling hook crossbows. I was somewhat wondering if there might be a way to use that for advantage (a lower level wall of fire or similar, for example). Again, all help is appreciated.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-03, 08:41 PM
Wind Wall won't kill them but will stop them from crossing.
That said, what level are you guys? Round/Level spells won't last the whole battle if you're capped at 6.

NM020110
2010-08-03, 08:51 PM
We're at level 7. Wind wall seems to be perfect for an emergency defense of the macguffin, which is just about my entire task for the moment (I'm the battlefield reshaper). Out of curiosity, are there any spells (of any level, from any class, due to my use magic device of +26 before items) which can be maintained for a long time (preferred permanent or intantaneus) to act as defenses? For example, I plan to use lesser planar binding to get earth elementals to dig pit traps.

Keld Denar
2010-08-03, 09:11 PM
Pyrotechnics has a HUGE radius, a decent chance to blind most of them for a bit, and its just plain awesomesause. Won't help you kill em, but it'll thin out the population that can rush forth at any given moment.

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-03, 10:07 PM
Shape spell metamagic is your friend for battlefield control. Lost of great battle field control spells are really powerful with difrent shapes. Grease is great. Grease in a 40ft cone is fantastic. Lets see those little buggers climb a greased ladder. Aim the cone down along the wall for best effect.

Another_Poet
2010-08-03, 10:16 PM
I would hedge my bets.

Round 1, Stinking Cloud on one side.
Round 2, Sleet Storm on the other side.
Round 3, Minor Image to mask/duplicate/disappear the thing.

Eronai_Jantig
2010-08-03, 10:28 PM
A couple more ideas, just throwing them out there.

Solid Fog
Chained Power Word: Pain (Coupled with Solid fog, should kill seven per casting, if you can get it.)

NM020110
2010-08-03, 11:04 PM
I'll have to check on metamagic scrolls, because enchantment is one of my banned schools. Pyrotechnics looks like a good bet for buying a few turns. I'll look into retraining to get shape spell.

Any ideas for what would make a good trap spell (Permanencied symbols, walls of fire, etc)? I currently am using lesser planar binding (scroll) to dig out pits, giving me 200 foot pit traps.

jiriku
2010-08-03, 11:14 PM
Since you've got them around, the elementals can also rubble the entire approach, turning it into difficult terrain which will take them twice as long to cross. That will give your group twice as many rounds to pick them off with ranged attacks.

Chambers
2010-08-03, 11:53 PM
Reposted (Druid spells though - UMD some scrolls?)
Druids FTW.

Scroll of Move Earth. Make an empty moat before the wall and gates.
Cast Spike Stones (x2) on ground before the moat.
Cast Stone Shape (x2) behind the gates. Gates stay closed.
Cast Plant Growth on the whole field.
Cast Sleet Storm in front of the gates.
Soften Earth and Stone on as much of the field as possible.

That sould take care of any ground based invaders. Everyone grab a bow and pick off the flyers while the mage's drop AoE's on the monsters stuck on the ground.

For right now Glitterdust and Fog Cloud will block their visibility. Fireball will kill them.

When you have prep time later buy a Wizard scroll of Stone Shape and save it for the next rush. Pop a dome around the crystal when they rush. In between rushes make posts with wooden slats on them, staggering them around the crystal. Write on them in big letters in Common/Goblin "EXPLOSIVE RUNES".

UMD a scroll of Spike Stones around the crystal as well during next rush.

Person_Man
2010-08-04, 08:54 AM
Caltrops. Lots and lots of caltrops. Each successful hit deals 1 point of damage. Assuming that the kobolds have an AC of 13 (caltrops ignore armor), then each kobold only needs to move across 8ish squares before it is killed. The caltrops also slow down the movement of their targets and prevent charging or running, giving your archers more time to shoot them. And by RAW moving through an area of caltrops does not clear the square. They remain their perpetually until someone takes the time to pick them up.

NM020110
2010-08-04, 10:49 AM
Caltrops, stone shape, and the druid spell list looks to be a clear winner (at least until I can get another scroll of lesser planar binding).

Lysander
2010-08-04, 11:00 AM
This is above your level, but a solid cubic Forcecage would actually be perfect for this. Just cast it over the MacGuffin. Unless the kobolds have access to a pick of piercing or a disintegrate spell there's no way they can get through for several hours.

What might I ask is the MacGuffin? Because if it's small enough you could use Stone Shape to encase it in a large block of hard stone. That would provide protection from random attacks like a stray arrow, and require the kobolds to spend some time chopping at it with picks before they could damage it.

fryplink
2010-08-04, 11:13 AM
well if you have earth elementals, have them bury the macguffin until all the kobolds are dead (in a pit, covered so the kobolds dont know its location. Then kill the kobolds at your leasure

DwarvenExodus
2010-08-04, 11:46 AM
well if you have earth elementals, have them bury the macguffin until all the kobolds are dead (in a pit, covered so the kobolds dont know its location. Then kill the kobolds at your leasure

This sounds like a good idea, unless you have some reason not to. What is the macguffin?

NM020110
2010-08-04, 12:33 PM
The macguffin is a medium sized crystal, which is immobile and is impervious to everything but melee attacks. We will likely be facing much worse than kobolds in the future (including flying opponents). As for the solid bar force-cage; that would indeed be optimal. I am, however, considering the use of a permanent prismatic sphere as an alternative measure. As for the earth elementals, could I please get some wording advice to have them follow multiple commands over an extended period?