PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wild Shape Questions

Arillius
2010-08-03, 08:14 PM
I've got a few questions about wildshape, I'm making a dwarf druid that's going to use it a lot.

1.) Do they get the land speed of what they transform into?

2.) Since animals with armor proficiency can wear armor, does whatever you change into keep the armor you have on? Do your Ac bonuses go away?

3.) Any suggestions on stronger medium sized animals?

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-03, 10:06 PM
I've got a few questions about wildshape, I'm making a dwarf druid that's going to use it a lot.

1.) Do they get the land speed of what they transform into?

A: yes, its under the description for polymorph spells in general.p 212, first words.

2.) Since animals with armor proficiency can wear armor, does whatever you change into keep the armor you have on? Do your Ac bonuses go away?

You cannot keep the armor you had on. P 212 again states that your gear goes with you if you become a dragon, magical beast, animal, elementa,l plant or vermin.

Your bonuses from magic items other than armor still work.Your rings of deflection and amulet of natural armor still work for example. (212, fourth paragraph)

Since the magic bonus on say, +3 armor increases the armor bonus by 3, when the armor goes away that goes away too.

You probably can't take off the armor and put it back on the way you used to have to do with most of your magic items (it does resize, it does not transform) , but there's no reason you couldn't have barding made for your bear form (provided you warn the armorer ahead of time)

3.) Any suggestions on stronger medium sized animals?

well, thats one of the reasons pathfinder nerfed the polymorph insanity and made it more or less a static buff: You get +2 size bonus to your strength for assuming a medium sized critter whether its a bear, an orangutan, a wolf or a pony. That way they don't have to worry about what insane abilities you can get every time they stat out a critter. The strength is in the spell, not in the critter.

Pick whatever critter you need.

Kalrik
2010-08-03, 10:11 PM
Wild Shape functions as Beast Shape/plant form?/and elemental body. Those spells list what benefits the druid recieves from the shape. I would say that your armor does not change with you unless it has the enchantment that allows it (for the life of me I don't know what it is...Beast Skin?)

As for animals, for flavor, I tend to like wolves or the predatory cats, birds of prey, and small harmless animals.

Off OP's topic: Wild shape was nerfed, but not bad enough to hurt the class. Imagine the sparrow sitting in the tree using summon monsters and call lightining. :smallamused:

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-03, 10:13 PM
Wild Shape functions as Beast Shape/plant form?/and elemental body. Those spells list what benefits the druid recieves from the shape. I would say that your armor does not change with you unless it has the enchantment that allows it (for the life of me I don't know what it is...Beast Skin?)

Wild shape was nerfed, but not bad enough to hurt the class. Imagine the sparrow sitting in the tree using summon monsters and call lightining. :smallamused:

Better yet, imagine 1 crow in an entire flock of crows summoning monsters and calling lightning.

-You don't hide a needle in a haystack. You hide it in a stack of needles

Kalrik
2010-08-03, 10:14 PM
Such A Good Point!!!