PDA

View Full Version : Running a One-Off

Chugga
2010-08-03, 08:47 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to these forums, though I've been reading them on and off for a while.

The reason I'm posting is that I'm looking to run a one off session of Pathfinder for some friends at a LAN I'm attending in a couple of weeks. None of them have played Pathfinder before, though some of them are RPG veterans. I've never run a session of any system before as I've only been playing for around 6 months, and I was hoping for some guidance.

My current intention runs something along the lines of a haunted town type scenario, where a group of PCs wake up in the middle of a town filled with undead (or some other sort of monster) and have to fight their way out and figure out what's going on. I'll most likely prepare the character sheets myself ahead of time, and give my players the choice of who wants to play which. I want to do this so that I can give each player their own character backgrounds and motivations, and also because it will streamline play substantially, and help the players who don't yet have a good understanding of the game.

My target game length is somewhere around 4 hours, though I'm happy to give or take an hour or two. The PCs will most likely be around 5th level, as I feel this is a point at which the game is fun without being overwhelming.

Having said all that, my question is this: does anybody know of any available modules that will help me with putting together this game? It doesn't have to be a Pathfinder module as I'm happy to adapt specific encounters to my needs, I'm mostly looking for story ideas and possibly terrain grids and that sort of thing. Keeping it within the d20 fantasy family would be ideal.

Sorry for my wordiness.